Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Assistance required for help with roster building

Hi, as per my other threads in this New to the game forum I'm a complete novice when it comes to baseball.
So far I've been playing the game (more like observing the game than actually playing if truth be told) and am after some advice with developing a roster.

With other sports management games, like Front Office football and Football Manager, my roster building strategy has usually revolved around employing a 'short term pain - long term game' approach. Basically trying to build around youth and just making sure that I have enough experience in key positions. That has served me well in the games I mentioned above, but I'm struggling with how to actually implement that in OOTP12.

Despite having anexcellent scout who is either outstanding or legendary in all attributes, I'm finding that most of my high draft picks are usually panning out as busts.

Are the drafts in Baseball the main route to finding and developing talent or is it through overseas scouting for young talent?Or are there other avenues to finding young talent outside of the draft? If so what are some of the means to do this?

Also, any tips on trying to assess the youth in the draft as a means of improving the odds of finding a decent prospect. That is should I be sticking with those that have 4 and 5 star potentials, or are there other 'tells' that would make a one star rated guy -who my scout is saying is destined for only a minor league career- look like a better option.

Appreciate as much advice that folks can give to help me .

Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 07-17-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:32 PM   #2
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
what ratings set are you using?
I prefer 1-10 myself vs 20-80 or 1-100, but i recommend 1-100 perhaps for you. To change it go to League Options & Rules - Game Setup

If the scout is excellent he should be finding quality players. Are you letting them develop in the minors?
When you draft do you use the dropdown so it shows the highest OVR or Potential?
Do you use Scout Recommendation or are you drafting who you think is best?
Do you have a draft strategy?
Mine tends to be defense 1st. Speed then power. I also look for guys with a 8-10 avoid k's, guys that can play multiple positions, etc.

Maybe a good way to learn what type of ratings are good and such is try a single season replay...maybe try the 1998 Yankees or the 2000 Mets (since you said you were playing as Mets before), they should be loaded with quality players.

In 12 there are options to search for talent in specific countries. I dont have 12 yet (waiting for bug free version), also check you scout to see what his strengths are Majors, Minors, International, Amateur and in preseason/offseason move the sliders to his strengths.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagofan76 View Post
what ratings set are you using?
I prefer 1-10 myself vs 20-80 or 1-100, but i recommend 1-100 perhaps for you. To change it go to League Options & Rules - Game Setup

If the scout is excellent he should be finding quality players. Are you letting them develop in the minors?
When you draft do you use the dropdown so it shows the highest OVR or Potential?
Do you use Scout Recommendation or are you drafting who you think is best?
Do you have a draft strategy?
Mine tends to be defense 1st. Speed then power. I also look for guys with a 8-10 avoid k's, guys that can play multiple positions, etc.

Maybe a good way to learn what type of ratings are good and such is try a single season replay...maybe try the 1998 Yankees or the 2000 Mets (since you said you were playing as Mets before), they should be loaded with quality players.

In 12 there are options to search for talent in specific countries. I dont have 12 yet (waiting for bug free version), also check you scout to see what his strengths are Majors, Minors, International, Amateur and in preseason/offseason move the sliders to his strengths.

Thanks for the tips.
In answer to your queries
I'm currently using 1-20 rating sets. and I let my manager develop the talent in the minor's and let him decide when to promote them.
In drafts, I do sort by overall ratings, and current.

Given my lack of knowledge of baseball, I'm pretty much just setting control of everything to my Manager.
As a consequence, I'm pretty much going with what my Scout recommends in the drafts, overruling on the odd occasion. I was more active in the inaugural set up draft for my league, where I chose the majority of my first 20 picks, and then as the talent thinned out and it became harder to pick between players I let my scout fill out the roster.

What is a bit confusing as the game has gone on, is in the drafts some player's will (and I've set the scouting to show my scouts data not OSA's) ratings show on the main screen as say having 2 current stars and 5 star potentials. but then when I go into the players profile (again choosing to see my scouts data of the player and it might show there 1 star current and only 2 stars potential??? Why the difference- given it's my scout's impression I would expect it to be the same.

Whilst as I mentioned I have been letting my manager/scout do pretty much everything, I have been keeping an eye on things to try and learn from observing.

In other sports games I've attempted to look at my draft strategy in terms of employing either a 'needs based' policy or 'take the best player available at my pick' depending on the situation.

In my recent Rule 5 draft, and knowing that my bullpen was quite thin on starters, I presumed the scout would take the 4 star current 4.5 star rated starting pitcher, however he instead recommended an infielder (who had dubious looking rating stars) and where my current playing stocks in the infield weren't too bad.

One again, thanks for the tips.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
Bigrod
OOTP Stats Master

Just thought I'd throw this in here since it's your latest post..Sounds like your learning the ins and outs very quickly. Just in case you'd like to refer to the 11 manual which covers a lot of the basics of 12, it's back online now and can be found here:
OOTP Baseball Manual - OOTP 11
Bigrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post

What is a bit confusing as the game has gone on, is in the drafts some player's will (and I've set the scouting to show my scouts data not OSA's) ratings show on the main screen as say having 2 current stars and 5 star potentials. but then when I go into the players profile (again choosing to see my scouts data of the player and it might show there 1 star current and only 2 stars potential??? Why the difference- given it's my scout's impression I would expect it to be the same.

In my recent Rule 5 draft, and knowing that my bullpen was quite thin on starters, I presumed the scout would take the 4 star current 4.5 star rated starting pitcher, however he instead recommended an infielder (who had dubious looking rating stars) and where my current playing stocks in the infield weren't too bad.

One again, thanks for the tips.
I could be wrong on the 1st 1, but i believe they rescout the players after they join your system and sometimes players are less then what originally expected.
The way i look at the scouting is this: They give me a little insight to how the player might be but until he throws a pitch or swings a bat they dont truly know what he will do. I have had 5 star guys bat .250 10 hr while 2 star guys hit over .350 with 25 hr. also matter to what your scouting is at I keep mine at normal/default. Not sure if that helps them, you or me.

I hardly ever take position players in Rule V, just because if they struggle then i have to place them on waivers while a bullpen guy who struggles i can make him my mop up guy and deal with a 5.00-15.00 ERA for him.
That being said i did take an OF in Rule V in 1 of my leagues. In ST he hit .400 5 hr 16 RBI and knocked out a veteran for the 4th OF spot. Regular season he hit .179 3 RBI in 67 games, I then placed him on waivers and called up a recent draft pick he was hitting .350 2 hr 12 rbi 5 sb in 21 games as a 4th OF.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 AM   #6
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
I could be wrong on the 1st 1, but i believe they rescout the players after they join your system and sometimes players are less then what originally expected.
The way i look at the scouting is this: They give me a little insight to how the player might be but until he throws a pitch or swings a bat they dont truly know what he will do. I have had 5 star guys bat .250 10 hr while 2 star guys hit over .350 with 25 hr. also matter to what your scouting is at I keep mine at normal/default. Not sure if that helps them, you or me.

I hardly ever take position players in Rule V, just because if they struggle then i have to place them on waivers while a bullpen guy who struggles i can make him my mop up guy and deal with a 5.00-15.00 ERA for him.
That being said i did take an OF in Rule V in 1 of my leagues. In ST he hit .400 5 hr 16 RBI and knocked out a veteran for the 4th OF spot. Regular season he hit .179 3 RBI in 67 games, I then placed him on waivers and called up a recent draft pick he was hitting .350 2 hr 12 rbi 5 sb in 21 games as a 4th OF.
Thanks for the scouting explanation, advice re Rule V. Hopefully I'll get more time to play this weekend which will no doubt result in a new wave of questions!!
Really appreciate the help folks have given here to what are obviously very simple questions for all you baseball fans here!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
Big T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the scouting explanation, advice re Rule V. Hopefully I'll get more time to play this weekend which will no doubt result in a new wave of questions!!
Really appreciate the help folks have given here to what are obviously very simple questions for all you baseball fans here!
I am 0-5 in selecting Rule 5 guys so far. But you never know, the next one might work out... Just make sure they don't have a 3 year 12.0M dollar deal before you select them..
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
I am 0-5 in selecting Rule 5 guys so far. But you never know, the next one might work out... Just make sure they don't have a 3 year 12.0M dollar deal before you select them..
I am 3-2 maybe. the 3 successful 1's or near successful 1's were 2 MR's and 1 #5 SP. The SP went 12-10 4.21 ERA 145 IP 120 k 89 BB. Thankfully I had a great offense. 1 of the MR turned into my setup for part of the yr.
My 2 failures were both offensive #4/5 OF ers.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #9
Phatman
Minors (Double A)

I am reading this as well. I never thought of when drafting scout defense first. Thanks for the advice. I love it.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #10
Bathory
Bat Boy

@ Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

First of all , coming from an experience of playing football managers since the 1990-s, and not having much experience with baseball until a couple of years ago (european baseball fan ) I have to say that this game is very good, detailed and realistic for a sports management game.

