Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #41
baseball_newbie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How much games into the season till I can use the stats to prbperly judge my players...im not very far in at the minute...but my players cant even seem to get hits recently...and i have a top player 80 on the scale, who has an average of .229. But i am only 15 games into the season so im not really judging much on it yet, but how far in tilll i should start dropping people who arent cutting it?
baseball_newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #42
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball_newbie
How much games into the season till I can use the stats to prbperly judge my players...im not very far in at the minute...but my players cant even seem to get hits recently...and i have a top player 80 on the scale, who has an average of .229. But i am only 15 games into the season so im not really judging much on it yet, but how far in tilll i should start dropping people who arent cutting it?
I would give it a full month of play (assuming 162-game season) before I took any action. All of these baseball simulation games, OOTP no exception, simulate hot and cold streaks. Your top-rated player may have just started the season on a cold streak. (BTW, there's no DTD injury that you are overlooking?) During the month, look to make lineup changes that might shake things up, or sit him down vs. lefties (or righties, whichever numbers are worse). If he's still doing badly after a month or so, consider sending him down to AAA (if you can) or benching him (if you can't) to see if that turns him around. Ultimately, if his performance continues to be less than expected, you may see his ratings drop to match, as has been discussed elsewhere in these forums.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:03 PM   #43
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

Since Baseball is so focused on stats, it's easy to get down on players who are struggling. This is especially true early in the season when his slump shows up more clearly in his season totals than if he had the exact same slump after hitting well for two months.

There's numerous theories on what to do with slumping players. Sitting the player might give him some rest to help him get out of it. Playing the player might help him get back into his groove faster than playing him only occasionally. Moving him in the lineup might take some pressure off of him. Moving him in the lineup might make him uncomfortable because he's trying to fill a different role than he's used to. This is where a stats game like OOTP struggles to imitate real life. In real life, managers make those decisions based on player personalities, personal managing style, and public/ownership pressure. For me in OOTP, I usually play the players anyway if they're not playing hurt and if they've got good ratings/track record. Who knows, they might break out of their slump tomorrow and go on a hot streak.

The final thing to remember is that it's not uncommon for a superb player to have a year in which they really struggle for the whole year. It's the nature of baseball, and you never really know if they've lost it or if they're just having that bad season until you see what they do in the next few seasons.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:38 AM   #44
Kekkonen
All Star Reserve

Quote:
First of all, 15 games is, what, about 60 at-bats? That's not a lot. See how he does after 120.

Second, what do you mean he's 80 on the scale? If your scouts rate him 80 overall, that doesn't necessarily mean he'll hit for a great average. Does he have a lot of power and a good batting eye? You can also have a SS (or a catcher) rated 80 if they have gold glove-quality defense even if their hitting is nothing special; for a player like this, .229 isn't really that far from what you could expect for a full season. In my current game, I had Yuniesco Betancourt (sp?) for 5 years, and he was rated 80 for something like the last 4. He never hit above .270 in a full season, his best OBP was something like .320, and he had very little power -- but he won 3 gold gloves in those 4 years.
Kekkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:10 AM   #45
baseball_newbie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ok thanks everyone, im a bit further in now and everything is turning round, much more consistance, been through a lil injury blip too, although my batting isnt as strong as some other sides, im very happy with it now. For pitching im number 1 at every stat in my sub league, and im the best team so far as far as results go.

One thing on pitchers, i know someone earlier along the line gave me a guide to how many pitches to play different pitchers, but lets say a starting pitcher is doing well, they are not getting hits or runs off him. How often should i play him for the whole game? should it just be every now and then? or every time there is a shutout on the cards should i give them the chance to acheive that?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 AM   #46
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Ah, you've touched upon a sore subject with me in real life, baseball_newbie!

I am a firm believer in the complete game rather than managing by pitch count and the mandatory set up reliever / closer scenario. How many times has a pitcher hit a certain pitch count (the dreaded "100-pitch" barrier, heavens to betsy!), been relieved by a manager managing by the books, and has seen his win disappear as his relief throws the game away. But enough about real life, let's get back to virtual reality.

I say if a pitcher is doing well, nay, dominating the game, leave him in until he shows signs of fatigue (walking a weak hitter, sharply hit double, HR, etc.) Don't just take him out because it's "time." He is a known quantity up until this point, whereas your reliever may or may not be having a good day.

Of course much depends on the score, the importance of the game, and the quality of your relief pitching. Say you have a 1-0 score going into the ninth inning of a playoff game; your starter has 115 pitches thrown, and your closer is premier in the league. No brainer, shutout or not; the closer comes in. If the score is 4-0 during a game in the middle of the season, however, the starter comes out for the ninth and gives up a run or two before I take him out.

Some think that managers owe it to pitchers to give them every chance of a shutout, which is a handsome stat for a pitcher. I agree, except if the season itself is on the line and the situation that I described above applies.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:52 PM   #47
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

If you knew exactly when to leave a pitcher in and when to take him out, you could make a lot of money as a major league pitching coach. That said, the situation and the score of the game should give you an idea of whether or not to trust your pitcher. In real life, the decision is not just based on the score but also on specific batter-pitcher match-ups.

I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't consider pulling a starting pitcher until he starts to struggle or gets hurt. Relievers are different because they're often best in particular situations, like a lefty who's great against left handed batters but gets hit hard against righties. Starters usually don't last as starters if they struggle that much against half the population of hitters, and as long as they're pitching fine, don't worry about the pitch count too much.

Anyway, once a pitcher starts to struggle, you have two options. Pull him for a reliever, or let him pitch and hope he gets out of whatever situation he's gotten himself into. How much you let him struggle is based on a number of things, the score being one of the biggest keys. How much is he "struggling"? Did he give up a couple of bloop singles or were those last three hits screaming liners into the gap? The prior might indicate that he's fine but the other team is just getting lucky. Who's coming up next? Does the next batter already have 3 hits against him today or is he 0 for 3 with 3 strikeouts? Will he be facing the bottom of the order or the other team's best hitters?

As you can see, there's a lot to take into account. My baseball manager used to tell me that a good lead off of first base was as far as I could get off without getting picked off by the pitcher. Of course, if I never get picked off, then maybe I haven't gone as far as I can go. Once I get picked off I know how far is too far, so I can then cut it back a little and know I'm ok. I'd say the same applies to keeping starters in. Sometimes, you have to leave them in the game longer just to see what keys will indicate they're no longer going to be successful in that game. There's always the possibility that they still have the ability to do fine but are just getting hit because that's the nature of the game.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #48
baseball_newbie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ok thank you both, i figured i couldent be going too badly wrong because im now dominating my league, i just wasnt sure if like Football Manager, later on in the season huge fatigue would ome in etc, ive pretty much been sticking by my pitchers (my best 3 SP's anyway) because they have been doing wonders.

But 2 things, firstly im really enjoying this game, secondly im now watching as much baseball as uk tv provides, im hoping to find somewhere local to start playing...even though ill be terrible
Old 09-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #49
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok thank you both, i figured i couldent be going too badly wrong because im now dominating my league, i just wasnt sure if like Football Manager, later on in the season huge fatigue would ome in etc, ive pretty much been sticking by my pitchers (my best 3 SP's anyway) because they have been doing wonders.

But 2 things, firstly im really enjoying this game, secondly im now watching as much baseball as uk tv provides, im hoping to find somewhere local to start playing...even though ill be terrible
baseball_newbie, I would like you to know that your last post, reply #47 to your original posting, moved your thread into second place on this board's active thread list (who knows what's in archive?) in terms of the number of replies. You just passed "I Give Up," originally posted by rincewindw on 7/23/06 with 46 replies, but you trail "AVG vs OBP" by Kroney37 on 6/6 who leads with 55 replies. Yours is a major league thread if I ever saw one!

This is a testimonial to the good questions that you have asked, plus the willingness of a bunch of us to talk at length about the finer points of baseball. A fun exercise for all.

If you would like to try for first place, feel free to post any additional questions that you may have and I'm sure the rest of us will help you get there. If, however, you are done and would like to retire with dignity but short of the milestone (like Frank Robinson with 2,943 hits or Fred McGriff with 493 HR's), then we will respect that.

Just, please, no number-inflating posts like " "" " or "^^^" or "what he said" or even !
Old 09-26-2006, 10:26 PM   #50
baseball_newbie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

wow thats just fantstic...thanks for letting me know, i just hope having a big thread like this it will help other clueless newbies get used to the game.

Ok onto my questions, Now i feel i have an understanding of baseball, and the screens and workings of OOTP, i would like to have a go with a real database.

So what i want to know is, is there any sites that offer downloads of databases, most importantly a current one, but i would also like to take a look at some historic ones to get to grips with the history of the game somewhat.

And are these easy to set up?
Old 09-27-2006, 09:44 AM   #51
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Well all right, then! Your quest for the record continues. Bravo.

This is an easy one. You will want to spend time on the Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts sub-forum of the Mods board. Here is the URL:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...sprune=&f=3638

After going through the posts there, particularly the sticky ones at the top of the board, you will have an idea of what is involved with loading and using customized rosters of real and historic players. Ultimately, you will be directed to this web site for actual downloading:

http://www.ootpmodsquad.com/

Here's something else for you to consider. Sooner or later, you will want to change your user ID, for you will no longer be a "baseball newbie."
Old 09-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #52
baseball_newbie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

ok ive had a look...although the guide to importing rosters is much more complicated than it explained in the guide to theg ame, im pretty sure ill handle it. Ive also had a look on the modsquad site. It would appear that the "world universe rosters" by jope is the most complete and probably accurate to get...am i right in thinking this?

There doesent appear to be many historical databases though, or am i not looking in the right place?

And as far as changing my name, i think ill keep it for now im quite proud of my rookie ball status

(EDIT: actually i found abouut historical databases, have the lahman database now and guide to run it)

Last edited by baseball_newbie; 09-27-2006 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #53
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ok ive had a look...although the guide to importing rosters is much more complicated than it explained in the guide to theg ame, im pretty sure ill handle it. Ive also had a look on the modsquad site. It would appear that the "world universe rosters" by jope is the most complete and probably accurate to get...am i right in thinking this?

There doesent appear to be many historical databases though, or am i not looking in the right place?

And as far as changing my name, i think ill keep it for now im quite proud of my rookie ball status
The basic historical database is one created by Sean Lahman, and can be found at www.baseball1.com. Be sure to download the comma-delimited (CSV) version, becuase the other versions won't work with OOTP. There are several other databases around, search for Gambo and Ankit, in particular, but they are all based on (or at least follow the format of) Lahman's.

If you want a place where you can just peruse baseball history without using OOTP, I would recommend www.baseball-reference.com.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:51 PM   #54
baseball_newbie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ok with the lahamn database im wondering a few things.

If it has players from every season, does that mean whatever year you choose to start it has the players from that year, then what happens after that season, does it automatically update the next season with the players from that season?

Or do you have control over where players go and uch as if you was in charge for that era?

(if its inappropriate to have this post here i will happily ask in the other topics, i just thought id try to get this record )
Old 09-27-2006, 08:43 PM   #55
disposableheros
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok with the lahamn database im wondering a few things.

If it has players from every season, does that mean whatever year you choose to start it has the players from that year, then what happens after that season, does it automatically update the next season with the players from that season?

Or do you have control over where players go and uch as if you was in charge for that era?

(if its inappropriate to have this post here i will happily ask in the other topics, i just thought id try to get this record )
you can have it either way, ie. assigned to their real roster for that year or imported for the ammy draft. you set this up in the league options at creation.

Baseball Maelstrom - New York Mets - 180-149 .547
Corporate League Baseball - Coke Buzz - 889-649 .578
Western Hemisphere Baseball League - Santiago Saints - 672-793 .459

Record - 2428-2271 .517
disposableheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:15 AM   #56
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a contributor to this thread, I wholeheartedly support your goal.

Well...would you look at that?
Old 09-28-2006, 01:15 AM   #57
baseball_newbie
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Are all the ratings for the players set in the database. So they would be updated each year according to the database? Im just trying to get a grips of how it works.

So say someone was drafted in say 1970, are his ratings updated each year to match how he progressed each year? or is it that hes just given the potential and he may or may not reach the level he did in real life? or is that the same if you set them to go in the amaetuer draft it doesent update otherwise it does?

And i take by Dagrims post i am now over the mark, thanks, and thanks everyone who has contributed and helped my learning process.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:07 AM   #58
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And i take by Dagrims post i am now over the mark, thanks, and thanks everyone who has contributed and helped my learning process.
Actually, you set the mark yourself, baseball_newbie. The measure was the number of replies to original posting. Dagrims was reply #55, so you set the "modern" record for longest running thread on this board yourself with post #57 which was actually reply #56. Congratulations!

56 is a magical number in baseball, by the way, because that is the record for number of consecutive games with at least one hit, set by New York Yankee Joe DiMaggio in 1941. This is a record that many think will never be broken. Alas, yours will be some day, especially if a post like the current "Your Opinions Please" by Marc Duffy ever wanders over here. A new record will be set within hours in that case. However, enjoy your fame for now! Nice going.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:49 PM   #59
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are all the ratings for the players set in the database. So they would be updated each year according to the database? Im just trying to get a grips of how it works.

So say someone was drafted in say 1970, are his ratings updated each year to match how he progressed each year? or is it that hes just given the potential and he may or may not reach the level he did in real life? or is that the same if you set them to go in the amaetuer draft it doesent update otherwise it does?
A player is imported into the game from the database with potential and talent ratings based on his real-life career statistics. Once a player is in OOTP, however, he's not affected ever again by the database. He's given the potential, as you say, and whether or not he reaches or exceeds the level he hit in real life depends solely on future development within the game. In one person's universe, Babe Ruth might hit 800 homeruns; in another, he might flame out much earlier. It's obviously much more likely that he will be a star, given the potential ratings he'll import with, but in your historical universe, anything can (and does) happen. That's what makes it so much fun.

p.s. Glad your post set the mark - I was hoping that would happen
Old 09-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #60
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagrims
A player is imported into the game from the database with potential and talent ratings based on his real-life career statistics. Once a player is in OOTP, however, he's not affected ever again by the database. He's given the potential, as you say, and whether or not he reaches or exceeds the level he hit in real life depends solely on future development within the game. In one person's universe, Babe Ruth might hit 800 homeruns; in another, he might flame out much earlier. It's obviously much more likely that he will be a star, given the potential ratings he'll import with, but in your historical universe, anything can (and does) happen. That's what makes it so much fun.

p.s. Glad your post set the mark - I was hoping that would happen
Hmmm. Dagrims, you should mention to him, if this is apropos, that there is an option under Global Setup, Player Options, to turn off Player Development if you do not want that to affect historical simulations. Sounds like more fun the way you describe it, but battists mentioned this in another thread as being of interest to people who don't want to see Ruth flame out in their simulations. Correct me if I am wrong, because I'm not into imported rosters. Here's the post: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...5&postcount=11