Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #21
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Well, I did it - bought another license on the sale just so I could get three more teams. Not going to spend money on PP, part of the fun for me is the challenge of FTP, but I'm happy to buy the right to have extra teams.

This has also pretty much killed PT19 for me. I just don't have the time to keep up with three more teams and all my PT19 teams. How many of you are still playing 19 as well as 20?

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:37 AM   #22
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

By the way - one of the teams will be a pack only team (can't believe I haven't done that in PT20 yet), one will be an auction house/card flipping team, and the third is the logical follow on from the Scullytown Barbers.

Given that the first two cards pulled were Bob Boone and Davey Lopes, and Kirk Gibson followed later on, I've decided to make it a "players who became managers" theme.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb

Last edited by BigRed75; 07-09-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #23
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

All my teams are various grades of terrible.

The Raccoons have stopped hitting altogether. Even Future Pete is hitting .136 with no homers. (shrugs) Sometimes you're just going to get relegated...

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:03 PM   #24
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancySkunk View Post
We had an absolutely insane first simulation day of the season:

Between you and Orcin, I am SO glad Huntley is in the AC.

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:14 PM   #25
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonC23 View Post
Between you and Orcin, I am SO glad Huntley is in the AC.
You are on a little HOT streak yourself right now.

FancySkunk and I play a four-game series this afternoon, so that will be a good test for my club. We also have Long Beach-Compton and the Philadelphia Bulldogs in our very competitive conference.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #26
Cheesehead1964
Major Leagues

My Bees won the Diamond Series last season and seem to be doing okay - middle of the pack- this season in Perfect. I'll probably give them a season or two then switch to my Brewer theme team.

I put my Thieves on a fire sale and started building a Senators/Twins theme team. So far I've acquired some good players like diamond Kirby Puckett, Killebrew and Goose Goslin; gold Carew 87, Joe Cronin, Oliva, and Kaat; and a few others. I've completed most of the Twins Live collection (just a lowly iron card left, although the payout for the collection isn't great - like a bronze or maybe silver). I also have about half the cards collected for all five of the Senators/Twins franchise missions. Working toward the 100 Perfect Johann Santana (wish it was Walter Johnson though). The transition is fun but pretty rough. No pitching really.

The Barnstormers continue to flounder in Perfect. Ugh.

Last edited by Cheesehead1964; 07-09-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Cheesehead1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #27
old timer
Hall Of Famer

It seems like whoever I put in LF does really well. 2 Seasons ago, 94 Ruth had a great year, then 99 Williams did last year and now I've got 80 Ashburn there just to train him as a defensive sub and he's hitting so well (.418 AVG), I don't want to take him out.

At the moment, the Raccoons are leading the Arlington Cowboys by 5 games, but that can't last since I'm sure they're a better team. We're 27-7 .794 and that's only the 3rd best in the league. This league has a lot of very good teams, though not many whales.

I'm hoping to get me a top notch SP soon, but once I had the PP for one, both of the ones I wanted got purchased by someone else.

Edit: I just got 100 Hubbell for a decent price. So I made him a starter and moved 100 Seaver to my bullpen (he's 117,78,87 as a reliever) and made him a stopper along with 99 Eck. For now, I moved Cy Blanton to the reserve roster which was painful to do since he's been so reliable through the years.

Last edited by old timer; 07-09-2019 at 03:21 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:13 PM   #28
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Well, I did it - bought another license on the sale just so I could get three more teams. Not going to spend money on PP, part of the fun for me is the challenge of FTP, but I'm happy to buy the right to have extra teams.

This has also pretty much killed PT19 for me. I just don't have the time to keep up with three more teams and all my PT19 teams. How many of you are still playing 19 as well as 20?
For 19 all i ever do is open packs every now and then. Running five 20 teams is hard.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #29
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Sidebar: Yeah, I just have one PT team and I have no idea how some of you guys manage so many teams across so many accounts. I feel like I already put too much time into making my Frogs ribbit. If I had more teams I might never go to work or outside ever again.

As for the Frogs' progress this week, the ultra-defense strategy has not gone so well. I came home to find that we'd just snapped an 11-game losing streak. Looking at the streak, we lost a whopping seven 1-run games in that span. Two of the others were 2-run games...Some tough teams packed into that stretch, but going 0-7 in one-run games is eye opening.

After playing around with my little 'Jump to Conclusions' floor mat, I've decided that my team probably doesn't have a strong enough bullpen to support an ultra-defense strategy. I think I really need that extra offensive firepower (having 3 or 4 guys vying for the batting title each week) to give my team its best possible outcome. When my bullpen falters, having less firepower means a vanishingly small chance of getting those runs back. So I'll probably scrap ultra-defense after this week and maybe try it again after investing many thousand more PP into the bullpen.

Other news and notes: I used funds from my collection missions sell-a-thon to obtain a LIVE Mike Trout and a gold Pudge Rodriguez. Noticed that both cards had prior stats on them, so put 'em up for sale. I could do better than Trout in CF defensively anyway...Garry Maddox is back in CF full-time and Buster Posey is back papering things over (I had bought a Tony Pena also for ultra-defense, but he had stats also) as Spanky's lesser platoon partner until I can find a better defensive option on the cheap in the AH.

Sidebar 2: I really do like running experiments with my team. I feel like it helps me flesh out strategies that will make us more competitive in the long run.

