Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #21
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster007 View Post
After running many sims to get stats where I want them I have actually started a game and took over a team just before opening day everyone is under a one year contract, am I correct in assuming that since they are all rookies they are all arbitration eligible and I don't have to negotiate with each and every one of them?
They shouldn't be all rookies with random debut if you're using the MLB database. They should import with varying ages, and varying amounts of service time. If they didn't, something went wrong somewhere. Can you post a screenshot of a list of players in your game, so I can look at it?
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #22
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
They shouldn't be all rookies with random debut if you're using the MLB database. They should import with varying ages, and varying amounts of service time. If they didn't, something went wrong somewhere. Can you post a screenshot of a list of players in your game, so I can look at it?

You’re absolutely right. I just sorted by contract status and saw everybody at 1 year and jumped the gun. Excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face.

I have one other question. I could have sworn I saw a spot where you can set the minimum AB’s or IP for a player to qualify for the draft pool during setup. Am I mistaken (again)? If I’m not I may blow this up and start over. Too many players in the inaugural draft with >500 plate appearances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Edster007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #23
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You’re absolutely right. I just sorted by contract status and saw everybody at 1 year and jumped the gun. Excuse me while I wipe the egg off my face.

I have one other question. I could have sworn I saw a spot where you can set the minimum AB’s or IP for a player to qualify for the draft pool during setup. Am I mistaken (again)? If I’m not I may blow this up and start over. Too many players in the inaugural draft with >500 plate appearances.

You have one chance to set this one actually. When you are setting up your game, and you go to import the historicaldatabase.odb from the stats folder, it will ask you to set limits for adjust/weaken. I set mine to 200 AB/50 AB, and 40 IP/10 IP, but you should feel free to set yours as you wish. Unfortunately this is only available during setup and when (or if) you import individual players into your game. You cannot retroactively do this for the players who are already in your game though (AFAIK). There will be lots of players with fewer than 500 plate appearances. Baseball is littered with guys who only had a cup of coffee in the show. Hell, Moonlight Graham didn't even get to come to the plate in his only game.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:32 PM   #24
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
You have one chance to set this one actually. When you are setting up your game, and you go to import the historicaldatabase.odb from the stats folder, it will ask you to set limits for adjust/weaken. I set mine to 200 AB/50 AB, and 40 IP/10 IP, but you should feel free to set yours as you wish. Unfortunately this is only available during setup and when (or if) you import individual players into your game. You cannot retroactively do this for the players who are already in your game though (AFAIK). There will be lots of players with fewer than 500 plate appearances. Baseball is littered with guys who only had a cup of coffee in the show. Hell, Moonlight Graham didn't even get to come to the plate in his only game.
Thanks as always for the info. I think I am going to blow up and start over making the adjustments. At least Moonlight got Burt Lancaster to play him in a movie....
Old 04-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #25
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks as always for the info. I think I am going to blow up and start over making the adjustments. At least Moonlight got Burt Lancaster to play him in a movie....
Yep, pretty cool for Moonlight. You should see the weaken/adjust settings pretty much first thing when you go to set up your game.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #26
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Do you have the reserve clause turned on? That may be why you are seeing one year contracts. There were very few, if any, long term deals in the reserve clause era.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #27
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaBurns View Post
Do you have the reserve clause turned on? That may be why you are seeing one year contracts. There were very few, if any, long term deals in the reserve clause era.

It’s possible I will have to check that out, thanks.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #28
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It’s possible I will have to check that out, thanks.

What year are you in? If it's any year before free agency IRL (1974?), the reserve clause will be turned on by default. Good call JaBurns.

Game > Game Settings > League Settings > Financials > Financial & Free Agency Settings > Enable Reserve-Clause Era Rules

It will be checked if you didn't touch it, and you're playing before free agency. So uncheck it if you want free agents and keep it if you want the system with 3 years to arbitration, and 6 yrs to free agency.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:13 PM   #29
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Good luck rather than good planning, I have made so many mistakes in my leagues I act like the blind squirrel finding the acorn at times.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #30
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Quote:
Once this is completed and a few more updates come out from OOTP I hope to start my “real” league in 1901 with the goal of running it for 100+ years.
Hope you make it!! I started a 1901 fictional league with random debut. It is the OHIO/PENN league with teams from those two states. I used the MLB set up of sixteen teams but I controlled expansion, minors, and independents for the later years. The 2 independent leagues are 8 teams each from the south and Appalachia respectfully.

Current season 1985. It's now a 40 team league with four levels of minors and two independents. I also utilize the Arizona Fall league and the World Baseball Classic tournament.

Here is the kicker...I ran out of players in the database in 1985. The only ones left only made it to the big leagues for a cup of coffee. There aren't enough for a full draft so there is a limit on how far you can go with this.

I've started a new league in 1921 and am going to TRY to keep it small, if I can resist the temptation to expand to much! LOL.
crawdad5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:41 PM   #31
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I have to fight the urge to expand just finished 1910. Now have a total of 42 teams, 16 ML, 3 unaffiliated AAA leagues of 8, 8, & 10 teams. I don’t like a big free agent pool and tend to expand if the pool get over 200. Takes me a long time to complete a season because I tend to chase ghosts, go down rabbit holes, check out players etc, etc. I found another setup mistake today which hopefully will reduce the free agent pool. I am going to run more seasons in my test league but at the rate I make mistakes and find better ways to do things it maybe a long term “test”. I also want a few more updates to come out that may fix some of the historical issues. I also waiting for the new mods.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #32
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad5000 View Post
Hope you make it!! I started a 1901 fictional league with random debut. It is the OHIO/PENN league with teams from those two states. I used the MLB set up of sixteen teams but I controlled expansion, minors, and independents for the later years. The 2 independent leagues are 8 teams each from the south and Appalachia respectfully.

