Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

View Poll Results: What style of card back would you prefer?
Reproduce backs as close as possible, even if it has just one season of stats and career stats. 4 9.09%
Reproduce backs in the spirit of the design, always include as many stats as possible. 30 68.18%
Reproduce backs in the spirit of the era, but to me, the face of the card is more important. 10 22.73%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Card backs poll

I'm curious on the thoughts people have on the card backs.

Right now, we have more stats available, but not a lot of ways to produce interesting text data. So unfortunately, any card type that includes a lot of data, or trivia is probably out of our reach right now.

That said, there are three options that I'd like to see your thoughts on.
  1. Reproduce card backs generally as close as possible, even if it means that the card had only one season of stats and career stats, see the 1962 Topps card attached for reference. (probably requires the most time to produce a single card set, may have issues where there is a lot of text on the card)
  2. Reproduce card backs in the spirit of the design, but always include as many stats as possible even if it differs greatly from the real design.
  3. Reproduce card backs in the spirit of the era (i.e. card sets from the 1950s and 1960s can have a generic Topps-flavor design), but to me, the face of the card is more important. (could possibly make card design faster)
Attached Images

Last edited by BMW; 07-19-2010 at 04:29 PM.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Can't you do #2 and #3 at the same time? I gues I'm confused by the difference between the two. Isn't the design a part of the era?
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Can't you do #2 and #3 at the same time? I gues I'm confused by the difference between the two. Isn't the design a part of the era?
By era (#3), I mean a general design that might emulate most of the cards from 1950-1960. So the 1965 and 1964 card would have something that looks as close somewhat like the 1964 back, because the 1964 back might have a lot of common features that are indicative of the 1960s cards.

In #2, I mean that the 1965 card would have something that looks as close as possible to the 1965 back, while the 1964 card would have something that looks as close as possible to the 1964 back.

In some ways, because of the lack of text data and the concept that people want stats more than anything else, #2 and #3 may converge somewhat. Many card backs, especially Topps (and the attached is a good example of this), have large sections of cartoons and trivia that we may never be able to replicate well. #3 could make designing cards a lot faster. Still, it's just what I'm looking to do, other graphically inclined folks can tinker to their heart's content.

Last edited by BMW; 07-19-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #4
Tiesenberg
Major Leagues

BMW,

In no way do I have anywhere near the expertise in card making as you do, I want to show you something that I have been working on that might allow for trivia/facts to be included on cards.

The card has yet to be completed, but for now I am in the process of creating facts/trivia and linking the file to show up based upon player uniform number. This would limit the number of facts to 99 (0-99) but I would think it could get as also be geared to Team and Position. Then again, I might have misinterpreted what you initially meant.

I look forward to your next set.
Tiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiesenberg View Post
BMW,

In no way do I have anywhere near the expertise in card making as you do, I want to show you something that I have been working on that might allow for trivia/facts to be included on cards.

The card has yet to be completed, but for now I am in the process of creating facts/trivia and linking the file to show up based upon player uniform number. This would limit the number of facts to 99 (0-99) but I would think it could get as also be geared to Team and Position. Then again, I might have misinterpreted what you initially meant.

I look forward to your next set.
That is actually a very good design technique, which similar to the concept that I used to produce the gum stains on the 1974 Cards.

It's possible, although it could be a little time consuming since it's not just a matter of having the text available right now, but creating graphic portions with those trivia facts. But that's not to dissuade you, it's a brilliant idea, so go with it.

The fact that you were able to come up with the concept (regardless of whether it was on your own or from dissecting the XML I made for the 1974 Topps card) means you're really going to do well with this. That's an advanced concept to grasp.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
OakDragon
Hall Of Famer

I vote #3 plus as many stats as possible.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

very much like the backs of Tiesenbergs cards, the light background makes the stats easier to read.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
By era (#3), I mean a general design that might emulate most of the cards from 1950-1960. So the 1965 and 1964 card would have something that looks as close somewhat like the 1964 back, because the 1964 back might have a lot of common features that are indicative of the 1960s cards.

In #2, I mean that the 1965 card would have something that looks as close as possible to the 1965 back, while the 1964 card would have something that looks as close as possible to the 1964 back.

In some ways, because of the lack of text data and the concept that people want stats more than anything else, #2 and #3 may converge somewhat. Many card backs, especially Topps (and the attached is a good example of this), have large sections of cartoons and trivia that we may never be able to replicate well. #3 could make designing cards a lot faster. Still, it's just what I'm looking to do, other graphically inclined folks can tinker to their heart's content.
Gotcha. Then I'd go with #3.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote