Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Online Leagues

OOTP 14 - Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 14 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
hendersondayton
Minors (Single A)

Running a League without website

If all OOTP requires is the import/export of league files...wouldn't it be possible to run a league without needing a website?

All you would do is pass the files around to each other correct? You would need OOTP to view stats and standings obviously.

I would think you would still need a way to transfer several MB in files which is where the server comes in but if you have the ability to host files somewhere on the web (say Dropbox?) that would suffice.
hendersondayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

yes, as long as everyone can get the league files and knows what to do with them any file hosting site will do. The exports needed to update teams for every simulation period are small enough they could be exchanged via e-mail but the league files themselves would need to be uploaded to a server of some sort as they can get pretty big.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
hendersondayton
Minors (Single A)

would i use an IN-Game method to export all the league files initially or would I just zip the entire saved_game folder and host that somewhere for download?
Old 05-24-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Dbobola22
Minors (Triple A)

I would think for the amount of work involved for you (there is already enough being a commissioner) and the NEED to make it easy for the members (nothing worse than having a bad team and can't get file working right), I'd say its REALLY worth spending the $10 a month at Allsimbaseball and use the site.

You can bring so many more features in as well. League Reports, StatsLab, etc. I know so many of the guys in my league use the reports as much as the game to talk trades, review their teams, write articles. I think participation would be down more than half without them.

If you do a good enough job as commissioner, you'll have teams willing to pay for a month here and there as well. My league is going on over 3 real year (15 league seasons) and teams have donated money for costs or paid for a month or more at a time because the respect the dedication I put into the league.

Key to keeping good GMs "KEEP IT SIMPLE"

Last edited by Dbobola22; 05-24-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Dbobola22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #5
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

from the commish panel there is a way to tell the game to export the league files to a local drive (On your computer)

I believe the path is:

C:\Users\youruser\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 14\saved_games\yourleague.lg\import_export

Inside there will be a zip file that everyone needs to extract into their save game folder

You need to export your lrague files and post that file for downloading after every sim...like I said teams will need to export their changes and those files are small enough to send via e-mail
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

YTP.....No Website

The YTP OOTP14 league does not have a webpage, but uses the forum to conduct business. All needed files are accessed through the server.

I do however want a webpage and it is a work in progress.

We also utilize Getch's OOTPOU utilities.
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbobola22 View Post
I would think for the amount of work involved for you (there is already enough being a commissioner) and the NEED to make it easy for the members (nothing worse than having a bad team and can't get file working right), I'd say its REALLY worth spending the $10 a month at Allsimbaseball and use the site.

You can bring so many more features in as well. League Reports, StatsLab, etc. I know so many of the guys in my league use the reports as much as the game to talk trades, review their teams, write articles. I think participation would be down more than half without them.

If you do a good enough job as commissioner, you'll have teams willing to pay for a month here and there as well. My league is going on over 3 real year (15 league seasons) and teams have donated money for costs or paid for a month or more at a time because the respect the dedication I put into the league.

Key to keeping good GMs "KEEP IT SIMPLE"

Yes AllSimBabeball is AWESOME I use them for 3 leagues and it cost me $60 for 6 1/2 months of hosting you get it all including a League Forum...well worth the money spent. They have a basic package for like $7 a month, very afordable
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Old 05-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
hendersondayton
Minors (Single A)

If the league was bigger, or even had the potential to grow, I would consider something better, but It is just 2 of us running teams as human mangers against a league of CPU managed teams...cheap is the way to go here.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
hendersondayton
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
from the commish panel there is a way to tell the game to export the league files to a local drive (On your computer)
by "commish panel" do you mean the league setup screen? or are you talking about the "online options" tab?
Old 05-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #10
Dbobola22
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersondayton View Post
If the league was bigger, or even had the potential to grow, I would consider something better, but It is just 2 of us running teams as human mangers against a league of CPU managed teams...cheap is the way to go here.
Make a deal with your buddy, $3.50 a month each, just 12 cents a day and you guys can rock n' roll and really intensify the battles.
Dbobola22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersondayton View Post
by "commish panel" do you mean the league setup screen? or are you talking about the "online options" tab?
Your going to have to set up the online options in that tab, then you will have a "comish panel" and also it opens up the "Export function" which you have to have to get your buddies changes and import them AND to export your league files

And being hosted online isn't about the size of the league. 2 of the 3 leagues I have hosted by AllSim Baseball are my single player dynasty leagues, the other is a 8 team league with only 6 Human owners. It allows you to access the reports online from any computer...so you could be at a family diner and check out your team and stats when you get boared with your family...or could show other friends your league. It's very cool! I don't even utilize the forums I have access to just cause I don't need to.
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 05-24-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
hendersondayton
Minors (Single A)

I will keep AllSimBaseball on my list of "need to look into"...Thanks!