Last edited by waittilnextyear; 07-09-2019 at 04:36 PM.
waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:24 PM   #30
JasonC23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
You are on a little HOT streak yourself right now.
And that's my cue to wrap things up here at work and get home to check on my Red Raiders. Thanks!

JasonC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:56 AM   #31
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
after playing around with my little 'jump to conclusions' floor mat

I love it!

Last edited by BigRed75; 07-10-2019 at 03:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 01:34 PM   #32
PocketsAintFull
All Star Starter

Closer Jeff Russell (Hardware Heroes, 1989) throws an Immaculate Inning for the Stunners

Such is their season, it ended in an extra-innings loss, but hey

Both my Diamond teams are struggling after doing well last week, gotta start finding some PP in the lineups and turning the teams over a little
Old 07-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #33
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Shortly after stating that Ashburn was hitting too well to put back on the bench, he went from the "who's hot" to the "who's not" section. So I put Ted Williams back in LF and he's done great. The offense is now doing well, moving from a low of 10th in R to 2nd in R.

Hubbell has had a rough start for the Raccoons. He's 1-4 in 7 starts, but he's not pitched that badly, he's just mostly been unlucky. Having Seaver in the bullpen has been great so I'm sure this will work out in the long run.

The Raccoons are 5.5 games up on the Arlington Cowboys who've been unlucky up to this point. We're 46-19 .708, but only have a +114 RDiff, way off last year's pace. By the end of the year, I doubt we'll be in 1st.

For 2 years in a row and so far this year, we've not had 1 achievement worth more than 1k PP, but we still topped 20k PP for those previous 2 seasons. Now that I'm spending very little, it would be nice to have some of those big achievements.

Last edited by old timer; 07-10-2019 at 04:15 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #34
Morug
Major Leagues

My Expos are horrible..stagnant team.

Angels performing well again, feel little lucky to often play in an easy division in PL...One or two season I ended in a division with a whale or two and never make the playoff in those years...and playoff are very hard because its more a whale game at this stade of the season. Hope to be lucky again in some packs and upgrade my team a little..I need some goods pitchers.

F2P pack only

F2P AH
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:39 AM   #35
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

This week has been very taxing on the Frogs in P431. The team is comfortably in last place with a 26-55 record.

A confluence of events has the team staring into the abyss of potential relegation.

For starters, I just saw Markus' post that 4 teams are being relegated now from Perfect each week--wish I would've known that tidbit before setting up my team for this week...

Secondly, I wanted to try out ultra-defense as a strategy, so I subbed out some of my better hitters (just a few, nowhere near "tanking") in favor of training up better defenders. I also minimized all ballpark factors for what is usually a team that bats .295 or so (batting .247 this week), and this contact-heavy approach usually helps to carry the team. Of course, I can't change the ballpark factors in season.

In addition, P431 is a pretty tough league and many of the tougher teams are in my conference--so we've been getting beat down on a pretty regular basis. Looking over the schedule, we've played the Spearfish Blackhaws (0-3), the Collingwood Magpies (1-2), the Brooklyn Cyclones (0-3), the Brooklyn Dodgers (1-6), the Marshall Cardinals (0-2), the Windy City Summoners (1-6), the Kingston Rockers (2-5), and the New York Flyers (4-8)--all of these teams I'd consider to have significantly more roster talent than the Frogs. The Frogs have even been getting beat up by some teams that I'd consider more peer-like in the Sycho Sity Sociopaths (1-6) and the Fargo Buscemis (0-3).

If all of the preceding factors weren't enough of a problem, I noticed that we're played 32 one-run games so far (out of 81 total games) and we're just 10-22 in those games.

I added 92 Greg Maddux for 25K PP tonight and am hoping that him replacing gold Shane Bieber (no clue how he got into my rotation, lol) and maybe adding another bullpen arm will help me stave off relegation. The schedule also gets a little bit more palatable in August/September so that might also help. I have about 70K PP saved up, but I am being pretty frugal about spending that because the nature of my "mint card" addiction means that I need to buy pretty low to ensure I can easily flip cards that end up having stats. First world problems...

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #36
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Just pulled my first 100 from a pack in PT20 today. I've had some cards move up to 100 (Giles, Bellinger, Tatis), earned the Eric Davis from a mission, and the boy bought Perfect Scherzer, but perfect Kimbrel was my first pull.

He's on the AH now, because he doesn't fit the theme of the team that pulled him.

SPTT team

Old 07-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #37
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waittilnextyear View Post
but I am being pretty frugal about spending that because the nature of my "mint card" addiction means that I need to buy pretty low to ensure I can easily flip cards that end up having stats. First world problems...
I also have this big problem with mint condition cards. I've bought a few Diamond pitchers this week at good prices, but alas, they came with stats so I had to re-sell.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #38
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
I also have this big problem with mint condition cards. I've bought a few Diamond pitchers this week at good prices, but alas, they came with stats so I had to re-sell.
Had to?

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #39
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Had to?
Argonaut is OCD like that.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #40
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
Argonaut is OCD like that.
If you check my signature I've managed to overcome the OL one. I don't think I'll be able to get over the stats one though.

Hoping for improvements to PT for both of them though -- better friend's list and league facilitation, along with the ability to delete prior stats.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote