Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
spike94wl
Bat Boy

Starting a stats only league...

Hi all,

I've been an avid OOTPer for about 3 or 4 years. Love everything about the game.

My problem has always been that I have trouble keeping a league going for more than a few seasons (either my team wins the world series or I'm winning 100 games every year and I lose interest). So I'm trying to challenge myself and create a stats only league. Before I created it, I wanted to see how you all had yours set up and if you had any suggestions on pitfalls to avoid.

I assume feeder leagues for high school and college are a must for the draft. What set-up do you normally use for this? Do you set scouting to low, high, 100% accuracy? Are there any pitfalls that I should avoid when creating the league? Just curious to see what everyone's preferences are. Thanks!
spike94wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
This is how I play stats-only:

AI Eval: 0/67/22/11 - make sure you check the box for overall rating based on AI evaluation

Scouts on, normal

HS and college feeder leagues so there are stats to base the draft on

Batter aging: .250
Batter dev.: 1.000
Pitcher aging: .375
Pitcher dev.: .900
TCR: 67
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

The only real pitfall is too many college starters with only two pitches - Markus screwed this up and he'll have to be the one to fix it - and you may need to turn your feeder league player creation mods down.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
frankiegonzo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post

AI Eval: 0/67/22/11 - make sure you check the box for overall rating based on AI evaluation

Scouts on, normal

i have been using this settings and wow i love them very realistic and chellenging in my opinion more so then with ratings but i have a question if i dont check the box for the overall ratings based on a evalution will that afffect when new ratings are given to players because i have had a couple that had ok seasons enough to be rated higher then 20-20 but they dont might this be the reason for this happening??
also in my current year im 28-54 with a very solid team injuries have hit my pitching hard but i still have solid pitching even with those injuries and good offense but i keep loosing my hitters are struggling my pitching ok but i just cant win does this have to do with player personality you know where it says if there happy or unhappy does this have a big affect on players performance should i turn this off or am i making a big deal out of nothing..
frankiegonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

You can just turn off all the player personality stuff if you want. I do. Managing other people's happiness is not my idea of fun.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
spike94wl
Bat Boy

Quote:

Scouts on, normal

Cool. Thanks! Can't wait to see how different the game plays without ratings to go off of.
spike94wl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The only real pitfall is too many college starters with only two pitches - Markus screwed this up and he'll have to be the one to fix it - and you may need to turn your feeder league player creation mods down.

If i may ask, where are your player creation mods currently set at?
YanksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksFan View Post
If i may ask, where are your player creation mods currently set at?
Reduced to 90% of original across the board at the moment.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike94wl View Post
Cool. Thanks! Can't wait to see how different the game plays without ratings to go off of.
It's a whole new ball game. You have to use your best judgment on things you used to be able to just look up. And beware of small sample size - making a premature judgment can really bite you in the butt!

Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #10
frankiegonzo
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
You can just turn off all the player personality stuff if you want. I do. Managing other people's happiness is not my idea of fun.

yea im gonna turn it off because its ridiculous when every player is unahppy well thanks for the reply and man all the settings you use have made my ootp enjoyment go through the roof im having lots of fun
cheers...
frankiegonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Glad I could help. Have fun!

Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

Do you keep fielding ratings on and stamina? and how do you deal with the first 1-2 drafts when you dont have enough decent players?

How many feeders to add?

I want to play stats only but im not sure how to draft and how to get good amount of feeders going. BTW does anyone have a good HS template like nutt's NCAA?
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #13
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_superstar View Post
Do you keep fielding ratings on and stamina? and how do you deal with the first 1-2 drafts when you dont have enough decent players?

How many feeders to add?

I want to play stats only but im not sure how to draft and how to get good amount of feeders going. BTW does anyone have a good HS template like nutt's NCAA?
Yes, and at the league's creation you add full minors. I strongly recommend using only the number of feeder teams that are auto-created for your league and no more. Ten minutes of editing will get you named schools in your new feeder league and Justafan did some nice college logos,

Old 11-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #14
toxicavenger74
All Star Reserve

Stats only is the only way to play in my opinion. I wish there was a way to have the rating show up only for first year player draft so feeder leagues were not necessary as I do not like playing with feeders. I usually turn ratings on just for the draft and then turn them off.

Wolf--What trade settings do you use? I typically go with very low, hard, favor prospects.

Thanks,
toxicavenger74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #15
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Average/Very Hard/Heavily Favor Prospects

Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #16
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

For all you stats league vets, how do you look at the draft, what stats are big warning signs and big indicators?
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
YanksFan
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I strongly recommend using only the number of feeder teams that are auto-created for your league and no more.
Question about this. Only about 40 teams were auto-created when i selected Add College Feeder League and High School League. This can't be the right amount can it?
YanksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanksFan View Post
Question about this. Only about 40 teams were auto-created when i selected Add College Feeder League and High School League. This can't be the right amount can it?
Yes, it can be.

Old 11-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

From the manual:

"If you want your parent league's first-year player draft to be fed completely by feeder leagues, you will need to do some math to determine how many feeder league teams you will need to fill out your draft class completely. Feeder leagues with 5-year age ranges (18-22, for example) typically feed 6-9 players per team to the parent league each year. Smaller age-ranges result in more players entering the draft each year. So, using the default of a 5-year age range, we calculate as follows:

[Number of teams in your parent league] x [Number of rounds in your first-year player draft] = total # of players needed in first-year player draft
[total # of players needed for draft] / 6 (rounded up) = minimum # of feeder league teams required

For example, let's say you have a 16-team major league, and a 5-round first-year player draft. You need 16 x 5, or 80 players in your first-year player draft each year. We divide 80 by 6 and round up, getting 14. If you have 14 feeder league teams, you should get enough players from your feeder leagues to populate your first-year player draft entirely with feeder league players."

Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #20
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_superstar View Post
For all you stats league vets, how do you look at the draft, what stats are big warning signs and big indicators?
The basics, as always. WAR, FIP, etc.