Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-28-2019, 02:03 AM   #1
Jakeydude18
Minors (Single A)

Home Runs are Overrated!!!

MLB Standard Game:

I decided to try to take the Tigers to the World Series because they were the worst team in real life when I started the save. I'm now in 2022 and just lost the World Series in 7 games to the Atlanta Braves. I won the division with 168 HRs, a tad over 1 HR per game. I think it helped that my team stole 299 bases this year

I guess it also helps when you have a guy steal 70 bases in the season, yet it's crazy to think its just over half of the single season record!!!

1st in Runs Scored (823), BA (.273), OBP (.339), Batters WAR (33.8), SB (299), Bullpen ERA (3.10), Defensive Efficiency (.704), Zone Rating (+29.4), and fewest errors (66).

2nd in Base Running (+12.1), Ks (1599).

3rd in OPS (.768), wOBA (.330), Pitchers WAR (23.8).

4th in Runs Against (677) and FIP (3.92).
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 
Jakeydude18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Where is Casey Mize? (Just curious.)
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #3
Jakeydude18
Minors (Single A)

Case Mize is still with the club. He hasn't been good enough to start for the club so he's being used as a long reliever. When he is down in AAA he dominants as a starter. I just haven't been able to replicate his results in the majors
Attached Images
Old 09-29-2019, 05:13 PM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeydude18 View Post
Case Mize is still with the club. He hasn't been good enough to start for the club so he's being used as a long reliever. When he is down in AAA he dominants as a starter. I just haven't been able to replicate his results in the majors
For the Tigers' sake I hope he has better success IRL. Still, I'm starting to wonder if Manning might not turn out better than Mize in the long run.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 04:42 AM   #5
Gutie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

It's crazy when you see a guy crack 90-100+ SB and he still falls short of Henderson by at least 20 SB because your team keeps mashing HRs or striking out. (Dammit Miller Park/NL Central Ballparks.) I usually have the opposite problem doing playthroughs. Homeruns and nobody on base despite trying to draft/sign/develop high contact players. Solid work all around there. What sort of players were you trying to draft/acquire, or just "best available" then trade surplus? Also see Grandpa Posey there, lol.

Last edited by Gutie; 09-30-2019 at 04:44 AM.
Gutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

league high of SB was 1987 which also had 5000 home runes or so. so, i don't think 1hr per X PA would be enough to influence SB too much... few percent or likely less. so 100sb season turns into ~97? wouldn't even notice by the eye.

a successful steal gains an average of 1/3rd of a run.

an out at 1b with no one on and no outs costs you 2/3rds of a run.

this site gives more precise info on it, and likely better #s than the article i used for the above, which is essentially why they say you should convert 70-75% or just not steal at all because you are hurtingn your team abjecting, quantitatively, incontrevertibly: https://tht.fangraphs.com/stolen-bas...ing-run-value/

in my experience of high SB / low SB years, i still score roughly the same # of runs as long as my power numbers are fairly normal. Even ~300SB only got you to ~800runs - healthy amount that's top 5-ish in most years, but nothing to write home about. the CS is a big key there. since you eclipsed 800rs with a low hr team, you likely had a high %-success. Also, you weren't a lineupe of singles-machines, in spite of the low hr, so there was some power to speak of.

i bet you have some power 3-4 or 3-4-5, though... if you can't drive anyone in, those SB are even less valuable on your team, if you have less than average power (which you don't, in spite of low hr -- you have a decent team slugging).

if you had 300 hr, you'd be clearing 1000-1200 RS. assuming they aren't just dogs, otherwise and ignoring speed -- team of clods mashing 300hr will score 1000 runs as long as they aren't crap hitters too. OR, 300 less your CS #, that'd still clear 823RS more times than not.

you do what you can with the opportunities avaiable. lack of power does not equal a lack of success 100% of the time, but it is less likely and more difficult to find those types of pieces and control that all at once for any window of time.

if your choices of players available to sign or promote lead to less power overall for a team, it's because of the alternative, not because less power is good. it's about the entire picture. you wouldn't toss away higher runs created players just to stick to some mantra. if they create more runs, they simply create more runs. it doesn't matter if they hit 50hr or 10hr, but rarely is a 10hr guy, if at all, ever going to match a 50hr guy, i dont' care if he has 150SB and 10CS. he would however be a better leadoff batter, because there is simply fewer opportuniteis to drive in runs, which diminishes the value of power relative to that spot in the lineup.

Last edited by NoOne; 09-30-2019 at 03:12 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:05 AM   #7
Jakeydude18
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutie View Post
It's crazy when you see a guy crack 90-100+ SB and he still falls short of Henderson by at least 20 SB because your team keeps mashing HRs or striking out. (Dammit Miller Park/NL Central Ballparks.) I usually have the opposite problem doing playthroughs. Homeruns and nobody on base despite trying to draft/sign/develop high contact players. Solid work all around there. What sort of players were you trying to draft/acquire, or just "best available" then trade surplus? Also see Grandpa Posey there, lol.

Thanks I appreciate that. As far a drafting, I don't really have a strategy per se? I'm the kind of person that loves smallball. So, for me, the ability to make contact with the ball and run the bases is extremely important for me. Interesting considering I'm only 23 and most people I know my age only appreciate the longball. For pitchers with this save, I didn't really have many SP options outside of Mize and Manning for the long term. I traded for Adonis Medina before the 2019 season and he's turned out decent so far. I generally look for SP that will generate at least 1 K per IP, or a K/9 of 9.0. In regards to RP I generally look for guys that have 2 good pitchers and guys that can hold runners well. I don't know if this is an affect of not being in Challenge Mode but I was able to get good trades with the AI. I'll usually want them to retain their players salaries, and I'll keep offering the worst rated prospects when I click "Make this trade work now!"

I do value a good defense as well, both infield range and outfield range, and I want a catcher that can pick guys off

As far as drafting I don't really have a strategy besides getting the best available, then looking at ratings alone further in the draft. I do do my own resigns as well at the end of the season so that may have helped. Hope all of that helps!