Current season 1985. It's now a 40 team league with four levels of minors and two independents. I also utilize the Arizona Fall league and the World Baseball Classic tournament.

Here is the kicker...I ran out of players in the database in 1985. The only ones left only made it to the big leagues for a cup of coffee. There aren't enough for a full draft so there is a limit on how far you can go with this.

I've started a new league in 1921 and am going to TRY to keep it small, if I can resist the temptation to expand to much! LOL.
The threat of running out of players is why I keep my draft to five rounds (I also bring in only enough for five rounds, except in the six seasons where an expansion is coming the next year [1960, 1961, 1968, 1976, 1992, and 1997] when I bring in enough for six rounds because the expansion teams are at the draft table in the years before they start playing). Then again I don't play with minor leagues and use unlimited reserve rosters, which is definitely not for everybody. I think I did the math on it, and I can go from 1901 through 2040ish, which is plenty, considering the next version of OOTP will be out in approximately 11 months.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #33
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Quote:
The threat of running out of players is why I keep my draft to five rounds (I also bring in only enough for five rounds, except in the six seasons where an expansion is coming the next year [1960, 1961, 1968, 1976, 1992, and 1997] when I bring in enough for six rounds because the expansion teams are at the draft table in the years before they start playing). Then again I don't play with minor leagues and use unlimited reserve rosters, which is definitely not for everybody. I think I did the math on it, and I can go from 1901 through 2040ish, which is plenty, considering the next version of OOTP will be out in approximately 11 months.
Yeah, I'm going to leave the expansion to real life for this one. I added a triple aaa minors (unlimited) so the players, whose first couple of years weren't that great, can have some minor league stats before they crack the show. I like that. Keeping the rounds of the draft down is key. I think I read somewhere that you should have 5 rounds for every level of play including majors which would put me at 10/11. Maybe I'll stick with 5/6 though.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:46 AM   #34
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
You were correct. Reserve Clause was checked.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:04 AM   #35
Edster007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Now you have led me to another question-How and at what point can you edit the number of rounds in the draft? I had looked for it in my early sims and just assumed it wasn't there.

I'm currently doing 16 teams with reserves and have the draft set to six rounds. I would like to have the first 2 or 3 drafts after the inaugural to ten to twelve rounds then back it down to six. I want a high influx of players early to get the league rolling and then level it off.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:52 AM   #36
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

Quote:
Now you have led me to another question-How and at what point can you edit the number of rounds in the draft? I had looked for it in my early sims and just assumed it wasn't there.

I'm currently doing 16 teams with reserves and have the draft set to six rounds. I would like to have the first 2 or 3 drafts after the inaugural to ten to twelve rounds then back it down to six. I want a high influx of players early to get the league rolling and then level it off.
The draft settings are under "league settings" and then "rules". Normally the draft is in June but if your using random debut then set it for 15 Dec so the players show up as rookies the following baseball season. Also click on "disable free agents and fictional draft class".

Do this as soon as you start your off season.

Last edited by crawdad5000; 04-17-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:58 PM   #37
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad5000 View Post
The draft settings are under "league settings" and then "rules". Normally the draft is in June but if your using random debut then set it for 15 Dec so the players show up as rookies the following baseball season. Also click on "disable free agents and fictional draft class".

Do this as soon as you start your off season.
I've actually used November 1st as my draft date in a 40-year test league, and everything's been smooth sailing so far, as far as I can tell. You definitely don't want to schedule it for June like you said though, because then players will debut a year early.

Good reminder about clicking on "disable free agents and fictional draft class" as well. I would say to set the draft up as soon as you start the preseason though because you want the number of players imported to match the amount of players you want for your draft and if you do it on the first day of the offseason, they may have already been imported. Whichever way you do it, you'll want to do it outside of the regular season/playoffs because you can't set it during that time anyway. Your suggestion puts it outside of the regular season/playoffs, so it may work, but if you're switching the amount of rounds, I would suggest first day of preseason. Probably six of one, half a dozen of the other, but still.

Last edited by actionjackson; 04-17-2018 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #38
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've actually used November 1st as my draft date in a 40-year test league, and everything's been smooth sailing so far, as far as I can tell. You definitely don't want to schedule it for June like you said though, because then players will debut a year early.

Good reminder about clicking on "disable free agents and fictional draft class" as well. I would say to set the draft up as soon as you start the preseason though because you want the number of players imported to match the amount of players you want for your draft and if you do it on the first day of the offseason, they may have already been imported. Whichever way you do it, you'll want to do it outside of the regular season/playoffs because you can't set it during that time anyway. Your suggestion puts it outside of the regular season/playoffs, so it may work, but if you're switching the amount of rounds, I would suggest first day of preseason. Probably six of one, half a dozen of the other, but still.
...And finally, prior to your inaugural season is probably the best time of all to nail down your draft settings of course.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:02 AM   #39
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

As for how: Game > Game Settings > League Settings > Rules > Amateur Draft Settings > Amateur Draft Number of Rounds/Import Players for X Rounds

...Set it up how you want it...2 or 3 drafts at 10-12 rounds, and then back down to 6.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #40
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Good point. Poor, great Grover Cleveland Alexander had to have Ronald Reagan act him in the movie about him. (sorry, couldn't resist):
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote