Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM   #1
Bill Seiko
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Old and Confused

I have been playing the Demo for about 5 days and think the game is great, so far I have selected team and batting order, called each play both batting and pitching but when it comes to the office management side I am totally lost about all departments.
I watch all the baseball I can on TV in UK.
Being an old (68) computer dummy I am not sure I can handle all the complications of team management.
Is it worth my carrying on and buying the game please?

Bill
Bill Seiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
Isura
Major Leagues

You could turn off financials, trading, etc and just focus on the baseball. Buy it if you're enjoying the demo. It's a bit overwhelming but there is a good manual and the game is fairly customizable to your tastes.
Isura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seiko View Post
I have been playing the Demo for about 5 days and think the game is great, so far I have selected team and batting order, called each play both batting and pitching but when it comes to the office management side I am totally lost about all departments.
Being an old (68) computer dummy I am not sure I can handle all the complications of team management.

Bill
Bill, you may be temporarily confused but 68 is not too old to master this game. If I can do it, so can you!

In the meantime, here are two helpful threads from earlier this year. In the second one, it says a demo has not been released yet; that's no longer true as you found out. Look for some helpful advice in these threads, and my last post in the second one links to a great newbie thread for the basics of baseball itself.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...erwhelmed.html

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-buy-game.html

Buy the blessed game and have fun already!

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 10-13-2008 at 05:15 PM.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Cubfan2001
Major Leagues

Bill this game is well worth it.... I say buy it... these guys in this forum are great with helping you with questions... trust me I know... see those 75 post I have? 90% of them are me asking questions about this game in the past month.... you can probably ask anyone Im probably one of the stupidest noobs in this game that these people have ever seen... however all the great help these guys have offered me caused me to buy the game.... so all I have to say is go ahead and give it a try, and if you ever have questions just ask.... I sure have!!
Cubfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:37 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Bill
You could let the game AI make all the non-play moves. This could be a great tutorial for you because you will probably go WTF! a few times when the decision making is wrong.

Go to the manager options tab on the manager home page and set any or all of the ones marked with an arrow to "computer AI".

Continue to play the demo, but consider there is a discount being offered right now. Less risk for you.

BTW welcome aboard.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

If Eugene Church can master this game, you can too. EC leads a rather large, hard charging, well-respect group of our elders.

Welcome aboard!
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #7
Isura
Major Leagues

Also if you're retired, its a more economical way to spend your time than yaughts and expensive food
Old 10-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #8
Bill Seiko
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Not happy, I just played a game and used a PH for my pitcher in top of the 9th with a 3-0 lead and when I tried to substitute PH with my Closer it would not let me.
I could not get out of subs screen and had to restart PC.
Obviously it did not save so need to play the game again any ideas what I did wrong please.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill
Old 10-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not happy, I just played a game and used a PH for my pitcher in top of the 9th with a 3-0 lead and when I tried to substitute PH with my Closer it would not let me.
I could not get out of subs screen and had to restart PC.
Obviously it did not save so need to play the game again any ideas what I did wrong please.

Thanks for all the help.

Bill
Bill, I don't have the game in front of me now, as I do the other 12 hours of the day. However, I think I know what happened to you.

When you substitute a pinch-hitter for a pitcher, you drag and drop the PH into the ninth slot in the batting order. However, I bet you tried to do the same with the closer, and that is not how you change pitchers. You needed to drag the closer over to the current pitcher's box on the lower right. And yes, the game will not let you proceed until all positions have been filled; in this case (no DH), dropping a guy in the pitcher's box will also insert him in the ninth slot in the batting order, replacing the PH. Am I on target?

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 10-14-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
Bill Seiko
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The last reply was spot on, I am learning slowly.
Next question.
I only have one left fielder in my main squad and 4 right fielders, I would like to have another left fielder in of case of injury or loss of form. Looked at all my teams and they are all full, how do I get minor league player into my secondary squad. I tried but it tells me they are all full.
Also my closer has only pitched for 1 and 2 thirds innings in 5 games altogether but he is tired and not pitched for last 2 games, any ideas please.

Bill
Old 10-15-2008, 03:24 PM   #11
Isura
Major Leagues

You'll have to demote someone on the secondary roster to the minors. You must first 'waive' them, and then demote to the minors (I think that's the only way).
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
phillosopherp
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The last reply was spot on, I am learning slowly.
Next question.
I only have one left fielder in my main squad and 4 right fielders, I would like to have another left fielder in of case of injury or loss of form. Looked at all my teams and they are all full, how do I get minor league player into my secondary squad. I tried but it tells me they are all full.
Also my closer has only pitched for 1 and 2 thirds innings in 5 games altogether but he is tired and not pitched for last 2 games, any ideas please.

Bill

Also don't forget that you can retrain guys in the minors (hell in the majors if you want to take the hit) for new positions. The more they play a position the better they get.
phillosopherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #13
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillosopherp View Post
Also don't forget that you can retrain guys in the minors (hell in the majors if you want to take the hit) for new positions. The more they play a position the better they get.
Not to hijack the thread, but this comment brings up a conundrum for me.

I grabbed Don Buford in the draft. He arrived as a 3b-4. As those of you who were around then probably know, Buford began his career at 2b, and I'd assumed he would adapt to 2b. And I need a 2b on my parent club, so assigned him the starting 2b job on my AAA squad. Yet after about 60 games as my starting 2b in AAA, he still has no rating at 2b. None.

Any suggestion on what I can do differently? Or will this version of Buford be nothing but a decent hitting, lousy defending 3b?
bigMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:27 AM   #14
phillosopherp
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigMatt View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but this comment brings up a conundrum for me.

I grabbed Don Buford in the draft. He arrived as a 3b-4. As those of you who were around then probably know, Buford began his career at 2b, and I'd assumed he would adapt to 2b. And I need a 2b on my parent club, so assigned him the starting 2b job on my AAA squad. Yet after about 60 games as my starting 2b in AAA, he still has no rating at 2b. None.

Any suggestion on what I can do differently? Or will this version of Buford be nothing but a decent hitting, lousy defending 3b?

Are you settings possibly limiting his learning?
phillosopherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #15
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillosopherp View Post
Are you settings possibly limiting his learning?
How would that be the case? What settings should I be reviewing?

I have batter dev. at .6 and pitcher dev at .7. Aging speed 1.5 for each.

Don't know where there might be a fielder dev?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #16
Renner
Major Leagues

Quote:
I only have one left fielder in my main squad and 4 right fielders, I would like to have another left fielder in of case of injury or loss of form.
Bill
Bill, can any of your 4 Right Fielders play Left Field ? Chances are some/all can play that position (usually if you can play RF, you can also play LF).
Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 PM   #17
Bill Seiko
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Missed the discount offer by one day due to feeling ill yesterday, I will have to save more money now before buying the game, just my luck.

Bill
Old 10-17-2008, 02:57 PM   #18
bigMatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

bump
Old 10-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

These settings are for all development and aging, in general. Your answer lies in the Defensive Ratings called Infield Range, Infield Error, Infield Arm, and Turn Double Play. A player needs certain minimum grades for some or all of these in order to get a defensive rating at infield positions and this rating will increase with experience. If he is lacking in some or all of these marks, he will not receive a rating, period. I'm not sure, but it could be that a player who has a low rating for Infield Arm may not get a rating for playing third base no matter how long he plays there.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #20
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Dola,

By the way, make sure you don't have Disable Player Devlopment checked in Global Setup, Player & Picture Options. That may prevent growth in defensive capability as well.