Also, I consider myself a beginner in this game as well, (don't know half of the abbreviations for stats -war,babip, etc )so I would try to give you some advice based on football management and my experience in this game.

So, the last game, I started with the Washington Nationals, playing in commisioner mode (for editing stadium images mostly). I started a couple of seasons before this one to learn a bit about the game.
You'll see from start what positions are the weakest in your team. For the Nats the most important adds should be the SP (they have weaknes in C,1B as well).

The first thing I do in all sport managers is to go to the free players list. So I strenghtened the team with a good available SP (Scott Lewis) and a utility C (Salome, good swing, bad at C, but free ).

Then check the existing roster and form your lineup according to the advice someone already given you 1-on base guy, 2-contact batter,3 best hitter, etc

I've spent a lot of time trying and making trades as well. I've noticed that the AI for trades is not so good, so use it at the beginning and as you learn increase the level for trades to hard (i know that this option exists but, didn't find it yet). For example, got SP Minor from Atlanta for Gorzelanny and some 1star prospect. Also got 3B Aviles from KC for some older 2star players (Cora and someone else )

Personally I think that a good starting pitching staff (good control, 15+ using 1-20 ratrings, if possible) is the most important part of the team.

Also I would recommend you to play all your games, at least until you get a grip of the system, and (as I do) watch the game on TV, if possible

Just for info: season 2011,score so far 15-4, first team : C-Ramos/Pudge, 1B-Smoak, 2B-Espinosa,3B-Zimmerman,SS-Aviles, LF-Morse, CF-Ankiel, RF-Werth, lineup to bat in this way Aviles, Espinosa, Morse, Zimmermann, Smoak, Werth, Ankiel, Ramos, Pitcher

Now just have to read about all contract modes

Last edited by Bathory; 07-22-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Bathory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 PM   #11
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Hey! I just got back from Australia! You are lucky to live there! I just wish I could return for baseball season

Quote:
Despite having anexcellent scout who is either outstanding or legendary in all attributes, I'm finding that most of my high draft picks are usually panning out as busts.
This, sadly, models real life. Your scout is not infallible; in particular they seem to be set to really love certain mediocre players. And many, many players in real life and OOTP wash out long before they reach the majors.

So, keep doing what you're doing. The real key is getting regular productive players out of your farm system, so that you can add a few players via trade or free agency to fill holes that will naturally develop. This is what allows you to manage your budget in future years and to be able to re-sign your best players. Note this is what most real teams do- the players that reach free agency are usually not the best of the best. Joe Mauer and Albert Pujols never get to FA in the prime of their careers in real life, although you might see them in OOTP.

And you can never, ever have enough pitching.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 AM   #12
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLoophole View Post
Hey! I just got back from Australia! You are lucky to live there! I just wish I could return for baseball season

This, sadly, models real life. Your scout is not infallible; in particular they seem to be set to really love certain mediocre players. And many, many players in real life and OOTP wash out long before they reach the majors.

So, keep doing what you're doing. The real key is getting regular productive players out of your farm system, so that you can add a few players via trade or free agency to fill holes that will naturally develop. This is what allows you to manage your budget in future years and to be able to re-sign your best players. Note this is what most real teams do- the players that reach free agency are usually not the best of the best. Joe Mauer and Albert Pujols never get to FA in the prime of their careers in real life, although you might see them in OOTP.

And you can never, ever have enough pitching.
Yeah , fair enough too, if the scouting system was too predictable and had a 'tell' as to who was going to make it or not it would it would be fairly boring.
You mention 'getting regular productive players out of your farm system', isn't that dependant upon first acquiring youngsters from drafts though? And given that after a few rounds the talent starts to thin out markedly in a draft, how do you approach drafting when most of the players left are all rated 1 star current and 1 star potential?
Old 07-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
You mention 'getting regular productive players out of your farm system', isn't that dependant upon first acquiring youngsters from drafts though? And given that after a few rounds the talent starts to thin out markedly in a draft, how do you approach drafting when most of the players left are all rated 1 star current and 1 star potential?
Re the first: yes, sort of. You can trade your "spare parts" in the majors and minors for other teams' prospects. So if you happen to be deep with outfielders in AA ball, you can trade some for a C that might develop into some roster filler.

Also, like in real life some players will be dumped by other teams and do well with a "second chance" in a new place. That applies at all levels, up to and including majors. Watch the waiver wire as often as you remember to find guys dumped by other teams that may be an improvement for you.

As for the later rounds of the draft, I am lazy and quit after 8 or 10 rounds most of the time. I figure the computer is as likely to find something as I am. I will also take a flyer on one-tool players: the fastest/best base-stealing CF in the draft, an all-field, no-hit SS, and so on. I figure if they manage to hit at all they may become decent bench players. Does that work? I dunno, but it gives me something to do in the draft And it's all such a crapshoot with rookies anyway (especially if you have injuries set anywhere except "very low").
Old 07-24-2011, 03:14 AM   #14
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just wanted to check in and say Thanks to everyone who has provided their thoughts to my thread.
I'm having a great deal of fun with the game in spite of my almost non-existent baseball knowledge. I've even stepped in and actually managed several games myself with some success.

I currently have set up an historical game with an inaugural draft, starting in 1936 with the Brooklyn Dodgers, and whilst I've posted just less than a .500 season, I'm having fun starting to assemble hopefully a decent team in years to come. I nabbed Joe Di Maggio with my first pick, and now it's up to me to try and assemble a worthy squad around him in the years to come!
Once again thanks everyone for your help. I'll be back regularly no doubt asking more questions.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Just wanted to check in and say Thanks to everyone who has provided their thoughts to my thread.
I'm having a great deal of fun with the game in spite of my almost non-existent baseball knowledge.
You're welcome!

Baseball, to paraphrase the manager in "Bull Durham", is a simple game. Throw the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball, run around the bases. All the other stuff is really esoterica that can be learned in due time. And it's a great game for life-long interest; nearly every time you watch a ballgame, no matter how many years you follow baseball, you will see something that you have never seen before.

Quote:
starting in 1936 with the Brooklyn Dodgers
No accounting for taste, I guess

PS. this jet lag is most inconvenient!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:36 AM   #16
Chicagofan76
Banned

Y.H.F. Since you are starting with the Dodgers. I dont believe their are any non photo versions of Ebbets field out there. so here are 2 versions.. I might have a third with wooden walls, gotta finish this project soon.
I would suggest using Gambo's 2011 Seating Chart for dimensions and factors.

I'm going to re do the bottom 2 eventually.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image 

Last edited by Chicagofan76; 07-24-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #17
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Y.H.F. Since you are starting with the Dodgers. I dont believe their are any non photo versions of Ebbets field out there. so here are 2 versions..
Seeing these just makes me miss High Heat all over again
Old 07-24-2011, 01:41 PM   #18
Chicagofan76
Banned

Quote:
Seeing these just makes me miss High Heat all over again
OOTP 13 will be the best game since HH 2003 when the graphics come in. playability OOTP is 10x better, but i miss having graphics...Seeing my 10 range SS go from deep in the hole to make a play in front of the 2B on far right side, turn to 3B throw out the runner there and catch the ball at 1B for the double play...I still don't know what my 1B was doing, but that was the play of the century.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:32 AM   #19
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
OOTP 13 will be the best game since HH 2003 when the graphics come in. playability OOTP is 10x better, but i miss having graphics...Seeing my 10 range SS go from deep in the hole to make a play in front of the 2B on far right side, turn to 3B throw out the runner there and catch the ball at 1B for the double play...I still don't know what my 1B was doing, but that was the play of the century.
Thanks for the images of Ebbets field, they look great. How and where do I incorporate these into my game?

Last edited by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot; 07-25-2011 at 03:49 AM.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:44 AM   #20
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
You're welcome!

Baseball, to paraphrase the manager in "Bull Durham", is a simple game. Throw the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball, run around the bases. All the other stuff is really esoterica that can be learned in due time. And it's a great game for life-long interest; nearly every time you watch a ballgame, no matter how many years you follow baseball, you will see something that you have never seen before.

No accounting for taste, I guess

PS. this jet lag is most inconvenient!
It's the minutae in a sport that I love. Whilst I might be amongst the very few here on this forum who love cricket - it's that level of minutia that I've long loved. Watching a game and poring over stats and then spending countless hours debating amongst fellow tragics why player X is better than player Y and recalling obscure stats to support your reasoning.

I didn't put a great deal of thought into choosing a team to start my game with in OOTP, just picked Brooklyn.
When I start another one, I'll put a great deal more thought into it. I normally support the historical little guye or underdog in sports in keeping with my life long supporting of the ever struggling to survive Western Bulldogs in AFL. So if there is a MBL that that would be described as a perennially struggling small team that always seems threatened with extinction or who more times than not manage to steal defeat from the jaws of victory, then that's who I will eventually settle for.
Hope you're recovering from your jet lag.