Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

I officially thank God here for Baseball.

So, what prompted this sentiment? Seeing Derek Jeter in his first spring training at bat, and with his first swing, line a single to left and run easily to first. (When he slid into second after being forced out, I yelled at the TV: "Dude! Easy on that ankle!")

I love Baseball and I love the Yankees and life is good.

I know. Terrible way to start off this thread, talking about Baseball in terms of Yankees, so I anticipate it sinking like a stone on this board, zero replies. So be it. God will know and appreciate it!

Perhaps he's saying to some clerical angel right now: "Finally, somebody down there who appreciates one of the finer things I've created for them. Give him another 40 years to enjoy Baseball. Yes, I said 40! Don't argue with me."

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
So, what prompted this sentiment? Seeing Derek Jeter in his first spring training at bat, and with his first swing, line a single to left and run easily to first. (When he slid into second after being forced out, I yelled at the TV: "Dude! Easy on that ankle!")

I love Baseball and I love the Yankees and life is good.

I know. Terrible way to start off this thread, talking about Baseball in terms of Yankees, so I anticipate it sinking like a stone on this board, zero replies. So be it. God will know and appreciate it!

Perhaps he's saying to some clerical angel right now: "Finally, somebody down there who appreciates one of the finer things I've created for them. Give him another 40 years to enjoy Baseball. Yes, I said 40! Don't argue with me."
Thank God for baseball, but thank the devil for the Yankees.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-BacksJosh View Post
Thank God for baseball, but thank the devil for the Yankees.
Fair enough! [Without exactly agreeing, that is.]

Another good moment just now: Mariano Rivera throwing easy today. Last season victory lap coming up for him. Sad, but exhilarating at the same time. It's been a privilege to witness his performance for the past 18 years.

Two classy gentlemen of Baseball, Jeter and Rivera, despite their pinstripes. I will not debate that with anyone.

- Bru

Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Rivera surely has to be the most unappreciated player of this generation.

The case could be made that he is the greatest pitcher of all time. He has 1200 IP with an ERA+ of 206

And 141 playoffs innings with an ERA of 0.70

It is simply staggering. Perhaps that is why he does not get the credit he is due. It is simply beyond current understanding to comprehend his success in preventing runs.

If you saw his numbers in OOTP you would probably claim the game is broken.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
So, what prompted this sentiment? Seeing Derek Jeter in his first spring training at bat, and with his first swing, line a single to left and run easily to first.
Jeter pulled the ball?! I didn't know he could still do that!
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
AnotherAlias
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Surgically repaired ankles have a tendency to alter a player's swing to do things that he never could before.
AnotherAlias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
It's only spring training, but he impressed by striking out two of the three batters he faced in his one inning. Overpowering at age 43!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Yeah, and he looked good doing it, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherAlias View Post
Surgically repaired ankles have a tendency to alter a player's swing to do things that he never could before.
Like, playing another 5 years to age 43?

- Bru

Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Here's the thing, though. There is no greater game than Baseball (real or virtual versions). It even outranks Chess and Civilization IV!

- Bru

Old 03-09-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post

The case could be made that he is the greatest pitcher of all time. He has 1200 IP with an ERA+ of 206

And 141 playoffs innings with an ERA of 0.70

It is simply staggering. Perhaps that is why he does not get the credit he is due. It is simply beyond current understanding to comprehend his success in preventing runs.

If you saw his numbers in OOTP you would probably claim the game is broken.
His accomplishments are staggering but adjusted ERA+ appears to favor relievers. The career leader board for adjusted ERA+ at BR is completely misleading as it requires 1000 IP. Few of his contemporaries are close to that. Things look a little different when one compares apples to apples.

After looking at both charts I'm even less inclined to buy adjusted ERA+. Anything that puts Tom Seaver 37th to Pedro Martinez seems flawed to me.

Don't get me wrong Rivera is the best relief pitcher I've seen, but not close to the best pitcher. They can't be compared to starters in a fair way IMO.
Attached Images
Image Image 

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
Kobie
Minors (Triple A)

I love baseball. I utterly detest everything about that nauseating franchise from the Bronx.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:27 AM   #11
Tib
All Star Reserve

There is something life-affirming about baseball. After a long cold winter, it begins, in the blossom of spring, right about the time Our Lord rose from the dead.

It continues through Father's Day, and don't tell me that means nothing.

Then on through the time of blissful freedom for young men: the summer break -- a time when the burden of school has been lifted, if only temporarily, and is replaced by hours and hours of pick up games, catch with dad (because there's still sunlight left when he gets home from work), and long, almost neverending games of over the line which run on even after the sun goes down and the sky is lit with a charred orange color that reminds you of the Giants or the Orioles.

In the fall the game begins to falter, like all strong things that get too old; but the excitement at the end of a hundred days of worry and anticipation and nailbiting finishes and joyous home runs comes along with it.

No other sport has a Fall Classic, because no other sport understands the cycle of life and death like baseball; it's built-in. And as the sport fades toward the stillness of another winter it still grabs us one last time and keeps us in rapt attention as the game's best face each other sixty feet six inches apart.

And when it's over we cheer ourselves hoarse, celebrate the champions, then slowly come back down to earth like the snowflakes that will begin shortly to fall. Then we wait, patiently, for Mardi Gras, because to a kid Mardi Gras means March Grass and March Grass means the fields have awoken from their winter slumber, and that means baseball is coming. Yes, it comes the same time every year, right about the time Our Lord -- well, you know.

God, I love baseball.

Last edited by Tib; 03-10-2013 at 01:30 AM.
Tib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #12
hfield007
All Star Starter

a 52.7 WAR as a closer is absolutely ridiculous. Every 23.1 innings he grabbed a win in his career. Even the best relievers and starters of all-time (Walter Johnson, Cy Young, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Rollie Fingers, Bruce Sutter, Trevor Hoffman) need 40 innings AT LEAST on average over a career to grab 1 win above replacement.

Is he the best of all-time? Nah. First ballot hall of famer? It'd be a shame if he wasn't.

Last edited by hfield007; 03-10-2013 at 01:43 AM.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #13
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

You know what, Bru? I'm going to support you here.

I may not be a fan of the Yankees, but I cannot bring myself to rain hatred down upon them. I grew up outside of Boston, and I was a diehard Red Sox fan for the first two decades of my life. I hated the Yankees. I hated the team, I hated the fans, I hated the players and the coaches and the logo and absolutely everything about them. Nothing was sweeter than seeing the Yanks lose.

And then I came to my senses. It was somewhere around 2006-2008. It happened slowly, but I became disillusioned with the Red Sox and the entire organization. The players started whining, the fans became intolerable, and the ownership did nothing but cater to both. I started broadening my horizons - maybe, just MAYBE, the Sox weren't the be-all and end-all of the baseball universe. This was around the same time that the Rays were starting to pull themselves out of the pit of the AL East, and since I have family in Florida, I slowly but surely transitioned into a Rays fan.

Now I could finally look at the Yankees without the jaded glasses of a Red Sox fan. And you know what I saw? A pretty classy organization. What have the Yankees done to deserve all the hate that gets slung their way - besides winning? Pretty much nothing, especially when compared with the Red Sox, who for the past two years have been one of the most detestable teams in sports.

So yeah, I might not like the Yankees when they constantly take the division instead of Tampa Bay - but hate? No, I don't think they deserve that. I love Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter. I think they're two of the classiest players the MLB has ever seen (still hate A-Rod, but it's not simply because he's a Yankee). When Jeter hit that home run to get his 3000th hit, I was ecstatic. It was an amazing moment. And it's a shame that, to many, it was ruined by the fact that "ugh, he's a Yankee."

Also, baseball is awesome.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:06 AM   #14
darkredwing
Minors (Single A)

I love all things baseball, even the Yankees. Without them I wouldn't have someone to root against so much! Ha!
darkredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
VanillaGorilla
All Star Starter

Cool thread. A couple thoughts....

I have the utmost respect for Derek Jeter in spite of him being a Yankee. And that is big handicap figuring into my assessment.

Pedro Martinez may be right up there in under appreciated category with Rivera.

Compare the raw numbers for both Seaver and Martinez in their primes, and they are comparable. Then consider that Martinez pitched in an era where the players got bigger and the ball parks got smaller. Seaver pitched in multipurpose stadiums with acres of foul ground (yes, I know, I am exaggerating). Those don't exist anymore.

Seaver and Martinez were both great. Argue one over the other, and either side is fine with me, but Martinez is in the conversation of best pitcher ever.
VanillaGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib View Post
There is something life-affirming about baseball. After a long cold winter, it begins, in the blossom of spring, right about the time Our Lord rose from the dead.

Then on through the time of blissful freedom for young men: the summer break -- a time when the burden of school has been lifted, if only temporarily, and is replaced by hours and hours of pick up games, catch with dad (because there's still sunlight left when he gets home from work), and long, almost neverending games of over the line which run on even after the sun goes down and the sky is lit with a charred orange color that reminds you of the Giants or the Orioles.

In the fall the game begins to falter, like all strong things that get too old; but the excitement at the end of a hundred days of worry and anticipation and nailbiting finishes and joyous home runs comes along with it.

No other sport has a Fall Classic, because no other sport understands the cycle of life and death like baseball; it's built-in. And as the sport fades toward the stillness of another winter it still grabs us one last time and keeps us in rapt attention as the game's best face each other sixty feet six inches apart.

And when it's over we cheer ourselves hoarse, celebrate the champions, then slowly come back down to earth like the snowflakes that will begin shortly to fall. Then we wait, patiently, for Mardi Gras, because to a kid Mardi Gras means March Grass and March Grass means the fields have awoken from their winter slumber, and that means baseball is coming. Yes, it comes the same time every year, right about the time Our Lord -- well, you know.

God, I love baseball.
There have been some good responses here but even if yours was the ONLY reply, I would have been happy indeed. This is truly one of the best-written posts of ANY kind that I have seen in these forums, on ANY topic. The fact that it is about our mutual affection and reverence for Baseball just makes it all the more great. Thanks so much for sharing it.

- Bru

Old 03-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
You know what, Bru? I'm going to support you here.

I may not be a fan of the Yankees, but I cannot bring myself to rain hatred down upon them. I grew up outside of Boston, and I was a diehard Red Sox fan for the first two decades of my life. I hated the Yankees. I hated the team, I hated the fans, I hated the players and the coaches and the logo and absolutely everything about them. Nothing was sweeter than seeing the Yanks lose.

And then I came to my senses. It was somewhere around 2006-2008. It happened slowly, but I became disillusioned with the Red Sox and the entire organization. The players started whining, the fans became intolerable, and the ownership did nothing but cater to both. I started broadening my horizons - maybe, just MAYBE, the Sox weren't the be-all and end-all of the baseball universe. This was around the same time that the Rays were starting to pull themselves out of the pit of the AL East, and since I have family in Florida, I slowly but surely transitioned into a Rays fan.

Now I could finally look at the Yankees without the jaded glasses of a Red Sox fan. And you know what I saw? A pretty classy organization. What have the Yankees done to deserve all the hate that gets slung their way - besides winning? Pretty much nothing, especially when compared with the Red Sox, who for the past two years have been one of the most detestable teams in sports.

So yeah, I might not like the Yankees when they constantly take the division instead of Tampa Bay - but hate? No, I don't think they deserve that. I love Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter. I think they're two of the classiest players the MLB has ever seen (still hate A-Rod, but it's not simply because he's a Yankee). When Jeter hit that home run to get his 3000th hit, I was ecstatic. It was an amazing moment. And it's a shame that, to many, it was ruined by the fact that "ugh, he's a Yankee."

Also, baseball is awesome.
Good post, thanks. Remember something, seriously: "Hate" is a strong word. It's frequent use these days in non-warlike situations, especially in wholesome and enjoyable enterprises like Baseball, is unfortunate and a sign of the times in which we live. Is society the better for it? Hardly. Listen, all the years that I have been a Yankees fan, and they go back to the years when they STANK year after year, I never hated the Red Sox or any other team. Rooted against them forlornly, yes. Hated, no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkredwing View Post
I love all things baseball, even the Yankees. Without them I wouldn't have someone to root against so much! Ha!
Now, this I can accept. Bear this in mind, "youse" guys, when thinking about the Yankees. They're good for the sport in this regard!

One final observation about Baseball: Starting in March with exhibition games and going through the playoffs in October, there is a professional baseball game (forget about high school, college, semi-pro, indies, minor leagues) being played almost every day for EIGHT MONTHS OF THE YEAR.

Tell me I'm stupid for not subscribing to MLB.tv so I can at least catch the games of infer . . . ah, interesting other teams when my favorite one is off. Go ahead, tell me. Tell me!

- Bru

Old 03-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #18
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Good luck, Derek. Good luck, Mariano. Even when I'm not a fan of a particular team, I remind myself that each team has more than its share of great fans. Bru being one of them.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #19
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

God, I love baseball.
This quote still rings true. Opening night is just four days away!

jarmenia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:48 PM   #20
jarmenia
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

God, I love baseball.
Bump! Happy Opening Day!

jarmenia is offline   Reply With Quote