Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Offseason Discount! SAVE 50%!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #61
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter
 
SirMichaelJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,916
Thanks: 1,913
Thanked 911x in 553 posts
The Annual Settings Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
Never thought about it that way. makes sense.


I use 2-8 with very low scouting accuracy.

Considering ratings are on a 1-250 scale, it's hardly "knowing" the the talent.

I do turn star ratings off though but that is only the OCD in me as it bothers me when the potential rating is lower than the current.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 03-30-2016 at 08:07 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #62
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,150
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,372
Thanked 2,140x in 1,220 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dem Bums View Post
Dumb question: Does lowering AI trading frequency impact the AI's willingness to trade with a human player or does it only impact AI to AI trades?
Supposedly the answer is "no" however, based on my own experience, I've seen a big reduction in AI trade proposals to me on this rating...could be coincidence, long and short of it..."I don't know"
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:12 PM   #63
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer
 
PSUColonel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,150
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 1,372
Thanked 2,140x in 1,220 posts
I don't use star ratings either....I feel they just drive you nuts
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:29 AM   #64
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,053x in 2,607 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Uk View Post
I'm assuming yes, but do you set the AI to sabremetric lineups? I'm wondering with the AI not considering the actual ratings whether it might get too much into platooning for example by almost micromanaging the sabremetrics to the nth degree

Also are you hitting the recalculate Gm tendencies based on these weights. Again I assume so.
No. Yes.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Matt Uk (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:19 AM   #65
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)
 
Silent_Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 232
Thanks: 117
Thanked 131x in 71 posts
I will also point out, not quite a settings thing, but the best way to really get into your fictional league is to take the extra step and design home & away unis and a cap for your teams. I've done so for the United Baseball Federation that I'm starting in the 1920s, and while the uniforms aren't actually period accurate, I feel it helps you grow attached to your league.

For instance, one of the teams in my league that my Brooklyn IronWorkers might face if we ever enact cross league play is the Jackson Firemen, who along with the Ironworkers, and two other teams, trace their pre-league history to being "works" teams before they turned professional on the barnstorming circuit.

(Note: Players are not the ones in the league as I was just messing with photo generations and didn't double check league settings)




Minors however, will stick with the Nickname Project addon uniforms, because that's way too much work for teams you won't grow too attached to regardless.

But for the Majors, it's just that extra touch of personal connection you don't get from downloaded uniforms. And, because I can't take full credit for making these, here are the actual tools to do it yourself.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...y-creator.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...p-creator.html
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:51 AM   #66
bigsmooth
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 372
Thanks: 45
Thanked 36x in 30 posts
I have been following this post, and find it very interesting. While I haven't made the switch yet to stats only; I may in the future just to get a feel.

So what particular stats do you look at most for batters/pitchers?

What do you rely on - Scouting information, stats, and the description of the player?

With having the stars and ratings on, don't you figure it is like an actual real life scouting report? Just curious - but this has become a great thread!
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #67
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer
 
Syd Thrift's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,194
Thanks: 386
Thanked 914x in 452 posts
Well, first up star ratings don't really exist anywhere in regular baseball. I would actually be amenable to a scouting system that was a. based almost entirely on stats and b. was even more specifically based on an actual observation by a scout going to see a guy play (so that a guy going 9-12 over a series would be rated better than a guy going 1-12), but that's not really how OOTP ratings work. Even when you make scouts base ratings 100% on stats, ratings still creep in on the margins (and then of course there's that issue with the algorithms used for contact. etc. for historical leagues that I mentioned).

It is also, as has been mentioned, *significantly* harder just because you don't have those easy to see 20-80 or whatever ratings, but in a fun way that requires you to really learn about your league.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodgman
I didn't know that a dinosaur could do that much cocaine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn
You bastard....
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
2 thanks for this post:
bigsmooth (03-31-2016), The Wolf (04-01-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 11:34 AM   #68
TwinsGuy11
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 208
Thanks: 52
Thanked 79x in 49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskelly View Post
What I never understood is, when you give like 50% weight to current year stats, but it's 10 games into the season, how does the computer handle it?
This is something I'm wondering and it may be the reason the Wolf said not to use it in a league where you know more than the computer.

Perfect example is I'm currently in late April with my Twins and am 15-3 (we're on a crazy hot streak somehow).

Ricky Nolasco is like 3-0 with a 1.25 era. I obviously no that he's utter crap and want to take advantage of his hot start at some point. I just checked for trades and one offer was for Jameson Taillon. Obviously this is an insane trade for the Pirates so I can't bring myself to do it.

Maybe in a scenario where you know too much about existing player you put a higher weight on previous years?

Something like:

0
45
33
22
TwinsGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:46 PM   #69
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter
 
SirMichaelJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,916
Thanks: 1,913
Thanked 911x in 553 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Well, first up star ratings don't really exist anywhere in regular baseball. I would actually be amenable to a scouting system that was a. based almost entirely on stats and b. was even more specifically based on an actual observation by a scout going to see a guy play (so that a guy going 9-12 over a series would be rated better than a guy going 1-12), but that's not really how OOTP ratings work. Even when you make scouts base ratings 100% on stats, ratings still creep in on the margins (and then of course there's that issue with the algorithms used for contact. etc. for historical leagues that I mentioned).



It is also, as has been mentioned, *significantly* harder just because you don't have those easy to see 20-80 or whatever ratings, but in a fun way that requires you to really learn about your league.


Well scout do use an OVR grade (numbers not stars and it's 20-80 with increments of 1) but I am not sure if they use these for vets. They might for all we know.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Anyone (04-14-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:50 PM   #70
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter
 
SirMichaelJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,916
Thanks: 1,913
Thanked 911x in 553 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsGuy11 View Post
This is something I'm wondering and it may be the reason the Wolf said not to use it in a league where you know more than the computer.



Perfect example is I'm currently in late April with my Twins and am 15-3 (we're on a crazy hot streak somehow).



Ricky Nolasco is like 3-0 with a 1.25 era. I obviously no that he's utter crap and want to take advantage of his hot start at some point. I just checked for trades and one offer was for Jameson Taillon. Obviously this is an insane trade for the Pirates so I can't bring myself to do it.



Maybe in a scenario where you know too much about existing player you put a higher weight on previous years?



Something like:



0

45

33

22


I put a min of 25% on past years.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #71
TwinsGuy11
Minors (Triple A)
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 208
Thanks: 52
Thanked 79x in 49 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I put a min of 25% on past years.
Good to know. I think it's possible to has a successful stats only current day league, but it's just a matter of finding the right combination of evaluation.
TwinsGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:58 PM   #72
SirMichaelJordan
All Star Starter
 
SirMichaelJordan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,916
Thanks: 1,913
Thanked 911x in 553 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinsGuy11 View Post
Good to know. I think it's possible to has a successful stats only current day league, but it's just a matter of finding the right combination of evaluation.


More than ever now because it changes with each person. The setting is like a base now. If you give 10% or 5% to 2 years ago stats, some guys would have it at 0. Same with having 0% for ratings, it doesn't stop all guys from weighting ratings.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 PM   #73
koohead
Hall Of Famer
 
koohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,308
Thanks: 386
Thanked 269x in 175 posts
Has anyone who started a new "stats only" universe see a bunch of good players get dropped on waivers early in the game? I created a brand new game and filled teams with fictional players. AI evaluation set to 0 on ratings, and simmed through spring training. all good. first week of the regular season alot of players went on waivers and got picked up by other clubs. the rash of news stories is what alerted me to it, and then looking into the players who went on waivers there was a ton of talent there (ok, I cheated and looked at ratings). any suggestions on how to prevent this?
__________________
OOTP18.... I can finally implement Winter Leagues!

GM - NC Clippers of the NPBL;
koohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:01 PM   #74
bigsmooth
Major Leagues
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 372
Thanks: 45
Thanked 36x in 30 posts
I seen the same thing, I didn't take away stars or ratings --- but when I made those changes discussed in this thread --- I immediately saw a number of players - including Wade Davis placed on waivers. What causes this?
bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:39 AM   #75
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer
 
The Wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: All alone
Posts: 12,612
Thanks: 1,790
Thanked 5,053x in 2,607 posts
Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Different GM's value different things, and scouts are of variable quality, and your scouting should be on low or very low accuracy. So the GM gets a crappy scouting report on Joe Schmoe and cuts him in reposnse. Meanwhile another GM gets a really good scouting report on him and signs him.

In other words: the AI GM's are doing the same thing that you are, trying to figure out who the hell is good and who the hell isn't, because easy mode ratings data isn't there anymore. Welcome to increased realism.
__________________
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:58 AM   #76
koohead
Hall Of Famer
 
koohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 2,308
Thanks: 386
Thanked 269x in 175 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
In other words: the AI GM's are doing the same thing that you are, trying to figure out who the hell is good and who the hell isn't, because easy mode ratings data isn't there anymore. Welcome to increased realism.
I buy that to an extent. My only hesitation and reservation with that explanation is the AI has 0 stats to evaluate talent on in year 1. No current stats, no stats from last year, and no stats from 2 years ago. So the only thing the AI can evaluate a player on is ratings, and scouting reports. I get the low scouting accuracy part I guess...
eh..it's year one. 10 years into the sim it won't matter.
__________________
OOTP18.... I can finally implement Winter Leagues!

GM - NC Clippers of the NPBL;
koohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:53 AM   #77
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)
 
Silent_Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 232
Thanks: 117
Thanked 131x in 71 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koohead View Post
I buy that to an extent. My only hesitation and reservation with that explanation is the AI has 0 stats to evaluate talent on in year 1. No current stats, no stats from last year, and no stats from 2 years ago. So the only thing the AI can evaluate a player on is ratings, and scouting reports. I get the low scouting accuracy part I guess...
eh..it's year one. 10 years into the sim it won't matter.
Technically you should be giving the save a "head start" of a few seasons, if you catch my drift, but many, myself included for my latest save, ignore that. Even 5 years into the sim won't matter anymore though, as 2 or 3 seasons are all you, and the AI, need to start forming a partial picture about a player. It's just at game launch the AI is completely blind, and since the AI is a box of math, it gets a little weird without inputs.

Last edited by Silent_Thunder; 04-01-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #78
24Rocks
All Star Reserve
 
24Rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 642
Thanks: 430
Thanked 136x in 103 posts
Been playing this game since I was 12 Slowly but surely will end up trying stats only, Came down form 1-100 about 6 versions ago Right now im at 1-20 LOL but I have been using for a while 30/40/20/10 Average Neutral TC 100

I dont like the AI when I changed the favors or difficulty it just made it to hard IMO to negotiate.
I use House rules If I wouldn't make the trade if I was the Other team then deal even if other team is saying complete trade I either add spec to trade to make it more fair or I back out.
__________________
Jonny

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-) 2650-2854 (.481)
Wild Card:7
Division Titles: 4
Pennants: 2020
2037 Lost WCS

NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen (2057-) 1953-1985 (.496)
Wild Card: 9
Division Titles: 2
Pennants:2062,2073,2076
2080 Lost LSF
Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
Follow my Fictional universe
TWITCH YOUTUBE
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:25 AM   #79
Silent_Thunder
Minors (Triple A)
 
Silent_Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 232
Thanks: 117
Thanked 131x in 71 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24Rocks View Post
Been playing this game since I was 12 Slowly but surely will end up trying stats only, Came down form 1-100 about 6 versions ago Right now im at 1-20 LOL but I have been using for a while 30/40/20/10 Average Neutral TC 100

I dont like the AI when I changed the favors or difficulty it just made it to hard IMO to negotiate.
I use House rules If I wouldn't make the trade if I was the Other team then deal even if other team is saying complete trade I either add spec to trade to make it more fair or I back out.
For the record, 20-80 (the new default) is less granular than 1-20 as it goes by 5 point steps, and is similar to the ratings used on scouting cards.

Last edited by Silent_Thunder; 04-01-2016 at 02:25 AM. Reason: grammer and spelling
Silent_Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:43 AM   #80
24Rocks
All Star Reserve
 
24Rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 642
Thanks: 430
Thanked 136x in 103 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Thunder View Post
For the record, 20-80 (the new default) is less granular than 1-20 as it goes by 5 point steps, and is similar to the ratings used on scouting cards.
My Dad has been telling me for years move to 1-5 I just dont want the change to be to drastic 20-80 does sound interesting I do use it for player value
In all my test leagues I used this It is still very confusing to my brain as I used 1-100 for so many years but ya it is on my list of things to try.


Side note looking reading old thread about this exact topic I came across a post by The wolf 4 years ago saying he wants to try stats only look at what 4 years does, a few other people have said It makes OOTP so much more frustrating/enjoyable as well.
I love this sort of immersion in Games I might try a small league of stats only.
__________________
Jonny

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-) 2650-2854 (.481)
Wild Card:7
Division Titles: 4
Pennants: 2020
2037 Lost WCS

NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen (2057-) 1953-1985 (.496)
Wild Card: 9
Division Titles: 2
Pennants:2062,2073,2076
2080 Lost LSF
Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
Follow my Fictional universe
TWITCH YOUTUBE

Last edited by 24Rocks; 04-01-2016 at 02:44 AM.
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments