Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

Crazy amount of Injuries to Starting Pitchers?

With Injuries on normal, my starting pitchers each go out for at least 2 weeks a year, and seems like there is 1 big inury every time. Am I doing something wrong? Should I change the Hook SP strategy to closer to quick?
drewandpedey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #2
jaguar8311
Minors (Triple A)

I actually find OOTP replicates injuries really well.

The fact of the matter is that injuries are that frequent especially in baseball. How rare is it that a team DOESENT have a Pitcher that goes down for significant periods of time.

As a Jays fan, we lost Sanchez all of last year. Stroman is now out until Mid-June
jaguar8311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

yeah - pitchers often miss time, but im having so many injuries, its forcing me to end up using 9 or 10 different starters in a season.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewandpedey View Post
yeah - pitchers often miss time, but im having so many injuries, its forcing me to end up using 9 or 10 different starters in a season.

Maybe hire a better team doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

In the 2017 Major Leagues:
  • 316 pitchers started at least 1 game, or 10.53/team
  • 270 pitchers started at least 3 games, or 9/team
  • 239 pitchers started at least 5 games, or 7.97/team

I wouldn't call it a "crazy" amount of injuries, I'd say you are experiencing what the average MLB manager needs to deal with each year

If you want to try to reduce the number of injuries to your SP you could:
  • only use starting pitchers with normal or better injury ratings, maybe even durable or better.
  • have a team doctor that is great with preventing injuries to pitchers.
  • Maybe use strict pitch counts
  • Maybe a 6 man rotation would help because pitcher would throw fewer innings.

Last edited by byzeil; 05-22-2018 at 05:40 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
Gorinski
Minors (Single A)

I have no problem with the amount of injuries to pitchers but my issue is that pitchers who are injury-proned get far too many injuries and those that are not get too few. I think an adjustment needs to be made to balance it a little. When a pitcher has an "Overall Proneness" rating of 200 (as found in editor) he is worthless. I just noticed that one of these pitchers had 12 different injuries in one season. That just doesn't seem realistic.

Also, in real-life some pitchers who start their careers as injury-prone will suddenly have have several years without injuries (and vice-versa). So I don't think a pitcher should be condemned to be injury-prone throughout their entire career. I haven't noticed if injury ratings are static for all players. If they are I think they should be allowed to go up or down throughout their careers. I hate having to dump players early on because there is no hope they will be able to stay healthy in the future.
Gorinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorinski View Post
Also, in real-life some pitchers who start their careers as injury-prone will suddenly have have several years without injuries (and vice-versa). So I don't think a pitcher should be condemned to be injury-prone throughout their entire career. I haven't noticed if injury ratings are static for all players. If they are I think they should be allowed to go up or down throughout their careers. I hate having to dump players early on because there is no hope they will be able to stay healthy in the future.

This is an excellent point. Player injury proneness goes up when players suffer injuries but AFAIK it never goes down. A player can still string together seasons without any injuries (or at least major ones) even with a high injury rating, but it'd be cool to see that go down for some players over time. Maybe make it a storyline thing ('player x rehabs very well, changes up his play style to avoid injury' type of thing).
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:49 PM   #8
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by byzeil View Post
In the 2017 Major Leagues:
  • 316 pitchers started at least 1 game, or 10.53/team
  • 270 pitchers started at least 3 games, or 9/team
  • 239 pitchers started at least 5 games, or 7.97/team

I wouldn't call it a "crazy" amount of injuries, I'd say you are experiencing what the average MLB manager needs to deal with each year

If you want to try to reduce the number of injuries to your SP you could:
  • only use starting pitchers with normal or better injury ratings, maybe even durable or better.
  • have a team doctor that is great with preventing injuries to pitchers.
  • Maybe use strict pitch counts
  • Maybe a 6 man rotation would help because pitcher would throw fewer innings.
Huh thanks - Those numbers are a little bit higher than what I thought they'd be, so closer to what's happening to me than I thought. Just frustrating the way it happens I guess, guy goes out for 2 weeks, once he's healthy again, someone else gets tendinitis. I think I can try and use those suggestions to get it down to those numbers. Thanks!