Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #1
Allyg3131
Bat Boy

General Advice Needed

I'm an avid OOTP and have been playing off and on since 2007. I've been in an online league for a little over a year now. I know settings are relative, however I have some genera questions I have been wondering for a long time.

1. Why are some prospects rated at a Current/potential star rating of .5/.5 out of 5* yet rated as like a top 10 prospect in the league. I have been puzzled by this for some time.

2. Does Player Development money really help. I tried 14.8 mil last year which is really high in our league yet really didn't receive any benefit at all for it.

3. Why do some players ratings drop yet their star ratings increase in the same report?

4.Do star ratings really even hold much weight in evaluation?

5. What is the best tip you can give me for developing players and as to when they should be promoted/demoted

6. Lastly, if a player is 20 but his ratings are all very good. Like 50-60s on a 20-80 scale will he most likely fail because of age?

If greatly appreciate some feedback fellas. Thanks!
Allyg3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

I'll opine on a few of your questions:

2) Player development spending helps over time--as in several seasons. Don't expect miracles.

3) Stars come from two sources: stats and ratings. If a player is having a good season his stats will drive the stars up. If his ratings are dropping, they will drive the stars down. What you are seeing is a player who the scout thinks has gotten (a little) worse but who is having a good season nonetheless.

4) Understanding stars is key, as above. If you don't understand what the star system is telling you, then that rating should have no place in your personal player evaluations.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 PM   #3
USF
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allyg3131 View Post
I'm an avid OOTP and have been playing off and on since 2007. I've been in an online league for a little over a year now. I know settings are relative, however I have some genera questions I have been wondering for a long time.

1. Why are some prospects rated at a Current/potential star rating of .5/.5 out of 5* yet rated as like a top 10 prospect in the league. I have been puzzled by this for some time.

2. Does Player Development money really help. I tried 14.8 mil last year which is really high in our league yet really didn't receive any benefit at all for it.

3. Why do some players ratings drop yet their star ratings increase in the same report?

4.Do star ratings really even hold much weight in evaluation?

5. What is the best tip you can give me for developing players and as to when they should be promoted/demoted

6. Lastly, if a player is 20 but his ratings are all very good. Like 50-60s on a 20-80 scale will he most likely fail because of age?

If greatly appreciate some feedback fellas. Thanks!
1. OSA provides the Top 100 prospects list and they are not very accurate according to the game manual. Keep in mind your scout might have a different opinion as well :-)

2. Player Development is more complex than just putting money into it. What is the league setting for Player Development speed? Perhaps the league setting is lower than the 1.0 (standard setting). Also you should only spend what you can afford and at a minimum put in the baseline amount. I have seen examples in my league where teams have put in the max and they have benefited from it while others haven't at all. The teams that appear to benefit from this feature are the ones that have been consistent with the spending into it over a long period of time but this is just my opinion based on what I have seen in my league.

3 / 4 - You should ask your commissioner what the league setting is for player evaluation. Many are quick to assume they are set to standard which is a combination of this year stats, last year stats, 2 years ago stats and actual ratings.

5. My best tip - look at stats and performance. Don't be scared to promote players. For pitchers I always look at WHIP, K/9, BB/9, HR/9 stats and for batters - OPS. If you have a batter above 1.000 OPS he is probably due a shot at the next level. If you have a pitcher that has a WHIP below 1.10 he is probably due a shot at a promotion. Obviously there is more detail here to be considered. A very small % of players actually make it to the big leagues so the worst thing you can do is not promote and test the waters with a player. You might be surprised how good they keep doing. I have found that if a player fails after a promotion in the minors they probably weren't going to make it anyway to the bigs.

6. I have had Rule V players win ROY awards in a league. So while age is definitely something to consider don't be surprised if a 26-28 year old does well in the majors while spending a lot of time in the minors.

Those are just some general comments with some detail.

I hope this helps a bit :-)

Jason
USF is offline   Reply With Quote