Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 09-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #21
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo
I am often wrong. Below is what I saw last week.

I know that my sims for Arod / Garlon used the reserve roster, and I rarely, if ever saw anyone come out of the reserve roster to do anything worthwhile. Paul O' Neill was my whipping boy on that. I follwed him closely. He stayed a Brave reserve for 4 years and quit. He never showed any inclination to bust out to a MLB roster spot.
I see the same thing all the time. If they're on reserve, players can experience an increase in their ratings, but it seems rare and insignificant. The AI doesn't seem to care much anyway. The player might be activated and made a backup, but that's hardly what I would call development. Players with good potential seem to go absolutely nowhere if they're on reserve for multiple seasons. Many of them just give up on their careers. And that is one of the reasons why I was so vocal about asking for minor leagues for historical play without the fictional players.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #22
Applecorey
Major Leagues

Davidmarver.......what game were you using for this league of yours?

Are you familiar with the book "Universal baseball Association" ? I think your real name is Waugh.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #23
sporr
Global Moderator

Here was the quote I just found from Markus:

"- I never thought the non-minors for historicals would be such a big deal, as the reserver roster is the same as minors in terms of developing"
sporr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #24
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporr
Here was the quote I just found from Markus:

"- I never thought the non-minors for historicals would be such a big deal, as the reserver roster is the same as minors in terms of developing"
It could have been that the person I looked at (Paul O'Neill) just was not very good.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 04:31 AM   #25
Carplos
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo
It could have been that the person I looked at (Paul O'Neill) just was not very good.
Have you looked at development on reserve rosters for non-Lahman historical leagues?
Carplos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #26
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carplos
Have you looked at development on reserve rosters for non-Lahman historical leagues?
No. Historicals is not my kind of simming. I am digging into historicals to understand that part of OOTP better.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 08:08 AM   #27
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applecorey
Davidmarver.......what game were you using for this league of yours?

Are you familiar with the book "Universal baseball Association" ? I think your real name is Waugh.
I think the seminal fantasy sports nerd book you are referring to only had I think 4 teams, maybe 6 that the proprietor kept track of. I have a league like that with 12 teams and feel hopelessly nerdy about it (although I still enjoy it - take that, jocks and hipsters!).

IMO, Davidmarver, if you want to control every aspect of every game from the ground up, this is the game for you. There is roster movement stupidity still, but guess what? If you're micromanaging, you will never, ever see this. And to be honest, the game still does a fairly decent job of things on its own - a decent enough job, anyway, that you can start out, perhaps, by auto-simming a few years and then slowly becoming more and more involved with your league until it takes over your entire life and you insist that women you take home with you from the local bar scream out your star pitcher's name instead of yours.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:21 PM   #28
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift
. . . and then slowly becoming more and more involved with your league until it takes over your entire life and you insist that women you take home with you from the local bar scream out your star pitcher's name instead of yours.
Ha! Could NOT let this one go by without a highlight. LOL, Syd.

Edit: Hmmm. I'm assuming you took OOTP on a laptop to the bar . . .

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 09-04-2006 at 12:23 PM.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote