Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #1
ajimithing
Minors (Single A)

Draft picks and coach firings?

Decided to give this game another shot with the new update…three issues I'm having:

1) Trading at draft - I can't seem to make any trades on draft day

2) Draft pick ownership - is there a way to set the draft picks to the correct teams?? For example Buffalo owns the Islanders 1st rounder or St Louis 2015 1st rounder, etc.

3) Coaches being fired - seems there is a coach fired every week, and lots of guys who get hired and then are fired like a month or two later??
ajimithing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:13 PM   #2
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajimithing View Post
Decided to give this game another shot with the new update…three issues I'm having:

1) Trading at draft - I can't seem to make any trades on draft day

2) Draft pick ownership - is there a way to set the draft picks to the correct teams?? For example Buffalo owns the Islanders 1st rounder or St Louis 2015 1st rounder, etc.

3) Coaches being fired - seems there is a coach fired every week, and lots of guys who get hired and then are fired like a month or two later??
I believe that unfortunately the game does not cater for draft day trading. This is something that has been brought up on several occasions, and will likely be in a future patch.

As for correct trades, this is editable in commissioner mode by clicking on edit team from the drop down menu under the correct team. You can then set which team owns that particular teams draft pick.
jonnycosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Duranium
All Star Starter

Trading at draft day always worked and works for me (before and after the update).
Be sure to use the 'Trade Player(s)' option under 'Team Menu' on draft day

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Buffalo doesn't own the Islanders' pick yet

Islanders have to decide by June 1st if they are giving them this year's 1st round pick or next year's 1st round pick. The Islanders have the option to defer to next year if they finish in the bottom 10 this year, which seems very, very likely.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #5
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duranium View Post
Trading at draft day always worked and works for me (before and after the update).
Be sure to use the 'Trade Player(s)' option under 'Team Menu' on draft day
Oh wow. I genuinely didn't know this worked. I had read people on the forums complaining that they couldn't get draft day trades to work, so I assumed that it was not fully functional. Haven't yet taken advantage of a draft day trade.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Yeah I've done draft day trades as well. Also I've been playing the Sabres with the deadline rosters and they have the Islanders and St. Louis picks.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torognius View Post
Islanders have to decide by June 1st if they are giving them this year's 1st round pick or next year's 1st round pick. The Islanders have the option to defer to next year if they finish in the bottom 10 this year, which seems very, very likely.
This brings up an interesting coding question, for this or future versions. Would it be a massive job, coding wise, to be able to incorporate conditional picks when trading players?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 PM   #8
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Because Ted Nolan gets fired by Buffalo then gets hired by Habs but in a couple of weeks he makes the Habs worser begin they hired him so that's why they might fire him.

Good to see Trades happening in June.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #9
ajimithing
Minors (Single A)

Yea, neither is working. At start of season I manually fix all the draft picks and save each time I switch one. When I get to the draft after year one, the Islanders 1st rounder for example still belongs to the Islanders. If at that point I go in and try to manually assign it to Buffalo once again, I notice all picks in all future years are assigned back to original teams and all 2014 picks are blanked out and unable to reassign. I can't go into "trade players" to even try to manually trade all the correct picks either because the "trade players" is greyed out and unable to use.

Combined with coaches getting fired after two weeks on the job on nearly every team…I give up.

This game is a god damn joke right now. This should still be in beta phase. I feel like I wasted my money. I have more fun playing the sim GM mode in NHL 14 and THAT is sad…
ajimithing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycosmic View Post
This brings up an interesting coding question, for this or future versions. Would it be a massive job, coding wise, to be able to incorporate conditional picks when trading players?
The mechanics of including conditional picks, not so much. Getting the AI to handle them properly is the tough part, particularly figuring out the valuation. The Islanders' first-rounder, in this case, isn't worth a normal Islander first-round pick, since its probability of being in the top 10 is significantly reduced by the conditions attached to it.

But how much, exactly, is it reduced by? You have to forecast several different things to figure that out: their likely performance this year and next, the relative strengths of the draft classes, and the probability of Islander management making an intelligent choice about which year to give up the pick.

And then there's the question of when the AI should offer a conditional like that: it's basically a fine-tuning mechanism for a situation where next year's first-rounder is more than they want to give up, but a 2015 pick is less than Buffalo wants to get. I think I can fit that into the existing trade offer logic when two AI teams are involved, but if the AI's offering it to a human GM, then we have to make negotiated changes to the conditions fit seamlessly into the way the AI evaluates the offer. That gets tricky, and opens up a potential window for exploits. So making sure all of that fits together properly is the real challenge.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote