Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #21
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
I don't think most people have an issue with how it looks, but rather the fact it's harder on the eyes for many.
To be honest, for me it's much harder with dark screen and white text. I'm sure that I'm not alone since usually people writes on forums etc only when they complain about something
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:13 AM   #22
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by omjo View Post
I don't think most people have an issue with how it looks, but rather the fact it's harder on the eyes for many.
I looked many, many (many) hours on the screen now for many months and donīt have a problem at all. I guess the brightness of my monitor by default is lower (never changed the settings).
Old 10-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #23
Robmeister89
Minors (Double A)

I like the UI personally.. yes the white is hard on the eyes at first but if you lower your brightness while playing (most keyboard come with this functionality now or you can simply click the button on your monitor) you can simply raise the brightness when you're done playing. Its really not that hard to do. At least at that point it becomes a much softer white.
Robmeister89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #24
Templer
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
White or black - whatever.
A choice here would be attentive customer service.
Templer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #25
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
I looked many, many (many) hours on the screen now for many months and donīt have a problem at all. I guess the brightness of my monitor by default is lower (never changed the settings).
Everyone's eyes are different - I've been looking at OOTP screens for over 20 years and haven't been able to use the white background in a long time (years) - it's too bright and hard on my eyes, same as FHM.

As I said, everyone's eyes are different - but for me, this is one of the difference makers in deciding to purchase.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 10-05-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:31 PM   #26
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Everyone's eyes are different - I've been looking at OOTP screens for over 20 years and haven't been able to use the white background in a long time (years) - it's too bright and hard on my eyes, same as FHM.

As I said, everyone's eyes are different - but for me, this is one of the difference makers in deciding to purchase.
I agree, everyone has his preference and his own taste (all my tools, browser, visual studio, office is bright background with black text and I would not be able to use it different). In a perfect world Daniel would have the time to do two skins for FHM but that is just not possible at the moment. I will talk with him and Markus if something is possible to "improve" the situation but right now I just donīt think he has the time.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:50 PM   #27
Aube
Minors (Single A)

I certainly have to echo the 'too bright' comments. The UI is nice, but the background really does cause instant strain. It's odd, even this forum is mostly white but doesn't cause the same sort of effect. If it will be a while if a new skin shows up if at all, is there some way to manually mod in a different background? If so I absolutely don't mind taking the time to make things even a light grey that wouldn't make the black text any harder to read.
Aube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #28
Kinsella19
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I agree, everyone has his preference and his own taste (all my tools, browser, visual studio, office is bright background with black text and I would not be able to use it different). In a perfect world Daniel would have the time to do two skins for FHM but that is just not possible at the moment. I will talk with him and Markus if something is possible to "improve" the situation but right now I just donīt think he has the time.
I am a little confused by this statement. Shouldn't something like making the background darker take no more than 10-15 minutes....? How does someone not have the time to do so?
Kinsella19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #29
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella19 View Post
I am a little confused by this statement. Shouldn't something like making the background darker take no more than 10-15 minutes....? How does someone not have the time to do so?
It's a lot more complicated than that they will tell you which is fair enough but i'm not sure why they decided to change up what they had last year which had to be easier on the eyes of most people.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 01:30 PM   #30
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella19 View Post
Not wanting to sound like a dick, but you think that if it took 10 minutes the devs wouldn't have done it?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:54 PM   #31
Smetana
All Star Starter

Creating a skin is more than just dropping a new background in. Everything has to be balanced for proper appearance, including changing all font and prints to a light tone, etc etc. Not a "10-minute" job.

It's a valid concern, no doubt. And i'm sure now that Sebastian sees the concern, it'll be addressed in due time.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:18 PM   #32
Chomps
Major Leagues

Windows has added options for night lighting, and File Explorer dark theme. So has YouTube, so has OOTP 19. This is for a reason....white backgrounds on the computer screen cause eye strain, and screw up sleep patterns.

There is extensive data available documenting these issues.

So please, add a Dark Theme as soon as possible.
Chomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #33
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
Windows has added options for night lighting, and File Explorer dark theme. So has YouTube, so has OOTP 19. This is for a reason....white backgrounds on the computer screen cause eye strain, and screw up sleep patterns.

There is extensive data available documenting these issues.

So please, add a Dark Theme as soon as possible.
While i agree with you i'd much rather them nail the game down then focus on that. So what if we all go blind, at least we'll go blind playing a great game and isn't that what it's all about?
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:41 PM   #34
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomps View Post
white backgrounds on the computer screen cause eye strain, and screw up sleep patterns.
The humanity's gonna extinguish itself 'cuz of the new FHM5 UI.
Jokes a part, I think that Sebastian and I sleep fine, so it's not like it's the end of the world.
I'm sure a solution will be found.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #35
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

I would just like to add, it's only at night when using artificial light that white backgrounds bother me. During the day with natural light it never seems to be a problem. I'm sure there's a scientific explanation for it, and I'm sure aging has an effect too. I get headaches from a bright background at night though, and like a lot of people I play mostly in the evening.

Good to hear that the Dev's are making an effort to address the situation.

Thanks for listening.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #36
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

As a start you could edit the default.qss file yourself:

go into your skins/default folder and open the default.qss with a text editor (easiest to find the folder is to go Startscreen -> Settings -> Troubleshooting -> "Open customizable data folder")

Then search and replace:

background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 230);

with e.g.

background-color: rgba(210, 210, 210, 230);

This will replace most white backgrounds with a darker color. You can experiment with the first three values to find a better fitting color for you (the last value, 230, is the alpha channel and determines the transparency).

There are still some places (e.g. one row of the standings screen) that has white but it might be a start.

When you have changed the default.qss file, you need to restart FHM!
Old 10-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #37
skunt3m
Minors (Single A)

I'm really enjoying the new UI. It's much more intuitive - a massive step forward imo.
skunt3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #38
Aube
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
As a start you could edit the default.qss file yourself:

go into your skins/default folder and open the default.qss with a text editor (easiest to find the folder is to go Startscreen -> Settings -> Troubleshooting -> "Open customizable data folder")

Then search and replace:

background-color: rgba(255, 255, 255, 230);

with e.g.

background-color: rgba(210, 210, 210, 230);

This will replace most white backgrounds with a darker color. You can experiment with the first three values to find a better fitting color for you (the last value, 230, is the alpha channel and determines the transparency).

There are still some places (e.g. one row of the standings screen) that has white but it might be a start.

When you have changed the default.qss file, you need to restart FHM!

Thanks a bunch for the info, using 200 instead of 210 makes it absolutely perfect for me! I've already sunk far too many hours into this game today, and this certainly won't help me put it down...

Sidenote, I didn't find the .qss in the customizable data folder but in the game's steam install folder, just as a head's up.

Last edited by Aube; 10-05-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Aube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #39
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aube View Post
Thanks a bunch for the info, using 200 instead of 210 makes it absolutely perfect for me! I've already sunk far too many hours into this game today, and this certainly won't help me put it down...

Sidenote, I didn't find the .qss in the customizable data folder but in the game's steam install folder, just as a head's up.
Thanks.

You are right, the location depends on the version you use (but the instructions are the same for all of them).
Old 10-05-2018, 10:45 PM   #40
doublezero
Bat Boy

Wow the text is so small that it's really hard on my eyes. It's so small dude. And you've got all that white space to work with. It really surprises me why there's so much white space when you could have made the text twice or three times as big.
doublezero is offline   Reply With Quote