Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 08-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #1
Magus978
All Star Starter

Season MJ (23) Discussion Thread (2041)

Do you believe you can fly? Do you believe you can touch the sky? Do you think about it every night and day? Spread your wings and fly away...

...oh, sorry, was lost in a thonk.

Welcome to the 2041 season. Good luck, have fun, and most importantly...give all your points to me for absolutely no reason.

What, you thought I was gonna say don't die? That's clearly the wrong game!

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

Bad News Bulldogs start life in Diamond after a dominant title winning season, they are a Reds only team, have around 15k PP so any upgrades are in the distant future, just a case of hoping we have enough to be competitive

Paragon City Heroes stay in gold after losing the WC in a very turbulent season. We were awful until July, amazing after. The biggest question mark is the batting lineup as Maddux/Catfish/Scherzer/Plank/Soroka is a decently strong rotation. We have solid defence with Ozzie at 2b Belanger and Dykstra at Cf. New arrivals are Madlock (3b) O'Neil (1b) Puckett (RF)

Neuman Furshlugginers brought in 10 new pitchers after last seasons woeful display. Every pitcher is either a groundball or extreme groundball pitcher, with Smith/Oquendo in the middle to deal with it hopefully. Still keeping a all switch hitter lineup but Reggie Smith comes in at CF

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

The Austin Express begins this season in P.425, coming off their first ever Perfect Championship last season, where I see an awful lot of familiar teams from the forums here! No significant changes from last season, and still trying to sell a couple of cards to fund one more SP.

The Tombstone Glory are back in Bronze .224, they had a great regular season, but fell in the first round of the playoffs. Still debating expanding beyond Cub only cards this year.

Should be an interesting season, good luck everyone!
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Hmm... We're back in the whale league again. I guess the Raccoons wanted to prove they don't suck THAT bad. Things do look easier this time around - only 12-13 whales and no mini-whales that I noticed. We're in a division with only 1 whale this time, the Texas Texans. We lost most of our games to them last season, but most were close. There's one division in the other conference with no whales in it so at least 1 non-whale will make the playoffs this time (didn't happen last season).

I decided to change my ballpark factors to be a neutral park (1st time in perfect) this time and assuming someone else doesn't suck like Keefe and Clarkson did last season, maybe it will help. But I wonder how much it will hurt our hitting? Should be interesting.

I think we have a shot at the making the playoffs as the #7 seed. Oops, wrong sport. Even after last season's disaster, I feel optimistic for some reason. Hoping to win 90-100 this year. Regardless of the outcome, I need to remember to update my friends list at the end of the season so I can get back to earning lots of PP.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:36 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

MJ? He is just some scrub that barely hit .200 in AA. Why dedicate a thread to that nobody? If you want to mention a #23, try Sandberg or Mattingly. Those are real ballplayers.

The Colonels are going full offense this week, putting our nine best hitters in the lineup with no platoons and defensive subs at three positions. A couple of my regulars were slumping last season, so I gradually shifted to a more defensive group by the end of the week. I ended up scoring 130 fewer runs and allowing 20 fewer runs. Some of the run production drop-off was due to down seasons from a couple of key hitters, but I don't think it was a winning adjustment overall. So I am back to the quest for 1000 runs scored. I also tweaked my HR park factors up just a bit because my staff routinely leads the league in HR prevention.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Mick Jagger? What?

The Raccoons start the season with a gold achievement, 1,000 PP for six double plays turned in support of a 6-hit shutout by Big Walt, who was btw last year's Pitcher of the Year once more, his ninth in 23 seasons … and actually his first after a 12-year drought.

No great news for the Rebels, and nothing that I haven't already repeatedly whined over with the Accountants, with who I again managed to buy multiple cards that were totally surely going to from 79/89 to the next level, and none of them did.

Sigh.
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
The Austin Express begins this season in P.425, coming off their first ever Perfect Championship last season, where I see an awful lot of familiar teams from the forums here! No significant changes from last season, and still trying to sell a couple of cards to fund one more SP.

The Tombstone Glory are back in Bronze .224, they had a great regular season, but fell in the first round of the playoffs. Still debating expanding beyond Cub only cards this year.

Should be an interesting season, good luck everyone!
P425 represent! Good luck to you, Nero! Wait, we're not in the same division, are we? I won't be able to see the league setup until tonight. If we are...average luck to you, Nero!

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:27 PM   #8
BKlip
Bat Boy

My first ever Perfect League season! Beyond nervous. How am I going to have a shot when half the teams are stacked with OVR 100 players???
Old 08-26-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
Izz
Hall Of Famer

P427 here. 3-7 start to the season. Don't have time to go looking through the rest of the league right now to see who the whales are. My goal for this season: tread water My rotation and bullpen have improved from the beginning of last season (though my defense hasn't!) so we'll see if that helps any. I'm going to write last season's 78-84 off as an anomaly, as one of the team's in my division was clearly tanking (yes, reported) and I benefited from their less than .200 winning percentage.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
Magus978
All Star Starter

You're all wrong with your suggestions of what MJ stood for! I was clearly talking about former Giants reliever Mike Jackson

Who happens to be one of the better silver relievers you can get at the lower levels

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
old timer
Hall Of Famer

It seems I miscounted the number of whales in this league. There appear to be 9 in our conference and 6 in the other so there are as many as last year except we have more in our conference this time (naturally!).

We're off to a 5-6 start and have 10 straight games against whalish teams coming up, so I'll be surprised if we finish the month with a winning record. The teams we have to play soon are laregly responsible for the Fresno Losers (a great team) 2-10 start which doesn't bode well for the Raccoons.

At least no one has started off really badly yet so maybe we won't suck quite as much as last year?
Old 08-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #12
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Well hopefully I'm not stuck in the whale league again this year, the Suns are good and finished at 87 wins in there last year, but not good enough to make any sort of postseason like that.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:26 PM   #13
Nero
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
P425 represent! Good luck to you, Nero! Wait, we're not in the same division, are we? I won't be able to see the league setup until tonight. If we are...average luck to you, Nero!

Unfortunately...yes...we are in the same division....

What I find amusing, is that for about 40 years, I lived in Lake In The Hills, and I'm constantly amazed at how many folks I see with teams with "Northern Illinois" type names.

Good luck to ya, let's both head to the postseason!!
Nero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:59 PM   #14
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus978 View Post
You're all wrong with your suggestions of what MJ stood for! I was clearly talking about former Giants reliever Mike Jackson

Who happens to be one of the better silver relievers you can get at the lower levels
17-year career... never wore #23.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:21 PM   #15
Argonaut
All Star Starter

This is why we desperately need a clear stats option. The dreaded Mondays when you wake up to find a previously acquired player that suddenly decides he had past stats he forgot about. Hal Newhouser pitched a whopping 18 innings before I bought him, and now he's tainted forever. I'm so mad I just want to smash things.
Attached Images
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:38 PM   #16
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

The Frogs are back at it in P404 this week. Once again having been placed in a whale-free division. Not complaining. There are a couple of teams in the division that could make for stiff competition though. We're 10-4 so far, but the offense is sputtering (current .244 batting average should come up into the .280-.290 range).

Continue to open packs because it continues to be an EV+ proposition (I don't care what anyone says, we're about 900 packs in and nearing 1.5 million PP in value). In the latest run of 25 packs, 100 Bellinger and 98 Sale popped out. So, that's all costs recouped right there. Pulled an 87 Wade Boggs and I'm trying him at 3B this week, moving Nomar to 2B full-time. I guess I'm going for even more CON this week, because I also dredged up Smoky Burgess and 77 Tony Gwynn and subbed 'em in for Spanky and Mike Trout. Trout had a down week irl so I hope he heats back up again for next week. The final touch is we'll be trying SE "Gorgeous George" for the whole week as the lone DH.

I will keep my SE Luke Appling and Willie Keeler cards on the AH for another week I guess. No nibbles last week. Selling cards in the vicinity of 100K and up can be slow going. First time I've kept cards up for an entire week without them selling.

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:00 PM   #17
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero View Post
Unfortunately...yes...we are in the same division....

What I find amusing, is that for about 40 years, I lived in Lake In The Hills, and I'm constantly amazed at how many folks I see with teams with "Northern Illinois" type names.

Good luck to ya, let's both head to the postseason!!
That's awesome--I can see Lake in the Hills from my house (we are just south of Algonquin Road).

And, um, you are currently 15-0...damn. The Red Raiders have stumbled out of the gate at 6-8.

Added: OK, now you're 16-0, and as I take a closer look at my results, I am 7-1 against Everyone Except the Austin Express, and 0-7 against the Austin Express. So...wow.

Last edited by JasonC23; 08-26-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:01 PM   #18
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

The R. Kelly song, the thonk made up for it even the baseball purist in me. It was obvious that you were spewing, thonking, whatever.

Well, there's a team...the Singapore Sluggers in my division this week...that opened up a 4 game lead in the first 6 games and judging by their history it wasn't exactly an unsustainable pace. So...not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE but a wild card try looks a loot more doable. And there are 5 REALLY good teams in my conference and a few others, too...so...You know, I'll do the best I can...at some point I have to either figure out a way to beat them or move down to diamond...or wait...for those favorably arranged Perfect leagues.

I wonder what's involved in winning 115+ games every week......must know the game pretty well.

Although I'm not exactly firing on all cylinders...the team definitely does better when I am closer to MY best...as far as teams doing well when you're not at your computer, I mean, you pretty much have everything set so it's not that surprising, except for little tweaks you KNOW have a good chance of working out FAVORABLY.

Then there's the more GM side of things. I have a few weaknesses there that aren't necessarily permanent. It's not really a matter of being optimistic or pessimistic as much as it is remaining aware of ...the possibilities, the "realistic" ones, I suppose. Plus, I swore I wasn't going to mind much how the team did so long as I was able to set it up to my contention, win or lose, but I'm in that area where I win 90-105 so it's impossible to ignore entirely. If you told me I was going to win 90-105 7 seasons in a row I would have asked how many championships? Oh, zero. How many conference championships? 0. Whaaaaat?

Last edited by One Great Matrix; 08-26-2019 at 07:16 PM.
One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:07 PM   #19
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Well, there's a team...the Singapore Sluggers in my division this week...that opened up a 4 game lead in the first 6 games and judging by their history it wasn't exactly an unsustainable pace. So...not saying it's IMPOSSIBLE but a wild card try looks a loot more doable.
Oof, Singapore is a tough team. I've been in their division twice now, and in their league 3 times, and, well, yeah, aim for that Wild Card!

Old 08-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #20
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

15 games is a small sample size... 15 games is a small sample size... 15 games is a small sample size...