Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > FHM 3 - Dynasty Reports

FHM 3 - Dynasty Reports Talk about your FHM dynasties here!

Old 12-17-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

Tiger Fan's History of Hockey (FHM3 version)

I like to do dynasty reports and have done a number of them over the years primarily focusing around OOTP. Originally I did a lot of historic MLB dynasty reports and even branched out to include a lot of different sports. Lately, I switched to doing primarily fictional but I have been stumped when trying to come up with a new 'concept' for my next one.

In the end I have decided to go back to my roots and do a historical replay, but instead of baseball (which is my second favourite sport) I will focus on my first love - hockey. Looking on the FHM dynasty board there do not seem to be a lot of historical dynasty writers, so lets see if my old History of Baseball format will work well with hockey.

So I present the HISTORY OF HOCKEY.

The sim will begin in 1931 and the goal is to sim a year at time as we move forward to modern day. I will write some short notes and random thoughts on each season as we progress but the great joy - for me anyway- with this type of sim is in going back and looking at the careers of great players, and little known names who may have a big impact in this version of NHL history.

I will not run a team, as I am letting the game evolve as it sees fit. I will start in 1931-32 and assign rookies to the real original team they debuted with. This should keep Howe, Richard and Orr with their proper teams but it will also be very interesting to see what happens with Turk Broda being a Red Wing or Phil Esposito a Black Hawk. Also be very interesting where Gretzky ends up as he should start with the Indianapolis Racers at the tail end of the WHA.

There will be no amateur draft but I did enable the expansion draft in order to help populate the new teams as they appear.

I want some randomness so I decided to let the FHM engine develop players career paths rather than have their ratings adjusted each year to compare to real life. This bit of randomness I have always enjoyed in my baseball replays. It is why Cliff Markle (the photo in my avatar) is the greatest pitcher in my HOB replay. Let's see what little known names step up in my History of Hockey replay.

I hope a few people enjoy it and follow along. As I get through the seasons please feel free to ask for more information on any player or team you would like to find out about. Hopefully I can update things regularly, but I am much busier (and older) than I was back in my History of Baseball days tracing back to OOTP2 and 3.
Tiger Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I will keep this post reserved for Cup winners and award listings.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 02-03-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #3
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1931-32 The beginning

1931-32
In real life Busher Jackson led the league in scoring with 53 points, 3 more than his Toronto linemate Joe Primeau. In the replay Primeau again finished second in scoring but the title went to his other winger, Charlie Conacher, who led the league with 26 goals and 60 points. Jackson suffered a serious leg laceration in October and was limited to 18 games on the season, but the 20 year old did tally 22 points.

Code:
 RLPTS is real life points
AMERICAN DIVISION    	GP  W  L  T  PTS  RLPTS
NY Rangers		48 30 15  3   63   54
Boston Bruins		48 23 20  5   51   42
Detroit Falcons	 	48 19 27  2   40   46
Chicago Black Hawks	48  9 37  2   20   47

CANADIAN DIVISION    	GP  W  L  T  PTS  RLPTS	
Toronto Maple Leafs	48 36  9  3   75    53
Montreal Maroons	48 29 16  3   61    45
Montreal Canadiens	48 20 21  7   47    57
NY Americans		48 12 33  3   27    40

SCORING LEADERS		TEAM GP  G  A  PTS
Charlie Conacher	TOR  45 26 34  60
Joe Primeau		TOR  48 24 35  59
Bill Cook		NYR  44 24 22  46
Bun Cook		NYR  48 14 30  44
Howie Morenz	        MON  43 11 32  43
Injuries hit the Leafs Kid Line hard as Jackson missed most of the regular season and scoring champ Conacher missed the playoffs after suffering a shoulder injury late in the season.

In real life the Leafs would end the Montreal Canadiens 2 year hold on the Stanley Cup by defeating the New York Rangers 3 games to none in the Stanley Cup Final.

The sim playoff setup had the 2 first place teams meet in one semi-final and the two second place clubs in the other, which meant the Leafs and Rangers would tangle in the opening round.

Primeau and Jackson would combine for 7 goals and 14 points to lead Toronto past the Rangers in 5 games. Veteran Babe Dye filled in for the injured Conacher on the right wing and the 33 year old chipped in with 2 goals and a pair of helpers. Leaf goaltender Lorne Chabot allowed just 6 goals in the 5 games and recorded a pair of shutouts.

After winning game six in overtime on home ice the Boston Bruins eliminated the Montreal Maroons with a 4-1 victory in Game Seven led by a 32 save performance by Bruins netminder Tiny Thompson.

Toronto easily took the opener of the best-of-seven final series with a 7-1 victory and the Leafs quickly jumped to a 3-0 series lead before the Bruins roared back with 3 straight wins to force a 7th and deciding game.

Boston hopes for a miracle comeback fell short as Ace Bailey had a goal and an assist in the first period helping Toronto to a 3-0 lead in the opening stanza enroute to a 4-1 win at home in Game seven. The Cup win would be the third in franchise history for Toronto, one shy of the Montreal Canadiens record 4 Cups.

With a league leading 15 points in 12 post-season games Toronto centre Joe Primeau was named the playoff MVP.

Here are the other award winners:
VEZINA: Lorne Chabot of Toronto (31-6-4, 1.48 GAA)

NORRIS: Toronto blueliner King Clancy (48GP 10-29-39)

CALDER: Boston RW Cecil Dillon (3-14-17 in 26 GP)

HART: King Clancy of Toronto

ART ROSS: Charlie Conacher of Toronto (26-34-60)

In real life the Hart Trophy as MVP went to Howie Morenz of the Canadiens after he scored 24 goals and 49 points. In the sim Morenz had a solid season, finishing 5th in scoring with 43 points but his Montreal squad had a disappointing season and missed the playoffs. Chicago's Chuck Gardiner was the top goalie in real life but he had a terrible season in the sim, going 9-37-2 with a 3.19 GAA.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 12-17-2016 at 03:04 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
JaBurns
All Star Starter

Thanks I will be following; missing the OOTP dynasty.
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1932-33

1932-33
The league grew to 9 teams as the Ottawa Senators rejoined the NHL and were placed in the Candian Division. The only major off-season transaction saw Toronto ship Ace Bailey to the Montreal Canadiens. In real life Bailey would see his career come to an end in December of 1933 when he was hit from behind by Boston's Eddie Shore, hitting his head on the ice and fracturing his skull. In the sim Bailey scored 13 points in 17 games last season for Toronto before adding 3 goals and an assist in 7 playoff games to help the Leafs win the Cup.

Among the notable accomplishments was a 19 game point streak for Toronto winger Charlie Conacher. The 23 year scored 15 goals and added 19 assists during his run. Unfortunately for Leaf fans Conacher would suffer an injury shortly after the streak ended in February and was limited to just 33 regular season games. He would finish with 20 goals and 44 points and would be healthy enough to return for the playoffs.

Joe Lamb of the New York Americans scored in 6 straight games. On the season the 26 year old right winger ended up with 18 goals and 38 points but his team would miss the playoffs. The Ottawa Senators return to the NHL was obviously a mistake as the club would win just once in 48 contests and be the laughing stock of the league.

The scoring title went to Bill Cook of the Rangers as he led the league with 64 points on 26 goals and 38 assists. His teammate and brother Bun Cook topped all players with 29 goals. In real life Bill Cook also won the scoring title with 50 points while his brother Bun would finish tied for 7th with 37.

Code:
   RLPTS is real life points
AMERICAN DIVISION    	GP  W  L  T  PTS  RLPTS
NY Rangers		48 32 12  4   68   54
Boston Bruins		48 32 14  2   66   58
Chicago Black Hawks	48 18 25  5   41   44
Detroit Falcons	 	48 16 28  4   36   58

CANADIAN DIVISION    	GP  W  L  T  PTS  RLPTS	
Toronto Maple Leafs	48 34 13  1   69    54
Montreal Maroons	48 28 19  1   57    50
Montreal Canadiens	48 21 22  5   47    41
NY Americans		48 21 25  2   44    41
Ottawa Senators		48  1 45  2    4    32

Bill Cook		NYR  48 26 38  64
Busher Jackson		TOR  46 24 38  62
Bun Cook		NYR  48 29 29  58
Howie Morenz	        MON  48 22 32  54
Marty Barry		BOS  48 24 28  52
The 1932-33 postseason would be a repeat of last season as the division leading Leafs and Rangers will meet in one semi-final while the second place Bruins and Maroons square off in the other series. In real life the 32-33 Cup Final was a rematch of last season with the Rangers getting revenge on the Leafs by winning 3 games to one.

Boston would beat the Maroons in 5 games while Toronto and the New York Rangers needed the full seven games to declare a winner. Toronto would remain alive and have a chance to defend their Cup title as Busher Jackson scored three times in a 6-1 Leafs victory in the deciding contest.

Toronto took game one of the finals 5-4 as 24 year old Andy Blair, who had just 10 points in 22 regular season games, enjoyed a career night with a goal and 3 helpers to lead the Leafs to victory. Bad news for the Leafs as Charlie Conacher suffered a groin injury that might sideline him for the rest of the series but Boston also suffered a key injury as defenseman Eddie Shore will miss at least a game with a forearm injury.

Blair continued to be the story of the finals as he added 2 more points in a 4-1 game two victory for the Leafs. Just like last season Toronto took a 3 games to none lead with a 2-1 win at the Gardens in game three. Busher Jackson scored both Toronto goals.

Dit Clapper's overtime goal kept the Bruins alive with a 2-1 win in game four but the Leafs ended the series with a 4-1 win on home ice in Game five to hoist the Cup for the second straight season.

The Conn Smythe Award for playoff MVP went to Toronto winger Busher Jackson who led all playoff perfomers with 7 goals and 13 points.

VEZINA: Lorne Chabot of Toronto (34-11-3, 1.58 GAA)
NORRIS: Ching Johnson of NY Rangers (48GP 10-24-34)
CALDER: NY Americans Wilf Starr (11-12-23 in 48 games)
HART: Howie Morenz Montreal Canadiens (22-32-54)
ART ROSS: Bill Cook NY Rangers (26-38-64)

A major deal was made in the off-season as Toronto sent back to back Vezina Trophy winning goaltender Lorne Chabot to Detroit in exchange for 25 year old winger Hec Kilrea (11-15-26) and 32 year old rearguard George Owen (2-4-6).
Old 12-18-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1933-34

1933-34

Howie Morenz had his best season since the sim started as the Montreal Canadiens great established a NHL record for points by amassing 66 during the season. Despite the big year from Morenz, who is the NHL's alltime points leader at this stage with 455, the Montreal Canadiens once again missed the playoffs as they trailed Toronto and the Maroons in the Canadian Division race.

Toronto just keeps on winning regardless of who their goaltender is. In the summer the Leafs dealt 33 year old Lorne Chabot, who had won the past two Vezina Trophies, to Detroit and handed the goaltending duties over to long-time minor league Moe Roberts. A veteran of just 4 NHL games entering the season, the 28 year old American played all 48 games for the Leafs, posting a 37-6-5 record with a 1.55 GAA. In real life Roberts played just 10 career NHL games.

The Leafs offense was again the best in the league led by the kid line of Joe Primeau (11-45-56) between Charlie Conacher (28-21-49) and Busher Jackson (26-20-46). The second line of Bob Gracie (14-19-33), Syd Howe (14-21-35) and Frank Finnigan (11-15-26) was also dangerous. King Clancy (8-24-32) and Red Horner (5-28-33) led a strong corps of defensemen.

Boston forward Cecil Dillon also set a record as the 25 year old became the first player to score 30 goals in a season. Dillon, who in real life scored 167 goals over 11 NHL seasons with the Rangers, helped Boston win the American Division for the first time in this sim. Dillon, who was acquired by the Bruins early in the 1931-32 season in exchange for Cooney Weiland, was named the league's top rookie in 31-32.

Code:

AMERICAN DIVISION    	GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Boston Bruins		48 27 19  2   66   
NY Rangers		48 25 17  6   66    
Detroit Falcons	 	48 21 23  4   46    
Chicago Black Hawks	48 17 28  3   37    

CANADIAN DIVISION    	GP  W  L  T  PTS   	
Toronto Maple Leafs	48 37  9  2   76     
Montreal Maroons	48 29 16  3   61
Montreal Canadiens	48 24 17  7   55
NY Americans		48 20 25  3   43   
Ottawa Senators		48  1 47  0    2    

Howie Morenz	        MON  48 26 40  66
Art Chapman	 	BOS  48 18 42  60
Cecil Dillon		BOS  47 30 29  59
Joe Primeau		TOR  48 11 45  56
Aurel Joliat		MON  48 22 31  53

The Leafs swept Boston in the first round of the playoffs while the Rangers beat the Montreal Maroons in 6 games. Toronto would have little trouble with the Broadway Blueshirts as the Leafs claimed their third straight Stanley Cup with a series win in 5 games. For the second straight season Busher Jackson was named the playoff MVP after the 23 year old led all scorers with 14 points in 9 playoff games. Jackson and linemates Conacher and Primeau combined for 35 points.

VEZINA: Moe Roberts of Toronto (37-6-5, 1.55 GAA)
NORRIS: Babe Siebert of Montreal Maroons (48GP 15-30-45)
CALDER: Chicago's Bill Kendall (15-19-34 in 48 games)
HART: Charlie Conacher Toronto (48GP 28-21-49)
ART ROSS: Howie Morenz Montreal Canadiens (26-40-66)

The game does not select the all-star team but I will start naming first and second team all-stars
Code:

POS	FIRST TEAM			SECOND TEAM
G	Moe Roberts  	 Toronto	Normie Smith 	  Mon Maroons
D	Babe Siebert	 Mon Maroons	King Clancy	  Toronto
D	Eddie Shore	 Boston		Eddie Goodfellow  Detroit
C	Howie Morenz	 Mon Canadiens	Frank Boucher	  NY Rangers
LW	Auriel Joliat	 Mon Canadiens	Busher Jackson	  Toronto
RW	Charlie Conacher  Toronto	Cecil Dillon	  Boston
Attached Images
Old 12-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1934-35

1934-35

Toronto and Detroit highlight the off-season as the Red Wings dealt goaltenders Alec Cornell and Lorne Chabot to the Leafs in exchange for 22 year winger Syd Howe and goalie Red Spooner. It marks a return to Toronto for the now 33 year old Chabot, who won back to back Vezina Trophy's and Cups with the Leafs in the first two seasons of the sim. The move was necessitated because the Leafs dealt Moe Roberts, who won the Vezina this past season and played every game in net for Toronto, to Boston in exchange for a pair of veteran forwards in George Hay and Hib Milks.

A couple of notable retirements as 35 year old defenseman Red Dutton and 30 year old winger Frank Finnigan decided to hang up the blades. Finnigan played most of his 393 NHL games with Ottawa but won 3 straight Stanley Cups with Toronto to close out his career. He had 11 goals last season to give him 119 for his career. Dutton played the past 4 seasons with the New York Americans after starting his career in Montreal with the Maroons. He had 30 goals and 126 points in 361 games.

Rookies to watch this season include 21 year old Toe Blake who will debut with the Montreal Maroons and 20 year old goaltender Turk Broda, who joins the Red Wings. While the two are associated with the Canadiens and Leafs respectively, they are assigned to the organization they first began their careers with. For Blake that was the Maroons where he played 8 playoff games in 1934-35 before being acquired by the Habs, while Broda was a Red Wings farmhand in real life before being picked up by Conn Smythe's club.

The other notable change this season is the end of the Ottawa Senators franchise as after going 2-91-3 over two seasons the club moved to St Louis where it will be known as the Eagles.

Bad news for the Montreal Canadiens as Howie Morenz suffers a knee injury during the preseason and the reigning scoring champion will miss the first half of the campaign.

In early November Toronto defenseman King Clancy became the first player in NHL history to appear in 500 regular season games. Late in the season Aurel Joliat of the Canadiens would also reach the 500 mark.

The Montreal Canadiens parted ways with 39 year old goaltender George Hainsworth, dealing him to the Rangers in late November. Hainsworth appeared in 5 games this season for the Habs, posting a 1-2-2 record and a 3.74 GAA. In 447 career games he is 232-142-72 with a 1.99 GAA.

Toronto's Charlie Conacher shattered the record books by scoring a league best 35 goals and 74 points to win the Art Ross Trophy for the second time in his career. The Leafs would once again finish first in the Canadian Division with the Montreal Maroons again claiming the second playoff berth. The Rangers and Bruins were once again the class of the American Division with New York taking top spot after the Bruins were without defensemen Eddie Shore and Lionel Hitchman for extended periods.

Code:

NY Rangers		48 29 17  2   60  
Boston Bruins		48 25 21  2   52   
Chicago Black Hawks	48 20 25  3   43 
Detroit Falcons	 	48 21 27  0   42    

Toronto Maple Leafs	48 37  9  2   76     
Montreal Maroons	48 28 17  3   59
Montreal Canadiens	48 24 21  3   51
NY Americans		48 21 25  2   44   
St Louis Eagles		48  2 45  1    5    

Charlie Conacher	TOR  48 35 39  74
Bun Cook		NYR  48 28 28  56
Paul Haynes		MM   48 20 36  56
Joe Primeau		TOR  48 13 43  56
Busher Jackson		TOR  42 18 34  52
Frank Boucher		NYR  46 10 42  52
In what is becoming a rite of spring the Toronto Maple Leafs again knocked off the Rangers and Bruins to capture their 4th straight Stanley Cup. Toronto eliminated New York 4 straight before knocking off Boston in 6. The Bruins advance to the finals with a thrilling 7 game series that saw each of the final 3 games need overtime to determine a winner. Charlie Conacher won his first Conn Smythe Award as playoff MVP after scoring 14 points in 10 playoff games. Boston's Dit Clapper led all playoff scorers with 9 goals and 15 points but he did play 3 more games than Conacher.

VEZINA: John Ross Roach of the Rangers (28-13-4, 2.02 GAA)
NORRIS: Babe Siebert of Montreal Maroons (48GP 13-24-37)
CALDER: Sweeney Schriner of NY Americans (48 GP 19-18-37)
HART: Charlie Conacher Toronto (48GP 35-39-74)
ART ROSS: Charlie Conacher Toronto (48GP 35-39-74)

The game does not select the all-star team but I will start naming first and second team all-stars

Code:

G	John Ross Roach  NY Rangers	Normie Smith	  Mon Maroons
D	Babe Siebert	 Mon Maroons	Ching Johnson	  NY Rangers
D	King Clancy	  Toronto	Earl Siebert	  NY Rangers
C	Paul Haynes 	 Mon Maroons	Joe Primeau	  Toronto
LW	Bun Cook	 NY Rangers	Busher Jackson	  Toronto
RW	Charlie Conacher  Toronto	Dit Clapper	  Boston
Attached Images
Old 12-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1935-36

1935-36

OFFSEASON
The mess that was the St Louis Eagles/Ottawa Senators has finally folded dropping the league back down to 8 teams. The word dynasty is being bandied about when you refer to the Toronto Maple Leafs, as the team is about to take aim at it's fifth straight Stanley Cup. Toronto has added another good young player to it's already outstanding core as Gordie Drillon will make his debut this season. Other notable rookies in defenseman Babe Pratt with the New York Rangers and two-thirds of the famous Kraut Line making a debut in Boston: 20 year old Bobby Bauer and 18 year old Woody Dumart.

The biggest move of the off-season saw the Detroit Red Wings deal young goaltending prospect Turk Broda to the Montreal Canadiens for a package of players led by 25 year old Obs Heximer, a left winger who had 11 goals and 26 points last season. With the deal it looks like Lorne Chabot will become the Red Wings goaltender. Chabot won back to back Vezina Trophy's to start the decade but has played sparingly the last two years bouncing back and forth between Toronto and Detroit.

REGULAR SEASON
The Toronto Maple Leafs once again had the best regular season record as all three members of the Kid Line finished in the top 10 scoring leaders. As usual Boston and the Rangers battled all season for top spot in the American Division but we did finally get a new playoff participant as the Montreal Canadiens surpassed the Maroons to get their first taste of post-season action in the sim.

Goaltender Turk Broda (11-11-8, 2.39) gave the Canadiens some stability in net while veteran forwards Howie Morenz (12-20-32) and Aurel Joliat (17-12-29) proved they still had something left in the tank.

Rangers center Frank Boucher (21-38-59) won the scoring title while Eddie Wiseman of the Red Wings led the league in goals with 27. Hard nosed Boston defenseman Eddie Shore set a sim record with 139 minutes in penalties but it was shy of the NHL record Shore set pre-sim with 165 in 1927-28.

Code:

Boston Bruins		48 26 19  3   55
NY Rangers		48 24 17  7   55  
Chicago Black Hawks	48 18 26  4   40 
Detroit Falcons	 	48 17 26  5   39    

Toronto Maple Leafs	48 33 10  5   71     
Montreal Canadiens	48 21 21  6   48
Montreal Maroons	48 19 26  3   41
NY Americans		48 15 28  5   35   

Frank Boucher		NYR  48 21 38  59
Marty Barry		BOS  48 24 27  51
Bun Cook		NYR  48 22 28  50
Joe Primeau		TOR  48 14 36  50
Eddie Wiseman		DET  48 27 22  49
Charlie Conacher	TOR  47 20 28  48
Syd Howe		DET  47 19 26  45
Busher Jackson		TOR  48 18 24  42
Dit Clapper		BOS  45 12 29  41
Paul Haynes		MM   48 15 25  40
PLAYOFFS
The Toronto Maple Leafs and New York Rangers easily advanced to the finals. Toronto dispatched Boston in 5 games while the Rangers knocked out playoff newcomer Montreal Canadiens in 5 as well.

The Leafs took game one of the finals on home ice by a 3-2 score as Charlie Conacher scored once and assisted on King Clancy's game winning goal. Game Two was all Toronto as the Leafs peppered Ranger goaltender Derek Garbutt with 41 shots in a 4-0 Toronto victory. Primeau, Lynn Patrick, Fred Robertson and Art Jackson scored for the Leafs. Alec Cornell made 22 saves in the Leafs net for his first shutout of this post-season.

Back on Madison Square ice for Game Three the Rangers were a completely different team as they dominated in a 4-0 victory of their own. Garbutt made 28 saves while Babe Pratt and Frank Boucher each had a goal and a helper for the Rangers. It was more of the same in Game Four as the Rangers evened the series with a 5-2 victory. Defenseman Earl Siebert, who scored just 6 times during the regular season, led the Blueshirts with 2 goals and a pair of assists.

The series returned to Toronto for Game Five and again the home team emerged with the win, this one 5-2 in the Leafs favour. It was tied at 2 after forty minutes but the Leafs broke it open with goals from Nick Metz, King Clancy and Bob Gracie in the third period.

Frank Boucher would force a 7th game as the Rangers scoring star notched the only goal of Game Six as New York won at home 1-0 on a 26 save performance from Garbutt.

The Rangers would push the defending champs to the brink but in the end the Leafs would hoist the Stanley Cup for a fifth straight year after a 3-1 victory in Game Seven. After a scoreless first period Joe Primeau and Bob Gracie would each score power play goals just over 2 minutes apart in the second period to stake Toronto to a 2-0 lead after forty minutes. Babe Pratt would give the Rangers hope with a goal 4 minutes in to the third but the hope would be dashed 10 minutes later when Flash Hollett, on a nice setup from Busher Jackson, scored to restore Toronto's two goal lead.

25 year old Bob Gracie would lead all playoff performers with 5 goals and was tied with Leaf teammate Lynn Patrick for the playoff scoring lead with 10 points, one more than Joe Primeau. However, the Conn Smythe Award as playoff MVP went to another Leaf, 24 year old rearguard Flash Hollett, who had 2 goals and 7 points while playing flawless defense.

VEZINA: Alec Connell of Toronto (30-8-5, 1.71 GAA)

NORRIS: Red Horner of Toronto (48GP 13-25-38)

CALDER: Herb Cain of Boston Bruins (46 GP 18-15-33)

HART: Eddie Shore Boston Bruins (48GP 5-23-28)

ART ROSS: Frank Boucher of New York Rangers (48GP 21-38-59)

Code:

G	Alec Connell	 Toronto	Tiny Thompson	  Boston
D	Eddie Shore	 Boston		King Clancy	  Toronto
D	Red Horner	 Toronto	Babe Siebert	 Mon Maroons
C	Frank Boucher	 NY Rangers	Joe Primeau	  Toronto
LW	Bun Cook	 NY Rangers	Busher Jackson	  Toronto
RW	Eddie Wiseman	 Detroit	Charlie Conacher  Toronto
Attached Images
Old 12-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #9
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1936-37

1936-37

OFFSEASON
It might be the end of the road for 36 year old John Ross Roach. The goaltender won a Vezina Trophy just two years ago with the New York Rangers but lost his job to youngster Derek Garbutt and was dealt to the cross-town Americans last October. He spent all of last season in the minors and has now been released by the Americans organization. Roach is the alltime leader among goaltenders with 540 NHL games to his credit and also is number one in wins with 269. He made his NHL debut in 1921 and spent 7 years with Toronto before moving to the Rangers in 1928.

The Rangers also lost a pair of key stars to retirement as both Frank Boucher and Ching Johnson decided to hang up the skates. The loss of Boucher especially hurts as the 34 year old led the league in scoring last year. In 471 career NHL games, all but 24 of them with the Rangers, Boucher scored 166 goals and added 288 assists. The 37 year old Johnson spent his entire 352 game NHL career with Rangers. He won the Norris Trophy as the league's best defensman in 1932-33 and finishes with 51 goals and 100 assists.

Other notable retirements include Toronto defenseman Hap Day, a 477 game NHL veteran who played a key role in each of the Leafs 5 straight Stanley Cups to start the sim, longtime Bruin rearguard Lional Hitchman and Montreal Maroons winger Dave Trotter, who scored 101 goals in 361 career games including 12 last season.

Rookies joining the league this season include Boston Bruins center Milt Schmidt and 21 year old Syl Apps, who is looking to crack the Leafs lineup.

The only trade of note this off-season saw the New York Americans acquire 33 year old center Nels Stewart from the Montreal Maroons in exchange for minor league goaltender Alex Wood. Stewart has spent 11 seasons with the Maroons and has 216 goals in 434 career NHL games. Last season he suited up for 34 contests with the Maroons and finished with 6 goals and 15 points.

REGULAR SEASON
Howie Morenz became the first player to reach the 300 career goal mark as he scored his milestone marker on February 11 in a 4-0 Montreal Canadiens victory over Lorne Chabot and the Detroit Red Wings. The 34 year old would finish the season with 17 goals giving him 305 for his career. Morenz is also the all-time leader in points with 561. Teammate Aurel Joliat is second in both categories with 271 goals and 473 points.

Longtime Toronto defenseman King Clancy also set a record by playing in his 600th career NHL game. Clancy ended the season with 632 career games under his belt. Aurel Joliat is second in games played with 608.

Despite a serious injury to Joe Primeau, who nearly lost an eye after being clipped with a high stick just 8 games into the season, the Toronto Maple Leafs did not miss a beat. Rookie Syl Apps took over for Primeau on the top line between Charlie Conacher and Busher Jackson and went on to have a spectacular season finishing second to Conacher in the scoring race with 67 points.

The Montreal Maroons beat out the Canadiens for the second playoff spot in the Canadian Division while Boston and the Rangers were once again the top teams in the American Division. The Rangers slipped closer to the pack as they struggled to replace the scoring of the now retired Frank Boucher. Boston, on the other hand, looks to be a team on the rise as veteran leaders Eddie Shore, Marty Barry and Dit Clapper are starting to take a supporting role behind young stars such as Herb Cain, Bobby Bauer, Milt Schmidt, Woody Dumart and Jimmy Orlando, who was aquired early in the season from Detroit.

Code:

Boston Bruins		48 29 17  2   60
NY Rangers		48 23 23  2   48  
Detroit Red Wings	48 20 26  2   42 
Chicago Black Hawks	48 20 27  1   41 

Toronto Maple Leafs	48 39  8  1   79     
Montreal Maroons	48 26 22  0   52
Montreal Canadiens	48 17 29  2   36
NY Americans		48 12 34  2   26   

Charlie Conacher	TOR  45 29 41  70
Syl Apps		TOR  48 24 43  67
Paul Haynes		MM   48 22 39  61
Babe Siebert		MM   48 12 37  49
Marty Barry		BOS  48 19 28  47
Neil Colville		NYR  48 19 27  46
Dit Clapper		BOS  42 17 29  46
Busher Jackson		TOR  46 21 24  45
Bobby Bauer		BOS  45 18 26  44
Red Horner		TOR  44 11 32  43

PLAYOFFS
The Montreal Maroons would come as close as one could to winning a series only to see it slip away. The Maroons lead the New York Rangers 3 games to one and had a 4-1 lead with 10 minutes remaining in Game 5 only to see the Rangers roar back and tie the game before Gord Pettinger ended it 5-4 in New York's favour with an overtime marker. Two nights later the Rangers evened the series at 3 with a 2-1 home ice victory. New York scored twice in the third period to secure the win. Game seven would also end 2-1 as Montreal again carried a 1-0 lead into the third period only to see the Rangers get goals from Pettinger and Ray Getliffe to win the series and advance to the finals.

In the other semi-final the Leafs top line of Syl Apps (3-9-12), Charlie Conacher (8-4-12) and Busher Jackson (5-6-11) was unstoppable as Toronto topped Boston in 6 games.

The finals would be a rematch of last season as the Toronto Maple Leafs chased their 6th straight Stanley Cup. Toronto would be forced to use backup goaltender Benny Grant, who played just 2 games this season, after Alec Connell was injured in the Boston series. The Leafs made it easy for their young goaltender in Game One by scoring 5 times and outshooting New York 55-28 in a 5-0 victory. King Clancy had 3 assists and Bob Davidson scored twice to pace the Leafs offense.

Game Two was more of the same as Grant faced just 13 Rangers shots and stopped them all in a 3-0 Leafs win. Clancy would score once and add an assist in the win.

Gordie Drillon had a hat trick and added an assist as the Leafs opened a 3 games to none lead with a 5-2 victory over the Rangers in New York and two nights later the Leafs would win their 6th straight Cup with a 4-3 win that needed an overtime goal from Lynn Patrick to decide the contest.

Rookie Syl Apps led all playoff performers with 16 points while linemate Charlie Conacher had 9 goals to lead in that category. The Conn Smythe Award went to a defenseman as King Clancy (4-8-12) was named the top performer of the playoffs.

Apps became the first player to be named League MVP in the same year he was awarded the Rookie of the Year award:

CALDER: Syl Apps Toronto

HART: Syl Apps Toronto

NORRIS: Red Horner Toronto (44 GP 11-32-43)

VEZINA: Tiny Thompson Boston (48 GP 20-16-3, 2.37)

ART ROSS: Charlie Conacher Toronto (45 GP 29-41-70)

Code:

POS      FIRST TEAM		     SECOND TEAM
G   Tiny Thompson    Boston	Alec Connell	 Toronto	
D   Babe Siebert    Mon Maroons	King Clancy	 Toronto
D   Red Horner	     Toronto	Eddie Shore	 Boston
C   Syl Apps	     Toronto	Paul Haynes	 Mon Maroons
LW  Busher Jackson   Toronto	Neil Colville	 NY Rangers
RW  Charlie Conacher Toronto	Dit Clapper	 Boston
Old 12-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #10
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1937-38

1937-38

OFFSEASON NOTES
The biggest news was the decision of five star players to retire.

King Clancy, fresh off winning the Conn Smythe Trophy and 6 straight Stanley Cups with the Toronto Maple Leads decided to end his career at the age of 34 and move into the front office with the Maple Leafs. Clancy retires as the NHL's alltime leader in games played with 632 to his credit. He had 153 goals and 387 assists in a career split between Ottawa and Toronto. He won the Norris Trophy as the top defenseman and Hart as NHL MVP in 1931-32.

The Montreal Canadiens suffered a huge blow when they learned that Howie Morenz, Aurel Joliat and Sylvio Mantha had all decided to retire. Morenz and Joliat retire as 1-2 in career goals and points. The Stratford Streak, as Morenz was known, spent his entire 15 year career with the Canadiens and scored 305 goals and 561 points. He won the Hart Trophy in 1932-33 and led the NHL in scoring the following season. Joliat, like Morenz, spent his entire career with the Habs and scored 271 goals and 473 points. Mantha was also a career Candien, and appeared in 577 games on the Montreal blueline, recording 214 points.

The other notable retiree is New York Rangers winger Bun Cook. Cook played 504 games in his career, scoring 209 goals and 432 points. He was a two-time first team all-star in the 4 years the award has been recognized.

Not a lot of new talent coming in to replace them as the only notable rookies are a pair of defenseman: 20 year old Jack Crawford of Boston and 18 year old New York American Wally Stanowski.

The Detroit Red Wings added veteran center Nels Stewart in a deal with the New York Americans. The 34 year old Stewart spent most of his career with the Montreal Maroons before joining the Americans last season. He played in 21 games and had 5 goals and 1 assist. Detroit also gets Eddie Convey, a 26 year old forward who had 22 points in 48 games with the Americans last season. In return the Americans acquire 27 year old center Obs Heximer who scored 7 goals and 23 points with the Wings last year.

REGULAR SEASON
Once again the Toronto Maple Leafs dominated the league but the Boston Bruins continue to look like a team that could eventually dethrone the 6 time reigning champions. Toronto's 188 goals scored were 30 more than the next highest team (Boston) and their 95 goals allowed were 20 less than the Bruins.

For the first time the Art Ross Trophy was shared as Syl Apps and his Toronto winger Charlie Conacher finished with identical 29-43-72 seasons. Conacher is the lone holdout on the top line that carried the Leafs through the first half of this decade as Apps replaced Joe Primeau, who sat out the entire season and looks like he will never recover from the eye injury suffered over a year ago. Meanwhile Nick Metz (17-13-30) and Lynn Patrick (10-29-39) have relegated Busher Jackson to the third line. Jackson did finish with 46 points this season but had just 6 in the final 15 games and was dropped from the second line to third.

Code:

Boston Bruins		48 29 16  3   61
NY Rangers		48 25 21  2   52  
Chicago Black Hawks	48 19 25  4   42
Detroit Red Wings 	48 16 28  4   36 

Toronto Maple Leafs	48 33 11  4   70     
Montreal Maroons	48 22 22  4   48
NY Americans		48 18 28  2   38 
Montreal Canadiens	48 16 27  5   37

Syl Apps		TOR  48 29 43  72
Charlie Conacher	TOR  48 29 43  72
Marty Barry		BOS  48 29 31  60
Dit Clapper		BOS  48 15 43  58
Sweeney Schriner	NYA  48 24 24  48
Neil Colville		NYR  48 21 27  48
Doc Rommes		CHI  48 13 34  47
Syd Howe		DET  48 22 24  46
Busher Jackson		TOR  48 19 27  46
Bobby Bauer		BOS  47 19 26  45
PLAYOFFS
The Bruins gave Toronto a battle but fell short of knocking off the champs. Toronto took the semi-final series in 6 games but 4 of them went to overtime including 3 that the Leafs prevailed in. Meanwhile the Montreal Maroons are making their first appearance in the finals since the sim began after they ousted the Rangers in 6 games. Young winger Toe Blake played a big role for the Maroons, picking up 8 points in the 6 game semi-final series.

The Leafs took game one of the finals 5-2 as they fired 45 shots on Maroons goaltender Normie Smith. Art Jackson had 2 goals and an assist while Lynn Patrick scored once and added 2 helpers for Toronto.

Normie Smith was the story of game two as he made 34 saves in a 1-0 Maroons victory. Glenn Brydson's second period goal was the difference as Toronto suffered a rare postseason loss on home ice.

Toronto made a statement in Game Three as the Leafs hammered the Maroons 5-2. Charlie Conacher scored twice in the first five minutes and the Leafs glided to victory from there.

Busher Jackson scored once and added two helpers as Toronto took a 3 games to one lead with a 4-0 victory in Game Four. Alec Connell faced just 13 shots in the Leafs cage.

Mud Bruneteau and Frank Beisler each had a goal and an assist as Montreal stayed alive with a 4-2 victory despite being outshot 38-21 by Toronto. Normie Smith had another big game in the Maroons net.

Montreal entered Game Six at home trailing 3 games to two and the Maroons nearly forced a seventh game. Toe Blake tied the contest at 2 with just 37 seconds remaining in the third period and the Maroons seemed to have the momentum heading into overtime. However, Syl Apps ended it for Toronto with a goal at 4:20 of the first overtime period and the Leafs won their 7th straight Stanley Cup title.

Bruneteau topped all playoff performers with 14 points and his 7 goals tied Toronto's Charlie Conacher for the lead. Syl Apps and Busher Jackson each had 13 points as Jackson rebounded following a slump to end the regular season. Apps was named playoff MVP.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Syl Apps Toronto (48 GP 29-43-72)

VEZINA TROPHY: Alec Connell Toronto (26-7-6, 2.01)

NORRIS TROPHY
: Eddie Shore Boston (43 GP, 9-29-38)

ART ROSS TROPHY
: shared between Syl Apps and Charlie Conacher Toronto

CALDER TROPHY: Jack Crawford Boston (48 GP, 5-12-17)

Code:

G   Tiny Thompson    Boston	Turk Broda	 Mon Candiens	
D   Eddie Shore	     Boston	Babe Siebert     Mon Maroons	
D   Flash Hollett    Toronto	Earl Siebert	 NY Rangers
C   Syl Apps	     Toronto	Marty Barry	 Boston
LW  Sweeney Schriner NYAmericans Doc Rommes	 Chicago
RW  Charlie Conacher Toronto	Dit Clapper	 Boston
Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #11
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1938-39

1938-39

OFFSEASON
The big news is after reaching the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in the sim the Montreal Maroons have folded their franchise. This drops the NHL to one division with 7 teams. While the Toronto Maple Leafs managed to sign goaltender Normie Smith, most of the Maroons top players elected to join the Montreal Canadiens including Toe Blake, Mud Bruneteau and Paul Haynes. Defenseman Babe Siebert took a while to sign but finally agreed to join the Boston Bruins just before the season started.

With the signing of Smith, Toronto dealt goaltender Alec Connell to the Detroit Red Wings. A two-time Vezina Trophy winner, the 36 year old has played 596 career NHL games and has a lifetime record of 321-190-83. He has also won 4 Stanley Cups with Toronto, going 26-12 in the postseason during that time.

There was only one retirement of note but it was quite a surprise as 26 year old winger Sweeney Schriner, fresh off an all-star season, announced he was leaving the game. Schriner played 4 seasons for the New York Americans and scored a career best 24 goals and 48 points last season.

Debuts to look for this year include Sid Abel and defenseman Jack Stewart with Detroit while Boston adds goaltender Frank Brimsek and forward Roy Conacher.

REGULAR SEASON
The rapidly improving Boston Bruins led by their outstanding rookie goalie Frank Brimsek (36-8-4, 1.68) claimed top spot in the now 1 Division NHL. Another youngster, Roy Conacher (16-24-41) added to a solid Boston offense but the Bruins real strength was it's blueline led by Dit Clapper (12-35-47), who moved back to defense after starting his career as a forward. Clapper was joined by veteran Eddie Shore (7-23-30)and former Montreal Maroon Babe Siebert (3-24-27) along with second year pro Jack Crawford (5-12-17) to give the Bruins the best top 4 in the league.

Toronto's Syl Apps and Charlie Conacher continued to dominate the league offensively and ex-Maroon Normie Smith was a nice upgrade in net. The Rangers finished a solid third while the Montreal Canadiens needed a win on the final day of the season to claim the fourth and final playoff spot over Detroit.

New York Americans 38 year old Roy Worters became the first goaltender to appear in 600 career games. The 14 year veteran is showing no signs of slowing down as he appeared in 44 gaames this season despite posting a 5-32-7 record for the struggling Americans.

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Boston Bruins		48 36  9  3   75
Toronto	Maple Leafs	48 31 11  6   68
New York Rangers	48 31 17  0   62 
Montreal Canadiens	48 21 24  3   45
Detroit Red Wings 	48 18 21  9   45 
New York Americans	48  8 34  6   22
Chicago Black Hawks	48  8 37  3   19 

Syl Apps		TOR  48 25 47  72
Charlie Conacher	TOR  46 26 38  64
Dit Clapper		BOS  48 12 35  47
Nick Metz		TOR  48 20 23  43
Syd Howe		DET  48 13 30  43
Roy Conacher		BOS  43 16 25  41
Mac Colville		NYR  47 20 20  40
Joe Krol		NYR  48 15 23  38
Clint Smith		NYR  46 16 21  37
Marty Barry		BOS  42 11 25  36
PLAYOFFS
The Leafs faced off with the Bruins in the opening round and once again Toronto got the best of Boston, winning the series in 5 games. Meanwhile the Montreal Canadiens, after having just squeked into the postseason, made the most of their opportunity by sweeping the Rangers in the opening round.

The final would feature the Toronto Maple Leafs, looking for their 8th straight Cup, against the Canadiens.

Toronto took the season opener at Maple Leaf Gardens by a 5-3 score in a game that saw the Leafs outshoot Montreal 43-16. Game Two was a tighter affair but the Leafs again prevailed, this time 2-1 as Syl Apps scored once and assisted on the other Leaf marker.

Montreal looked like it would win Game Three at the Forum but the Leafs tied the game at 2 with 9:54 remaining on a Don Metz goal and with just 38 seconds remaining in regulation Bob Gracie scored to give Toronto a 3-2 win and a commanding 3 games to none lead in the series.

The Leafs would complete the sweep with a 2-1 overtime victory in Game Four. Montreal led after two periods thanks to a Toe Blake tally but Charlie Conacher tied the game with 6 minutes remaining in the third period and then set up Red Horner's series winning overtime marker.

Conacher was named the playoff MVP after scoring 5 goals and adding 4 assists in 9 playoff games. It would be the second time in his career Conacher won the Conn Smythe Trophy. Montreals Paul Haynes led all playoff scorers with 13 points.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Syl Apps Toronto (48 GP 25-47-72)

VEZINA TROPHY: Frank Brimsek Boston (36-8-4, 1.68)

NORRIS TROPHY: Dit Clapper Boston (48 GP,12-35-47)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Syl Apps Toronto (48 GP 25-47-72)

CALDER TROPHY: Roy Conacher Boston (43 GP, 16-25-41)

Code:

G   Frank Brimsek    Boston	Normie Smith 	 Toronto	
D   Dit Clapper	     Boston	Babe Pratt	 NY Rangers	
D   Flash Hollett    Toronto	Bucko McDonald	 Detroit
C   Syl Apps	     Toronto	Paul Haynes	 Montreal
LW  Syd Howe	     Detroit	Roy Conacher	 Boston
RW  Charlie Conacher Toronto	Mac Colville	 NY Rangers
Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #12
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1939-40

1939-40

OFFSEASON
The big news is after reaching the Stanley Cup Finals for the first time in the sim the Montreal Maroons have folded their franchise. This drops the NHL to one division with 7 teams. While the Toronto Maple Leafs managed to sign goaltender Normie Smith, most of the Maroons top players elected to join the Montreal Canadiens including Toe Blake, Mud Bruneteau and Paul Haynes. Defenseman Babe Siebert took a while to sign but finally agreed to join the Boston Bruins just before the season started.

With the signing of Smith, Toronto dealt goaltender Alec Connell to the Detroit Red Wings. A two-time Vezina Trophy winner, the 36 year old has played 596 career NHL games and has a lifetime record of 321-190-83. He has also won 4 Stanley Cups with Toronto, going 26-12 in the postseason during that time.

There was only one retirement of note but it was quite a surprise as 26 year old winger Sweeney Schriner, fresh off an all-star season, announced he was leaving the game. Schriner played 4 seasons for the New York Americans and scored a career best 24 goals and 48 points last season.

Debuts to look for this year include Sid Abel and defenseman Jack Stewart with Detroit while Boston adds goaltender Frank Brimsek and forward Roy Conacher.

REGULAR SEASON
The rapidly improving Boston Bruins led by their outstanding rookie goalie Frank Brimsek (36-8-4, 1.68) claimed top spot in the now 1 Division NHL. Another youngster, Roy Conacher (16-24-41) added to a solid Boston offense but the Bruins real strength was it's blueline led by Dit Clapper (12-35-47), who moved back to defense after starting his career as a forward. Clapper was joined by veteran Eddie Shore (7-23-30)and former Montreal Maroon Babe Siebert (3-24-27) along with second year pro Jack Crawford (5-12-17) to give the Bruins the best top 4 in the league.

Toronto's Syl Apps and Charlie Conacher continued to dominate the league offensively and ex-Maroon Normie Smith was a nice upgrade in net. The Rangers finished a solid third while the Montreal Canadiens needed a win on the final day of the season to claim the fourth and final playoff spot over Detroit.

New York Americans 38 year old Roy Worters became the first goaltender to appear in 600 career games. The 14 year veteran is showing no signs of slowing down as he appeared in 44 gaames this season despite posting a 5-32-7 record for the struggling Americans.

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Boston Bruins		48 36  9  3   75
Toronto	Maple Leafs	48 31 11  6   68
New York Rangers	48 31 17  0   62 
Montreal Canadiens	48 21 24  3   45
Detroit Red Wings 	48 18 21  9   45 
New York Americans	48  8 34  6   22
Chicago Black Hawks	48  8 37  3   19 

Syl Apps		TOR  48 25 47  72
Charlie Conacher	TOR  46 26 38  64
Dit Clapper		BOS  48 12 35  47
Nick Metz		TOR  48 20 23  43
Syd Howe		DET  48 13 30  43
Roy Conacher		BOS  43 16 25  41
Mac Colville		NYR  47 20 20  40
Joe Krol		NYR  48 15 23  38
Clint Smith		NYR  46 16 21  37
Marty Barry		BOS  42 11 25  36
PLAYOFFS
The Leafs faced off with the Bruins in the opening round and once again Toronto got the best of Boston, winning the series in 5 games. Meanwhile the Montreal Canadiens, after having just squeaked into the postseason, made the most of their opportunity by sweeping the Rangers in the opening round.

The final would feature the Toronto Maple Leafs, looking for their 8th straight Cup, against the Canadiens.

Toronto took the season opener at Maple Leaf Gardens by a 5-3 score in a game that saw the Leafs outshoot Montreal 43-16. Game Two was a tighter affair but the Leafs again prevailed, this time 2-1 as Syl Apps scored once and assisted on the other Leaf marker.

Montreal looked like it would win Game Three at the Forum but the Leafs tied the game at 2 with 9:54 remaining on a Don Metz goal and with just 38 seconds remaining in regulation Bob Gracie scored to give Toronto a 3-2 win and a commanding 3 games to none lead in the series.

The Leafs would complete the sweep with a 2-1 overtime victory in Game Four. Montreal led after two periods thanks to a Toe Blake tally but Charlie Conacher tied the game with 6 minutes remaining in the third period and then set up Red Horner's series winning overtime marker.

Conacher was named the playoff MVP after scoring 5 goals and adding 4 assists in 9 playoff games. It would be the second time in his career Conacher won the Conn Smythe Trophy. Montreals Paul Haynes led all playoff scorers with 13 points.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Syl Apps Toronto (48 GP 25-47-72)

VEZINA TROPHY: Frank Brimsek Boston (36-8-4, 1.68)

NORRIS TROPHY: Dit Clapper Boston (48 GP,12-35-47)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Syl Apps Toronto (48 GP 25-47-72)

CALDER TROPHY:
Roy Conacher Boston (43 GP, 16-25-41)

Code:

G   Frank Brimsek    Boston	Normie Smith 	 Toronto	
D   Flash Hollett    Toronto	Bucko McDonald	 Detroit
C   Syl Apps	     Toronto	Paul Haynes	 Montreal
LW  Syd Howe	     Detroit	Roy Conacher	 Boston
RW  Charlie Conacher Toronto	Mac Colville	 NY Rangers
Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 PM   #13
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1940-41

1940-41

OFFSEASON
No retirements of note and no major trades. New players joining the league this season include Max Bentley and Bill Mosienko along with Butch Bouchard, Elmer Lach and Ken Reardon joining Montreal.

REGULAR SEASON
Early in the season the Detroit Red Wings may have acquired the goaltender to lead them through the next decade as they picked up 20 year old Chuck Rayner from the Rangers in exchange for a pair of minor leaguers. Rayner was 3-1-0 with a 2.74 GAA in 7 career games with the Rangers, who have 28 year old former Black Hawk Mike Karakas as their number one goaltender. The Red Wings will keep Rayner in the minors for now as they have Eddie Robertson and backup Johnny Mowers already under contract.

On November 21st Charlie Conacher and Moe Morris set what I believe is a sim record. Each picked up 6 points as the Toronto Maple Leafs blasted the New York Americans 9-2. Each had a goal and 5 assists in the win and I will record it as the single game point record for a player and also credit Morris with the single game point record for a defenseman.

The Boston Bruins followed up their Stanley Cup win with the best record in the regular season as Frank Brimsek again was the backbone of the best defensive team in the league. 23 year old Milt Schmidt is to the point where he can rival Toronto's Syl Apps for the title of best player in the game. Apps once again won the league scoring title, but Schmidt, with 13 goals in the final 7 games of the season, nearly doubled his point total from the previous year to finish second in the scoring race.

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Boston Bruins		48 32  8  8   72
Toronto	Maple Leafs	48 33 13  2   68
Detroit Red Wings 	48 29 18  1   59
Montreal Canadiens	48 26 18  4   56
New York Rangers	48 20 24  4   44
New York Americans	48 10 36  2   22
Chicago Black Hawks	48  6 39  3   15

Syl Apps		TOR  47 30 40  70
Milt Schmidt	 	BOS  48 31 31  62
Toe Blake		MON  48 27 26  53
Carl Liscombe		DET  48 18 34  52
Sid Abel		DET  48 18 32  50
Roy Conacher		BOS  45 17 33  50
Charlie Conacher	TOR  42 19 29  48
Bobby Bauer		BOS  48 17 31  48
Neil Colville		NYR  48 19 25  44
Syd Howe		DET  48 17 26  43
The Bruins would face Toronto in the opening round of the playoffs and Boston took the series opener but lost both Milt Schmidt and Bobby Bauer for the series with injuries. Despite 8 points from Roy Conacher in the series the Bruins could not overcome the absence of two of their top three players and Boston fell in 6 games to the Leafs. In the other semi-final the Montreal Canadiens ousted Detroit in 5 games.

The series opened in Toronto with the visiting Canadiens drawing first blood thanks to defenseman Butch Bouchard. The 20 year old rookie scored his first career playoff goal in overtime to lift the Habs to a 3-2 victory. Syl Apps had a goal and an assist for Toronto while Paul Haynes provided the same for Montreal.

First period goals from Murph Chamberlain and Busher Jackson were enough to lift Toronto to a 3-1 victory in Game Two and two days later both Chamberlain and Jackson would score in the third period to give the Leafs a 4-3 come from behind victory in Montreal.

Game Four was another overtime contest and the Canadiens would even the series with a 3-2 victory as Johnny Quilty scored just 39 seconds into the extra frame.

Back in Toronto for Game Five the Leafs pulled out a 5-3 victory thanks to 2 goals and an assist from Gordie Drillon. Charlie Conacher, Art Jackson and Don Metz would also score for Toronto while Paul Haynes, Elmer Lach and Ken Reardon replied for Montreal.

The Leafs are once again crowned Stanley Cup champion - 9th time in the past 10 years - after winning Game Six 3-2. Red Horner got the game winner midway through the third period just minutes after Toe Blake had tied the contest with a powerplay goal for Montreal. Gordie Drillon and Elmer Lach tied for the playoff scoring lead with 11 points each, two more than both Charlie Conacher and Syl Apps. For his efforts Drillon, a 27 year old in his 6th season with the Leafs, was named the playoff MVP.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Syl Apps Toronto (47 GP 30-40-70)

VEZINA TROPHY: Frank Brimsek Boston (32-6-10, 1.78)

NORRIS TROPHY: Jack Stewart Detroit (48 GP,11-27-38)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Syl Apps Toronto (47 GP 30-40-70)

CALDER TROPHY: Elmer Lach Montreal (48 GP 9-26-35)

Code:

G   Frank Brimsek    Boston	Turk Broda	 Montreal	
D   Jack Stewart     Detroit	Jack Crawford	 Boston
C   Syl Apps	     Toronto	Milt Schmidt	 Boston
LW  Toe Blake	     Montreal 	Roy Conacher     Boston     
RW  Bobby Bauer	     Boston     Charlie Conacher Toronto
Old 12-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1941-42

1941-42

OFFSEASON
The big news this off-season was Eddie Shore's decision to retire. The 38 year old played in all 48 games for the Bruins last season, coming back from a serious knee injury that cost him most of the 39-40 campaign. He scored 4 times and added 23 assists to end his career with 418 points in 617 games, all with Boston. He was named NHL MVP in 1936 and won the Norris Trophy as top defenseman once to go along with 3 first team all-star selections.

Two other well known defensemen also retired. Toronto's Flash Hollett retired after 8 seasons and 7 Stanley Cups. In 340 games the 29 year old had 53 goals and 164 assists. He added 36 more points in 67 playoff games with the highlight of his career being the Conn Smythe Trophy he won in 1936.

Bucko McDonald of Detroit also retired and the young age of 27. McDonald spent 7 seasons on the Red Wings blueline, notching 126 points in 314 games.

Newcomers to keep an eye on this season include Toronto's Bob Goldham and a pair of Brooklyn Americans in Kenny Mosdell and Harry Watson. The Americans have renamed their club from New York to Brooklyn for the upcoming season.

REGULAR SEASON
The highlights during the season included Detroit defenseman Jack Stewart tying a record with 6 points in a game. Stewart scored twice and had 4 assists in the Wings 9-3 win over Brooklyn on November 15th.

Mac Colville of the New York Rangers also had a 6 point game (4 goals and 2 assists) in a 7-3 Rangers win over Brooklyn on Dec 10th.

Charlie Conacher of Toronto scored his 300th career NHL goal in a 5-2 win over Brooklyn on November 29th. Two weeks later Conacher would surpass Howie Morenz' total of 305 goals to become the NHL's alltime goal scoring leader. Conacher ended the season with 315 career goals. He also leads the NHL in career assists with 383 and points with 698.

For the first time since he entered the league Toronto's Syl Apps did not lead the NHL in scoring. The 27 year old center was limited to just 16 games because of a shoulder injury. Despite that he still managed to score 22 points. There is a chance he may return for the playoffs.

Boston once again finished with the best regular season record as the Bruins continued to have a combination of great goaltending from Frank Brimsek along with plenty of offense led by Roy Conacher, Milt Schmidt, Bobby Bauer and defenseman Dit Clapper.

Montreal's Toe Blake won the scoring title for the first time in his career and he teamed nicely on a line with Elmer Lach.

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Boston Bruins		48 32 14  2   66
Toronto	Maple Leafs	48 28 16  4   60
Montreal Canadiens	48 25 21  2   52
Detroit Red Wings 	48 23 22  3   49
New York Rangers	48 23 24  1   47
Chicago Black Hawks	48 19 27  2   40
Brooklyn Americans	48 10 36  2   22

Toe Blake		MON  48 29 43  72
Ab DeMarco		NYR  48 16 53  69
Roy Conacher		BOS  48 22 45  67
Elmer Lach		MON  48 20 45  65
Max Bentley		CHI  48 31 32  63
Milt Schmidt	 	BOS  48 24 39  63
Sid Abel		DET  48 33 27  60
Doug Bentley		CHI  48 23 36  59
Neil Colville		NYR  48 31 23  54
Bobby Bauer		BOS  46 24 30  54
PLAYOFFS
Unlike last season when injuries decimated the Bruins early in their playoff series with Toronto, Boston had everyone healthy and responded by spanking the Leafs soundly in winning four straight games. Dit Clapper had 10 points in the 4 games while forward Bobby Bauer had 7 goals and linemate Woody Dumart added 5. The Leafs were outscored 26-5 in the 4 games.

The other series needed 7 games to decide with Montreal winning at home in the decisive game by a 4-0 score. Turk Broda delivered the shutout while Toe Blake and Elmer Lach each had 3 points in the final win.

The Stanley Cup Finals was expected to be a goaltenders duel with Montreal's Turk Broda and Boston's Frank Brimsek both at the top of their games. The opener in the Boston Gardens ended up being a shootout as the Bruins escaped with a 5-4 victory. 9 different players scored in the contest with Boston's Roy Conacher leading the way with a goal and 2 helpers.

Boston took Game Two by a 7-4 score as Woody Dumart scored twice for the Bruins while Toe Blake had a 3 point night in a losing cause for Montreal.

The goalies settled down in Game Three and Montreal earned a 2-0 victory thanks to a 23 save shutout from Broda. Elmer Lach and Bill Juzda had the Habs goals.

Boston took a 3 games to one lead with a 2-1 victory in Game Four. Woody Dumart assisted on both Boston goals which came after Johnny Quilty had staked the Habs to an early lead in the first period.

Boston won the Stanley Cup two nights later as the Bruins scored three third period goals, including 2 from defenseman Jimmy Orlando to rally for a 4-2 victory and their second Cup title in 3 years.

Toe Blake of Montreal led all playoff performers with 11 goals and 18 assists. Roy Conacher of Boston was next with 16 points while Dumart added 15 including 8 goals. With 3 goals and 10 assists to go with an outstanding defensive effort Boston rearguard Dit Clapper was named the playoff MVP.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Elmer Lach Montreal (48 GP 20-45-65)

VEZINA TROPHY: Turk Broda Montreal (25-17-5, 2.64)

NORRIS TROPHY: Jack Stewart Detroit (46 GP,14-35-49)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Toe Blake Montreal (48 GP 29-43-72)

CALDER TROPHY: Billy Taylor Toronto (43 GP 23-24-47)

Code:

G   Turk Broda	 Montreal	Frank Brimsek    Boston
D   Jack Stewart     Detroit	Kenny Reardon    Montreal
C   Elmer Lach	     Montreal   Milt Schmidt     Boston
LW  Toe Blake	     Montreal 	Roy Conacher     Boston     
RW  Bobby Bauer	     Boston     Bill Mosienko    Chicago
Old 12-19-2016, 08:57 PM   #15
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1942-43

1942-43

OFFSEASON
The biggest news heading into 1942-43 is the arrival of Maurice Richard. The 20 year old will join the Montreal Canadiens this season. Other rookies arriving this year are Ted Kennedy and Bud Poile in Toronto, along with Detroit defenseman Bill Quackenbush.

The only retirement of note is the decision by longtime Toronto Maple Leaf defensman Red Horner to walk away from the game. Horner was a part of 9 Stanley Cup winning teams with the Leafs and won the Norris Trophy twice. He played 578 regular season games and scored 305 points including 69 goals. The 33 year old also had 56 points in 105 playoff contests.

Meanwhile, the Brooklyn Americans franchise has folded up operations leaving the NHL with 6 teams.

Just before the regular season started the Boston Bruins learned they would be without goaltender Frank Brimsek for at least a month. Brimsek suffered a knee injury in training camp and the Bruins will be forced to rely on 39 year old Tiny Thompson to get them through the early part of the season.

REGULAR SEASON
Syl Apps returned in a big way from the injury that cost him most of last season. He set an NHL record with an 18 game point streak during the season, a run that also saw the 28 year old score at least one goal in 11 straight games.

Veteran Boston defenseman Dit Clapper became the second player in NHL history to reach 600 career points. By the time the season ended the 36 year old had 638 career points, trailing only Charlie Conacher who presently sits at 744.

Montreal rookie Maurice Richard had quite an NHL debut, scoring twice in his first game as the Canadiens doubled Boston 4-2 at the Gardens. Both Richard goals came in the third period against Tiny Thompson to snap a 2-2 tie and give the Canadiens the win. Despite missing 9 games with fractured ribs the Rocket ended the season with 26 goals and 53 points.

While they might have lost their season opener the Boston Bruins easily withstood the early absence of Brimsek and went on to post the league's best record. The Bruins had the most potent offense in the league led by 26 year old Roy Conacher, who established a new NHL single season record for assists (57) and points (80).

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Boston Bruins		50 36  6  8   80
Montreal Canadiens	50 28 13  9   65
Detroit Red Wings 	50 24 19  7   55
Toronto	Maple Leafs	50 18 25  7   43
Chicago Black Hawks	50 14 32  4   32
New York Rangers	50  9 34  7   25

Roy Conacher		BOS  50 23 57  80
Bobby Bauer		BOS  50 34 43  77
Milt Schmidt	 	BOS  48 40 35  75
Toe Blake		MON  45 31 38  69
Syl Apps		TOR  50 30 37  67
Elmer Lach		MON  43 20 44  64
Max Bentley		CHI  44 23 40  63
Woody Dumart		BOS  50 32 29  61
Doug Bentley		CHI  50 23 34  57
PLAYOFFS
The game continues to have first play second and third vs fourth instead of 1v3 and 2v4 as it was in this time period so the opening round will pit Boston against Montreal and Detroit vs Toronto.

The Detroit Red Wings beat the Toronto Maple Leafs in 5 games but the big news was the greatest single game performance ever seen. It occurred in Game Two of the series as Detroit blasted Toronto by a 9-1 score. Carl Liscombe of the Red Wings had 6 goals and 3 assists.

In the other series the Montreal Canadiens had little trouble beating the Boston Bruins in 5 games. Elmer Lach led the Habs with 7 points in the series while Rocket Richard added 3 goals.

Game One of the Stanley Cup finals needed overtime to determine a winner and Elmer Lach delivered for the Canadiens, scoring his second of the game on a pass from Richard at the 14:55 mark of the first overtime lifting Montreal to a 3-2 victory.

Game Two was another tight contest and again Montreal came out on top. Mud Bruneteau snapped a 3-3 tie with 13 seconds remaining in regulation to give Montreal a 4-3 victory after Detroit had scored 3 times earlier in the period to rally and tie the contest.

Game Three also saw Montreal pull out a late 4-3 victory as Maurice Richard sent the Olympia crowd home dejected when he scored his second of the game, assisted by Lach and Toe Blake, with 32 seconds remaining in the third period. Lach had tied the game for Montreal just two minutes earlier.

The Canadiens complete the sweep with another 4-3 victory despite a 3 assist performance from Carl Liscombe of the Red Wings. While Detroit held the line of Lach-Richard and Blake off the scoresheet the lesser lights came thru for the Habs as Buddy O'Connor, Kenny Mosdell, George Allen and Lynn Patrick scored the Montreal goals.

Detroit's Sid Abel led all playoff scorers with 18 points followed by Liscombe with 16 and Montreal's Elmer Lach with 15 points. Lach was named the playoff MVP.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Syl Apps Toronto (50 GP 30-37-67)

VEZINA TROPHY: Turk Broda Montreal (28-13-8, 2.58)

NORRIS TROPHY: Jack Stewart Detroit (50 GP,18-37-55)

ART ROSS TROPHY
: Roy Conacher Boston (50 GP 23-57-80)

CALDER TROPHY: Maurice Richard Montreal (41 GP 26-27-53)

Code:

G   Turk Broda	     Montreal	Frank Brimsek    Boston
D   Kenny Reardon    Montreal	Babe Pratt	 NY Rangers	
D   Jack Stewart     Detroit	Dit Clapper	 Boston
C   Milt Schmidt     Boston	Elmer Lach	 Montreal   
LW  Roy Conacher     Boston  	Toe Blake	 Montreal 	   
RW  Bobby Bauer	     Boston     Maurice Richard  Montreal
Attached Images
Old 12-22-2016, 10:25 PM   #16
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1943-44

1943-44

OFFSEASON
Pretty quiet off-season with no major retirements or trades. New players entering the league include goaltender Bill Durnan in Montreal, Gus Bodnar and Gus Mortson in Toronto, Don Raleigh joining the Rangers and netminder Harry Lumley in Detroit. Will be interesting to see what the Canadiens do with their goaltending as they have Turk Broda, who has won back to back Vezina Trophies along with Earl Robertson, who is still just 32 and enjoyed some very good seasons in Detroit. Now you add in Durnan and fellow rookie Gerry McNeil and there is quite a logjam.

REGULAR SEASON
The big story was the emergence of Maurice Richard as the dominant player in the league. Richard would lead the NHL with 37 goals and finish third in points with 75. He was amazingly consistent and set a record by earning a point in 44 straight games, smashing the old mark of of 18 established by Syl Apps of Toronto last year.

Elmer Lach (19-68-87) led the NHL in scoring for the first time in his career as he, Richard and Toe Blake(30-36-66) became the most feared trioka in the loop. The Canadiens breezed to the regular season title, losing just 5 games in the process and finishing 19 points ahead of second place Toronto. There was no goalie controversy in Montreal this season as Turk Broda remained the starter and played every game while Bill Durnan spent the year in the minors.

Meanwhile Boston veteran Dit Clapper (13-40-53) surpassed the 750 game mark and finished the season with 773 career regular season games. Charlie Conacher (11-25-36), who continues to play for Toronto is second all-time at 647.

Injuries hit some big time stars as Ranger defenseman Babe Pratt, Chicago's Max Bentley and Boston's Roy Conacher all missed significant time.

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Montreal Canadiens	50 37  5  8   82
Toronto	Maple Leafs	50 29 16  5   63
Detroit Red Wings 	50 23 16 11   57
Boston Bruins		50 23 20  7   53
Chicago Black Hawks	50 10 34  6   26
New York Rangers	50  8 39  3   19

Elmer Lach		MON  48 19 68  87
Sid Abel		DET  50 31 54  85
Maurice Richard		MON  48 37 38  75
Syl Apps		TOR  50 32 42  74
Milt Schmidt	 	BOS  50 36 30  66
Toe Blake		MON  41 30 36  66
Nick Metz		TOR  50 26 38  64
Woody Dumart		BOS  50 27 34  61
Billy Taylor		TOR  48 24 35  59
Jack Stewart		DET  50 22 34  56
PLAYOFFS
Montreal had little trouble beating Toronto in 5 games as Lach, Blake and Richard combined for 26 points in the series. Meanwhile, in the other semi-final the Boston Bruins did something that had never been accomplished before - won 4 straight games after dropping the first three of the series. Detroit won Game 1 3-2 in overtime at home and took game two by an 8-3 score. A 6-2 win in Boston two nights later had the Wings on the brink of a rematch with Montreal in the Stanley Cup finals. However, the Bruins had other ideas.

Woody Dumart and Milt Schmidt each had a goal and an assist as the Bruins won game 4 3-2. Game 5 was a blowout 7-2 win for the Bruins and they followed that up with a tight 4-3 victory on home ice in Game 6 to even the series. Herb Cain would get the series winner in overtime as Boston completed the comeback with a 4-3 victory.

The celebration was short-lived as Boston made the trainride to Montreal and promptly got hammered 7-2 by the Habs in the opener of the Finals. Maurice Richard had a 4 point night in the Canadiens win.

Boston regrouped and won Game Two 3-2 to head home with the series tied. Home ice did not prove advantageous to the Bruins who lost both games by scores of 5-2 and 9-4. The Canadiens would win the Cup two days later with a 6-5 victory on Forum ice. The game winner came in overtime off the stick of Toe Blake with Elmer Lach and Maurice Richard drawing the assists.

Lach led all playoff performers with 20 points in 10 games, one more than Blake. Richard topped goal scorers with 7 and ended with 16 points but the playoff MVP went to defenseman Ken Reardon, who tallied 4 goals and 12 assists in the post-season.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Sid Abel Detroit (50 GP 31-54-85)

VEZINA TROPHY: Turk Broda Montreal (37-5-8, 2.51)

NORRIS TROPHY: Jack Stewart Detroit (50 GP,22-34-56)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Elmer Lach Montreal (48 GP 19-68-87)

CALDER TROPHY: Bob Fillion Montreal (50 GP 18-29-47)

Code:

G   Turk Broda	     Montreal	Chuck Rayner     Detroit
D   Kenny Reardon    Montreal	Moe Morris	 Toronto
D   Jack Stewart     Detroit	Butch Bouchard	 Montreal
C   Sid Abel	     Detroit	Elmer Lach	 Montreal   
LW  Toe Blake	 Montreal 	Nick Metz	 Toronto 
RW  Maurice Richard  Montreal   Dit Clapper	 Boston
Old 12-23-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1944-45

1944-45

OFF-SEASON
New players entering the league this season include Ted Lindsay and Marty Pavelich with Detroit, Fern Flaman in Boston and a bunch of new Maple Leafs led by Red Kelly and Bill Ezinicki.

The only retirement of note was Ab DeMarco. The 28 year old played 1 season with Chicago before spending the past 5 with the New York Rangers. Injuries limited the North Bay, Ontario native to 25 games last season and he finished his career with 49 goals and 193 points in 225 career NHL games. His best season was 1941-42 when he had 69 points and finished second to Toe Blake in the scoring race.

REGULAR SEASON
The Montreal Canadiens continued their recent dominance of the league as the Punch Line of Maurice Richard (41-34-75), Elmer Lach (22-59-81) and Toe Blake (32-30-62) continued to shine. Lach's 81 points tied Detroit's Sid Abel (34-47-81) for the scoring lead but the Montreal pivot was denied his second straight Art Ross Trophy, which went to Abel based on scoring more goals.

Turk Broda (35-8-6, 2.29) again played every game in net to help Montreal surrender the fewest goals against in the league. Montreal's total of 114 allowed was 54 fewer than the next closest team. The Habs 233 goals for was one shy of league leading Toronto as the 3rd place Leafs still had plenty of offense but did not get the necessary goaltending out of 26 year old rookie Frank McCool (26-19-5, 3.36).

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Montreal Canadiens	50 35  8  7   77
Detroit Red Wings 	50 26 17  7   59
Toronto	Maple Leafs	50 26 19  5   57
Boston Bruins		50 19 23  8   46
Chicago Black Hawks	50 12 31  7   31
New York Rangers	50 10 30 10   30

Sid Abel		DET  50 34 47  81
Elmer Lach		MON  46 22 59  81
Maurice Richard		MON  46 41 34  75
Syl Apps		TOR  35 21 48  69
Gus Bodnar		TOR  50 25 42  67
Max Bentley		CHI  45 24 40  64
Roy Conacher	        BOS  50 18 46  64
Billy Taylor		TOR  47 27 36  63
Toe Blake		MON  44 32 30  62
Gaye Stewart		TOR  50 31 30  61
PLAYOFFS
Montreal had little trouble with Detroit in their semi-final series as the Canadiens prevailed in 5 games led by 6 goals and 11 points from Maurice Richard. The Boston Bruins and Toronto Maple Leafs had a hard fought seven game series that ended with a 6-4 Boston victory in the deciding contest. Milt Schmidt paced the Boston offense with 11 points while veteran Roy Conacher had 5 goals and 5 assists.

The Finals would be a rematch of last season and started with the defending champs beating Boston 5-4 on home ice in Game One. Elmer Lach and Maurice Richard each scored twice in the Montreal victory.

Milt Schmidt scored a pair in Game Two including the winner with 4:15 remaining in regulation to give Boston a 3-2 win and even the series. Schmidt struck again with the winner in game three, this time with just 13 seconds remaining in regulation to give Boston another 3-2 victory.

Game Four was all Montreal as the Canadiens evened the series with a decisive 6-1 victory. Elmer Lach had 3 goals and 2 assists to pace the Montreal attack while goaltender Turk Broda made 28 saves.

Montreal took Game 5 by a 3-2 score but the Habs lost Lach in the process. The centerman suffered a broken thumb in the game after assisting on the first two Montreal goals.

With Lach sidelined the Bruins came up with an inspired effort in Game Six, winning 6-3 to force a 7th game in the finals. Herb Cain led Boston with 2 goals and an assist. Kenny Mosdell moved up to the first line for Montreal to replace Lach and he did deliver 2 assists in the game.

An amazing end to the season as the Boston Bruins won the Stanley Cup with a 3-2 overtime victory in Game Seven. Woody Dumart got the Cup winner 6:16 into the extra period after the Canadiens had rallied to tie the game on a Maurice Richard goal with just 30 seconds remaining in regulation.

For the first time in history the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff MVP went to someone who did not win the Cup as Maurice Richard, with a playoff leading 12 goals and 24 points was named the winner.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Sid Abel Detroit (50 GP 34-47-81)

VEZINA TROPHY: Turk Broda Montreal (35-8-6, 2.29)

NORRIS TROPHY: Butch Bouchard Montreal (50 GP,10-31-41)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Sid Abel Detroit (50 GP 34-47-81)

CALDER TROPHY: Peter Horeck Chicago (43 GP 22-18-40)

Code:

D   Butch Bouchard   Montreal	Moe Morris	 Toronto
D   Jack Stewart     Detroit	Glen Harmon	 Montreal
LW  Roy Conacher     Boston     Toe Blake	 Montreal 	 
RW  Maurice Richard  Montreal   Gus Bodnar	 Toronto
Old 12-24-2016, 01:53 PM   #18
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1945-46

1945-46

OFF-SEASON
The big news this offseason is the addition of Gordie Howe to the Detroit Red Wings organization. The 17 year old is the highlight of this year's rookie crop that also includes Bill Barilko in Toronto, Cal Gardner with the Rangers and Leo Reise joining Chicago.

The only retirement of note is John Mariucci's decision to hang up the skates after 5 seasons with the Chicago Black Hawks. The defenseman played in 214 career games, scoring 10 goals and adding 39 assists.

No trades of any significance over the offseason. In the preseason I did see that Carl Liscombe had a 6 point game (4G 2A) in a 9-2 Detroit win over Toronto. Liscombe is best known in this sim for setting the single game record for goals (6) and points (9) in a Wings playoff win over Toronto a couple of years back.

REGULAR SEASON
Toronto's Syl Apps became just the third player in NHL history to reach the 600 point plateau. The veteran Toronto Maple Leaf pivot finished the season with 637 points. Charlie Conacher (788) and Dit Clapper (746), both still active, are 1-2 in career points.

The gap between the playoff clubs and have-nots Chicago and New York widened as neither the Hawks or Rangers managed to win 10 games on the season while the other 4 clubs were all well over .500. Montreal, led by Elmer Lach tying his own record with 87 points on the season, finished with the best regular season record for the third straight season.

Maurice Richard missed 6 games with an injury but still led the league with in goals with 37. In 4 seasons the Rocket has scored 141 regular season goals which already has him tied for 30th all-time in the NHL. Gordie Howe, still just 17 years old, spent the entire season in the minor leagues.

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Montreal Canadiens	50 31 11  8   70
Toronto	Maple Leafs	50 29 15  6   64
Detroit Red Wings 	50 29 17  4   62
Boston Bruins		50 27 20  3   57
Chicago Black Hawks	50  9 35  6   24
New York Rangers	50  8 35  7   23

Elmer Lach		MON  50 28 59  87
Sid Abel		DET  50 32 47  79
Milt Schmidt		BOS  49 33 35  68
Toe Blake		MON  50 25 42  67
Roy Conacher	        BOS  49 19 44  63
Syl Apps		TOR  50 21 39  60
Maurice Richard		MON  44 37 21  58
Bobby Bauer		BOS  50 20 37  57
Max Bentley		CHI  47 21 35  56
Gus Bodnar		TOR  50 20 35  55
PLAYOFFS
The Boston Bruins seem to love long playoff series and they had another 7 game semi-final with the Detroit Red Wings. The Bruins rallied to overcome a 3 games to one deficit, taking Game Six in overtime and winning the 7th game 5-3 thanks to a hat trick from Milt Schmidt. The Bruins have a habit of comeback wins over Detroit as they overcame a 3 games to none deficit in the semi-finals two years ago. Last season Boston was forced to a 7th game in both of their series wins including the finals over Montreal to claim their third Stanley Cup.

The other semi-final saw Montreal easily top Toronto in 5 games setting up a Boston-Montreal rematch.

Game One went to Montreal by a 3-2 score as Buddy O'Connor scored twice for the Habs and defenseman Glen Harmon assisted on all 3 Canadiens markers.

O'Connor was the star of Game Two as he scored again and added a pair of helpers in a 4-2 Montreal victory. A 5th year pro, the 29 year old centre is normally overshadowed by the big guns Lach, Blake and Richard. O'Connor scored 11 times in the regular season this year and added 20 assists. He has 88 career regular season goals in 235 games with another 23 in 44 playoff contests.

Back on home ice the Bruins took a quick lead in Game Three when Herb Cain scored in the first period but Montreal evened the contest when O'Connor set up Wally Stanowski in the second period. The winning goal came off the stick of Montreal's Bob Fillion early in the third period and Turk Broda made that 2-1 lead stand up for the rest of the game

With their back against the wall, Boston got two goals from Cain including the overtime winner to stay alive in the series with a 4-3 victory.

There would be no miracle comeback this time as the Bruins went out meekly in Game Five, falling 6-1 in the Montreal Forum. Kenny Mosdell had a goal and 2 assists in the deciding contest while Rocket Richard added a pair of goals.

Roy Conacher led all playoff performers with 16 points, including 4 goals. His Boston teammate Bobby Bauer was the top goal scorer with 7 but the Conn Smythe Trophy went to Montreal defenseman Wally Stanowski. The 26 year old had 2 goals and 8 assists in 10 games and was dominant on the Canadiens defense logging extra minutes with Kenny Reardon and Butch Bouchard both sidelined for the entire playoffs.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Sid Abel Detroit (50 GP 32-47-79)

VEZINA TROPHY: Turk Broda Montreal (31-11-6, 2.34)

NORRIS TROPHY: Jack Stewart Detroit (50 GP,11-33-44)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Elmer Lach Montreal (50 GP 28-59-87)

CALDER TROPHY: Marty Pavelich Detroit (50 GP 8-18-26)

Code:

D   Ken Reardon      Montreal	Jack Crawford    Boston
D   Jack Stewart     Detroit	Wally Stanowski	 Montreal
LW  Toe Blake	     Montreal   Roy Conacher     Boston      	 
RW  Maurice Richard  Montreal   Bobby Bauer	 Boston
Old 12-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #19
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1946-47

1946-47

OFFSEASON
No retirements but a few new players of note entered the league this off-season led by Bill Gadsby joining the Chicago organization and Terry Sawchuk arriving in Detroit. Chicago also adds Bert Olmstead and the Leafs get Fleming Mackell and Sid Smith.

Boston suffered a major loss in the preseason as Roy Conacher injured his hand and is expected to be sidelined until mid-January. The 30 year old had 63 points last season and has 457 points in his 358 game career - all with the Bruins. He won the Calder Trophy in 1938-39 and also has an Art Ross Trophy and 3 first team all-star berths on his resume.

REGULAR SEASON
With the schedule expanded from 50 to 60 games the big story of the season was Maurice Richard's pursuit of 50 goals. The Rocket would finish 1 shy of the half-century mark as he was held off the scoresheet in the final game of the season, a 3-2 loss to Boston. Richard did set the new single season record for goals (49) and points as he became the first player in league history to top the 100 mark, ending up with 104.

40 year old Dit Clapper just keeps on going with the Boston Bruins. The NHL's all-time assist leader recorded his milestone 500th career helper late in the season in a loss to Toronto. In 896 career games, Clapper has 760 points including 14 points in 33 contests this year.

Detroit's Ted Lindsay set a regular season record for goals in a game when he scored all 5 Red Wing markers in a 5-2 victory over Chicago on January 9th. The 21 year old Lindsay is in his third season with the Wings and had career best 46 goals and 90 points this year.

Meanwhile, Ted Kennedy of Toronto had a 7 point game (2G 5A) as the Leafs blasted Boston 11-2 on January 18th. The record for goals in a game is 6 and points is 9 held by Detroit's Carl Liscombe in a playoff contest against Toronto.

The Canadiens again finished with the best regular season record for the fourth straight season. Detroit and Toronto both returned to the playoffs but Boston, after reaching the Finals a year ago, could not overcome the injury to Roy Conacher and the effect age was having on many of their key players. The Bruins slump, combined with an incredible improvement from the New York Rangers, left Boston out of the playoffs for the first time in the history of this sim.

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Montreal Canadiens	60 43 12  5   91
Detroit Red Wings 	60 34 17  9   77
New York Rangers	60 27 25  8   62
Toronto	Maple Leafs	60 25 26  9   59
Boston Bruins		60 18 33  9   45
Chicago Black Hawks	60  9 43  8   26

Maurice Richard		MON  60 49 55 104
Ted Lindsay		DET  60 46 44  90
Sid Abel		DET  60 25 64  89
Elmer Lach		MON  54 40 44  84
Kenny Mosdell		MON  60 30 42  72
Billy Taylor		TOR  60 25 46  71
Grant Warwick		NY   60 28 36  64
Jack Stewart	   	DET  60 18 45  64
Ted Kennedy		TOR  48 21 42  63
Gaye Stewart		TOR  54 26 36  62
PLAYOFFS
The New York Rangers first trip to the playoffs since 1940 was short-lived as Toronto swept their semi-final series 4 straight. The other series saw the Detroit Red Wings and Montreal Canadiens put on an incredible offensive display that ended with Detroit winning the series in 6 games. Toe Blake led all scorers with 7 goals and 12 points while his linemate Richard had 3 goals and 10 points. Detroit's big gun was Sid Abel who earned 10 points of his own during the series.

Abel would continue his scoring prowess in Game One of the finals as he scored twice and added 4 assists as the Red Wings took the series opener 7-4 at The Olympia. Abel would get 3 more points in Game Two but it wasn't enough as Billy Taylor's 2 goals helped Toronto double the Wings 6-3.

The series would shift to Toronto and the Leafs would win both games by the score of 4-3. Ted Kennedy had a pair of goals and an assist to lead Toronto in Game Three and Bud Polie's overtime marker was the difference two nights later.

Back in Detroit for Game Five with the Wings on the brink of elimination. The Wings would get two goals each from Ted Lindsay and Jim Conacher to earn a 5-2 victory. Detroit would then go into Toronto two nights later and force a 7th game as Lindsay had 2 goals and 2 assists while Abel chipped in with 3 points in a 6-3 Red Wings victory.

Game Seven had plenty of suspense for just over 20 minutes. Ted Kennedy staked the visiting Leafs to a 1-0 lead in the first period and then the Leafs blew the game open with 4 more goals in the first 10 minutes of the second period. When it was all said and done Toronto had another Stanley Cup (their 10th of the sim) with an 8-1 victory. For the Red Wings, it was their fourth trip to the Stanley Cup finals but they have yet to taste champagne.

Toronto's Ted Kennedy with 9 goals and 21 points was named the Conn Smythe Trophy winner but the real story of the playoffs was Sid Abel. The Wings centre led all perfomers with 25 points, which I believe is a playoff record.

Unlike their other 9 championships when Toronto was a dominant team, this Cup win has to be considered quite an upset for the Leafs, who finished 4th in the regular season and had not won a playoff series since their last Cup win 6 years ago.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Sid Abel Detroit (60 GP 25-64-89) No idea how this did not go to Richard. Even Ted Lindsay would be a better choice in my mind than Abel, who wins his 4th straight MVP.

VEZINA TROPHY: Turk Broda Montreal (37-11-5, 2.52)

NORRIS TROPHY: Jack Stewart Detroit (60 GP,19-45-64)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Maurice Richard Montreal (60 GP 49-55-104)

CALDER TROPHY: JP Lamirande New York (60 GP 11-20-31)

Code:

G   Turk Broda	     Montreal	Sugar Jim Henry  New York
D   Ken Reardon      Montreal	Bill Quackenbush Detroit
D   Jack Stewart     Detroit	JP Lamirande     New York
LW  Ted Lindsay	     Detroit    Gaye Stewart     Toronto      	 
RW  Maurice Richard  Montreal   Ted Kennedy	 Toronto
Old 12-24-2016, 01:56 PM   #20
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

1947-48

1947-48

OFFSEASON
The Boston Bruins may have picked up their goaltender of the future when they made a deal with Detroit to acquire 20 year old Harry Lumley. Lumley appeared in 13 games for the Wings over the past two seasons but his path to the Wings crease was blocked by veteran Chuck Rayner and hotshot prospect Terry Sawchuk. In return the Bruins part with 21 year old right winger Pentti Lund, who had 2 goals and 1 assist in 14 games with Boston as a rookie last year. 31 year old Frank Brimsek played all 60 games for the Bruins last season but had the worst year of his 9 year career.

Surprised Boston did not make a deal for Bill Durnan, who is now 31 years old and has played just 10 career NHL games with Montreal as he sits behind the legendary Turk Broda with the Habs.

One unexpected retirement as Pete Horeck ended his career at the tender age of 24. 3 years ago the Chicago Black Hawks winger was named rookie of the year after scoring 22 goals and 40 points in 43 games. That would be his career high as Horeck had just 28 points in 50 games the following season and spent half of last year in the minors, scoring just 4 goals in 38 games with the Hawks.

Montreal gets a huge influx of talent this year as Doug Harvey, Tom Johnson, Dickie Moore, Andy Hebenton and Dollard St. Laurent all enter the Habs system. Other notable newcomers include Tim Horton to Toronto and Marcel Pronovost to the Red Wings.

After playing in just 12 games for Boston last season, veteran Roy Conacher looks like he is ready for a big year. The 31 year old showed no ill effects from the hand injury that cost him most of last season especially in a preseason win over Chicago. Conacher had 7 points (1G 6A) as the Bruins pounded the Black Hawks 8-1 in exhibition action.

REGULAR SEASON
This would be the year of the injury as 3 big stars all missed substantial time - Montreal's Elmer Lach and Maurice Richard along with Red Wing star Sid Abel. Abel's injury was the most serious, sidelining him for 49 games. Richard and Lach each missed about a dozen contests in December and January and as a result the Canadiens looked to be in jeopardy of losing their hold on first place overall. However, a late charge when the two stars returned combined with a terrible slump for Toronto allowed Montreal to easily claim a 5th straight regular season title.

Code:

GP  W  L  T  PTS   
Montreal Canadiens	60 37 12 11   85
Toronto	Maple Leafs	60 34 17  9   77
Boston Bruins		60 25 22 13   63
Detroit Red Wings 	60 26 26  8   60
Chicago Black Hawks	60 15 33 12   42
New York Rangers	60 13 40  7   33

Ted Kennedy		TOR  60 40 43  83
Toe Blake		MON  60 30 49  79
Elmer Lach		MON  48 21 54  75
Syl Apps		TOR  60 18 55  73
Maurice Richard		MON  49 35 31  66
Gaye Stewart		TOR  58 27 39  66
Kenny Mosdell		MON  60 29 36  65
Ted Lindsay		DET  55 35 29  64
Max Bentley		CHI  60 25 33  58
Bep Guidolin		BOS  58 28 28  56
Roy Conacher		BOS  57 20 36  56
PLAYOFFS
The Montreal Canadiens strong play to finish the season continued into the playoffs as the now fully healthy Habs easily knocked off the slumping and injury riddled Leafs in 5 games. The other semi-final had the makings of a rout as Detroit won the first two games on Boston ice by scores of 10-3 and 6-0. Red Wings defenseman Jack Stewart had a 5 goal, 2 assist performance in the opening game and followed that up with 4 points in Game Two. Boston saved face with a win in Game Three but the Wings went up 3 games to one with a 4-2 victory in Game Four.

Boston wins in Games Five and Six had people thinking the Bruins would make another amazing comeback against Detroit but the Bruins fell just short this time as Detroit took Game Seven 4-3 on a power play goal in overtime off the stick of Pat Lundy.

This would be the Red Wings 5th trip to the Finals in the past 9 years but they have yet to hoist the Stanley Cup. Montreal missed the finals last year for the first time since 1940. The Habs have won 3 Cups in the past 5 years.

Led by a 24 save effort from veteran Turk Broda the Montreal Canadiens took the series opener 3-1. Toe Blake, Kenny Mosdell and Leo Gravelle scored for the Habs with Sid Abel getting the lone Detroit goal.

Game Two went to the Red Wings as Pentti Lund scored in overtime for a 4-3 victory after Detroit had rallied to tie the game with 2 goals in the final 10 minutes of regulation.

Game Three also went to overtime and again the Red Wings prevailed by a 4-3 score. Rookie Barry Sulivan, who scored 7 goals in 43 regular season games, was the hero as he notched his first career playoff goal 17 minutes into the first overtime.

The Red Wings moved to within one game of a Stanley Cup title after winning Game Four 7-4 at The Olympia. Pentti Lund led the Detroit offense with 2 goals and an assist while Sid Abel also had 3 points. Broda had a terrible start in the Montreal net and was pulled after allowing 3 goals on 7 shots in the first six minutes. He was replaced by 32 year old backup Bill Durnan, who was appearing in just his second career playoff contest. The Habs also lost Elmer Lach to an abdominal strain and he was doubtful for Game Five.

Kenny Mosdell scored twice and Maurice Richard had a pair of assists as the Canadiens stayed alive with a 5-4 victory in Game Five. Broda had a little better game in the Montreal net but still surrendered 4 goals on just 24 shots.

The Detroit Red Wings won their first Stanley Cup in franchise history with a 3-2 victory on home ice in Game Six. Red Wings defenseman, who would also win his 7th Norris Trophy this season, was named the Conn Smythe Trophy winner. Stewart became the first defenseman to lead the playoffs in scoring with 13 goals and 10 assists. Fittingly Stewart would score the goal that would be the Cup winner for the Wings. Jim McFadden and Ted Lindsay also scored for Detroit while Sid Abel would earn a pair of assists.

I should add that 19 year old Gordie Howe made his NHL debut this season. Mr Hockey played in 17 regular season games, scoring 3 times and adding 2 assists. He also suited up for 2 playoff games for the Wings so he will get his name etched on the Stanley Cup.

Other Award winners:

HART TROPHY: Max Bentley Chicago (60GP 25-33-58)

VEZINA TROPHY: Turk Broda Montreal (37-12-11, 2.25)

NORRIS TROPHY: Jack Stewart Detroit (51 GP,20-25-45)

ART ROSS TROPHY: Ted Kennedy Toronto (60 GP 40-43-83)

CALDER TROPHY: Tom Johnson Montreal (51 GP 2-10-12)

Code:

G   Turk Broda	     Montreal	Chuck Rayner	 Detroit
D   Ken Reardon      Montreal	Bill Quackenbush Detroit
D   Jack Stewart     Detroit	Bob Goldham 	 Toronto
C   Syl Apps	     Toronto	Max Bentley	 Chicago  
LW  Ted Lindsay	     Detroit    Toe Blake	 Montreal      	 
RW  Ted Kennedy	     Toronto    Maurice Richard  Montreal