Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 15 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:31 AM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

How do I stop crazy home run totals in the steroid era?

I am not too familiar with historical leagues. What I want to do is eliminate the steroid era. I have tried starting in 1990 and deselecting the automatically adjusting league total modifiers but around 95-99 the home run totals goes off the charts. mcguire had 4 seasons straight of 80+ HRs. What am I doing wrong? Should I just delete these guys from the game?
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #2
CatKnight
All Star Starter

You need to go back a little further. If you want 'no steroid era', then I'd freeze the numbers at about 1985.

McGwire's always going to be trouble. Strangely, he's usually more trouble than Bonds or some of the other. I'd consider knocking his power down a bit just to be sure.
CatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #3
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

ok i'll try that. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Operation_Shutdown
Bat Boy

'Tweaking' Ratings

In my 1st historical league run here (also first ootp league): loving it, but am noting inflated HR totals as well.

Dave Kingman (Power is 17/20) has hit 25 thru 60+ games (RL season had him hit 25 all year.)

If I bump his power rating down does that impact him at recalc for next year? I don't want to fine tune too much, but this power showing is disconcerting.
Operation_Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:59 AM   #5
HFBL
Minors (Double A)

Dave Kingman was one of the best home run hitters of his era, but he struck out too much for his era. He also bounced around between several teams. He actually played for 4 teams in 1977 alone, Mets, Padres, Angels and Yankees. Impressive!

Field of Dreams Baseball League (FDBL)
Hall of Fame Baseball League (HFBL)
Century Baseball League (CBL)

My teams:

My wife's teams:

HFBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:04 AM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Changing player ratings is not the way to fix this. How do the HR totals league wide look?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Michael Xavier
Major Leagues

Kingman was the career home run total leader in a historic league I just finished, and he played until his mid-forties, retiring in 1994, where he still hit 12 dingers.
Michael Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

I usually stop at 1985 as well, lower strikeouts than today, more SBs, more triples.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
bd001217
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFBL View Post
Dave Kingman was one of the best home run hitters of his era, but he struck out too much for his era. He also bounced around between several teams. He actually played for 4 teams in 1977 alone, Mets, Padres, Angels and Yankees. Impressive!
And, as a further bit of trivia, note that each of the four teams he played for was in a different division, and there were only four divisions at the time:

Mets: NL East
Padres: NL West
Angels: AL West
Yankees: AL East

I'd imagine he's probalby the only player ever to play in all four divisions in the same season.

Kingman was unique in a LOT of ways!

Last edited by bd001217; 11-15-2014 at 11:45 AM.
bd001217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
robothead
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd001217 View Post
And, as a further bit of trivia, note that each of the four teams he played for was in a different division, and there were only four divisions at the time:

Mets: NL East
Padres: NL West
Angels: AL West
Yankees: AL East

I'd imagine he's probalby the only player ever to play in all four divisions in the same season.

Kingman was unique in a LOT of ways!
Probably, ALTHOUGH Johnny LeMaster played in three of the four divisions in 1985 and everyone of the teams he was on finished in last place.
robothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
ElTiburon
Bat Boy

I've been doing a historical league and the numbers are high, but I don't really mind. I started in '98 so as to start the Diamondbacks from scratch. Quite a few players have hit 50+ since I started. In '98 Sammy Sosa had 51, Mark McGwire had 66, and Manny Ramirez and A-Rod hit 52. In '99, Ken Griffey Jr. broke McGwire's new HR record and hit 68, Jose Canseco hit 51, Jim Edmonds hit 50, Sammy Sosa hit 51, and Jeff Bagwell hit 50. Oddly, Jim Edmonds didn't end up playing in 2000. His contract with Anaheim expired and nobody signed him before the season started.

In 2000, there were even more home runs. For the third straight year, the home run record was broken, by Todd Helton of all people. Helton hit 75(!) and won the triple crown that year, batting .412 with 183 RBI. He also obliterated the single-season record for Total Bases with 548, as well as breaking the single-season record for hits in a single season (he had 274). Mark McGwire hit 67, Barry Bonds hit 52, and Russell Branyan and Fernando Tatis hit 52.

Some heavy stuff lol
ElTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElTiburon View Post
I've been doing a historical league and the numbers are high, but I don't really mind. I started in '98 so as to start the Diamondbacks from scratch. Quite a few players have hit 50+ since I started. In '98 Sammy Sosa had 51, Mark McGwire had 66, and Manny Ramirez and A-Rod hit 52. In '99, Ken Griffey Jr. broke McGwire's new HR record and hit 68, Jose Canseco hit 51, Jim Edmonds hit 50, Sammy Sosa hit 51, and Jeff Bagwell hit 50. Oddly, Jim Edmonds didn't end up playing in 2000. His contract with Anaheim expired and nobody signed him before the season started.

In 2000, there were even more home runs. For the third straight year, the home run record was broken, by Todd Helton of all people. Helton hit 75(!) and won the triple crown that year, batting .412 with 183 RBI. He also obliterated the single-season record for Total Bases with 548, as well as breaking the single-season record for hits in a single season (he had 274). Mark McGwire hit 67, Barry Bonds hit 52, and Russell Branyan and Fernando Tatis hit 52.

Some heavy stuff lol
lol yeah that's just the reason why I want to fix it

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
Old 11-22-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
Trebro
All Star Reserve

Jpeters, did you try stopping at 1985? Did that work?

I'm tempted to stop at 1981, because I like to make my adjustments every 5 or 10 years. But when I do my league, I want no part of those drug-fueled numbers.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote