Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:09 AM   #121
ripitback
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Yup, a "Build your own 3D Ballpark" feature... this is extremely hard to do, because it needs to be easy to use and have a lot of possibilities at the same time. And anything 3D is a massive PITA to develop, trust me.

But, it'll be worth it. And this is something that both the core game and PT will benefit from, so everybody wins.
Build your own ballpark sounds amazing.
ripitback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:58 AM   #122
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Unless something has changed I don't think MLB even has a schedule application? My understanding is the schedule is built by humans. If that's true I'd think they'd pay Markus a nice sum if he could come up with something that worked.
They were made by humans until a few years ago. Here's a video about the people who made the schedule. http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=9897968

Sure does seem like a lot of work and one that I don't envy
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #123
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
I want an 11 game world series option with 1-2 doubleheader day.
that is decisive champion : )
You could do that under the system I have in mind, because you'd be setting it up yourself. Want doubleheaders in your playoff schedule? Put 'em in. Want best-of-11? Put that in as your series length. (I would even include series lengths used in other sports, e.g. the two game, total points/goals series and the 'best-of-two' series used by the AHL, although that one would raise a few questions for baseball statistics tracking.)

I've even incorporated conditional playoff qualifiers. That's when an extra team makes the playoffs based on whether certain conditions are met. For example, the Mexican League nominal playoff format called for the top four teams from each division to make the post-season. However, if the fifth place team in a division finished three games behind or less of the fourth place team, then that fifth place team also qualified and played the fourth place team in a special elimination game to determine the team moving on to the full playoff stage. You'd be able to recreate that sort of thing. Full and true double elimination-style play is also doable.

In short, if you can imagine it, you could probably recreate it. (Although until enough people are up to speed on the system, I'd probably be the one having to create the playoff files. That's the price for having a truly flexible and nearly open-ended playoff format creation.)
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #124
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Unless something has changed I don't think MLB even has a schedule application? My understanding is the schedule is built by humans. If that's true I'd think they'd pay Markus a nice sum if he could come up with something that worked.
It used to be. But then computer software customized for the purpose of creating schedules got a lot better, and now I think it's largely done by computer. (At least, that was the case as of some years ago.)

The NFL's schedule is almost entirely built by specialized software. It spits out hundreds of options based on input requirements, and then the league officials select the one they prefer most.

Note that the software for these is highly tailored to the purpose. There's lots of math behind it. The main power of the computer is its ability to crank out hundreds or even thousands of potential schedules based on input variables in a short amount of time. Sooner or later one of those outputs will be satisfactory.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:23 AM   #125
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
It used to be. But then computer software customized for the purpose of creating schedules got a lot better, and now I think it's largely done by computer. (At least, that was the case as of some years ago.)

The NFL's schedule is almost entirely built by specialized software. It spits out hundreds of options based on input requirements, and then the league officials select the one they prefer most.

Note that the software for these is highly tailored to the purpose. There's lots of math behind it. The main power of the computer is its ability to crank out hundreds or even thousands of potential schedules based on input variables in a short amount of time. Sooner or later one of those outputs will be satisfactory.
Yeah, scheduling is a crazy hard program, especially trying to fit in custom demands (ie. Toronto wants to play at home on Canada Day, and then factoring in when teams need to avoid being at home or on the road for other scheduling concerns). And then to make sure it gets balanced, so you're not having Seattle play in Miami this weekend, go back home for 2 days, and then take a trip to Tampa the next weekend, etc...
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 12:22 PM   #126
Salmon
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConStar View Post

2) The ability to uncouple the draft class from the game so that you could upload draft classes into games started under older versions of OOTP and subsequently upgraded. What's going to happen to me when 20 comes out is that I'm still going to be playing a league I started in OOTP13 and have since upgraded to 14, 15, etc., as I've bought the new versions. I don't want to restart the game in 20 as I would lose my universe. But I'm increasingly having to deal with fictional players, because I don't have access anymore to the real draft classes. There are some guys playing MLB right now that aren't in my game at all. So I need the functionality to be able to merge the OOTP20 draft class into an upgraded OOTP13 game, played under OOTP20. s.

I totally agree with this suggestion but would also want to include the importing of international free agent draft classes as well.
While I am at it, why not allow trades that could include interational bonus money.
Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Salmon; 02-02-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Salmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #127
whaleheader
Minors (Triple A)

Being able to export/import international free agents classes (like the amateur draft classes can be manipulated now) would be really nice.

Another feature addition would be the ability for online league members to propose offers to AI teams to create a framework for deals. I'm not suggesting they be able to submit them, mind you. Instead they'd be able to work out the framework of a tentative deal which would then need to be submitted by the Commissioner (and approved by the AI in the Commissioner's copy).

Another feature requested by my league members is the ability to run a deal proposal by your team's assistant GM to get his opinion on an offer.
whaleheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #128
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Yeah, scheduling is a crazy hard program, especially trying to fit in custom demands (ie. Toronto wants to play at home on Canada Day, and then factoring in when teams need to avoid being at home or on the road for other scheduling concerns). And then to make sure it gets balanced, so you're not having Seattle play in Miami this weekend, go back home for 2 days, and then take a trip to Tampa the next weekend, etc...
With the added complication in terms of OOTP being that it would need to deal with a lot of different league set ups.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:26 PM   #129
walt526
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Every year i hope for Inside the Park Baseball feature builtin OOTP...maybe I'm in the minority but I will continue to hope each season

Agreed. An ITP mode would enhance the game so much more than Perfect Team, IMHO. Or even make it a separate game. It would make a good mobile game. It's really too bad that you can't even purchase the original ITP anymore. Anyway, given the popularity of RTTS on MLB the Show (despite SDS' best attempts to sabotage it), there's definitely a market for it.
walt526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:17 PM   #130
david limbaugh
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmere14 View Post
For us older guys, wish you had come around even earlier!!!!!!
DITTO!

I found you with OOTP 4 - fun times!

Thank You for staying around 20 years!
Old 02-03-2019, 10:24 PM   #131
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

I once tried to make a Python program that would make OOTP schedules. It ... didn't go well.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #132
mtlcash
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Any word if financials will be upgraded this year? Great to make money, but would like to see more options to spend and better use that aspect of the game. Maybe like ways to upgrade facilities/training/ etc..
mtlcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:27 AM   #133
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Will Cuba and Australia leagues be fixed? Since Australia produces MLB draft level talent.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #134
SteveCox
Minors (Single A)

I bought the original...and most since...I'll be getting this one.
Steve

Colorado Rockies - MLB Pro (2012)
NY Mets - CDBL (retired)
Arizona D'backs - PSBL (retired)

Like Vodka? www.adirondackdistilling.com
SteveCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 12:14 PM   #135
Auk14HP
Bat Boy

Scouts looking to get any development this year? It'd be nice if you got more accurate reports when you assigned a scout a task of looking at a player. As it stands, I think the scout just comes back the next day and gives you back the same, old report.
Auk14HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #136
CanadaCajanek21
Minors (Double A)

After just finding out that Steam takes 30% of all sales, I feel horrible for buying through Steam the last couple years instead of directly through the website.
CanadaCajanek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #137
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCajanek21 View Post
After just finding out that Steam takes 30% of all sales, I feel horrible for buying through Steam the last couple years instead of directly through the website.
Don't worry too much. As long as you're playing and enjoying the game, we don't care too much about which platform you buy through

[FYI, the more people that buy through Steam, the higher our rankings are there, which helps more people see the game, which helps us sell more copies. So if you buy it and play it through Steam, you're passively helping us sell more copies overall anyways. Whether that makes up for the gap in cut we get from the sales, I can't tell you.]
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:21 PM   #138
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Yup, a "Build your own 3D Ballpark" feature... this is extremely hard to do, because it needs to be easy to use and have a lot of possibilities at the same time. And anything 3D is a massive PITA to develop, trust me.

But, it'll be worth it. And this is something that both the core game and PT will benefit from, so everybody wins.
We'll still be able to use SketchUp to create stadiums outside the game, right?

And that reminds me, will we be able to have properly colored seats with the 3D crowds with user-generated parks? Right now, all of the parks the community creates are limited to green seats with the 3D crowd. That's fine for some parks, but not every park has green seats.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:46 PM   #139
WIUPIKE
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Will Cuba and Australia leagues be fixed? Since Australia produces MLB draft level talent.
This is easily adjustable in your universe by adjusting the player modifiers for the league. If you copy over another international league should yield the results you are looking for.
WIUPIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #140
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIUPIKE View Post
This is easily adjustable in your universe by adjusting the player modifiers for the league. If you copy over another international league should yield the results you are looking for.
Not if you play in challenge mode. Its a huge problem. And I always have challenge mode active.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote