Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
khy102
Minors (Rookie Ball)

2 Questions - New to OOTP

I've played Baseball Mogul for years now. Figured I'd give OOTP a shot and even though I haven't actually played any games yet. I'm just getting familiar with some screens and have a few questions.

1) How exactly do you get the players photos in the game. I downloaded the file from Padresfan and have no clue how to get them in the game.

2) I noticed you can pick a minor league team to start with. Can you eventually get promoted through the ranks if your teams perform well?

I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on, but those are the 2 I have so far.
khy102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

There are two types of MLB player pictures: facegen pics and real photos. I assume you downloaded the real photos from Padresfan. Those go in the My Documents\OOTP 12\news\html\images folder (hopefully I didn't miss folder there).

If you prefer the facegen pics (i.e. fictional pics made to look like the players), this can be downloaded and installed in-game using the All-in-One mod from the Download Center. These have the advantage that the uniforms will change with the players.

Yes, you can start managing a minor league team and get offered better jobs based on your performance. I wouldn't start too low as managing in the low minors can be frustrating as the rosters change a lot. I'd suggest AA or AAA.

Enjoy!
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
khy102
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thanks! I've been looking under the wrong folder this whole time. I was wondering where everything else was.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Bottom Of The Sixth
All Star Starter

Be careful about starting out in the minors.

When I 1st bought OOTP9 I created a league and started managing in the minors. My plan was to start low and get promoted and hopefully make it to the majors. The idea was good however, it turned into a real nightmare.

It was not uncommon during the season for me to loose 3-5 players every few days. And then ever few days I would get 3-4 new players, who were either demoted from a higher league, were acquired through trades, free agency, etc. What was even worse was when "upper management" decided to let go of my "core" players. These were the core guys who were giving me any slim chance I had to win. After I started loosing my core guys I gave up on the league and I have never tried to start out in the minors since then.

I'm not sure if this head ache got better with newer game versions or it is still a mess.

Good Luck!
Bottom Of The Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
khy102
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The minors thing is cool. Not sure if I'm going to do that as of yet, maybe after I get a lot of this figured out.

As for the pictures go, I'm usually not like this, but confused.
I put a picture in the file listed above. And it never showed up. Do I need to do to Update/Generate player photos under the settings?

I'm also just trying to do it global setting. So they will be ready to go whenever I start a new game. Is that what the Global Settings are for? Because I'm trying to follow those steps as well and no luck.

Sorry and thanks for the help!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Player photos should be installed in this folder: ...\Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 12\photos
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Thelkin
Minors (Single A)

Starting in the minors is definitely frustrating. But you do get promoted. Started a career type game where I started unemployed, managed a Rookie team for Pittsburgh, got fired after 2 lacklustre seasons.
Hired by the Astros and did 2 rough seasons for them, then they promoted me up to their Short A team. Really crap season there, but hey must have sensed promise and now on their Low A team.

Having the rosters changes every day or so is frustrating, but I am being left with a reasonable core at times. With some luck and more good play we should challenge for a wild card...

But whilst it is frustraing, I am enjoying watching some of the players come up, fail, and go well. One player who was indispensable in the Valley Cats get promoted to Legends with me and decided to tank. After 20 games I think he was .150/.175 for avg/obp... Benched him for a while and then had to use him again due to injuries etc. Now .275/.400 (not exact but you get idea) and again my lead off.

Owned the game for a month and cannot go a morning without 3-6 simmed games before work
Thelkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #8
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
There are two types of MLB player pictures: facegen pics and real photos. I assume you downloaded the real photos from Padresfan. Those go in the My Documents\OOTP 12\news\html\images folder (hopefully I didn't miss folder there).
Why did you have him put photos there?

Photos should go into the photos folder.
Attached Images
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
Why did you have him put photos there?

Photos should go into the photos folder.
The game will only pull from the photos folder if you start a new game. It sounded like he had one started, so I went with the work around method.

But cf is right; if you put them in the photos folder, new games will always pull from there.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #10
khy102
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yeah, I finally got it. Thanks for the help. Now I need to add the logos and I'll be all set!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:55 AM   #11
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
The game will only pull from the photos folder if you start a new game. It sounded like he had one started, so I went with the work around method.

But cf is right; if you put them in the photos folder, new games will always pull from there.
I wasnt saying you were wrong, but i didnt not know there was a way to get them to show up for an existing league. My only thing now is i think you forgot to tell him to put it in his saved games/LEAGUE Name.lg/html/news/images...since i only use photos when there is no facegen i hardly pay attention to photos, and I wasnt implying that your way wasnt a way to do it, just found it odd buddy.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:43 AM   #12
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

1. The next time OOTP needs a player image, if it cannot find the image in news\html\images, it will check in data\photos. If there is a matching image, it will be automatically copied into the saved game's news\html\images folder.
The saved game location is for logos not photos. From the Manual :
To get a new logo into an existing save game, you must copy the files manually into the data\saved_games\[your saved game].lg\news\html\images directory for each individual saved game.

This will allow you to have real logos to a saved game that didn't have them before, Player photos have to be reimported or generated to update and change.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
huntsvegas
Bat Boy

I am lost as well, Do you have to load each picture

individually or all of them at once? Also, on the downloading stats, are the stats incorrect or is this to get the lastest version? Thanks,
huntsvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvegas View Post
individually or all of them at once? Also, on the downloading stats, are the stats incorrect or is this to get the lastest version? Thanks,
once you get your pictures in go o update photos under league options & rules ( not sure if you have to be in commish mode for this)
Attached Images
Old 11-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #15
huntsvegas
Bat Boy

Thanks for the reply, but it didn't load the real pics that

i have in my photos folder. Not sure i am doing it correctly.
huntsvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #16
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsvegas View Post
i have in my photos folder. Not sure i am doing it correctly.
Do you have the actual pictures in the photos folder? They can't be in other subfolders or archived or anything. You also have to start a new league AFTER you put the pics in the photos folder. If you already started the league, follow the instructions above in the thread about putting them in the html\news\images folder.