Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #1
jeffallen55
Bat Boy

No idea what I'm doing

So, let's set up a hypothetical question. Let's say someone bought this program wanting to set up their own rosters and teams based on all players throughout history to play in a sim league. Let's say this same person has been trying for hours to figure out through the manual and game how to do this. Let's also say this completely hypothetical person is frightened by the 500 different buttons and options. What advice would you give this person?
This person who is clearly not me in any way...
jeffallen55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Do what anyone does when learning a new skill. Start with the basics. Set up a real simple bare bones league (Quickstart?) and run it for a few weeks. You likely know baseball. In a short period you will see the relationship between the key elements of the interface and the lightbulb will go on.

With no emotional investment in this starter league if it blows up or you screw up the frustration is limited.

Back it up often and you can restart at any time.

Just my.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Do what anyone does when learning a new skill. Start with the basics. Set up a real simple bare bones league (Quickstart?) and run it for a few weeks. You likely know baseball. In a short period you will see the relationship between the key elements of the interface and the lightbulb will go on.

With no emotional investment in this starter league if it blows up or you screw up the frustration is limited.

Back it up often and you can restart at any time.

Just my.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
jeffallen55
Bat Boy

I'd actually like to start by choosing my own players. Can anyone explain how that would be done?
There's a long drive... it's gonna be, I believe...THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands! The Giants win the pennant and they're goin' crazy, they're goin' crazy! HEEEY-OH!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

When creating your new league using the league creation wizard, you should see the option to have an "Inagural Draft". Then you can draft the players as you see fit.

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffallen55 View Post
I'd actually like to start by choosing my own players. Can anyone explain how that would be done?
Also you can choose the All time quickstart that comes with the game or any preloaded league and choose inaugural draft.

Also you can add historical players by going to Free Agents and add historical players..more info here:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp11/?mact=Search%2Ccntnt01%2Cdosearch%2C0&cntnt01retur nid=500&cntnt01searchinput=import+historical+playe r&submit=Submit
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
jeffallen55
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.montoya View Post
When creating your new league using the league creation wizard, you should see the option to have an "Inagural Draft". Then you can draft the players as you see fit.
Can't seem to find any such option. I went to Custom League, Historical League (since that's the only one that doesn't have fictional players), selected 2010, imported all history up to 2010, and basically left everything else as is. I've tried Commissioner Mode, but I can't find any way to select specific players for a specific team.

Really, the main thing I'm trying to do is, set up many teams of players that I choose the rosters for, and have them match up against one another. I'm not looking to have salary caps, trades, injuries, or anything fancy like that. I'm not looking to build a dynasty, I'm not looking to simulate the entirety of Major League Baseball. I just want teams of specific players to face off against each other.
There's a long drive... it's gonna be, I believe...THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! Bobby Thomson hits into the lower deck of the left-field stands! The Giants win the pennant and they're goin' crazy, they're goin' crazy! HEEEY-OH!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #8
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Can't seem to find any such option. I went to Custom League, Historical League (since that's the only one that doesn't have fictional players), selected 2010, imported all history up to 2010, and basically left everything else as is. I've tried Commissioner Mode, but I can't find any way to select specific players for a specific team.

Really, the main thing I'm trying to do is, set up many teams of players that I choose the rosters for, and have them match up against one another. I'm not looking to have salary caps, trades, injuries, or anything fancy like that. I'm not looking to build a dynasty, I'm not looking to simulate the entirety of Major League Baseball. I just want teams of specific players to face off against each other.
Go to Advanced Options when you start a league and go tab by tab and slecelt what you want all the options are there.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #9
jeffallen55
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
Go to Advanced Options when you start a league and go tab by tab and slecelt what you want all the options are there.
It appears that I can only alter the structure and do an inaugural draft if I do a fictional league, which doesn't allow me to use real players. Starting to get very frustrated with this layout. I had OOTP recommended highly by several people, and yet I can't seem to find a way to simply make a team with hand-picked players throughout history. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on how this can be done? Every response I've gotten has told me something different, and none of them have gotten me any closer to anything.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:57 AM   #10
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It appears that I can only alter the structure and do an inaugural draft if I do a fictional league, which doesn't allow me to use real players. Starting to get very frustrated with this layout. I had OOTP recommended highly by several people, and yet I can't seem to find a way to simply make a team with hand-picked players throughout history. Can anyone give me a definitive answer on how this can be done? Every response I've gotten has told me something different, and none of them have gotten me any closer to anything.
Start your league up. Once it's all set up go to League Setup. Along the bottom of the page are some buttons. Select "Functions". A menu pops up, one of the choices is "Release All Players & schedule inaugural draft.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:33 AM   #11
jeffallen55
Bat Boy

Ok, thanks, that got me really close. I was able to get to an inaugural draft, but it only has the players available that were active in 2010. I tried to go back into settings and import either historical_database or master.csv, the program freezes and shuts down. Getting very close now, just 1 step away...

... Well, one step away, from spending days setting up these rosters the way I want them first. But then, yeah, we're good.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #12
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, thanks, that got me really close. I was able to get to an inaugural draft, but it only has the players available that were active in 2010.
What year were you hoping for?

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #13
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

If you want players from different eras such as 21 Ruth, 61 Mantle, etc etc you have to import them individually.

The other option is starting an historical league in your prefered year to get a lot of yesteryear players in, then add more via the import option.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #14
jeffallen55
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.montoya View Post
What year were you hoping for?
I'm not looking for a year. I'm looking for every player throughout history. That's what I've been saying from the beginning. My idea is (and always has been ) to create teams of different players throughout history. Let's say, for example, I want a team of people with the last name of Johnson to face off against people with the last name of Martinez. When I brought this idea up to SABR, I was told by several people, including Mike Lynch from Seamheads, that this program would be perfect for me. He did mention importing from the Lahman database, so perhaps that's what I need to do, but I can't find a place where I can import individuals. Where can that be done?
Old 08-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #15
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
I'm not looking for a year. I'm looking for every player throughout history. That's what I've been saying from the beginning. My idea is (and always has been ) to create teams of different players throughout history. Let's say, for example, I want a team of people with the last name of Johnson to face off against people with the last name of Martinez. When I brought this idea up to SABR, I was told by several people, including Mike Lynch from Seamheads, that this program would be perfect for me. He did mention importing from the Lahman database, so perhaps that's what I need to do, but I can't find a place where I can import individuals. Where can that be done?
Didn't bother to read the link I posted before?!? You wouldn't continue to ask question anymore had you.
To import a historical player you can do it 1 of several ways. 2 that I can think of off the top of my head.
1. Go to Free Agents. Import Historical Player (bottom)
2. select the historical_database.odb or master.cvs 9might have to naviagte your way to it, its under OOTP/Stats folder
3.type in the players code from baseballreference.com so for Harold Baines it would be baineha01 choose the yr you want to import him from so lets say 1985, then choose the other options.
4. click import

you can also put them into the next draft.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 08-25-2011, 03:43 PM   #16
Chicagofan76
Banned

You can also import teams, and if you want delete teh players you dont want. follow the 1st SS for mass delete.
1. Go to League Option & Rules.
2. Edit League Structure
3. Import Historical Team
4. Point to the historical_database.odb or master.cvs i always use odb
4. select yr, refresh list, lets say 1985 White Sox
5. import team

Now youi can also import an entire season by going to League Option & Rules..add league...create historical league. say 2000. So now you have 2 leagues your 2011 quickstart and your 2000 league + Harold Baines + 1985 White Sox.
Now to add them all to 1 league Go back to edit league structure from whichever league you want to bring the teams from.
Say you want 2011 NL east, 2000 AL Central, 1945 NL 1969 AL East ( but not the duplicate teams. You can remove teams or move them as you see fit.

Easiest way is to start the All time quickstart from the OOTP 12 loading page. and then add the historical players

And once again since you failed to notice it the 1st time
read this on how to import. I dont know if 12 has a manual yet, it did not last time i checked, the 1 for 11 is 99% the same.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/documentation/ootp11/?mact=Search%2Ccntnt01%2Cdosearch%2C0&cntnt01retur nid=500&cntnt01searchinput=import&submit=Submit
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #17
jeffallen55
Bat Boy

Quote:
Didn't bother to read the link I posted before?!? You wouldn't continue to ask question anymore had you.
I actually did see your link before and clicked on it, but somehow I never went down to Free Agents, but only checked out Adding Historical Leagues and Historical settings. Not sure how that happened. Anyways, thank you, that's doing exactly what I'm looking for, so that should be the last of my incredibly n00bish questions.

Last edited by jeffallen55; 08-25-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:01 PM   #18
McClearyMauler
All Star Starter

I am with Jeff

Had game for week now and can not do the same thing, but I will keep trying
McClearyMauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #19
Chicagofan76
Banned

Jeff sorry for my condescending tone earlier, I was annoyed. The game takes time to figure things out I have had 11 for 1 1/2 yrs now, and there s still misc little things I learn. This game isn't for the Nintendo Super Mario Bros. fan, it's for the hardcore baseball fan/gamer.

Mac, what are you trying to do. i got your email, but it didn't specify what you were trying to accomplish.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #20
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
... I have had 11 for 1 1/2 yrs now, and there s still misc little things I learn. This game isn't for the Nintendo Super Mario Bros. fan, it's for the hardcore baseball fan/gamer.
Not to hijack the thread, but why haven't you made the move to v12 yet?