Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Logos, Graphics, and HTML

Old 05-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Baseball Card Utility App

NOTE:Beta Version

Get More Info
Download

OOTP-Utils is a utility app designed to add some cool add-ons our to our favorite baseball sim program. There is only one utility included with this beta/test version, and that is the card editor. Here is how it works:
  1. Go into OOTP 11 and export your data as CSV files -- you may want to click the option that doesn't include the "accent" character
  2. Download the application and install
  3. Click on Import OOTP Csv Files (it will ask you where your import/export folder is)
  4. Import data until you get the green "Import complete" message.
  5. Go up to the top menu, Utilities, and click on Card Creator.

If all has gone correctly, you should see the editor with the default template loaded. You can now create cards based off of this template, load a different template, or start editing a new template.

Limitations:
Windows only
This app is based off of the Trident engine, so you should have the latest of version of Internet Explorer on your computer
Creates HTML cards, not image cards, so printing the entire card is largely dependent upon your printer drivers
EDIT: With the latest version, there is a utility included called html2image (after updating or installing, it is a menu choice under "Utilities"). Basically, you navigate to where your html cards are, the click "Use".
Then click "Go", and Internet Explorer will launch once for each html file, create a screen capture, crop the image, and save to a cardimages folder (in the same directory). This sounds a lot more complicated than it is. For those who already have this program, just click on "Check for updates" within the program.

Known Issues:
Team names with commas in them (Colt 45's) will break pretty much everything. This will be fixed with the first non-beta release.
The app must be installed to the C:\ drive (it has issues if it is installed to a directory with a space in it)

Other:
The entire application is written in PHP and imports CSV files to an SQLite database. Although the executable is compiled, the rest of the app is in plain code, and completely open-source. It also installs the Wapache server to serve the php coded pages. Eventually this will allow for a lot of other apps to be ran without being located on a remote server (other apps will have a directory they can be loaded to and instructions for connecting to the database).

This thread is mainly to test out the app and discover bugs. There will be bugs..oh yes...there will be bugs.

Last edited by joe_44850; 05-21-2010 at 04:38 PM.
joe_44850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Here are some cards I created using this app (these templates are included with the download):
Old 05-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Here is an example a resulting team file:
Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
ry1220
All Star Reserve

Wow!!! Looks sick!

One question...can our own templates be added?
ry1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Nice job Joe. Will you be able to save multiple designs so that you can have designs tailored for each specific team in your league?
Old 05-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #6
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Alright, I feel a little stupid, but I dl'ed to the default location, the program seems to be working properly, I see the individual player names being created, doing one team at a time. But I looked where the cards are supposed to be and can't find them anywhere. Program says the output file should be the default template, but nothing there except templates.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #7
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Drill down into the templates themselves, and inside that folder should be your team folder. So, if you have C:\Program Files\OOTP-utils\baseball cards\cards\1950-tpl (for example), inside 1950 you should see your team folder (you were almost there, you just need to go into the template folder and you should see your team folder). Let me know if it's still not showing up.

Thanks for giving it a spin!

Last edited by joe_44850; 05-19-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #8
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

"One question...can our own templates be added?"
Yes, you can tailor the templates however you want -- you just need to call them something different in the template name field. Anytime you give the template a different name, you have essentially created a new template. You can add your own template images, and fonts.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Hi Joe, I'm having the same issue.

Looking here and not seeing any (don't see a team folder either).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_44850 View Post
Drill down into the templates themselves, and inside that folder should be your team folder. So, if you have C:\Program Files\OOTP-utils\baseball cards\cards\1950-tpl (for example), inside 1950 you should see your team folder (you were almost there, you just need to go into the template folder and you should see your team folder). Let me know if it's still not showing up.

Thanks for giving it a spin!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Well...crap. Looks like we need a patch. Let me look into it and I'll see what I can do.

One quick question, when you go inside the tpl folder, what do you see? You should see the following:
_images (folder)
_css (folder)
_fonts (folders)
If you created cards, you should also see
Yourteam (folder)

In the meantime, try uninstalling and removing the program. Then, re-install but don't install to the Program Files directory, just install to the C:\ drive and see if that changes anything.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by joe_44850; 05-19-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

I see those first three, but no teams.

I tried the uninstall/ reinstall to C: but now I am gettting Errors. Will try again later (downloaded latest update after install).
Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Hmm, I still can't duplicate the error on my side. Would there be any way you'd (anyone who is having this problem) be willing to call me on my cell? It might help if I can kind of "see" what you are seeing, because as of now I don't know what to trouble-shoot.
I can PM you my number.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #13
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Hey Joe. Did the uninstall/ reinstall to C: again and it is working now.

Thank you sir. Looks great.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 PM   #14
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Really? Very cool! I'm going to have to figure out why it doesn't work in Program Files. For now, I'll make it so the default directory is just C:\ instead of C:\Program Files

Last edited by joe_44850; 05-19-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #15
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

That worked for me as well. Very cool.
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #16
McLite
Minors (Single A)

Works very well. One problem with me though is I get the same 1981 Tops back every time...even when I load a new back image.

Example...I load the Modern template and change the back to 1891 back (easier to read)...but it's still 1981.
McLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 AM   #17
McLite
Minors (Single A)

Disregard.

I wasn't hitting the save button! I'm loving this app...great job. One possible bug...DH won't show up in the position box for the front of my cards.

Also will there be a way to save the files in a picture format so they can be used online? I see the photos/templates/scripts from the HTML file are tied into sub folders.

Finally is there a way to change the front template? My example would be deleting the Ootp on the '83 card and putting in my leagues initials in the upper right. I tried to edit and save the .png file when I did that but then it wouldn't show the photos on the cards for some reason.

I probably spent 3 hours with this program tonight...great stuff.

Last edited by McLite; 05-20-2010 at 07:50 AM.
McLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #18
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

Matt, great feedback, I'll try to answer each of your questions one at a time.

One possible bug...DH won't show up in the position box for the front of my cards. - Good point. When I designed this program, I completely forgot about DH, as I never play using it. I'll add it with a patch.

Also will there be a way to save the files in a picture format so they can be used online? I see the photos/templates/scripts from the HTML file are tied into sub folders. I have tried this a few ways, but each method has proven to be pretty slow (like 5 seconds per card). I'll have a solution for this, but I can't promise it will be the fastest part of the program. It will also be in a forthcoming patch.

Finally is there a way to change the front template? My example would be deleting the Ootp on the '83 card and putting in my leagues initials in the upper right. I tried to edit and save the .png file when I did that but then it wouldn't show the photos on the cards for some reason.
The OOTP thing was my replacement for the original "Topps" logo. I just cut it out of the png image, so the transparency shows your team's background color. What editor are you using to modify the png file? Some image editors won't preserve the transparency, I think that's probably what is happening, which is why you aren't seeing the player image after using the modified png.
Patch: a place to add league info, possibly.

I probably spent 3 hours with this program tonight...great stuff. I have had a blast with it myself. My league started in 1887, some of my favorite templates are the old tobacco style ones.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

When I have the only starter box checked I get two cards, pitchers, but if it is unchecked I get more cards.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #20
joe_44850
Minors (Single A)

The Starter box might be a misnomer. It is intended to limit the cards to pitchers with 50+ innings (of the year selected) and batters with at least 200 at bats.