Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
dplanty91
Bat Boy

British Leagues Question/Request

Hi Guys,

Just wanna say that the work you are doing is great, i can see significant improvements in recent updates and that is great.

I just have a small question regarding the British Leagues,

I was playing in the EIHL as Sheffield, and wanted to sign a new British Player to pad my roster out a bit, i Scoured the NIHL North 1 and found a decent 2 star player, however the club wanted 1,000,000 as a "transfer fee".

As far as i am aware, if an elite or EPL club wants to sign a plyer from a lower league, there is no transfer fee applicable, and a contract can be offered for consideration. I am also aware of 2 way deals being in existance which mean the player can play for both clubs over the season.

I was wondering whether the valuation system, and/or contract system will be overhauled before september release.

Thanks for your time.
dplanty91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplanty91 View Post
As far as i am aware, if an elite or EPL club wants to sign a plyer from a lower league, there is no transfer fee applicable, and a contract can be offered for consideration. I am also aware of 2 way deals being in existance which mean the player can play for both clubs over the season.

I was wondering whether the valuation system, and/or contract system will be overhauled before september release.
Yes, this is a major issue with the British leagues right now (and the same system exists in the German leagues). Strictly speaking, the way in which "transfers" happen in the UK is that a player hands his team 2 weeks' notice to leave the team. Equally, a team is entitled to give the player 2 weeks' notice to leave. Even if the original team gave the 2 weeks' notice, no compensation is payable to the player. At the end of the 2 week period, the player is a (unrestricted) free agent and another team can sign him.

However, in reality, it is common for a team to approach a player before he hands in his notice (why would he hand in his notice if he didn't have another team to go to) and there's a lot of negotiating between teams, etc. It might be a bit elaborate for the game to include this aspect at first, but the basic 2 week notice system really needs to be implemented in order for the UK to have any true sense of playability.

I have mentioned this to the devs on a couple of occasions and it has been logged via our project tool (the internal suggestions/bugs reporting system). However, I've no idea whether or not it'll be implemented for the first version - that's one for Jeff or the devs to respond to. The devs are so busy working flat-out on the game that it's understandable that this might not make it into the first version. However, I did suggest that a band-aid solution would be to disable the transfer system in the game - so that the only way of acquiring players would be via free agency (but without the 2 week notice system) - at least this would be somewhere near reality.

As for the 2 way system, I think this is less likely than the 2 week notice system to make it into the game. As with the above, only Jeff or the devs could answer this with authority. However, I think implementation of the 2 week system would have to take priority over the 2 way system.

As for the valuation system, salary ranges can be set on a league-by-league basis. I need to send to Jeff my proposals for the salary ranges for the UK. Once I've done this, and once Jeff has had time to input them, the salaries for the UK leagues will be much improved. Once the salaries are at a decent level, hopefully we'll be able to set team budgets to a reasonable level too.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
dplanty91
Bat Boy

Thanks Archi, I understand, it does seem quite a convoluted system to code.. Thanks for the swift reply.

I have found the leagues quite playable so far in terms of team standards etc so that is a great sign. I think the two week system would be great to implement if the devs find time, that said i am still loving the game so far, and look forward to more updates and improvements.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

In the meantime you might just set an out clause for the EPL to NIHL players, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #5
dplanty91
Bat Boy

Thats a good shout!

I will look at doing that!
Old 05-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
In the meantime you might just set an out clause for the EPL to NIHL players, doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
That's certainly a possibility. Although we'd need two termination clauses for each NIHL-1 player - one for the EPL and one for the EIHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dplanty91 View Post
I think the two week system would be great to implement if the devs find time, that said i am still loving the game so far, and look forward to more updates and improvements.
Glad to hear it! Hopefully once the devs have sorted out the basics and the bugs, we'll see a more realistic transfer system in a future version in the months/years to come.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
grazza
Bat Boy

NIHL is not basically considered amateur league? In EHM I think the ENL and SNL were considered amateur so you could just offer to sign the player. Not sure of the reality of how many players are paid to play, paid expenses or pay themselves to play. For the likes of imports though some perhaps are given a house or join as part of a study program.
grazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #8
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grazza View Post
NIHL is not basically considered amateur league? In EHM I think the ENL and SNL were considered amateur so you could just offer to sign the player. Not sure of the reality of how many players are paid to play, paid expenses or pay themselves to play. For the likes of imports though some perhaps are given a house or join as part of a study program.
The NIHL is a combination of amateur and semi-pro.

As I understand it, it really varies by team. The top Southern NIHL-1 teams (particularly Wightlink, Romford, Chelmsford and Invicta) can afford to pay reasonable wages to imports (and/or house/study funding) and, as I understand it, even part-time wages to some of the top Brit players (Callum Best was allegedly (according to the player himself via Twitter) sacked from Invicta because he was injured and the team wanted to avoid paying his wages during this time).

The lesser-skilled players on the top teams and most/all players on all other teams (apart from possibly the imports) are just paid expenses for travelling to games.

The North Div is a bit of a mystery to me, but I understand Solihull are quite flush. I'm not sure about the other teams. However, it seems the imports tend to gravitate towards the South Div - whether that is for the wages, I don't know.

I'm not 100% sure if the 2 week notice system applies to the NIHL, but even if it doesn't, it's near enough to reality for our purposes IMO. I would hazard a guess that there will be a 2 week notice clause in the contracts of players who receive a salary whereas the others are probably free to go as and when - but I don't know for sure.

I am planning on trying to pick the brains of the guys on THF as some of them appear to be closely linked to some of the teams in the UK. They may be able to provide a more solid insight.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
flamesfan
Bat Boy

problems with guildford flames lineup

hi just got beta and it has the makeings of a great sim.
A couple of things i have spotted on the guildford flames line up.
Ricky skean is down as an import but is in fact classed as a brit as trained here as a jr.
Jez lundin is also down as an inport but again is classed as a brit as trained here as a jr
Nathan remple is down as an non import when he is an inport.
No sign of andrew sharp that i could see
flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Thank you! I'll check them out and will get back to you.

As for Andrew Sharp, he should be on the Flames' roster already. I haven't yet checked in game, but he is certainly there when I checked in the Editor.

If you come across anything further then please use this thread if possible: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3508523 - This is our UK data issues thread and it is less likely to be buried or missed by me if it is posted in that rather than here.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
MartinGowland
Bat Boy

I know it's very early days still but somewhere down the line do you think the game's Historical Mode will cover the UK leagues? I'd love to go back to the Superleague days and even just go back to before the Vipers shut down.
MartinGowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #12
flamesfan
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibalduk View Post
Thank you! I'll check them out and will get back to you.

As for Andrew Sharp, he should be on the Flames' roster already. I haven't yet checked in game, but he is certainly there when I checked in the Editor.

If you come across anything further then please use this thread if possible: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3508523 - This is our UK data issues thread and it is less likely to be buried or missed by me if it is posted in that rather than here.
Will do thanks for getting back to me
flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
Vikke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGowland View Post
I know it's very early days still but somewhere down the line do you think the game's Historical Mode will cover the UK leagues? I'd love to go back to the Superleague days and even just go back to before the Vipers shut down.
It'd be pretty cool to sign Tony Hand in his early career.
Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #14
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
It'd be pretty cool to sign Tony Hand in his early career.
It'd also be cool to see him in the NA historic game and whether he could have made it in the NHL.

Edit: Fingers crossed this quote will make it into the game as one of the hints: "At the training camp I could see that he had a great ability to read the ice and he was the smartest player there other than Wayne Gretzky. He skated well; his intelligence on the ice stood out. He was a real prospect." (Glen Sather on Tony Hand)

Last edited by archibalduk; 05-23-2013 at 05:40 PM.
archibalduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 AM   #15
stephen
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just got the game and I did have to chuckle at the British player ratings and the salaries they were getting. Alex Mettam 5 stars and on $79,000, Nathan Craze, 1 star and no contract.

When signing british players they are asking for some crazy contract lengths. Paddy Ward wanted 7 years. Dude, you may have got me through my driving test but i'm not giving you a 7 year contract

I know its hard to change the game to properly mimick every league so it's not really an issue, just gave me a giggle.

Oh, and the wages players are earning are way more than they are really earning. You'll give people on THF a heart attack. It's would be nice to have things in local currency though.

Call the exchange rate £1=$1.5 Mettam would be on £52,600 a year. In reality I don't think hes much more than £10,000. Even the top imports would only be around £25-£30k.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:06 AM   #16
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post

When signing british players they are asking for some crazy contract lengths. Paddy Ward wanted 7 years.
This is a known issue and hopefully someday they will have a look at it
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #17
archibalduk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
Oh, and the wages players are earning are way more than they are really earning. You'll give people on THF a heart attack. It's would be nice to have things in local currency though.

Call the exchange rate £1=$1.5 Mettam would be on £52,600 a year. In reality I don't think hes much more than £10,000. Even the top imports would only be around £25-£30k.
The salary levels haven't been correctly set yet. I need to give the figures to Jeff to input into the game. I think we'll probably aim for an initial max wage of about £30k or possibly slightly higher, taking into account the monetary value of rent and tuition fees.