Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

best way to fix this problem

So I have had this happen a few times but seems very unrealistic and im sure there is a setting to fix but here it is I signed a free agent pitcher (26 years old 5 straight cy youngs) to a 7 year deal 29 mil a pop knowing that probably the last 2 years he wouldnt be worth the money but was desperate for an ace after a few straight first round exits. age 27 for me cy young age 28 for me cy young age 29 for me goes 20-7 witha 3.15 then with a week left in the year he goes from a full 5 star to a 2.5 and his stuff goes from 80 to 40 overnight and he now isnt even in my starting rotation going into the playoffs and got rocked.. i get players at some point fall off a cliff but at 29 years old and a 7 time cy young to not even being a rotation guy seems absurd. is their a way to fix that from happening that just seems drastic. I cant even think of a real player that has happened to and it seems to happen to all my good players once they get that second contract.
Obechkinsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

feeling that it doesn't happen in real life isn't the same as not happening in RL... i bet it was more common when they were treated more like dogs than humans. players decrapitate at ~30 all the time.

so, it should happen in ootp.... There are some forum posts on aging curve. You can even find a more forgiving one that at least one person says is more accurate..

i have way more faith in a professional operation's research than a few seasons simmed on OOTP with a whole lot of volatility and some amatuer statistician using it

don't get caught up on what happens in RL, imo.. that's a rabbit whole trek you will never be satisfied with. i'm not doing the research, but you should look into players crashing ~30... it's not something to be incredulous about. (i.e. "feel" as opposed to knowing/finding a real answer)
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #3
Obechkinsbuddy
Minors (Single A)

I get what you are saying cuz I have had guys that are 3 stars never better and be very serviceable for a decade but maybe it’s just my save and this is the first time I’ve played over 10 years in a save (only my second OOTP I bought and I love it) but I’m just blindsided by a guy that won 7 straight cy young's and in the age 29 season he goes 20-6 with a 3.15 233ks he immediately was a 2.5 star player I was able to dump him for a very good pitcher 3 star solid strikeout guy but I had to eat 8.8 a year for 3 more years I guess that’s why u don’t sign free agents cuz u never get the backend but I was hoping maybe I’d just have to eat his age 32-33 season thought I’d be golden for that deal!
Obechkinsbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it sucks when it happens that early... it's rare to see. if i recall, i've seen a major drop off even ealier -- that'd by TCR more likely than age-related. so could yours, it's in that grey area of unknown from our point of view.

think of it as some superstar developing a major meth habit. he's not going to be the same after that.

it doesn't have to be aging, because we can't be sure that is the cause, either. if he were 35, i'd put all my money on age.

but all of that is part of the same whole... whatever answers they mined from historical injury data... it's modeled with the aging AND the TCR. you can reduce TCR, but you may not see as high of peaks in talent as a repercussion. it'll still be possible, but less likely, i bet. if they separate age-related and "other" stuff now, they can easily diversify the "other" later.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-17-2019 at 12:51 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:13 AM   #5
Anyone
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obechkinsbuddy View Post
So I have had this happen a few times but seems very unrealistic and im sure there is a setting to fix but here it is I signed a free agent pitcher (26 years old 5 straight cy youngs) to a 7 year deal 29 mil a pop knowing that probably the last 2 years he wouldnt be worth the money but was desperate for an ace after a few straight first round exits. age 27 for me cy young age 28 for me cy young age 29 for me goes 20-7 witha 3.15 then with a week left in the year he goes from a full 5 star to a 2.5 and his stuff goes from 80 to 40 overnight and he now isnt even in my starting rotation going into the playoffs and got rocked.. i get players at some point fall off a cliff but at 29 years old and a 7 time cy young to not even being a rotation guy seems absurd. is their a way to fix that from happening that just seems drastic. I cant even think of a real player that has happened to and it seems to happen to all my good players once they get that second contract.
If it's way outside the normal aging curve, you can lower talent change randomness in the game settings and players will be much less likely to fall off the cliff early, though also of course less likely to keep going longer than would be expected.

It happens more than you realize in real life though, I'd guess. Usually when it happens in real life a player gets hurt and never fully gets everything back.
Anyone is offline   Reply With Quote