Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
Cubfan2001
Major Leagues

.423 BA hitters

Okay guys Im not necesarilly new to the game just newer to OOTP 11. I have been playing and it seems like every single season there is a .370 hitter including one of the first seasons (2014) I had a .423 hitter. Is this version hitter friendly? If so should I change a modifier to be more equal to RL? I currently didn't change any defaults.
Cubfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Your best bet is to look at league totals vs specific players. You don't say what type of league this is but modern day MLB league wide BA is 0.257-0.266.

If your league is set for a different era just look it up on Baseball Reference.

If the league wide BA is too high you need to adjust league totals or league total modifiers. that will proportionally reduce BA or any other output you want.

If you match league wide BA then you may have a skewed talent distribution. Check player creation modifiers. Some batter ratings may be too high or some pitchers ratings too low. This is rare. I'd bet that league BA is too high.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 09-26-2010 at 03:31 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
Cubfan2001
Major Leagues

Its a custom league. I have aging set at .920 and development at .970. I dont think it would be this though because even on the very 1st year there were some players for high BA. This past season in 2023 AL BA leader had a .380 BA and in NL .373.

AL league ba was .270, .262 for NL... how can I look up past League BA's as a whole? Way I found the current league BA's was I went to reports and "League batting stats" but could only find info for this season.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Click on _league_history and you can find everything.

You can click on _league_Statistics & Leaders and choose the Team Statistics tab. This is only for the current season.

Your BA are not out of line. Check league ERA. Is it around 4.3-4.8? You may have a few outliers, batters that are above the normal talent distribution.

FWIW I have 83 batters that hit over 0.350 in 28 seasons. The high was 0.403.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 09-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Cubfan2001
Major Leagues

You see thats the weird thing, the averages and League ERAs are around what you indicate but in 15 years there are 76 players who have hit .350 or above. Including three hitters over .400. .423, .407, .4000.

16 times has someone hit over 50 HRs in 15 seasons.

11 times over 150 RBIs

28 total players who finish with an ERA under 2.50.

To me I dont think the other stats seem out of hand but the BA does seem out of hand.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan2001 View Post
Its a custom league. I have aging set at .920 and development at .970. I dont think it would be this though because even on the very 1st year there were some players for high BA. This past season in 2023 AL BA leader had a .380 BA and in NL .373.

AL league ba was .270, .262 for NL... how can I look up past League BA's as a whole? Way I found the current league BA's was I went to reports and "League batting stats" but could only find info for this season.
I've had similair #'s in my custom ABF but i am only going into my 3rd season.

AL leader for avg in 2000 my SS at around .368 2001 my 3b at .362
nl was about the same for which ever the players were. i didnt change anything from the setup, but i want my SS to bat .423 eventually since he did bat .451 1 yr on hardball 3 and i use his career avg .368 as my base.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan2001 View Post
You see thats the weird thing, the averages and League ERAs are around what you indicate but in 15 years there are 76 players who have hit .350 or above. Including three hitters over .400. .423, .407, .4000.

16 times has someone hit over 50 HRs in 15 seasons.

11 times over 150 RBIs

28 total players who finish with an ERA under 2.50.

To me I dont think the other stats seem out of hand but the BA does seem out of hand.
The reality is that it is difficult to get an exact parallel of talent distribution even in fictional leagues. The good players are a little better and the bad players are a little worse. The resulting stats are good from a "totals" POV but the best players are going to perform a little better. The easiest way to see this is in your top SP. Far too many elite SP have consistent superior results from year to year. Partly this comes from an injury model that just doesn't give enough DtD injuries to pitchers across the board. Look at your SP career W-L records to see this.

The same happens to hitters at a slightly reduced occurrence as injuries do seem to help create some variability. However the top few hitters are going to dominate more than in real life. What may be a 0.350 season IRL becomes a 0.370 or better season in your world.

I play with aging/development mods and player creation mods but for the most part I can live with my fictional results.

YMMV

RichW