Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test > FHM - Beta Bug Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #1
CeeBee
Minors (Double A)

Coaching Issues

Is it possible to hire a head coach and not be the head coach myself. In the available personnel there are head coaches but if I try to sign one I can't.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
Is it possible to hire a head coach and not be the head coach myself. In the available personnel there are head coaches but if I try to sign one I can't.
No, you're always the GM/Head Coach.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
lightz
Minors (Single A)

You can hire (or create) a great assistant that takes care of the head coach stuff like, lines, tactics and so on.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Tompa8989
Minors (Single A)

You should defininitly change that...
You GOT to have the option to ONLY be the GM...
Old 03-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
batdad
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tompa8989 View Post

Absolutely agree. And this comes from a guy who in EHM played with coaching a ton.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

Also agree...Later, I can't wait to start in 1950 and build as many dynasties as I can over the decades but I don't want to have to deal with the piddly day-to-day stuff...also, if I'm coach, then I don't want to worry about the hire/firing and contracts...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:30 AM   #7
lightz
Minors (Single A)

You can do that already, just that it isn't the head coach but the assistant that takes care of the head coach stuff.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM   #8
Maplicito
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightz View Post
You can do that already, just that it isn't the head coach but the assistant that takes care of the head coach stuff.
Not particularly well though. And it's really not the same. When players are injured, the game often wants me to make the lineup changes instead of the assistant - and players will just sit as healthy scratches until I change up the lineup myself. Also, a big part of GMing is finding that right head coach who will take your players the rest of the way. Just leaving it to the assistants just isn't the same.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #9
Tompa8989
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maplicito View Post
Not particularly well though. And it's really not the same. When players are injured, the game often wants me to make the lineup changes instead of the assistant - and players will just sit as healthy scratches until I change up the lineup myself. Also, a big part of GMing is finding that right head coach who will take your players the rest of the way. Just leaving it to the assistants just isn't the same.
This!

One of the aspect of being the GM is finding the right head coach.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
This!

One of the aspect of being the GM is finding the right head coach.
...and trying not to do the WAS thing and fire a good man...Bruce Boudreau and ANA must be laughing their butts off these days...
Old 03-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #11
batdad
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpusTheFowl View Post
...and trying not to do the WAS thing and fire a good man...Bruce Boudreau and ANA must be laughing their butts off these days...

All about the shelf life. Some teams (Buffalo with Ruff, possibly Vancouver with AV) keep coaches too long. Players stop listening. Same as how husbands stop listening to their wives....bla bla bla is all you hear after awhile, and the team gets stale.

So Boudreau may be a great coach, could be best ever (not bloody likely) and no matter what...team will not listen anymore. That was clearly the case in Washington. So now...Anaheim gets him, and he is doing fine. Eventually they will stop listening to. Just a matter of when.

So back to FHM....this is something I hope that WAY WAY down the road gets implemented (For now I hope just to have ability to hire a head coach)....that the coaches eventually wear thin on players on the team, and eventually the players do not perform as well...and eventually you have to let the coach go, or the coach has to change his methods and grow himself or herself.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
OpusTheFowl
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by batdad View Post
All about the shelf life. Some teams (Buffalo with Ruff, possibly Vancouver with AV) keep coaches too long. Players stop listening. Same as how husbands stop listening to their wives....bla bla bla is all you hear after awhile, and the team gets stale.

So Boudreau may be a great coach, could be best ever (not bloody likely) and no matter what...team will not listen anymore. That was clearly the case in Washington. So now...Anaheim gets him, and he is doing fine. Eventually they will stop listening to. Just a matter of when.
I like you husband/wife analogy but the bold bit got me curious...

WAS Win record
07-08: 60.6%
08-09: 60.9%
09-10: 65.8%
10-11: 58.5%
11-12: 54.5%
11-12: 50.0% (Dale Hunter)
12-13: 45.4% (Adam Oates)
ANA Win Record
10-11: 57.3% (Randy Carlyle)
11-12: 29.1% (Randy Carlyle)
11-12: 46.5%
12-13: 72.7%

I would humble suggest that Brian was a scapegoats as the problems with the Capitals are just getting worse...statistically speaking. The Ducks are quickly pulling out of their nosedive seen while under Carlyle.

Bruce was not the problem at WAS...but he couldn't solve it either so...

Last edited by OpusTheFowl; 03-08-2013 at 03:02 PM.