Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #1
Frogwise
Bat Boy

Fictional leagues with shorter schedule

I was thinking of creating a league with a 42 game regular season and I have some questions about how the game will handle that.

1. Will the games be spread out with like a 4 day break in between? I'm interested in this because more rest days would allow me to reduce the pitcher rotation down to 2/3. Which leads to my next question:
2. If I set the league-wide pitcher rotation setting to less, will the game acknowledge the lesser need for pitchers and generate less of them upon creating the game?
3. My third question is about the playoffs. If I still chose to have best of 7 series, will it be scheduled in a small window like the current MLB, limiting rest days and ruining my smaller pitching rotation idea? Or is there a way to schedule them over a longer time period?

As you can probably tell, I'm kind of expecting this experiment to fail, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else had tried it before I put the work into testing it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm still on OOTP 18, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by Frogwise; 04-09-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Frogwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwise View Post
I was thinking of creating a league with a 42 game regular season and I have some questions about how the game will handle that.

1. Will the games be spread out with like a 4 day break in between? I'm interested in this because more rest days would allow me to reduce the pitcher rotation down to 2/3. Which leads to my next question:
2. If I set the league-wide pitcher rotation setting to less, will the game acknowledge the lesser need for pitchers and generate less of them upon creating the game?
3. My third question is about the playoffs. If I still chose to have best of 7 series, will it be scheduled in a small window like the current MLB, limiting rest days and ruining my smaller pitching rotation idea? Or is there a way to schedule them over a longer time period?

As you can probably tell, I'm kind of expecting this experiment to fail, so I thought I'd ask if anyone else had tried it before I put the work into testing it.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I'm still on OOTP 18, if that makes any difference.
I can speak to 1 and 3.
1. No. Generating the schedule will not get you the results that you are looking for. You should check the OOTP Mods Schedules forum to see if a schedule fits what you are looking for. You can also make a request.

3. Playoffs will be scheduled like MLB. You can manually edit the playoff schedule though.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #3
discodude5
Major Leagues

I have a fictional league with an 81 game schedule.
It loaded a matching schedule and doesn't spread out games.

There may be an easier way to mass edit the schedule.

#1-From doing some work on moving games around in another league where I wanted a couple extra off days it seems like it would be some effort for this but it should be possible.
The good news is you are trying to set it up for 42 games not 162 so it will be much easier.

You would have to delete a series, then add that series later probably moving all series on those days to the new days so you avoid having a team playing two different teams on the same day.

In the edit league schedule there is an action button, report evaluation that you can use to make sure each team has the 42 games when your done.

#3-I don't have experience with manually scheduling playoffs but on the schedule editor you can add them so it seems like you could make them spread out like you want.

You should make a test league, try deleting and adding just a couple of series and see how things look when you're playing regular season games in what was originally playoff time and then try manually scheduling playoffs. See when the trade deadline and roster expansion should be moved to.
One concern would be any of the offseason events like free agency conflicting with the longer season so testing is needed.
discodude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Tons of schedules available here - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=249096
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 09:18 AM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

#2 is a toughy... i would hope it scales to sesttings -- make sure to change rotation size for the league. may want to add 1 to rp or bench etc, so it still adds up to 25 or whatever you want. same settings area.

if you leave those things unchanged, almost certainly wn't change what's made. since it offers a varied rotation size, i'd assume it changes ratio of created players accordingly. someone with more historic experience with different size rotations could attest to that.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-10-2018 at 09:20 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #6
mm7607
All Star Reserve

Sometimes I run a 40 game schedule. I made all the scheds for 8 team to 32 team leagues. Took awhile but using notepad++ made it easier. I used 20 player rosters with 5 pitchers. This version doesn't seem to follow any rule except 'strict rotation' no matter how I set up the staff or what settings I use, so I've given up on it for now. I always turned off auto free agents because the game always generated too many so I would create them as I went. I also used 7 gm playoffs and it worked always worked fine.
mm7607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:24 PM   #7
Mets52
Minors (Double A)

Has anyone ever tried a double header schedule? Is it even possible? With larger rosters, I don't see why you couldn't do 162 games over 90ish days (rest days) using double headers. I'm thinking this would be an interesting league for 24/25 and under, for those sitting in FA, max 1 year deals for development.
Mets52 is offline   Reply With Quote