Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
slthree
Bat Boy

Greetings Baseball Loving Brothers. I am NEW with a question

First, I'm a former ball player from way back (as I'm sure many of you are). I come from the PS3 world and have loved playing MLB TheShow.

That being said, I don't know that I'll ever play that game again because I am unhealthily addicted to this game!

However, I am having problems loading saved games. I have literally lost every game I have started and saved due to not being able to load when I come back to play more. (And, I have spent hours just in set up and drafting alone)Oh my Lord, some of the teams I've built, just to have to re start

Anyway, I sent an email to the developer but maybe you guys can handle this one. Here's the most recent error message I'm getting:

"An error occurred while loading the database! Could not load players file"

By the way, I did search but didn't find a match for that message.

Thank you for listening and an even bigger thank you to anyone who gets me up and running!

Last edited by slthree; 10-11-2012 at 09:10 PM.
slthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Welcome, fellow former ballplayer and future OOTP junkie! It sounds like the players.dat file may be corrupted. Either that, or the Master.csv file is not being loaded. In your OOTP 13 folder within your My Documents folder, check to see that you have a players.dat file and a Master.csv file. If either one are missing from the OOTP 13 folder, then that's probably your problem.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
slthree
Bat Boy

Thanks for the lightning quick reply.

I didn't even know there were OOTP files in the "My Documents" folder. But, I did find them.

And, your initial instinct was dead on. Neither of the two files you reference are within the OOTP13 folder.

This begs 2 questions:

Why aren't they there?
How do I correct this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Welcome, fellow former ballplayer and future OOTP junkie! It sounds like the players.dat file may be corrupted. Either that, or the Master.csv file is not being loaded. In your OOTP 13 folder within your My Documents folder, check to see that you have a players.dat file and a Master.csv file. If either one are missing from the OOTP 13 folder, then that's probably your problem.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Both files should have been created when you installed OOTP. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. That should create those files. And don't delete any leagues you have created. They will be available to you when the game is reinstalled.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
slthree
Bat Boy

Should I uninstall through OOTP or through Control Panel Uninstall? Sorry for the noob question but I don't want to make a mistake?

Quote:
Both files should have been created when you installed OOTP. Try uninstalling and reinstalling the game. That should create those files. And don't delete any leagues you have created. They will be available to you when the game is reinstalled.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Either way should be fine.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #7
slthree
Bat Boy

Well, I went from giddy to deflated in mere minutes

Did a new install from the OOTP homepage

From Home screen I tried to load the season and I got the exact same message

Closed out and went back to the "My Documents" folder then the "OOTP13" folder. Those same 2 files you referenced earlier were STILL NOT THERE

Now what?

BTW, I really appreciate the help
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #8
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

What version of the game are you using? Is it the latest version -- 13.8.30? If not, try downloading the latest patch from the General Discussions board here and see if that helps. The players.dat file should be there when you create the game. It's a universal file that your leagues will use so there's no reason for it not to show up. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. All I can suggest if this fails is to submit a support ticket to OOTP.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What version of the game are you using? Is it the latest version -- 13.8.30? If not, try downloading the latest patch from the General Discussions board here and see if that helps. The players.dat file should be there when you create the game. It's a universal file that your leagues will use so there's no reason for it not to show up. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. All I can suggest if this fails is to submit a support ticket to OOTP.
I'm a little confused. I have a player.dat file for each league in the data\saved\ games\league name.lg folder. The Master.csv file is in data\stats folder

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthree View Post
Well, I went from giddy to deflated in mere minutes

Did a new install from the OOTP homepage

From Home screen I tried to load the season and I got the exact same message

Closed out and went back to the "My Documents" folder then the "OOTP13" folder. Those same 2 files you referenced earlier were STILL NOT THERE

Now what?

BTW, I really appreciate the help
Did you do a standard or custom install?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
slthree
Bat Boy

Standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Did you do a standard or custom install?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:46 PM   #12
slthree
Bat Boy

The version number at thebottom is 13.8 Build 30

Quote:
Old 10-11-2012, 11:49 PM   #13
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Okay good. Now I apologize. I may have been wrong about where your players.dat file is located. There may be in each league folder. Check to see that there is, please. If so, then OOTP Developments will have to take it from here.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:04 AM   #14
slthree
Bat Boy

When I click on the file folder of the saved season there are a few folders and then some files

There is a players.dat file that is 13,245 kb

Quote:
Okay good. Now I apologize. I may have been wrong about where your players.dat file is located. There may be in each league folder. Check to see that there is, please. If so, then OOTP Developments will have to take it from here.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

Is the save game you're trying to load created after you did the reinstall or is it one from before?
Can you create a new game save it then reload it? If not contact support as that is a problem
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #16
slthree
Bat Boy

Its from before the new install

I will try your suggestion

But, this will be the 20th time or so I actually have to restart after spending so much time setting up my team

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutS|der View Post
Is the save game you're trying to load created after you did the reinstall or is it one from before?
Can you create a new game save it then reload it? If not contact support as that is a problem
Old 10-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #17
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

It's possible the last install had a corruption, through 20 different times is little bit much. I would of contacted support 10 times ago but do it for sure if the new test works, just make it a simple game just to see if you can load one.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:36 AM   #18
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

This is sounding more like an operating system problem and not a game problem.
If you're running windows, Try this, when you start ootp, right click the Icon and select run as administrator. It may work and may not, but the only times I've seen a problem such as yours, it's been because the user doesn't have full admin rights and thus the os blocks some files.
That many saved games being bad, would not be from a bad install. Bad save, possibly, but not a bad install. Just my opinion after 3 yrs. of beta testing..

BTW: That players file your game can't load is in each of your saved games folder and is called players.dat. Every saved game has one and is unique to that saved game only.

Last edited by Bigrod; 10-12-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:06 AM   #19
Baldric
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrod View Post
This is sounding more like an operating system problem and not a game problem.
If you're running windows, Try this, when you start ootp, right click the Icon and select run as administrator. It may work and may not, but the only times I've seen a problem such as yours, it's been because the user doesn't have full admin rights and thus the os blocks some files.
Which is also a good reason not to install to Program Files from a default installation. I had something similar when installing some of the earlier demos to update the save file. Couldn't complete the conversion process due to lack of admin rights in that folder.
Baldric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I have OOTP on my second HDD, away from the OS drive. Not exclusively but occupying prime real estate on a drive I defrag every few days.

Works smoothly for a long time.

RichW