Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #21
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
According to the Universe screen 4 Bronze teams should move up to silver. I was moved up to Silver last week after being one of the final 4 teams.
That's different than last week. It was 2 Up for Bronze and I think even Silver.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:35 PM   #22
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedavebrown View Post

1) Sort some teams from the entry pool into higher leagues based on average overall ratings on their roster

2) Promote more teams out of bronze so that you dont consistently get screwed by entry pool whales
Both of these suggestions are really good. And, as if on cue, this season (year 2028), 4 teams are being promoted out of Bronze, Silver, and Gold:

Four could be the right number. There's this tension of giving people the opportunity to have the excitement of making it to the League Championship with keeping the regular season competitive and/or interesting. I remember when my flagship team got promoted out of Bronze even though we didn't make the WS and I thought feeling only a bit disappointed thinking "Well, there goes our best opportunity to win a WS." (Which was entirely wrong thinking, BTW, as we won at all in Gold.)

I like the "average overall ratings" idea. I I vaguely remember my first team coming out of Entry Pool, checking everybody's rosters, and was surprised to see that each side of the league seemed equitable. That is, one side had teams with a few Diamonds while the other side maybe had one Diamond throughout. Despite knowing that the OVR isn't the end all, the OVR still provides a quick and easy evaluation. I still do the "diamond and gold count" for my division. In one of my Bronze league divisions, there's only 3 Diamonds and 8 Golds. I have 2 of those Diamonds ... though I'd just as easily run out Mel Ott (Gold) over Aaron Judge (Diamond) but I'm compelled to play Judge if only because he's one of two Diamonds I've ever pulled out of pack.

But as I was writing this, I seem to remember - seasons ago - that there was an Achievement for betting a significantly higher-rated team. You got PP for that. OOTP kept/keeps track of that somehow.

Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #23
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

I would like to see maybe 6 or 8 demoted at seasons end. I was a middle of the road content gold team, that was put in one of those overflow leagues, and caught some luck as the wild card. So I was promoted to diamond, where I'm not competive at all but not quite bad enough unless I sabotage my team, which I refuse to do. Bottom feeders that just escape relegation each year make it hard to earn pp. I'm not irate or anything, it just isn't as fun.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812

Last edited by Hrycaj; 02-04-2019 at 12:48 PM.
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #24
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

I'm in favor of more (6-8) promoted/demoted teams, as well.

One thing about promotion/relegation in the real world is that there is a massive financial advantage for teams in the top level, and a massive financial penalty for dropping out of it, and there are usually obvious disparities between newly promoted/relegated teams and their opponents, so there are reasons to limit pro/rel to the few teams that clearly deserve it.

In OOTP, there are no such structural disparities between levels, so there are no real costs to switching levels too fast. If anything, I get the sense that players in 70-win purgatory at a higher level would often rather drop down to earn more PP and improve their team, and everyone (the manager and their opponents) would often rather see an obviously superior team get promoted, even if they lose a 5-game playoff series.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #25
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
For anyone that starts now and does not get mass promoted (like many of us got promoted during the initial start of PT).....enjoy the lower league competition while you can. You may not get promoted but you get to enjoy winning seasons and good competition.

Many of the teams at the top level learn quickly that it is hard to compete against teams that spend a lot of PPs and have amazing rosters.

It becomes very difficult to make the playoffs and many teams hang in the balance.
Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get related to a lower level. So as a result, they start to cheat and replace players with black and bronze cards. As a result, they risk getting banned, upset other teams, ...

I have two teams that are also stuck in the middle levels and I personally enjoy them more than the team that moved all the way to Perfect but is stuck while waiting for additional PP investments.

I suggest that you look for other teams in your league and build out your own competitions. I miss these early days when I was able to play a much larger set of players that just won't cut it anymore at the top level.
Agreed. The teams I enjoy the most are the ones that spent multiple seasons in levels as they work their way up at a leisurely pace.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:21 PM   #26
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post
Both of these suggestions are really good. And, as if on cue, this season (year 2028), 4 teams are being promoted out of Bronze, Silver, and Gold:

Four could be the right number. There's this tension of giving people the opportunity to have the excitement of making it to the League Championship with keeping the regular season competitive and/or interesting. I remember when my flagship team got promoted out of Bronze even though we didn't make the WS and I thought feeling only a bit disappointed thinking "Well, there goes our best opportunity to win a WS." (Which was entirely wrong thinking, BTW, as we won at all in Gold.)

I like the "average overall ratings" idea. I I vaguely remember my first team coming out of Entry Pool, checking everybody's rosters, and was surprised to see that each side of the league seemed equitable. That is, one side had teams with a few Diamonds while the other side maybe had one Diamond throughout. Despite knowing that the OVR isn't the end all, the OVR still provides a quick and easy evaluation. I still do the "diamond and gold count" for my division. In one of my Bronze league divisions, there's only 3 Diamonds and 8 Golds. I have 2 of those Diamonds ... though I'd just as easily run out Mel Ott (Gold) over Aaron Judge (Diamond) but I'm compelled to play Judge if only because he's one of two Diamonds I've ever pulled out of pack.

But as I was writing this, I seem to remember - seasons ago - that there was an Achievement for betting a significantly higher-rated team. You got PP for that. OOTP kept/keeps track of that somehow.

Since it's been established that OVR does not make for a good judge of talent, I don't see how average OVR would be good to use for promotion. Maybe it should be something else such as current record, or maybe even career record at a specific level or career record at all levels.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #27
Janks
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post

You get PP for beating a team with a much higher win-loss percentage, not ratings.
Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 PM   #28
Threnodas
Minors (Triple A)

Edit: I misread <Pion>'s comment and thought it was responding to the upset part of Renfro's comment. Janks beat me to this above, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
Since it's been established that OVR does not make for a good judge of talent, I don't see how average OVR would be good to use for promotion. Maybe it should be something else such as current record, or maybe even career record at a specific level or career record at all levels.
Good news - the upset achievement is based on record, not rosters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
I have added four new achievements (they will become available with the next update later this week):
Snapping a losing streak (bronze = 5, silver = 12, gold = 20 consecutive games lost)
Upset Win (beating a team by at least 10 runs which has a winning pct >.550 while you are <.450, at least 30 games into the season).

OK, but this will be the only rewards for being a loser, I swear!

Last edited by Threnodas; 02-04-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Threnodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #29
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I think 4 teams getting promoted for most leagues is a good solid amount. Basically if you are making the playoffs consistently then it won't take long to get promoted. Seems about right.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #30
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Upset Win

Wow ... the parameters for that Upset Win are nuts. You're probably also going to get Slugfest, Contact Inning, Team Effort, All Hits, too.
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #31
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threnodas View Post
Edit: I misread <Pion>'s comment and thought it was responding to the upset part of Renfro's comment. Janks beat me to this above, anyway.

Good news - the upset achievement is based on record, not rosters:
Maybe I misread the post I was quoting, but I thought people were suggesting alternate methods for being promoted to a higher league. I don't think average OVR would be good for that since it doesn't reflect a team's true strength. But maybe nobody was suggesting that and I had misunderstood.

Edit - Looking back at FreeDaveBrown's post, it mentions promoting based on "average overall ratings". If it is individual ratings such as Contact/Power/etc., I wouldn't have a problem if done well. But not OVR.

Last edited by <Pion>; 02-04-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #32
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

As promotion is currently set up, it places an inordinately huge emphasis on getting hot or lucky once you've made the playoffs (which could also be luck based, if you're in a weak division, for example). One way to possibly lessen this is to base promotion not on playoff advancement but on overall season score, which, as I understand it, should account for both regular and post season performance.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:14 AM   #33
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
As promotion is currently set up, it places an inordinately huge emphasis on getting hot or lucky once you've made the playoffs (which could also be luck based, if you're in a weak division, for example). One way to possibly lessen this is to base promotion not on playoff advancement but on overall season score, which, as I understand it, should account for both regular and post season performance.

Personally, I would prefer a combination of both.
Finalists are always getting promoted.
Best two overall season scores are also guaranteed promotion.
This may reduce some of the frustrations that good teams have when they lose in the playoffs.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:23 AM   #34
uschi_baerchen
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDec89 View Post
This is my first season in bronze. I made it to the world series with this squad.
In Perfect you will have Corbin as your Long reliever, Dierker is borderline, also suzuki, if your ballpark is designed as pitcher heaven, the rest is (sorry) cr... er better suited for bronze or silver, maybe.
uschi_baerchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 07:32 PM   #35
daveh2018
Minors (Double A)

Couldn’t the seeding into leagues for Bronze and other levels take into account how many years your team has been in that level? This way, the newbie Bronze teams have the same shot at promotion as those on the graduate program plan for promotion.
daveh2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:57 PM   #36
PyreDruid
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Oh for sure, I've made the playoffs with a team that barely made it above .500, even now a couple of lucky games and I'm moving up only to get destroyed.

Where other times I've absolutely run away with the division and can't move up because I lost the first series.

Honestly, I'd rather see a system based more on the long term quality of the team though. Jumping up and down on the back of a lucky or unlucky season, or not being able to move up because whales are coming through is a bit frustrating.
PyreDruid is offline   Reply With Quote