Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

Managing games

How many games you guys actually “manage” I don’t do a lot because Of the time it takes but found myself a few years in (managing 0 games)starting to manage wild card play in games and game 7s of a playoff series if it makes it to that but considering starting to do all playoff games because I do enjoy making all the in game decisions. Just wondering for everybody else what do you all do. Maybe manage your aces starts? Or favorite players milestone games Etc.
Obechkinsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obechkinsbuddy View Post
How many games you guys actually “manage” I don’t do a lot because Of the time it takes but found myself a few years in (managing 0 games)starting to manage wild card play in games and game 7s of a playoff series if it makes it to that but considering starting to do all playoff games because I do enjoy making all the in game decisions. Just wondering for everybody else what do you all do. Maybe manage your aces starts? Or favorite players milestone games Etc.
Every game
I always use piggyback starters and the AI can't handle that

I really like managing in September with expanded rosters. Nobody gets called up to sit on the bench
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Every game
I always use piggyback starters and the AI can't handle that

I really like managing in September with expanded rosters. Nobody gets called up to sit on the bench
Wow! Maybe I’m inpatient to see how careers and years play out I take my time with rosters etc but do sim 10-20 at a time that’s a lot of time and slow progress because it takes so long to play a year but impressive I wasn’t expecting that response. Maybe it’s more common than I’d think.
Obechkinsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:55 PM   #4
The Game
Hall Of Famer

in 2 of my leagues i manage the 1st game of each series and sim the rest. In my main league i manage out almost every game unless i suck really bad then I will sim for a bit. I play one pitch mode.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
lukestephens2293
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obechkinsbuddy View Post
I play them all i like my Statistics so I quite enjoy managing game by game inning by inning and tracking the tons of stats the game has available
lukestephens2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #6
Shucker
Minors (Double A)

Every season. Every game. Every inning. Every at bat, in 1 pitch mode.

I am a patient man. I play one season day to day with the current calendar, one game per day, by the day of the week. For instance, Tonight I will play the Friday game of the last series of the season. I am in 2nd, playing the division leader down by 2 games. Could still win the division. Won't know until over the weekend. Up by 2 games in the wildcard, so playoffs look good.

I play another season over the off season. Much less structured in the single game per day on the day of the week.

So I get 2 seasons per version of OOTP. I know that has to seem like sacrilege to the simmers out there, but everybody gets to play it their way!

Been with OOTP since version 3. Current league began in 2009.
Shucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #7
lukestephens2293
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shucker View Post
Every season. Every game. Every inning. Every at bat, in 1 pitch mode.

I am a patient man. I play one season day to day with the current calendar, one game per day, by the day of the week. For instance, Tonight I will play the Friday game of the last series of the season. I am in 2nd, playing the division leader down by 2 games. Could still win the division. Won't know until over the weekend. Up by 2 games in the wildcard, so playoffs look good.

I play another season over the off season. Much less structured in the single game per day on the day of the week.

So I get 2 seasons per version of OOTP. I know that has to seem like sacrilege to the simmers out there, but everybody gets to play it their way!

Been with OOTP since version 3. Current league began in 2009.
I'd play one day and then get a really big urge to continue playing I couldnt do that lol
lukestephens2293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Like Shucker I play every season, every game (that my team is involved in, though not always every pre-season exhibition game), every inning, every at-bat, in 1 pitch mode. And I play out All-Star games and all post-season games (even when my team isn't involved), though in my league that only involves a World Series, no playoffs.

Unlike Shucker I do not play games to correspond to the calendar in-season (IRL) but move ahead at my own pace. And I probably spend way more time playing OOTP then might be healthy (but single and childless and with few obligations, so it works for me.)
It looks like I am probably averaging about 5-7 seasons per OOTP version.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #9
rink23
Hall Of Famer

I also am one of those who manages/plays every game of my team's games, outside of exhibition.
When at the plate, I go by one pitch until I feel the situation favors my hitter or he has no choice but to swing.
When on the field, 99 percent of the time I go with one pitch, unless I feel the situation dictates something else.
I probably play every day at least a series but sometimes more.
If I have a team that is on a roll, I'll keep on playing until it cools off.
I think the most games I have played in one day is around 10.
I usually pop in a game or two early in the day when I can sit down for a half hour or so -- the benefits of working when you feel like it - and then play a string of games at night.
Games probably take 30-35 minutes and the write up on my franchise thread another five or so.
I started my St. Louis River Walkers franchise on OOTP19 back on Nov. 18, 2018 with the 2018 season.
The Midwest Baseball League consists of 24 teams -- two leagues featuring two divisions of six.
It features teams built through a draft of the major league and minor league players in OOTP19.
There is no designated hitter and no wild cards.
The franchise graduated to OOTPXX for the 2022 season.
It is now May 3, 2024. The Walkers sit at 14-15 and are tied for third place.
During its history, the Walkers won the championship in 2018, won the division but lost in the championship series in 2019 and since than finished in third place for three consecutive seasons.

Last edited by rink23; 09-28-2019 at 02:39 PM.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #10
greendiver
Major Leagues

I like to play using "Sim until runner in scoring position." Once a runner is scoring position, I go to the game log and catch up with what happened and then play out the remainder of the inning using one pitch or itch by pitch from that point. If the game is close, I'll play with one pitch starting in the 7th or 8th inning, switching to pitch by pitch for key at bats. Extra innings I switch back to RISP. Games take about 10 minutes this way. I'll play out at least one game of each series, sometimes two or three if its a big series or if the pitching matchup is particularly good.
greendiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:45 PM   #11
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

I sim until the bottom of the 7th, and then finish off in one pitch mode unless the game is so out of hand that a comeback seems highly unlikely. In that case I use the ‘sim entire game’ function and move on to the next game.

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:54 AM   #12
itsmb8
All Star Starter

I will be playing out every pitch of every game like Shucker. I say "will be" because Im going to sim the first season and start in the offseason before 2020 with Dr Park's full universe, and im still in the process of setting up each MLB teams' Nike uniforms lmao.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 01:34 PM   #13
smiller
Major Leagues

Here's a good reason for playing out games. I've been playing OOTP for about seven years, mostly playing out games, with a small amount of simming. My current season in my fictional league is my 13th and I decided to play out every one of my team's games. And I'm glad I did for in the last two weeks I had my first-ever perfect game, albeit one pitched by three pitchers against my team, and then, just today, one of my team's pitchers threw a no hitter -- the first ever by I team I was GM and manager of. That has made me more determined to stick with playing out all my team's games.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #14
DaBears
Major Leagues

I also play out every game using one-pitch on offense and defense, unless the situation is one where I feel I can impact the game as manager (runner with speed on, so may hit/run or steal base; other team has a speedster on 1B and may steal; etc.).

Playing out games as manager gives you a depth in the game that you won't get simming. That said, OOTP gives you a lot of ways to get immersion - it just depends on what you want to be immersed in. The people that seem to be into playing out games typically like to know the major league players really, really well, don't have a ton of interest in the minor league system, and are more into the strategy of in-game moves than that of building a team. That's a generalization, but seems somewhat on.

Players that are into the entire organization, trades, etc. typically seem to like simming or only playing out certain games. I get that, because while I would love to take over something like the Tigers and try to build them into a winner, it would be a form of masochism to manage every game for them between here and even a slight chance of competing.

As others have said, it takes anywhere from 20-35 minutes to play out most games. I used to actually keep score, but that puts you more at 45-50 minutes per game and does make the season drag a bit. I play one game per day (most days) Monday to Friday but usually knock out a couple per day over the weekend. I will occasionally do three on a weekend day if I'm really into it. I do keep a spreadsheet that I fill in after each game or the next day at lunch, which allows the depth I want of understanding not only my players but the team overall. I find that OOTP does a great job of stats on players, but do not like how it handles team stats as well. Thus, I keep my own format. Works for me.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:38 PM   #15
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

I play-out all of my games as well, per At-Bat; so, a lot of space bar hitting.

I think the games average around 15 minutes in that mode (per at-bat), depending on the game of course. I play a modern MLB Start, no-stars, 20 to 80 scale, with the trade AI difficulty on hard, favor prospects, with the rest of the settings the same as they are "out-of-the box" for the most part; so when playing a rebuilding team, it can be frustrating to experience. However, as others have said, for me, I become immersed in the team and the world as a result, and feel like I get to know the players fairly well.

I have been playing-out my games ever since I started playing OOTP, and I like the direction the 3D has taken. At this point however, I would like to see some more improvement in the Stadiums and player models in OOTP 21, aside from cleaning-up some of the funky plays here or there.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:04 PM   #16
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

For me, the delight is in the detail. I play / manage every game, every innings, every out, in pitch by pitch mode. I never play more than one game per day. After my team's game is completed I spend some time checking out the day's other games, and looking over my minor league teams' progress. So that's around 2 hours a day dedicated to OOTP on most days of the week. I'm lucky to have the time to do it. The more familiar I get with all the players, the more real it seems to get. Such a great sim.
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:09 AM   #17
phenom
Hall Of Famer

I usually have one league where I manage every game and one or two leagues where I GM only.

My current manage league is a 1907 Historical where I manage the Tigers.

I also use Cannot be Fired in the manage league because of the time investment.

phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 AM   #18
Dorfmann
Minors (Double A)

I manage every game (except spring training) in one-pitch mode. I'll occasionally switch to pitch-by-pitch if the situation calls for more strategy. I'm currently in year 8 of my save, which started on OotP18.
Dorfmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #19
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

I have always managed every game my teams have played over the years, including spring training games. i also mange all my player movement down to the DSL. I am kind of a control freak.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #20
middleson
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I too prefer to manage all of my games, every inning in one pitch mode. Leads to me perpetually angry during a close game in which I am trailing. I started in season 1951 and I am currently playing in season 2008. Makes looking at the history, record holders, Hall of Fame, etc, very rewarding.
middleson is offline   Reply With Quote