Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #21
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The Colonels are off to a good start at 17-12. The pitching staff leads the way as usual (2nd in runs allowed, 2nd in all pitching categories), and the offense is a respectable 7th in runs scored.

I have a shot at buying that fifth starter now, although it is not a bargain price but a reasonable one. However, Adam Wainwright is killing it again as the fifth starter (2.80 ERA, 1.10 WHIP). He won 19 games each of his first two seasons in perfect and then had a horrible third year (last season). That's when I decided that his first two seasons were the flukes, but I have to wonder about that now given his resurgence. He is an extreme GB pitcher and my infield defense is outstanding. Maybe he could fill the role permanently with Reuschel as an option for the occasional bad year. If so, that would leave some points to upgrade the offense.

My weak links on offense are Freddie Freeman at 1B and Anthony Rendon at third. I am struggling to find offensive upgrades for them that will not weaken my infield defense. My best ideas are perfect Wade Boggs at 1B and perfect Jackie Robinson at 3B. I can afford both of those if I stand pat on the pitching staff.

Decisions, decisions... would appreciate any feedback that you have. I realize this is a first-world problem.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:15 AM   #22
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The Colonels are off to a good start at 17-12. The pitching staff leads the way as usual (2nd in runs allowed, 2nd in all pitching categories), and the offense is a respectable 7th in runs scored.

I have a shot at buying that fifth starter now, although it is not a bargain price but a reasonable one. However, Adam Wainwright is killing it again as the fifth starter (2.80 ERA, 1.10 WHIP). He won 19 games each of his first two seasons in perfect and then had a horrible third year (last season). That's when I decided that his first two seasons were the flukes, but I have to wonder about that now given his resurgence. He is an extreme GB pitcher and my infield defense is outstanding. Maybe he could fill the role permanently with Reuschel as an option for the occasional bad year. If so, that would leave some points to upgrade the offense.

My weak links on offense are Freddie Freeman at 1B and Anthony Rendon at third. I am struggling to find offensive upgrades for them that will not weaken my infield defense. My best ideas are perfect Wade Boggs at 1B and perfect Jackie Robinson at 3B. I can afford both of those if I stand pat on the pitching staff.

Decisions, decisions... would appreciate any feedback that you have. I realize this is a first-world problem.
Yea, I went with Jackie at 3rd also. The 98 card which is really very close to his perfect card. Not a huge dropoff. He trains up to about 86 at 3b. I went with 99 Wagner at short and 96 Sandburg at 2b with Johnny Pesky backing up all of them designated as a late inning defensive replacement.

Last edited by mcdog512; 05-28-2019 at 11:21 AM.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #23
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I am mildly surprised to see the Raccoons at 15-13 in Perfect despite our pitching getting routinely flogged. Well... the run differential is -7, so there's that…

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:23 AM   #24
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Yea, I went with Jackie at 3rd also. The 98 card which is really very close to his perfect card. Not a huge dropoff. He trains up to about 86 at 3b.
I would prefer the 98 for 2/3 of the price, but I might as well buy the perfect and save the training as opposed to paying 100K for the 98 that is listed now.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:39 AM   #25
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

How high a 1B rating do you require? I've got Lajoie (97 OVR) at 1B (82 DEF) and he's great offensively in perfect, but maybe he's not good enough defensively for your team?

Edit: OK, I just saw 100 Boggs and I guess he would be better.

Last edited by old timer; 05-28-2019 at 11:43 AM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #26
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
99 Jackie is the best defensive Jackie, with offensive ratings similar to the 98. Usually costs more though. 100 Boggs at 1B is a good choice too. Could move Rendon to 1B and platoon with Freeman temporarily while you're shuffling players around a bit if you have room on the roster.

pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #27
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Raccoons continue to roll and are now 26-6 which is our 2nd best start ever (last season was a tad better). We just took 2 of 3 from the Bronx Bombers who have the best record in the league. They're team ERA is 1.93 and ours is 2nd at 2.66. It always feels nice to win a series against a better team. Now if we can just do this again in the playoffs!

Currently, we have the top 3 hitters in AVG, Lajoie, Seymour and Zimmerman. For some reason, Zimmerman consistently hits for a .300+ AVG, while Ted Williams has never hit above .285 and is currently at .225 in spite of his superior contact rating. This is true for 5 seasons now and I've seen it with others who have the same cards. I wish I knew why this was so? I'm not convinced it's just sample size. Lou Boudreau also seems to hit well for others (and me too) even though his contact rating wouldn't indicate that he should. So is there something more than contact rating at play here?

Last edited by old timer; 05-28-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #28
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
The Raccoons continue to roll and are now 26-6 which is our 2nd best start ever (last season was a tad better). We just took 2 of 3 from the Bronx Bombers who have the best record in the league. They're team ERA is 1.93 and ours is 2nd at 2.66. It always feels nice to win a series against a better team. Now if we can just do this again in the playoffs!

Currently, we have the top 3 hitters in AVG, Lajoie, Seymour and Zimmerman. For some reason, Zimmerman consistently hits for a .300+ AVG, while Ted Williams has never hit above .285 and is currently at .225 in spite of his superior contact rating. This is true for 5 seasons now and I've seen it with others who have the same cards. I wish I knew why this was so? I'm not convinced it's just sample size. Lou Boudreau also seems to hit well for others (and me too) even though his contact rating wouldn't indicate this. So is there something more than contact rating at play here?
Is it the pull rating of one card vs the other? There was a long drawn-out discussion about that recently, centering on why Bellinger wasn't performing (for seemingly anybody) in Perfect leagues.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:06 PM   #29
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
Is it the pull rating of one card vs the other? There was a long drawn-out discussion about that recently, centering on why Bellinger wasn't performing (for seemingly anybody) in Perfect leagues.

Interesting. I'll check and see. So does the strategy setting for shifts really work well then? And if it works well, then is there any reason to not use shifs as much as possible?

Last edited by old timer; 05-28-2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #30
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Interesting. I'll check and see. So does the strategy setting for shifts really work well then?
Yeah the shift is really good against lefty pull-hitters, and is hurting the historical players who never saw the extent of that strategy. The way to beat it is to bunt-for-hit, but sadly Ted Williams doesn't look like he's capable of that.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #31
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Yeah the shift is really good against lefty pull-hitters, and is hurting the historical players who never saw the extent of that strategy. The way to beat it is to bunt-for-hit, but sadly Ted Williams doesn't look like he's capable of that.

Thanks! Right about the same time you posted, I added "And if it works well, then is there any reason to not use shifts as much as possible?" In other words, is there any downside to using shifts?
Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #32
old timer
Hall Of Famer

A rare moment... The Raccoons have the best record in the league. We're 29-6 .829 (17-1 at home). It won't last, but it's kind of cool. And I was worried we'd not do well in perfect (3 seasons back). Of course, we wouldn't be doing so well if the league was full of nothing but top teams.

Edit: Still on top with a 37-7 .841 (23-2 home) record. Crazy!

Last edited by old timer; 05-28-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #33
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The Mudhens 1st season isn't going so well. After winning 101 games last season, we're now sitting at the bottom of the league.

I've got 29k PP to spend, but I can't find anyone on the AH to buy. I finally found a pitcher that I wanted and who was only a little over his average price. Right before clicking Buy Now, I decided to expand it to see his ratings one last time and it wouldn't do it. The person who put it up, cancelled the auction just seconds before I hit buy. Ugh!
Old 05-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #34
sharknut
All Star Reserve

All three of my teams are packs only. My one Gold team pulled a perfect Guerrero before this season started and my Diamond team just pulled a Bellinger.

sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #35
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My best ideas are perfect Wade Boggs at 1B and perfect Jackie Robinson at 3B.
I found the Boggs card at a "bargain" price, so I bought it but I haven't put him in yet because the team is playing well and I don't want to disrupt the chemistry.

I really would like to win one perfect leagues championship in my lifetime. In order to get ready for some additional upgrades, I made Markus very happy today.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:05 PM   #36
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Now that is how you break a losing streak
Attached Images

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #37
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Well, perfect 402 is actually looking interesting, where there's a lack of quantity of good teams, the quality of the couple of elite and a few well constructed teams very much makes up for it....

I'm thoroughly impressed with the Evergreen Raccoons who actually pretty much lead my league in most of the offensive categories and the Bobcats who are the team to beat in the National league.

Good luck all!

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #38
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3NEIZE View Post
Well, perfect 402 is actually looking interesting, where there's a lack of quantity of good teams, the quality of the couple of elite and a few well constructed teams very much makes up for it....

I'm thoroughly impressed with the Evergreen Raccoons who actually pretty much lead my league in most of the offensive categories and the Bobcats who are the team to beat in the National league.

Good luck all!

Ah, so you're the Bronx Bombers. Great team! We got lucky and took 2 of 3 from your guys, but your team is clearly the top team, at least in our conference. I haven't really checked out the Bobcats yet. Hope to see you in the playoffs! Good luck! [Not that your team needs it. ]
Old 05-28-2019, 09:11 PM   #39
X3NEIZE
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Ah, so you're the Bronx Bombers. Great team! We got lucky and took 2 of 3 from your guys, but your team is clearly the top team, at least in our conference. I haven't really checked out the Bobcats yet. Hope to see you in the playoffs! Good luck! [Not that your team needs it. ]
Good luck and we all need luck, your team has nothing to fear, it can beat any team... the difference between your players in my players is pretty much margin of error.... you have some best in slots, no doubt and the production your getting out of that team is amazing.

Bobcats are elite as well but his pitching is under-performing, should get better tho.

X3NEIZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 12:36 AM   #40
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Senators are 43-10. If this team is winning at a .800+ clip, something is up. I mean, they should usually compete for a playoff spot, but P404 is scraping the bottom of the proverbial barrel. Totally expecting Karma to do its thing and put this team in the WC game and watch the dice roll.

Bellevue and his 22 historical perfects are on cruise control since he up and quit. His FTP team is Omaha Storm Chasers, they're looking at relegation.

LA Rams, Bellevue and Kogarah are the 3 best teams all around; stinks for them to all be piled into the same conference. Chicago is great as well (19 perfects), but their defense is lacking in comparison; will easily make the playoffs tho.

Last edited by pappyzan; 06-26-2019 at 11:05 AM.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote