Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:41 AM   #1
cbbl
All Star Starter

Why is this player not eligible to be signed?

Help me out here...

A player was drafted in my league's amateur draft, but released prior to the season start by the drafting team. I'm in need of another minor leaguer and interested in signing him to a minor-league contract, but the option is not available. I can't figure out what about this player makes him unavailable.

I noticed this seems to be the case for any player either not drafted in the current season's amateur draft or signed and released by a team.

I have a simple league...no secondary rosters, therefore no waivers. Reserve clause era rules in effect and thus no free agency. Minor league options years are off.

Obviously there must be some rule related to when first-year players can be signed, but I can't find where to toggle it.

Per the OOTP manual, 2 of the types of players who are free agents are:

2. Any player who has been released from his contract by his team.
3. Any players who are not currently under contract, such as players from an amateur draft who were not drafted.

So...why can't I sign them?

Thanks,
cbbl
Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 AM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

I’m just spitballing here, but perhaps they never signed him, but they still have the exclusive rights?? Or could be a bug of some kind.

I’d likely go into commish mode and poke around his record to see what I could find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

If he wasn't drafted or failed to sign and is under 25 I believe he goes back into the draft for the next year. This comes up in my online league, we end up with a large draft pool mostly comprised of players who were not drafted or did not sign. Some will go back to college (if you are using feeders) and some will just sit and wait. I asked OOTPD about this a few years ago and was told until the player turns 25 he will just keep going back to the draft.

IRL a player that is drafted and does not sign can go back to college if he still has college eligibility left and he reenters the draft the following year. I don't believe he has the option to become a FA until certain circumstance are met (not sure of those) else a player could just not sign then go where ever he wants to (pro wise). If he could do that then the draft would quickly become meaningless because players could just refuse to sign so that they could sign with the team of their choice.

Edit: Now if the player you are talking about had actually signed a minor league contract and was then released I believe he should be a FA and available to sign.

Last edited by byzeil; 07-21-2019 at 12:39 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #4
cbbl
All Star Starter

OK, so this seems like it *might* be a bug then. With reserve era rules on, there is no contract negotiation; the player is paid whatever the team sets and that's that.

The age 25 thing could be it ... but maybe just the first year? I have plenty of players undrafted from last year's amateur draft that never went drafted and are now free agents. And of course, the fact that he was signed and released is what really confuses me.

Perhaps I should move this thread to the bug reports forum?

BTW, I play in Commissioner mode, but I can find nothing in the player's record that tips me off, except that he was in this year's draft.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:06 PM   #5
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

I agree you probably want to move this to the Bug thread. I have zero experience working with the reserve era rules in game so not sure how the game would handle undrafted/unsigned/unreleased players.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote