Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #1
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Lightbulb What strategies do you employ that are not common in MLB?

I've been noticing this season that the role of a traditional closer in MLB is starting to blur. Basically everyone in Baltimore or Seattle has a SV.

Last year we had openers. A bunch of years ago defensive shifts started to take shape.

It got me thinking about if I do anything atypical of today's modern MLB game.

I have a lot of my RPs go 2 IP each game. Not just 1.

Anyone else consistently do things that may not be common place in MLB?
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
I bat my pitcher 8th. It happens in MLB, but isn't common.

I also tend not to warm-up my relievers, send them out there, and they get rocked. I don't think managers ever fail to warm-up their relievers. (I always forget to warm-up a pitcher. Should probably just turn on the no-warm-up checkbox).
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:26 AM   #3
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Bunting? I remember in the Japan series, the announcers were talking about how it’s still much more prevalent in Japanese baseball than MLB these days. I don’t quite use it that much, but I always consider it when needing to make a run from somewhere.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorseMoose View Post
I bat my pitcher 8th. It happens in MLB, but isn't common.

I also tend not to warm-up my relievers, send them out there, and they get rocked. I don't think managers ever fail to warm-up their relievers. (I always forget to warm-up a pitcher. Should probably just turn on the no-warm-up checkbox).
Yeah, turn it off. Rationalize it as your pitching coach handles that duty.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:43 AM   #5
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketsAintFull View Post
Bunting? I remember in the Japan series, the announcers were talking about how it’s still much more prevalent in Japanese baseball than MLB these days. I don’t quite use it that much, but I always consider it when needing to make a run from somewhere.
I never bunt unless it's with a pitcher and there are 0 outs.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
jcmurr
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
This for sure. I tend to have always have an excellent defensive-type middle infielder in my saves who can bunt. With no outs, man on first in a tight game, with better hitters coming up behind, I'm not sure I can rationalize not bunting in most situations. It's more old-school but anecdotally, it has served me well.

That's very situational though and not a larger strategy.
jcmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:49 AM   #7
texasmame
All Star Starter

I lead the world in hit-and-run plays. Seems to be not much downside; seldom thrown out or line in to DP. Then again, most of my team are good contact guys so maybe that's why. Just gotta stay out of that GIDP inning-killer!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #8
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

A little unconventional, I read this article on fangraphs https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-inter...illy-hamilton/

That gave a pretty interesting way to use him. I have talk about this in my dynasty - he's had some pretty dominant seasons using it.

https://youtu.be/zRgAVOzX3eU?t=319
Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrtoothtiger View Post
A little unconventional, I read this article on fangraphs https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-inter...illy-hamilton/

That gave a pretty interesting way to use him. I have talk about this in my dynasty - he's had some pretty dominant seasons using it.

https://youtu.be/zRgAVOzX3eU?t=319
That was a very interesting read, thanks
Old 04-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

About the only one I've used is to have a reliever/1b/of/dh on my roster and use them both out of the bullpen as well as a bat off the bench or even starter against lefties if I have a platoon opportunity. It seems to work pretty well and gives you more flexibility with your roster.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #11
sabrtoothtiger
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
That was a very interesting read, thanks
Here is another update after playing a few more seasons using this strategy...

https://youtu.be/IFo6rwj8iBk?t=117
Old 04-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #12
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

and, you can see by teh way billy hamilton responded that in this current culture it's not something you can do with anyone that has an ego the size of cincinnatti

because, he isn't that good with a 300obp and no power. but, he thinks of himself as a starter.... maybe on a bottom 1/3rd team with no hopes to make th eplayoffs he's an excellent choice for lead-off, but not on a team with abundant talent.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Something I am thinking about playing with is 3 starters, low pitch count, but bring them back more often. target would be twice through the lineup for the starter, every 3rd day. Use others SPs as long relief, or unload them for relievers.

I heard a discussion about this a couple years back, and it sounded interesting. It would take some tweaking to get the system to manage it for autoplay.
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I try to have 5 spots open in my 40 man and load up on Rule 5 players. Then try to trade them at of spring training when people are about to hit the 60 day dl. Most of the time I can move them and if I can't I send them back to their teams.

If I have a good chunk of change I try to nab some over priced 1 year players on the trading block. The other team is looking to dump salary then I'll trade them eating 100% of the salary. Can usually get some nice prospects. Depending on money sometimes I can get 2-3 stars and sometimes just 1. Depends on those contract sizes.

It's more like a 3 team trade in the NBA. Where the one time is eating the salary is using it to get around the cap rules.

Typically a lot of the dynasty or win it now teams might not have much money left come trade deadline and they usually have some nice prospects. I don't mind eating the money because its not being used anyway.

I also use this same method to see which teams are dumping players not necessarily star players but average ball players they often will eat the entire contract or part of it. So when I trade them I only eat part of it thus allowing more moves to be made.

I use all the financial tricks to acquire assets. I'm not even opposed to paying 5 million for the top international amateur promoting him immediately and trading him away. He might develop in 5 years into a super star but I can probably get an all-star who will be in the majors in 2-3 years in return.

#TrustTheProcess
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:58 PM   #15
MorseMoose
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andjbock View Post
Yeah, turn it off. Rationalize it as your pitching coach handles that duty.
I think I also read once that the AI doesn't use "warm-up" logic, so you're at a disadvantage.

I already allow my bench coach to set defense, so don't see why this would be any different.
MorseMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #16
Wingedlion14
Minors (Double A)

I routinely go to a 6-man rotation in September if I have a big enough lead in the division race to save innings for my top starters.

I never steal, unless it’s garbage time in a game and my owner had been hounding me about steals in the owner goals, or I’m gunning for a record.

I never bunt. I hate giving away outs.

I don’t like to have somebody who’s just a “bat off the bench”. If you’re good enough of a hitter to be considered that, then you should be starting. And if you’re not starting, because your defense is bad and I’ve already got a DH, youre either in the minors or traded. (Note - I usually play AL clubs).

I’ve never used a defensive replacement. If you’re not good enough to play the field, you’re either the DH or traded.

I want all my relievers to be able to give me 9 batters if asked. If im in a playoff game that goes into deep extras, I want to know that the other team runs out of relievers first.

It rarely works out this way, but I like one of the guys on my bench to have at least passable pitching skills. So if I’m getting shelled, I can put him in to pitch and eat up innings so I don’t burn the pen in a game i lose by 15.
Wingedlion14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #17
curt
Major Leagues

I run and hit a lot.
curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 PM   #18
DaBears
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmame View Post
I lead the world in hit-and-run plays. Seems to be not much downside; seldom thrown out or line in to DP. Then again, most of my team are good contact guys so maybe that's why. Just gotta stay out of that GIDP inning-killer!
Curious on this - I use a lot of hit and run as well (I manage the Giants a lot, so both because of the ballpark and the fact I might actually run faster than most of their team), but have found in OOTP 20 it seems to be less successful. It feels like I get a lot more swing and miss, them thrown out. Do you think they have changed the settings a bit?
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #19
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
i manage my pitchers pitch counts very hard. it's very rare that my SP will go more than 85 pitches or 5 innings. build a dominant bullpen, play the matchups, dont let the starter face the lineup for a 3rd time. highest leverage spot goes to the best reliever available for the spot, bullpen roles dont really exist for me. i think this is the way pitching is going, maybe for better or for worse, but i have been using this strategy for most of 19 and all of 20 so far and it has worked out very well for me
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:02 PM   #20
texasmame
All Star Starter

I also have my pitcher take the maximum number of pitches (I play on one-pitch mode) unless a man is on and it's a clear bunt situation. A successful pitcher AB to me, shy of a hit, is getting the opposing starter to throw 6 pitches.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote