Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:06 AM   #1
BrendenSox12
Bat Boy

Financial settings: How to get realistic salaries/payroll

Hi, I was wondering how I should set up my financial settings to have player salaries and team payrolls stay in line with how they currently are and then progressively expand due to in inflation.

I haven't touched my financial settings at all and I'm in the year 2029. The highest paid player (still Mike Trout, haha) is only making $30 million a year followed by $29.2M, $28, $28, $27.4, $26.2....

Not only are salaries not getting larger, they are regressing.

The same goes for payrolls:
1. $205M
2. $195M
3. $192M
4. $173M
5. $165M

Average team revenue is $189M right now. What can I set inflation to to get things moving upward again and what else could I do?
BrendenSox12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

It's hard to suggest anything with so little information. Posting a screenshot of the financial tab would help... There are other changes one could make that might impact financials (on the Rules tab and the Players tab) that might impact this in the long run, but again with no info, it's hard to do.

Just bumping inflation is imo a mistake to "fix" a problem that is caused elsewhere.

Last edited by Drstrangelove; 01-01-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

rising tide lifts all boats... add revenue.

go slowly and wait a while before coming to any conclusions. old contracts can take upto 10 years to renew -- whether that aging player or some new equivalent in proper proportions etc etc....

how you add revenue can have different effects. is it spread out or skewed toward top by success or market size? (other factors? just off top of head here) ... most things will be skewed toward the richer and/or more successful teams except for a stock national media contract increase, obviously.

i'd pay attention to the estimated net revenue on the financial settings page. adding ~10M may be enough to do what you want. probably see 30M->35M max as a guess... maybe 40, rarely? might need 5-10M more revenue too.

can use a restored backup clone and zoom out 20 years and look at finances report and such. then zoom our more if needed, and screenshot the finalized #'s.

you can ensure you see what you want this way, otherwise you see what is just as good of a guess as anyone else's. fwiw, i too use my own setup instead of default. it's not more or less realistic though.

(luckily i've probably been a bit more correct due to the obvious collusion among owners to rein in costs -- incredibly miserly FA offseasons for a couple years now... too odd with 30 supposed competitors. just look at jd martinez... talk about bad timing. 2-3 years previous and he's making 30-35m without an mvp. these aren't things you can predict... i just like a consistent environment.)

oh, you can add inflation to it if you want. it can even be variable, too. otherwise, it will reach an equillibrium and it won't change since revenues and other costs don't change without this setting active.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-02-2019 at 01:18 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #4
Drstrangelove
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrendenSox12 View Post
Hi, I was wondering how I should set up my financial settings to have player salaries and team payrolls stay in line with how they currently are and then progressively expand due to in inflation.

I haven't touched my financial settings at all and I'm in the year 2029. The highest paid player (still Mike Trout, haha) is only making $30 million a year followed by $29.2M, $28, $28, $27.4, $26.2....

Not only are salaries not getting larger, they are regressing.

The same goes for payrolls:
1. $205M
2. $195M
3. $192M
4. $173M
5. $165M

Average team revenue is $189M right now. What can I set inflation to to get things moving upward again and what else could I do?

Go to the page "MLB/Statistics/Team Statistics/Team Finances" at the start of your league and again in 2029. Choose the same time frame in each year, but roughly anytime free agency and arbitration are mostly done (inactive. In other words, not in the offseason or preseason) For me, I used opening day, but any similar day between April and October, should work.

Add up all 30 team payrolls, budgets and "projected room" dollar values. E.g., for me in 2018, on opening day my league had a total payroll of $3,764 million, budget of $5,438 million, and projected room of $863 million. Do the same for the last year (2029) and compare the numbers.

In 2039, on opening day, my league had a total payroll of $4,122 million, budget of $5,662 million, and projected room of $649 million. In essence, during a 21 year span, payroll increased by 10.2% (under .5% per year), while budgets increased by 2.1% (under .1% per year.) Most of the revenue increases came from changes in gate revenue since commercial and media contracts were unchanged and inflation was set to 0%. Future financials were not imported after the game started.

It might be helpful to do the same calculations to determine what if anything changed. Looking at just one team or one player is anecdotal and indicates nothing about the whole league.

Last edited by Drstrangelove; 01-02-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Drstrangelove is offline   Reply With Quote