Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

(1) Establish Trading Windows; (2) Add Transfers; (3) Add Player Loans

I see that there is a trading deadline, just as in the American big leagues, but I would also like to see the ability to set a parameter in which trades could be made only within a narrow window of time, rather than all season long until only such and such a date, and then throughout the offseason. I think things could get really interesting if, for instance, you could restrict trades to only a one week window between July 24th and July 31st. Also part of this could be restriction of off-season trading as well.

In addition, would like to see the idea of transfers introduced into the Game. This is a concept in which, instead of making a direct trade of contracts, the initiating team pays a fee to the other team to release the player from his contract entirely, and then the initiator negotiates a new contract with the player. This works especially well for the promotion/relegation fictional league concepts so many users here like (or would like) to do, because in real life, receiving transfer payments is one of the key ways in which chronically lower division clubs stay solvent.

Lastly, in these same types of leagues which typically don't have minor league systems, the ability to loan out a reserve player to another club, in order to give him trigger time in game situations, would be a cool little feature to add.

TL;DR: Since so many users here would like to manage their leagues in a manner similar to how European footie leagues are managed, how about baking those capabilities into the Game?
chucksabr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

These would be cool additions for sure.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You could disable trading in league setup, enable it on 24 Jul, then disable it again on 1 Aug.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

I could if I played out my league day by day, but I sim my entire season all at once. I'm God in my league, not an owner.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

For some reason I do not like any of these "enhancements". I like the game the way it plays out now. The additions would really kill the feeling of an actual baseball season because they are not like real life. This game is a baseball sim not "footie".
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
For some reason I do not like any of these "enhancements". I like the game the way it plays out now. The additions would really kill the feeling of an actual baseball season because they are not like real life. This game is a baseball sim not "footie".
This is why everything is an option. You play your way, he plays his way, I play my way, and we all go away happy.
blasek0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandMan View Post
Yes, they're not an accurate reflection of how modern baseball works, but as chucksabr points out, it would be a nice option for people who like fictional setups, as it would allow more flexibility and options to customize a universe.

As far as the transfer payments go, that could be faked. Create a "dummy" player on the initiating team's roster, and then trade that player and cash to the other team. Once the player has been "transferred," you can delete the dummy player manually edit the contract of the player who was transferred. If you wanted the game to decide what the contract should be, you could make a copy the league and have the game generate fictional contracts and then duplicate the appropriate contract in the "real" game. Labor-intensive, sure, but possible.

Last edited by eriqjaffe; 12-17-2013 at 11:56 AM.
eriqjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasek0 View Post
This is why everything is an option. You play your way, he plays his way, I play my way, and we all go away happy.
You're missing his point. He's saying he doesn't like the suggestions, or "enhancements", so he doesn't want anyone to have them. What is you, ignorant?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
I see that there is a trading deadline, just as in the American big leagues, but I would also like to see the ability to set a parameter in which trades could be made only within a narrow window of time, rather than all season long until only such and such a date, and then throughout the offseason. I think things could get really interesting if, for instance, you could restrict trades to only a one week window between July 24th and July 31st. Also part of this could be restriction of off-season trading as well.

In addition, would like to see the idea of transfers introduced into the Game. This is a concept in which, instead of making a direct trade of contracts, the initiating team pays a fee to the other team to release the player from his contract entirely, and then the initiator negotiates a new contract with the player. This works especially well for the promotion/relegation fictional league concepts so many users here like (or would like) to do, because in real life, receiving transfer payments is one of the key ways in which chronically lower division clubs stay solvent.

Lastly, in these same types of leagues which typically don't have minor league systems, the ability to loan out a reserve player to another club, in order to give him trigger time in game situations, would be a cool little feature to add.

TL;DR: Since so many users here would like to manage their leagues in a manner similar to how European footie leagues are managed, how about baking those capabilities into the Game?

This isn't soccer.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
This isn't soccer.
It isn't, but that doesn't mean the more interesting ideas from other sports should be rejected out of hand.

I, for example, would think it great to see something akin to the NFL's franchise player rule added as an option to OOTP. The ability to override a player's free agency rights for a season—provided you are willing to pay a very hefty cost for doing so—would add some interesting GM possibilities to the game.

Having the more regimented restricted/unrestricted free agency systems seen in the other pro sports, or a (simplified) version of the soft salary cap found in the NBA or hard salary cap found in the NFL or NHL, or some of transaction rules from the other sports, would all add interesting options to the general managing experience in OOTP. Which, to me, is the essence of the game.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #11
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
It isn't, but that doesn't mean the more interesting ideas from other sports should be rejected out of hand.

I, for example, would think it great to see something akin to the NFL's franchise player rule added as an option to OOTP. The ability to override a player's free agency rights for a season—provided you are willing to pay a very hefty cost for doing so—would add some interesting GM possibilities to the game.
But first, the current QO system should be fixed and properly mimic the real-life rules.

Quote:
Having the more regimented restricted/unrestricted free agency systems seen in the other pro sports, or a (simplified) version of the soft salary cap found in the NBA or hard salary cap found in the NFL or NHL, or some of transaction rules from the other sports, would all add interesting options to the general managing experience in OOTP. Which, to me, is the essence of the game.
I'd also like to see the option for an NHL style AAV based luxury tax threshold (The NHL uses the AAV of a player's contract, rather than the single year figure, to calculate that player's impact on the luxury tax), or the NBA's player salary cap (NBA players are capped in terms of dollars and years in how big of a contract that they can sign with a team).

Hard slotting for the draft, like the NBA, could also be interesting. Drafted at X? You get a signing bonus worth Y.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But first, the current QO system should be fixed and properly mimic the real-life rules.
I don't disagree. (And I still want to see many of the transaction rules from earlier in MLB's history recreated as well, since in some cases these earlier rules were quite different, making for a different GM experience.)

Quote:
I'd also like to see the option for an NHL style AAV based luxury tax threshold (The NHL uses the AAV of a player's contract, rather than the single year figure, to calculate that player's impact on the luxury tax)...
MLB's luxury tax does this also (along with prorating the signing bonus and option year buyout, if any, over the guaranteed years of the contract). OOTP's luxury tax model is not as sophisticated in accounting terms as is the real thing.

Quote:
...or the NBA's player salary cap (NBA players are capped in terms of dollars and years in how big of a contract that they can sign with a team).
The issue with the NBA's salary cap system is that it is very complicated, with a huge number of exceptions. Some sort of soft cap system would be nice to see though, as it is different from a hard cap system.

I had thought of a system loosely based on the MLS model. There'd be a salary cap, but clubs could exceed it by designating a preset number of player contracts as being exempt from the salary cap. This gives a soft cap system but without the complexity of the NBA model.

Quote:
Hard slotting for the draft, like the NBA, could also be interesting. Drafted at X? You get a signing bonus worth Y.
Something present in the NFL and NBA systems is a sliding scale of minimum salaries for players based on the number of seasons they've played. Players with more years of service have a higher minimum salary than those with fewer years. This is quite unlike baseball which has a single minimum salary regardless of the number of years of service.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
chucksabr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This isn't soccer.
I know. Point being?
Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:

This
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regarding this, IIRC in real life the franchised player gets the average of the top 5 salaries at his position. Now the obvious thing to say with regard to a game is "why can't you just designate someone as a different position to pay them less?". Of course in the NFL there have been arguments about that (although the most famous one went the other way, with a guy asking to be designated as a Linebacker instead of a Defensive End in order to get more money).

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This isn't soccer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksabr View Post
I know. Point being?

LOL PSUColonel is posting as me before I could. Well played.

He is definitely a supporter of your footie suggestion.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #17
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

RFA would be good. Sign and Trades to. At Draft Trades happening. Player Transaction News to for 2013 and beyond. Minor League Trades like in Hockey.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:13 AM   #18
blasek0
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
Sign and Trades to.
Players having (and make it an option!) the right to refuse a trade within 90 (I think the MLB rule is 90? Someone might want to verify that) days of signing a contract, which is a current MLB rule, if not one OOTP utilizes.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #19
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Players having (and make it an option!) the right to refuse a trade within 90 (I think the MLB rule is 90? Someone might want to verify that) days of signing a contract, which is a current MLB rule, if not one OOTP utilizes.
Players in the first year of a multi-year deal, and in his first year with a new team cannot be traded until after June 15th.
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote