Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:05 PM   #1
Dodger1
Minors (Double A)

Minor League Question

I have been micro managing all my minor league teams. It has been getting too time consuming so I decided to let the minor league managers/asst gym handle the minors. It’s gotten pretty ridiculous.

I have limits set for the number of position players and pitchers. The pitchers are no real problem (tho sometimes they demote guys doing great fo no obvious reason) but the position players are crazy. I’ve seen teams with three catchers (none of who, play other positions) six outfielders (none of whom can play infield) two guys who play 1b/3b and only two middle infielders. Injuries wind up with catchers or left handed ofs playing short. Is there any way you can require a reasonable roster as far as position coverage without manually running every team?
Dodger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 10:02 PM   #2
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

If you let your minor league managers handle lineups you won't have to worry about coverage due to injuries or fatigue. Promotions, demotions, signings, and releases are a different story. If you want something done right, do it yourself and that takes some effort. I check my minor leagues at least twice a month (in game sim time) to see how guys are doing and whether or not a move of some kind has to be made. I find that very fun, I love that part of the game. Others mileage may vary.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:27 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

when i micromanage, i make some custom views under player list -> minor league players.

first, i go through jan 1 and apply my mil rules per leage level -- custom filter per level.

I then promotote/demote my more important prospects -- those with a high enough ceiling to make the MLB or worthwhile as a trade asset. These are in custom lists, but they are in all caps, so easy to spot just about anywhere.

after i have the 'musts' done, i can work on filling in gaps. i start top-down on SP / RP. with the custom filters i can drop down a level and with my custom view i see yrs svc and age - for related rules. in general i take the older player, but isn't always neccessary.

with batters, i'll sometimes use the lineups screen, too. you could do views for each position, but i try to do a whole team at once. e.g. i need 1 2b, 2 3b a ss and 2 corner of to fill out... then drop down a level and promote the oldest or best qualified if it doesn't cause a lack of players at that position in the next year or 2 etc.

just do the must be done stuff, first. then your important players, then fill in gaps. least amount of work possible. fill from top-down... apply rules and promote your important prospects any which way you want.

if 3/4ths are moving along mostly based on your rules, you will have guaranteed better records in your mil system than if the ai did things. i don't control lineups, but if you further controlled this, it would further improve the records. i do spot force start SP that i prefer and my more important prospects definitely get attention -- even their individual strategy screen to match their ability.

i do it jan 1 because the service time column updates then, but simple enough to "+1" before that but after season too.

roster coverage... if you have increased roster sizes, this tends to get a bit funky. as long as there is enough, there is very little to no problem. make sure the higher potential guys are prefered startes in the settings for that league level.

in the settigns you can tell it to have an extra RP, sp or batter, but you can say which batter. that's just going to be dependent onthe excess draft picks that make it that far. some teams may have 10 first basement in some cases. roster rules, sizes , et al., can help influence this a bit. if the ai has to move or cut to fit the rules, i'm pretty sure the extra 1st baseman are one of the first to be cut or moved... i hope.

Last edited by NoOne; 08-22-2019 at 11:34 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger1 View Post
Is there any way you can require a reasonable roster as far as position coverage without manually running every team?
Not really. though if you don't want to manage your system yourself, you could just lock the players you care about so you at least can control their development

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #5
nielsoncp
All Star Reserve

In the Effectively Wild OOTP facebook group Adam Dyck (don't know your user name in here Adam, sorry...) posted this long treatise about managing your minor leagues. I've been following it pretty closely this year, and I'm finding that I have more success in developing minor leaguers. If you're looking for a less time consuming way to manage your minors this is worth a try:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
nielsoncp is offline   Reply With Quote