Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
oriole^
Minors (Double A)

An interesting historical scenario

I don't have any idea how exactly this could be done, but if I happen to gain copious amounts of free time in the near future, I might try it: instead of expansion team-by-team, MLB expands by gaining two extra subleagues - a possibility at two different points during its history:

The Pacific Coast League becomes a full major league (1951). MLB gains Oakland Oaks, Seattle Rainiers, Portland Beavers, San Francisco Seals, Hollywood Stars, Los Angeles Angels, San Diego Padres, and Sacramento Solons

The Continental League, championed by William Shea and Branch Rickey, becomes a reality (1958). MLB gains the New York Mets, Buffalo Bisons, Toronto Maple Leafs, Minnesota Twins, Denver Zephyrs, Texas Rangers, Houston Colt .45s, and Atlanta Crackers. (Names speculative. Also speculating that this league would form after the PCL joined - one of the main drivers for the Continental was giving New York a second team after losing the Giants and Dodgers to the West Coast, which obviously wouldn't have happened if the above '51 scenario took place. The Mets could have appeared in a different market with Jack Kent Cooke leading the way from Toronto as the biggest owner/proponent of the league.)

That gives you a 32 team league with 4 subleagues starting in 1958. I'm not immediately certain how to operate 4 subleagues in OOTP.

Anyway, just an interesting idea to throw out there...

Visit The Boardwalk for Sports, Gaming, and other talk!
oriole^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriole^ View Post
I don't have any idea how exactly this could be done, but if I happen to gain copious amounts of free time in the near future, I might try it: instead of expansion team-by-team, MLB expands by gaining two extra subleagues - a possibility at two different points during its history:

The Pacific Coast League becomes a full major league (1951). MLB gains Oakland Oaks, Seattle Rainiers, Portland Beavers, San Francisco Seals, Hollywood Stars, Los Angeles Angels, San Diego Padres, and Sacramento Solons

The Continental League, championed by William Shea and Branch Rickey, becomes a reality (1958). MLB gains the New York Mets, Buffalo Bisons, Toronto Maple Leafs, Minnesota Twins, Denver Zephyrs, Texas Rangers, Houston Colt .45s, and Atlanta Crackers. (Names speculative. Also speculating that this league would form after the PCL joined - one of the main drivers for the Continental was giving New York a second team after losing the Giants and Dodgers to the West Coast, which obviously wouldn't have happened if the above '51 scenario took place. The Mets could have appeared in a different market with Jack Kent Cooke leading the way from Toronto as the biggest owner/proponent of the league.)

That gives you a 32 team league with 4 subleagues starting in 1958. I'm not immediately certain how to operate 4 subleagues in OOTP.

Anyway, just an interesting idea to throw out there...
Atlanta Crackers would go really well with todays PC crowd
Old 05-01-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
oriole^
Minors (Double A)

True that...but they were the Crackers for about 50 years prior to 1966, and the Braves as a name is not without its complications.

You want to really confuse people: the Negro League team in Atlanta was the Black Crackers.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #4
Reed
All Star Starter

Several years ago I was in an online league and since I live in Georgia and wanted a historical named, I named my team the Atlanta Crackers but a couple people complain. I renamed my team the Atlanta Braves and that was fine with them. Strange.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #5
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Like the idea of 4 leagues with the winners playoff for the World Series. Please tell me no interleague or DH. Good luck.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 AM   #6
oriole^
Minors (Double A)

I think you'd have to go for a rotating style of playoffs rather than a seeding, particularly if there was no interleague play:

2019 Playoffs: AL vs. NL, PCL vs. CL
2020 Playoffs: AL vs. PCL, NL vs. CL
2021 Playoffs: NL vs. PCL, AL vs. CL
...and so forth.

Again...not sure how that could be entered automagically. You would probably have to fix the playoff bracket before every season.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #7
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
I'd go with the Federal League and then the Continental League, if I could, in such a scenario. The Federal League would consist mostly of teams east of the Mississippi, and the Continental League mostly of teams west of it, while the classic teams would not move out of their traditional locations needlessly. Just my thoughts here, that's all. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
Any progress on this? Just wondering, that's all. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:54 AM   #9
splat58
Minors (Single A)

Just saw this. Interesting idea. Could you expand with the Negro League before expanding with the PCL?
splat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #10
cavebutter
All Star Starter

To my understanding, sub-leagues are capped at two. Might be the best way is each league is its own division - with a custom schedule to avoid inter-division play.
History might be a problem, as you wouldn't be able to do divisional awards.

Maybe an association with each league standing alone would work.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote