Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
johnd24_42
Minors (Single A)

Using league with contemporary team - use salary cap as well?

First of all, I apologize - I posted this in the general forum as well, but this question might be better placed in the newbies thread.

A few of my buddies were looking to create a league using the OOTP version 5 game. But they wanted to do a league with all current players. I'm wondering how leagues do this in the sense that who would ever want to be GM of the Pirates of the Kansas City Royals without a salary cap?

I was just wondering what some of the standard rules were for OOTP leagues using Version 5 about this. It seems like it would be natural that to have an enjoyable league there would have to be a salary cap?

If anyone can help, I'd be very appreciative. This is a key subject in getting the league off the ground.
johnd24_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd24_42
First of all, I apologize - I posted this in the general forum as well, but this question might be better placed in the newbies thread.

A few of my buddies were looking to create a league using the OOTP version 5 game. But they wanted to do a league with all current players. I'm wondering how leagues do this in the sense that who would ever want to be GM of the Pirates of the Kansas City Royals without a salary cap?

I was just wondering what some of the standard rules were for OOTP leagues using Version 5 about this. It seems like it would be natural that to have an enjoyable league there would have to be a salary cap?

If anyone can help, I'd be very appreciative. This is a key subject in getting the league off the ground.
Well, it's all a matter of preferences. For some, Kansas City would be a big challenge. But there's no question, it's sometimes difficult to get GMs who would like to do that.

Many online fictional leagues use salary caps for just that reason - to level the playing field.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
johnd24_42
Minors (Single A)

i would imagine with a new league, this would be a lot to ask, but that said, i'm absolutely ignorant about this game and it's intracacies.

with that, i'm also completely ignorant right now about the game's financial model, and i need to read the game's manual about that and play the game so i can actually understand it and see if a salary cap is still an important thing.

i can't see why any league would play with contemporary teams/players and without a salary cap though. but hopefully the financial system can lend some light on that.
johnd24_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 AM   #4
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
i would imagine with a new league, this would be a lot to ask, but that said, i'm absolutely ignorant about this game and it's intracacies.

with that, i'm also completely ignorant right now about the game's financial model, and i need to read the game's manual about that and play the game so i can actually understand it and see if a salary cap is still an important thing.

i can't see why any league would play with contemporary teams/players and without a salary cap though. but hopefully the financial system can lend some light on that.
Well, many leagues play without the cap because they are attempting to duplicate MLB as closely as possible, and there is no cap in MLB. Often times, new leagues like this will try to arrange for GMs in advance. Alternately, some leagues pick all of the GMs, and then hold a "draft" where GMs are selected in random order, and can pick the team they want.

Like I said, some people out there enjoy the challenge.

If you are thinking of creating a league, I definitely think it's smart to play around with the game in solo mode first. Another possibility is to create a "scratch league" with your friends first. Just create a fictional league, and play it for a few seasons to see how it works. Use that experience to make decisions about how you want to configure your "real" league.

Good luck, anyway!
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:33 PM   #5
Boozie1580
All Star Starter

Quote:

The same reason people start a dynasty in Total College Basketball with Savannah State. Many people play games like this for the challenge of "building up" a team or program.

Boozie1580 is offline   Reply With Quote