Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 06-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
gehrig38
Hall Of Famer

The only baseball sim I've ever gotten addicted to...

So I'll preface my post by saying I spent about 22 years playing the real thing, and have been a gamer my whole life, but not sports games for the most part (I was addicted to APBA as a kid).
I absolutely love this game and am impressed as hell as someone that now owns a game development company (38 Studios Frontpage | 38 Studios btw!) at the quality of the software this team has made.
That being said, I need some tips
I love fictional leagues, and on the hard drive I have being put into a new machine is my first and favorite league with OOTP 11, in season 20 something now, and it's a blast.
OOTP 12 has come out so while I wait, I have started a new league. Fictional, and need some help.
How do feeder leagues work?
I wanted to start my new league with max player age being mid 20's to allow all players a chance to play lengthy careers (Hated fictional leagues with 39 year old first year guys).
My issues are few, but I have questions.
In my June draft all my players are 17-19, no older, where did I mix that up?
I put 2 large HS and College Feeder leagues in after a few weeks into the season (after reading threads here!) and can't seem to get their schedules for this year to work, both seem to not want to start until next year.
My comments on this version, compared to 11.
Computer controlled teams have pitching staffs that are too small, many are 9, whereas I usually end up with 11, at least, sometimes 12 early in fictional team careers due to sucky starters.
I fire my personnel to make sure I hire the best of the best for fictional teams, and would LOVE a button to create a large amount of coaches/scouts etc., instead of having to make them 1 at a time. Since I'll create until I get real good people in every position.
I hate that my first day of a new league I usually have a sucky scout I cannot replace until after the draft, since if I fire him I go into the draft with OSA ratings only. I should have a few days to get my organization in shape before drafting.
Still can't seem to get the injury and trading pace to my liking (though it's early and 12 seems to be much more cautious and realistic about injuries and trades so far).

I know i have more but this is a really good game guys, well done.
Curt
gehrig38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Glad you enjoy it!
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
WilltheThrill22
Bat Boy

Quite the compliment to Marcus given the source. Guess my mind is made up. If the game is good enough for Curt it is good enough for me!!

Last edited by WilltheThrill22; 06-23-2011 at 09:45 AM.
WilltheThrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
JWay
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
So I'll preface my post by saying I spent about 22 years playing the real thing, and have been a gamer my whole life, but not sports games for the most part (I was addicted to APBA as a kid).
I absolutely love this game and am impressed as hell as someone that now owns a game development company (38 Studios Frontpage | 38 Studios btw!) at the quality of the software this team has made.
Welcome! Don't be afraid to give OOTP a shout out on twitter, many baseball fans need to see the light!

Quote:
I love fictional leagues, and on the hard drive I have being put into a new machine is my first and favorite league with OOTP 11, in season 20 something now, and it's a blast.
Fictional is the best way to go!

Quote:
I wanted to start my new league with max player age being mid 20's to allow all players a chance to play lengthy careers (Hated fictional leagues with 39 year old first year guys).
Feeder leagues basically allow you to follow high school and college baseball player directly into the draft. They do not exist in much of the way you imagine in real life, as many of the players in the feeder leagues from each team will make the draft.

As for dealing with 39 year old rookies, there' are plenty of guys/gals around here who start a league and set it on auto-pilot for 10-15 years. Then they jump in taking over whatever team that hires them or they like. Those older gentlemen then retire quickly, and then you can jump into a live and robust fictional league that has some foundation.

Quote:
I put 2 large HS and College Feeder leagues in after a few weeks into the season (after reading threads here!) and can't seem to get their schedules for this year to work, both seem to not want to start until next year.
In OOTP its best to set things up like new leagues or major league changes in February. Outside of that, the game has trouble putting all of it together. It can be done outside of February, but it requires quite bit of hand work and modification.

Quote:
Computer controlled teams have pitching staffs that are too small, many are 9, whereas I usually end up with 11, at least, sometimes 12 early in fictional team careers due to sucky starters.
What era are you setup to play in? If you're set to play in the Modern Day era, pitching staffs should be 11 or 12.
Quote:
I fire my personnel to make sure I hire the best of the best for fictional teams, and would LOVE a button to create a large amount of coaches/scouts etc., instead of having to make them 1 at a time. Since I'll create until I get real good people in every position.
You can create a second GM profile in your game, call him the commissioner, then edit your current staff to whatever ability you want them at. But its a good feature request either way.

Quote:
I hate that my first day of a new league I usually have a sucky scout I cannot replace until after the draft, since if I fire him I go into the draft with OSA ratings only. I should have a few days to get my organization in shape before drafting.
See above, enter commissioner mode, then edit the scout.

Quote:
Still can't seem to get the injury and trading pace to my liking (though it's early and 12 seems to be much more cautious and realistic about injuries and trades so far).

Curt
Glad you like the game! 12 is improved in the injury and trade department, but there's always room to grow!
JWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That being said, I need some tips
OOTP 12 has come out so while I wait, I have started a new league. Fictional, and need some help.

Curt
Curt? As in Curt Schilling? No way! That's awesome!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Now I'm glad I added that "Curt Schilling" quote in the hints file.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #7
md5423
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
haha exactly my reaction!
md5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Curt-Schilling | 38 Studios

That's awesome. Wow, Schilling playing this game, loving it and posting here!

Spread the word Curt, we need more MLB players on this forum.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
JWay
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
Curt-Schilling | 38 Studios

That's awesome. Wow, Schilling playing this game, loving it and posting here!

Spread the word Curt, we need more MLB players on this forum.
Specifically, Ross Gload.
JWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Coaches and scouts can be edited to be whatever you want them to be as soon as the game is created. Start your league up with your manager in Commissioner mode, then go to your team's team menu, drop down in it to "team personnel," the go to the individual "scouting" and "team personnel" tabs, select the scout or coach's "action" button, select "open person profile," and then select "editor." Don't forget to hit the "apply" button when done. And that's it! Quality scout, quality coaches.

OOTP is the best baseball game out there. I have bought and tried them all, and none of them comes even close.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 06-23-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Bad preposition usage. Bad Wolf!
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #11
luger
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
I agree with this.

However, one suggestion for you that may help your fictional league experience... Try building your league then simming out a decade or two to build a recordbook and history and also erase some of the inaugural draft guys as they are often of a different mold than those that come through the June draft. I read this suggestion on the forums here and am trying it for the first time and think it is the way to go. I started in 1963, simmed 20 years, erased league history then simmed another 20+ years to get to present day. At that point, I throw all the players into the pool for a new league draft and take over for a team...

You can have better choice of scouts this way if that's a concern of yours... So you can enter the draft with a good scout team by getting that set before you start the draft.
luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
Curt's pretty well known in the gaming community. Ask him about Advanced Squad Leader (which he is really, really good at). Or World of Warcraft.

He's known to enjoy engaging, quality games, and so, given his love of baseball, OOTP is a natural for him.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Dutchy
Minors (Double A)

Location: The Hague (City of International Justice), The Netherlands.
I bet this one is going to be a very lengthy thread!
Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #14
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
I bet this one is going to be a very lengthy thread!
Well it should be. It's like having Schilling in your living room.

Now if he could only post his autograph!
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
DCHepler25
All Star Starter

Quote:

Or the bloody sock.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #16
falkonisback
All Star Reserve

Wow, that is pretty awesome!!!
falkonisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #17
Dutchy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

How about he'd handwrite his questions together with his autograph, upload it to this thread and maybe even to his Twitter-account?
Old 06-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #18
Dutchy
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkonisback View Post
Wow, that is pretty awesome!!!

Wrong...

... the game is awesome!
Old 06-23-2011, 10:58 AM   #19
philliesphan26
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
The way I work around this is to schedule my draft at the end of the year (late November). There's a few drawbacks (realism, draft order is from two completed seasons ago instead of the one that was just finished), but it allows me to get my scouts and stuff set up the way I want it, which is what I was aiming for
philliesphan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchy View Post
How about he'd handwrite his questions together with his autograph, upload it to this thread and maybe even to his Twitter-account?
Dutchy, just treat him like any other guy here. FYI, there are supposedly a number of current and former college, minor league and MLB players who play OOTP. I can vouch for there being college players.