Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:33 AM   #21
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedo View Post
RchW:

I must be missing a step after you indicate "show missing files and drives". The "Folder Options" is on my screen, overlayiaying the Internet Explorer screen, but nothing is happening. I hit "OK" on the "Folder Options", but still nothing.

Is there a step omitted?
I don't think so. Nothing is supposed to happen. All you are doing is to make hidden folders visible. You did click the circle beside "show hidden files folders and drives"?

After you hit OK you then navigate down the path (now visible) to
"C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Roaming\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 11\config\paths.cfg"

It's the AppData folder and below that is hidden.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #22
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

I got mine to come up. I just started clicking open everything so I could see what I might be looking for. It probably doesn't surprise you that I've never seen this stuff on a computer before.

Anyway, a couple things. First, my path begins with my name (vettefan). For some reason, the "C:\Users" is cut off. Anyway, it continues: vettefan\AppData\Roaming\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 11\config. Mine shows nothing after "config".

Secondly, the screen shot of your second example (the Save As example) shows only one "paths" file in it, whereas mine has two: "_paths" and "paths". You state at the top of your second illustration that there should not be any dashes or underscores in front of it. The reason there is an underscore in front of one of mine is because that's how you illustrated it in your first set of instructions to me when you wrote: "Save as___paths.cfg." Sorry, but I was just trying to follow your instructions as closely as I could.

Now, Do I need to delete either the "_paths" or the "paths"?

Are we getting close to the remedy?
Peedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:48 AM   #23
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I got mine to come up. I just started clicking open everything so I could see what I might be looking for. It probably doesn't surprise you that I've never seen this stuff on a computer before.

Anyway, a couple things. First, my path begins with my name (vettefan). For some reason, the "C:\Users" is cut off. Anyway, it continues: vettefan\AppData\Roaming\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 11\config. Mine shows nothing after "config".

Secondly, the screen shot of your second example (the Save As example) shows only one "paths" file in it, whereas mine has two: "_paths" and "paths". You state at the top of your second illustration that there should not be any dashes or underscores in front of it. The reason there is an underscore in front of one of mine is because that's how you illustrated it in your first set of instructions to me when you wrote: "Save as___paths.cfg." Sorry, but I was just trying to follow your instructions as closely as I could.

Now, Do I need to delete either the "_paths" or the "paths"?

Are we getting close to the remedy?
There should be no dash or anything. Delete or rename any file in that folder with a dash in the name.

You want to save a file, paths.cfg, that has no text in that config folder. Look again at post 19. There should be the same files as the screen shot.

I'm still concerned that you don't show a "data" folder on top of your saved_games folder. Without the data folder the league will not load.

In post 6 you said;

Quote:
RchW:
Yes, I see that my league is still in the data/saved_games folder. I guess that's good news.
Later on you don't say this. You can see this by using windows explorer to click through to

"L:\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 11\data\saved_games\Fict 2080.lg"

Although yours will start with a C:

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 07-10-2010 at 12:54 AM.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #24
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

So I don't screw this up, I want to acknowledge what you're telling me before I delete anything:

I have 2 files that are similarly titled; One file is titled "paths", and contains the same text I deleted earlier in the evening, when you instructed me to go to Preferences and open the Troubleshooting tab. The second file is titled "_paths", but is blank (nothing in it). It happens to be the file that I wiped out (deleted all text from) after I went into the Troubleshooting tab.

Based on your most recent instructions, I will delete the file titled "paths", which contains text, and rename the file titled "_paths" to "paths". Just to make sure I understand your instructions, I will send you this post, then wait for your response before I proceed..
Old 07-10-2010, 01:15 AM   #25
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

Yes, I checked post #6 also, and you're right, I indicate that I see data/saved-games, but I went back and checked my directory and now can find no "data" file.

I was using Windows Explorer when I brought up the info in post #22. Why wasn't the "data" file revealed there? Is there something different I need to do with Windows Explorer in order to bring up the string/path that begins with "L"?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:20 AM   #26
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

Never mind about the "L". I just read your last post again. Mine begins with a "C", and I can see the entire path whenever I click on it at the top of the page in question.

The only other item you have on your screen shot that I don't have is a file titled "key". Maybe that's something I don't need anyway.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #27
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I don't screw this up, I want to acknowledge what you're telling me before I delete anything:

I have 2 files that are similarly titled; One file is titled "paths", and contains the same text I deleted earlier in the evening, when you instructed me to go to Preferences and open the Troubleshooting tab. The second file is titled "_paths", but is blank (nothing in it). It happens to be the file that I wiped out (deleted all text from) after I went into the Troubleshooting tab.

Based on your most recent instructions, I will delete the file titled "paths", which contains text, and rename the file titled "_paths" to "paths". Just to make sure I understand your instructions, I will send you this post, then wait for your response before I proceed..
Just make sure you save it as paths.cfg not paths.txt.

RichW

Old 07-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #28
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

RchW:
The "_paths" file, which is empty, has been renamed to "paths", and the screen shows it's a .cfg file.

The "paths" file, which contained text exactly like what I deleted earlier this evening, has been deleted.

Now, I'm beginning to think that the absence of a "data" file may be the problem, based on what you wrote a couple posts ago. I know I indicated in post #6?? that it was there, but I've searched the game directory and, unless the "data" file is inside another file, I don't see it.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 AM   #29
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
RchW:
The "_paths" file, which is empty, has been renamed to "paths", and the screen shows it's a .cfg file.

The "paths" file, which contained text exactly like what I deleted earlier this evening, has been deleted.

Now, I'm beginning to think that the absence of a "data" file may be the problem, based on what you wrote a couple posts ago. I know I indicated in post #6?? that it was there, but I've searched the game directory and, unless the "data" file is inside another file, I don't see it.
It's the data folder, not a file. It contains the stuff that you are getting the error messages about. I don't see how changing your data path, even, by mistake could delete that folder. The game cannot install or work without it.

Any chance that you somehow renamed it? Look around.
Attached Images

RichW

Old 07-10-2010, 02:54 AM   #30
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

RchW:

I opened up my file index, similar to how yours is opened, and searched the index for a data file. Although I did not locate a data file in what I think you might call the game directory (the main part of where we've been working with these files, and where my downloads are for caps, jerseys, logos, etc.), I did locate a data file in the Program Files (86) for OOTP. Its file path is: OS(C\Program Files (86)\Out Of The Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 11\data. Is this significant?

As far as deleting any files, I would never delete consciously delete files unless I created them (case in point is the "_paths" and "paths" files we discussed earlier. I don't know enough about computer stuff to be deleting files I did not create.

I have downloaded quite a bit of Mod stuff from Padresfan site and OOTP itself (All-In-One Mod). Is is possible that a download deleted anything? Another Mod I downloaded for Caps and Jerseys I ended up deleting, because the files were not .png type files.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #31
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

I forgot to mention that the contents of the Program Files (86) are as follows: fonts, skins, background, help, loading (looks like a zip file), website, and what looks like an OOTP logo file.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:20 AM   #32
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

If a data file/folder is needed in another part of the game, would it work to just use a copy of the data file/folder in Program Files (86)? In other words, copy the Program Files (86) data file/folder over to the location of the directory where one is needed, then delete the contents of the copy once it's placed where it's needed? Just a thought.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:53 PM   #33
SteveP

Peedo:

This is obviously turning into a very lengthy process for you. Unfortunately, I'm a Mac person, and don't know enough about how the OOTP files are organized in Windows. But I wanted to you to know that are two other options for getting this solved:

1. Go back to your ticket, and ask Gary to do a remote connection to your computer and see if he can do the manipulation necessary to get your path issue straightened out. Make sure he looks at this thread so he's up to date.

2. If you know for sure that you have your saved league and where it is located, then set it aside somewhere, trash all your OOTP files and download/reinstall the game. Then move your saved league back into the saved game folder. Along with setting aside your saved league, you could also set aside any customized stuff (photos, fg files, etc.) if you know about them. Otherwise, you may have to download and reinstall all that stuff as well. So take that into account.

But you can also continue to seek help in this thread. Nothing wrong about that at all. Just wanted to put that info on the table for you.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #34
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The simplest solution at this point is to re-install the game. Markus has stated that you can install right over the existing set up. I would as Steve says back up or otherwise move your league file before doing this.

RichW

Old 07-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #35
SteveP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The simplest solution at this point is to re-install the game. Markus has stated that you can install right over the existing set up. I would as Steve says back up or otherwise move your league file before doing this.
That's true. Given the problem you are having, you may not need to trash your existing files first.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #36
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

RchW & Steve:

O.K. My version of OOTP 11 is a boxed CD.

As long as the fact that it's a CD load makes no difference whether I re-install or have Gary remotely repair it, and especially if I can simply re-install over what is now in my computer without having to delete every component of OOTP 11 now inside the computer, I believe a re-install would be easier for me and my limited computer skills. This is exactly why I wanted a CD version of the game.

Although I desparately wanted the game back up and running, as I'm sure you understand, the only thing I had invested in it was an awful lot of time in constructing it as a Custom Advanced, because I spent many, many hours in the forum researching how things were put together and where things went.

Fortunately, at the time of this incident, I had just finished constructing the game and hadn't advanced far at all thru it (I was still doing house keeping stuff during pre-season and hadn't actually played even a Spring Training game). After the re-install, I'll simply start from scratch and create a new game. Having already done it, a newly created Custom Advanced shouldn't take me nearly as long.

I GREATLY appreciate all the unselfish, patient time RchW donated to my cause. This forum seems to be filled with people like RchW, but I also appreciate Steve's efforts. I know it must have been awkard for the 2 of you to simultaneously try to assist me and my plight, so that must have been why Steve dropped off yesterday.

RchW, I wish there was something I could do to repay you for your efforts. Let me know if you ever come to the "kidnapping capital of the world". It's a wonderful place, just make sure you bring a handgun.

I don't want to doubt your word after all this, but are you sure I can just re-load over what is now in the computer without any detrimental effects later on to the reloaded game(s). This is my only concern. Is Markus one of the Support guys?

And, where does one learn how to do "screen shots"?
Old 07-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #37
SteveP

Quote:
Is Markus one of the Support guys?
When he feels like it ...

Markus is the guy is created the game and does most of the programming.

You should be able to re-install from the CD just the same as if you had downloaded the installation file.

Word of advice: the first thing you should do after spending a lot of time creating a custom league, is to back it up using the built in backup command in the OOTP menu. Don't do anything else before you do that!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #38
Peedo
Minors (Single A)

Then, re-install it is!

Believe it or not, backing up the game was on my mind, and was something I intended to do in the next couple days prior to what ever happened. Point well taken.

I will re-install sometime next week, after I first prepare a historical version of the then existing Minor Leagues, and their affiliated parent clubs, on paper. This method saves alot of time.

Thank you Steve, and RchW.