Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #1
Mike1294
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Scouting

If you manually scout a player a couple of times in a row will the scouting accuracy go up?
Mike1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:54 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Yes, the more a player is scouted, the higher the accuracy.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
yankeefan1024
Minors (Double A)

is there a limit to the amount of times you can request new scouting reports
yankeefan1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #4
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeefan1024 View Post
is there a limit to the amount of times you can request new scouting reports
The only limitation is the time needed to get all the reports in.

I have noticed that when scouting the amateur draft, reports get old after about one week. That is, they drop down a notch in accuracy. Not sure why this happens so quickly, nor what is bad about this--does the report become less accurate? I have not noticed the ratings change at all on these guys.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
mmarra82
Major Leagues

Maybe someone can answer this...been playing the game for about 8 years now. Seems scouting has changed a bit. At one time you would have to request a scouting report during the season. Now it appears your lead scout has several players listed in his scout task list.

Obviously a change, can someone explain the change a bit more. Trying to get a grasp how to use this. At one time if a player was on waivers, I would request a scouting report on that player and have it within a day to evaluate if I should make a claim. now when doing so it states may take up to 14 days to get a report.
mmarra82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #6
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Scouting reports trickle in all the time, the scout is always working.

You have some control of this with your scouting budget and scout focus plus you can request reports on individual players.

Since your scout is always scouting you don't get near immediate returns on your requests for reports.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #7
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
The only limitation is the time needed to get all the reports in.

I have noticed that when scouting the amateur draft, reports get old after about one week. That is, they drop down a notch in accuracy. Not sure why this happens so quickly, nor what is bad about this--does the report become less accurate? I have not noticed the ratings change at all on these guys.
Once the report is produced it doesn't change. I think the reason it becomes less accurate is because the player may be changing so the report was accurate at the time it was written and may be less accurate as time goes by.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
Wallad89
Bat Boy

So you can select all draft prospects and add them all to the Scout's task list. But the emails after are crazy annoying. Started doing this from about opening day and everyone is very high scouted. Does automatic scouting even come close to this efficiency? I have only been playing 21 for the morning, I will update if I find anything different.
Wallad89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallad89 View Post
So you can select all draft prospects and add them all to the Scout's task list. But the emails after are crazy annoying. Started doing this from about opening day and everyone is very high scouted. Does automatic scouting even come close to this efficiency? I have only been playing 21 for the morning, I will update if I find anything different.
I don't know if there is one but maybe check and see if there is a filter in your mailbox to prevent those emails?
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #10
Wallad89
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I don't know if there is one but maybe check and see if there is a filter in your mailbox to prevent those emails?
I thought about this and it doesn't appear so, would still want to see major/minor league scouting reports though. Wondering more if the scout will scout everyone in the draft on his own so I don't have to tell him to.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #11
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Exploring entire draft lists with limited duration to do so. That bears a thread unto itself I think. Surely our scouts during such a period have to take some clue from the wider OSA contention. This may be conducive to influence by a renewed emphasis on the evaluation distribution tethered to phases and event clusters.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:37 PM   #12
thklein
Major Leagues

Do I need to request a bunch of individual scouting reports for the players in the draft pool, or will my scout automatically scout the players in the draft pool (assuming I put a reasonable amount of money towards amateur scouting)? It seems like I should have to tell my scout that I want to no more about the players I might be drafting.

I assume it's normal for the scouting accuracy to be low on almost all the prospects wihen the draft pool is first announced, right? Does that explain why most of the players are around 3 star potential? Will my scout uncover some higher potential prospects as he scouts the pool?
thklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
thklein
Major Leagues

To answer the second part of my own question, the answer is no. I manually requested a large portion of the draft pool. My scout has the highest potential as 4. Then, after a couple 3.5s it a whole bunch of 3s and 2.5 Are all the draft pools so mediocre in OOTP21 (its a standard league.)?
Old 03-24-2020, 04:13 PM   #14
Wallad89
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thklein View Post
To answer the second part of my own question, the answer is no. I manually requested a large portion of the draft pool. My scout has the highest potential as 4. Then, after a couple 3.5s it a whole bunch of 3s and 2.5 Are all the draft pools so mediocre in OOTP21 (its a standard league.)?
I think the draft pools are far more realistic, most players are mediocre at best. You won't know if a player is a sleeper until he becomes a good player years down the road. But you look at real life draft classes there usually aren't a lot of actual good players.
Old 03-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #15
thklein
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallad89 View Post
I think the draft pools are far more realistic, most players are mediocre at best. You won't know if a player is a sleeper until he becomes a good player years down the road. But you look at real life draft classes there usually aren't a lot of actual good players.
I disagree that the pool in the attached photo is realistic. No five star potential players. Only 2 higher than 3 star? Only 5 higher than 2.5? We're talking about potential. There should be a couple players with superstar potential and a few more with greatness potential in a typical draft pool. Either there is something wrong with my player generator settings, my scouting settings, or the game itself.

This also makes the draft a whole lot less fun. By the time I get to my first pick, the best players left will have a potential rating of, at best, a future bench player or middle reliever. At the end of the first round you aren't going to get superstars, but there should be players left with the POTENTIAL to be regular big leaguers.

My scouting maximum is at the league maximum, and 32% of it is going to amateur scouting. I don't know what other problems there could be on my end.
Attached Images
Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 PM   #16
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I roll with results. There are plenty of occasions in which my scout says to me, “What are you looking for specifically? Maybe I can dig deeper and feel better about one of these guys working out for you.”

It’s never been there, that one, he’ll be great!!
Old 03-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #17
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
Once the report is produced it doesn't change. I think the reason it becomes less accurate is because the player may be changing so the report was accurate at the time it was written and may be less accurate as time goes by.
Yes, I agree with the logic. However that is true of all the players, not just a few. They all might be changing. That's why rescouting is necessary.

Why do some players drop down a notch and not others? If I look at the scouting report history, sometimes the numerical estimates of (say) Contact has change by one, sometimes none of the ratings changed. Yet the report has gone a tic in accuracy. Why?
Old 03-25-2020, 03:24 PM   #18
BURNS81
Minors (Double A)

How does this work if I play in manager only mode? Does scout just randomly scout players or can I assign work as a manager?
BURNS81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #19
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thklein View Post
I disagree that the pool in the attached photo is realistic. No five star potential players. Only 2 higher than 3 star? Only 5 higher than 2.5? We're talking about potential. There should be a couple players with superstar potential and a few more with greatness potential in a typical draft pool. Either there is something wrong with my player generator settings, my scouting settings, or the game itself.

This also makes the draft a whole lot less fun. By the time I get to my first pick, the best players left will have a potential rating of, at best, a future bench player or middle reliever. At the end of the first round you aren't going to get superstars, but there should be players left with the POTENTIAL to be regular big leaguers.

My scouting maximum is at the league maximum, and 32% of it is going to amateur scouting. I don't know what other problems there could be on my end.
This has been spoken about in another thread but no, that's literally exactly what Fangraphs' draft report looks like right now. Nobody over 60 (which would be around 3 stars), only a handful of players as high as 55. Generally speaking you don't see those 80 quality prospects until they've played in the minors for a year or two at least.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 PM   #20
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Another thing I'm noticing when scouting the draft pool, is that the 'Approximate Duration' becomes meaningless when you re-scout. That is, I get the usual range of 7 to 9 days, but the report pops up the next day. The result moves the Scouting Accuracy up on all the players.

This is true of both the group of players I'm rescouting, and those I'm adding for the first time.

A possible answer is that the scout has seen these 'new' requests while doing the original batch of kids. However, how would that be programmed? I understand how that happens in real life, but how would that have been written in code?