Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:10 PM   #1
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Season 3 (2021) Discussion: 4/8 - 4/14

I guess it's my turn to start one of these threads.

My Raccoons are 5-4 at the moment and will gradually get better as our defense improves. I'm training multiple guys (7 starters) at new positions (well, 2 were already rated, but not maxed yet) so that's made our defense #15 at the moment, but we should be pretty strong there by the end of the season.

Also, I've gone for high stuff, low movement pitchers this time around since at the lower levels I figured we can just out homer the competition. My top 3 hitters vs RH have 100, 97, 96 power and vs LH 113, 102, 99. When I get to a higher league level, I'll start acquiring high movement guys.

Sam Jones got 13 Ks in 5 IP recently. It's the most K's I've seen in so few innings. In 9 games, we've gotten 4 corner painter achievements (320 PP total). It will be interesting to see how many we can get by season's end.

I also modded my ballpark factors, maxing out AVG and HR (but not gap) so there should be even more high scoring games for our team than last year. Once my defense improves, we should be pretty strong. It will be interesting to see how well this setup can do.

Edit: I just noticed we have 125 Ks (pitching) in 10 games. Obviously, that won't last, but wow! I've never seen so many Ks.

Last edited by old timer; 04-08-2019 at 04:04 PM. Reason: couldn't add 5+4 correctly
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:33 PM   #2
Cheesetruck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

One of my teams is off to a 2-8 start. Yay! :P
Cheesetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
Izz
Hall Of Famer

B'sin'Glou are off to a fast start, 9-3 after 12.

I too am filling my rotation and bullpen with power pitchers. My defense is horrible, so I figure I'd prefer the ball not to be put in play quite as much, even if when it is put in play it's more likely to go over the fence.

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
B'sin'Glou are off to a fast start, 9-3 after 12.

I too am filling my rotation and bullpen with power pitchers. My defense is horrible, so I figure I'd prefer the ball not to be put in play quite as much, even if when it is put in play it's more likely to go over the fence.

This was my thinking too. It's interesting that we both decided separately to design our teams similarly both in PT 1 and PT 2. So I'm curious about your plans for when your team reaches the diamond level? By the time my team reaches that level, they should be a nice balanced team with good defense up the middle, plenty of power and good contact and higher movement pitchers (though still favoring stuff this time around). Also, my offense should continue to be better this time around at the sacrifice of some defense.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:31 PM   #5
W0rmzbr0
Minors (Double A)

My three squads are off to more or less expected starts:

Port Washington Pack Rats (pack-only) are in G307 and have opened the season at 6-8. Their pitching is pretty bad, with only a live Max Scherzer above silver. That said, they're actually holding the fort for now while the offense has struggled. I don't expect this team to get out of gold this season unless I hit some pack luck.

New York Boroughs (eventually NY-only players) are in S280 and have started 9-3 with a share of the division lead. This squad lost the Bronze series last season and have picked up well to start their inaugural silver campaign. The offense is 1st in the conference in runs, AVG, OBP, OPS, and wOBA. Paul O'Neill has already amassed 1.0 WAR in those 12 games. Despite a 5.00 ERA, Whitey Ford has 0.7 WAR in his 3 starts thanks to a 2.54 FIP.

Hoboken Zephyrs (main squad, currently F2P but likely not for much longer) are in B212 and are off and running with a 10-2 record and a 2 game lead in the division. They rank 1st in a number of batting and pitching categories in the conference and already have a +38 run differential.
W0rmzbr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
neugey
All Star Reserve

Like a boss!

(unfortunately I still look the L in this game. And surprisingly this happened without my steals strategy turned all the way up)
Attached Images

PBA - Cincinnati Reds
MLM - Baltimore Orioles
neugey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #7
Warhawk
Major Leagues

White Tigers off to a solid start in first place in their division in G314 at 9-6. We've got the second best ERA and have scored the 6th most runs. Syndergaard is off to a MUCH better start than his disastrous first month and a half or so last season, he's 2-0 in 4 starts with an ERA under 3. Through 15 games Matt Carpenter is hitting .423/.525/.712. Meanwhile my other first baseman, the lowest rated player on my team, Josh Bell, who is the starter against lefties, has a 1.552 OPS (admittedly, in only 14 plate appearances). OTOH Khris Davis is playing like garbage. I have four guys who are all, at least to a degree, primarily left fielders, and I still have no idea how I'm going to set up my DH and LF and OF backup between Pederson, Conforto, Acuna, and Davis, especially since I'm also mixing in Carpenter and Gary Sanchez at DH on occasion.

Black Panthers are 7-7 in B206, only starter with an ERA under 5 is McHugh who's been solid. Aaron Sele's is over 10. Should be a competitive division, nobody really ahead of the pack looking at rosters.

Golden Lions started off 1-5 in B230 and have gone 6-3 since, we're in a division with a team that is 2/3 diamond players so a wild card is really the goal. We're awful hitting - 27th in runs - but we're 4th in defensive efficiency and 3rd in strikeouts, with a respectable ERA. Severino has a 1.78 ERA, Gullet's is 1.40.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:20 PM   #8
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
This was my thinking too. It's interesting that we both decided separately to design our teams similarly both in PT 1 and PT 2. So I'm curious about your plans for when your team reaches the diamond level? By the time my team reaches that level, they should be a nice balanced team with good defense up the middle, plenty of power and good contact and higher movement pitchers (though still favoring stuff this time around). Also, my offense should continue to be better this time around at the sacrifice of some defense.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm hoping to do also, though I'm getting promoted a bit faster than I'd like. I'm probably going to spend the next week or two improving my pitching, as it feels like I mostly have the hitters I need already. Being able to sort the AH by power/eye etc has proven very useful!

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
old timer
Hall Of Famer

We just lost 15-12 in 10 innings, being outhit 19-17 and out-homered 5-4. I'd say my plan is working out pretty well so far, except for one little thing. We need to be on the winning side a little more often.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:29 AM   #10
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

I didn't change any strategy settings but Ty Cobb has already stolen 17 bases this season (compared to 40 last season). He's projecting out to steal 110!

Off to a surprising 17-8 start though in Gold though.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:10 AM   #11
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Looks like Chattanooga is way out of their comfort zone in Gold League, starting the season with a 7-19 record. … The beauty of it all? They also made next to no PP, so no reinforcements inbound via packs any time soon.

The Raccoons' offense went into a slump right away; how bad is it? Walter Johnson has almost as many losses (2) as walks (3) while whiffing 50 and putting up a 1.33 ERA in six starts. The team is at 13-14 at the end of April.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:20 AM   #12
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Leaving my team in Gold .317 with a 7-1 record and when I just checked this morning we're 13-13 ...

Something must have been terribly wrong overnight
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:28 AM   #13
mrbucket
All Star Reserve

@ Westheim Walter Johnson got a pretty tough loss to my team. 1-0 loss and the run he gave up was an unearned one!

Last edited by mrbucket; 04-09-2019 at 01:31 AM.
mrbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
Charlatan
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
My Raccoons are 5-4 at the moment and will gradually get better as our defense improves. I'm training multiple guys (7 starters) at new positions (well, 2 were already rated, but not maxed yet) so that's made our defense #15 at the moment, but we should be pretty strong there by the end of the season.
That is crazy. I don't have the guts to cross train more than 3 guys at once (I flip-flopped 3b and ss, and am training a new left fielder). Not sure what controls the speed at which they pick up skill... Cirillo is taking forever to get his rating up at ss.

Fortunately, it hasn't hampered our other efforts, as the Annandale Atom Smashers started April 19-7.
Charlatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #15
sethisthegoat
Minors (Double A)

Running 3 teams, all in first season in the Iron League. Thankfully, my P2P team, the Ohio Silver Wolves in I169, is running away with things at 23-5 overall. and a solid 6 games in front of anyone else. (was slightly worried as we lost the 1st game...) The team was hurt a little bit by the Live update. Bauer dropped 1 (and isn't actually doing great...) My Matt Carpenter and Jeurys Familia each dropped from a Diamond to a Gold. Starling Marte dropped from an 82 to a 79. And my Steve Cishek dropped from a 72 to a 69. But I've still got 5 diamonds and 14 golds. Hoping the ratings can rebound a little bit...

My other two teams, I'm doing dynasties with. See below link. The Westish Harpooners sit atop their division. It's a F2P team...and their 16-11 record thus far means a little more to me than the above 23-5 team.

And my Indians legends dynasty (also F2P) is sitting right at .500.

I'm not sure what the ceiling is for an Indians Legends dynasty. I've been hoping to get all 3 teams up to the Bronze Leagues this season, but it looks like my two F2P teams will need to pick things up a little bit to do that.

Cleveland Legends, F2P Cleveland-only dynasty

Ohio Silver Wolves, P2P
sethisthegoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:14 PM   #16
lukess1
Bat Boy

I play free and in 19 was unlucky with pulls. This year has been the opposite. I pulled the formerly perfect Sale night 1 and pulled prime Ripken today. My team is in the gold league so having another hitter is really good for me atm.
lukess1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #17
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

We turned this around quickly - after starting 10-3 we went to 15-17 ...
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #18
Warhawk
Major Leagues

I'm starting to feel bad for my Syndergaard, in 8 starts he's held the opponents to 2 or fewer runs 6 times, and 1 or fewer 4 times, and he has a record of 2-0.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #19
Warhawk
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
I'm starting to feel bad for my Syndergaard, in 8 starts he's held the opponents to 2 or fewer runs 6 times, and 1 or fewer 4 times, and he has a record of 2-0.
Just bought some packs and in the first pack was a perfect DeGrom.

Ain't that just the sweetest thing.

EDIT: And DeGrom promptly goes out and pitches 7 innings, gives up 1 earned run on 1 hit and 1 walk with 10 Ks, and gets a no decision. We are the Metsiest Mets who have ever Metsed.

Last edited by Warhawk; 04-09-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:08 PM   #20
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlatan View Post
That is crazy. I don't have the guts to cross train more than 3 guys at once (I flip-flopped 3b and ss, and am training a new left fielder). Not sure what controls the speed at which they pick up skill... Cirillo is taking forever to get his rating up at ss.

Fortunately, it hasn't hampered our other efforts, as the Annandale Atom Smashers started April 19-7.

We have a horrible BABIP of .348, the worst in the entire league, but we're 18-19 due to our offense being very good.

The speed at which guys gain skill depends on how good they are at their position and whether or not they're being trained at a comparable position.

For example, Lou Boudreau is a SS with a 112 DEF and 100,100,100,100 ratings. Because he's so highly skilled, he'll increase his ratings at 2B and 3B (both weren't rated) VERY quickly. I forgot to check with him, but I believe someone this skilled increases his skill in similar positions (any IF position, though height matters for 1B) at the rate of about 2 pts/GS.

Nellie Fox, with a 94 DEF at 2B is increasing his skill at 3B at nearly 1 pt/GS. I'm not sure if just playing at a position helps or if there's a requirement for a certain number of IP.

A while back, Davey Johnson (20 DEF at 2B) had a 19 DEF at 1B (I had already trained him to that level). But now after 36 GS, he's only increased to a 23 (I believe he can train to a 50+, but haven't checked recently). So because Johnson is a terrible IF, he increases in skill VERY slowly even though he's training for an easier position.

The same applies to outfielders. As long as a guy has really good ratings, no matter the position, he'll train quickly at similar positions. So a great RF will train quickly at CF, but a mediocre CF will not train as quickly at LF, even though LF is easier. As an example, Willard Marshall is a 73 at RF and after 34 Gs, he's got a 26 in LF. But when I had Pettis (104 at CF) train in both LF in RF in a previous season, he increased at around 2 pts/G if I remember correctly.

I don't know if the rates slow down as they get closer to their max for that position or not, so I'm not sure if the rate is constant or not. The rates I mentioned were for guys who weren't yet rated or weren't very close to their max ratings. But I don't remember Belanger slowing down when he got maxed at 2B and 3B so I don't think this happens.

By the way, Eddie Mayo, a 112 rated 2B is increasing at SS at about 1.5 pts/G which is slower than Boudreau's (112 at SS) rate of increase at 2B because a 112 2B is only a 99 SS. So in 35 Gs, Mayo has gone from a 0 at SS to a 52. So keep in mind it's not actually the overall defensive rating that matters, it's the individual ratings. Mayo's individual ratings are 94,85,93,95, compared to Boudreau's all 100's.

Edit: I should add that what I wrote above is all conjecture based on training lots of players, but there could still be more going on here than what I can see.

Last edited by old timer; 04-09-2019 at 08:44 PM.
old timer is offline   Reply With Quote