Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

"Default" Offense Question

Can someone tell me how to adjust the game to get the "default" offensive output (meaning the offensive output you would expect if all Player Creation Modifiers and League Totals Modifiers were 1.00) to be near 1970 levels and stay there??? I.E., the early era's offense was lower than I would like and the modern numbers are higher than I would like. I have toyed and toyed with this and I can't figure it out. I would like the "default" to be that level, and then be able to randomly change Player Creation Modifiers and League Totals Modifiers from 1.00 annually to simulate slight changes.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #2
Kelric
Hall Of Famer

Go to Game > Game Setup > League Setup > Strategy. On the very top of the screen that appeared you'll see IMPORT SETTINGs, just click that bar and select the year you want your league to resemble. Then, of course, you can play with the pitcher endurance, rotation size, how often teams steal, .etc, etc., if you'd like. At default for say, 1975, you're going to come out with numbers VERY similar to 1975 across the board.
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #3
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Thanks for the reply Kelric, sorry I wasn't more clear. I'm not very good at that. I know about those things you suggested but that doesn't get me where I want. I'll try again. When you create a game and select a year, the game basically uses Player Creation Modifiers and strategy settings to get the desired results. For example, if you start a game using 1901 settings, the offensive results you get are close to 1901 BECAUSE it creates many, many, many, pitchers with 20 control and 20 movement, and NO batters with a home power above, say 10. This results in fewer walks, way fewer home runs, etc. However, if you edit the eramodifiers.txt file so that 1901 player creation modifiers are the same as 2006, i.e. 1's accross the board, then you end up with players created in 1901, using 1901 strategy settings with 2007 player creation modifiers, and you end up with 2007 like offensive results. This proves the game uses the same "default" sim results no matter the year, and that's ok, I would just like to change that default, so that when you create a league in 1901, 1951, or 2001, using all 1's for player creation modifiers and all 1's for League Totals modifiers, you end up with offense that's not quite as potent as the current "default" offense is. There may be no way to do this, but if there is and if someone knows how to get there, I would be greatly appreciative.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I believe that you would need to turn off the automatic updating of historical player creation modifiers and strategies, and you would have to modify the base league totals. The latter is not advisable unless you have read about it in the manual and have a firm understanding of how it works. But, if I understand your intentions correctly, you want player ratings from the modern day game, but you want era-specific totals without necessarily using era-specific strategies. The only way to do this would be to change the league totals. But this can have a HUGE impact on your sim results, so you need to study it and then do quite a bit of testing.

Another key consideration is ballpark factors. If you want truly realistic results, you need to change the default ballpark factors in the game, even for the historical ballparks. You would want to download Gambo's latest stadium chart to get better ballpark factors for real life historical and current ballparks. But the bigger issue for you is probably the need to modify the league totals.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote