Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

I hate Free Agency period

I'm not sure if this is because my computer is slow, or maybe I can make adjustments to the game. Hopefully someone can help.

Whenever I go to the free agency screen, I can take a nap. Right now, there are 15,049+ players (602 pages) on the FA list. I have to wait about 30 seconds while the computer assigns scouting reports to every player. If I click on SP John Smith, see something I don't like, and click the back arrow, I have to wait while it goes through the whole process again. What gives? I can see assigning scouting reports once, but why each and every time I look at the list? It may take 10 minutes before I find a player I like.

Possible solutions:
Is there a way mid-franchise I can somehow eliminate 80% of these players on a permanent basis? I don't need 15,000+ players to chose from.
Is there some way I can set the game not to assign ratings each time?

Thanks in advance!
Critical Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #2
Garlascop
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How many teams are you playing with? That seems like a CRAZY amount
Garlascop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Something is not right. For perspective my 70 year old fictional league shows a total of 15933 retired and active players.

No insult intended but are you on the FA screen?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

See, I guess that's my problem. I set up the league, fell in love, and "really got into it" before I knew what I was getting into. I can tell you I have all leagues from Rookie level on up. If I have foreign teams, I don't know how to access them, so I don't need them.

To answer the other question, I don't take offense, but I'll be glad to tell you that under the MAL drop-down menu, right under "Transactions" and above "Trade", it says "Free Agents." After I click on it, and wait about 30 seconds to assign scouting reports, I have 602 pages to chose from, and at the bottom is says "15,047 Players found". All the five-star and four-star players are on the first two pages. Who knows what's on the other 600.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
CD1083
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critical Mass View Post
See, I guess that's my problem. I set up the league, fell in love, and "really got into it" before I knew what I was getting into. I can tell you I have all leagues from Rookie level on up. If I have foreign teams, I don't know how to access them, so I don't need them.
That is most likely it, depending on how many foreign leagues you have they all generate their own set of FA's. I used to play with every league too but after running into lags like the one you're describing, I usually leave the foreign leagues out or keep it to Japan and/or Cuba.
CD1083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

How can I find out how many active teams I have, and is there any way to reduce them without recreating the whole league?
Old 05-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Jaxxvain
All Star Reserve

Go to game set up.

the list on the left are your leagues. Delete any you don't want.
Unfortunately deleting a league will dump that leagues players into the FA pool, but this is temporary because you can...

Then go to the FA pool and delete all players.
Jaxxvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks. I've deleted everything below AA level. I don't see any foreign leagues. The only thing I can't figure out is how to delete FAs. Do I have to delete all, or can I delete select ones, like those over a certain age, or those under a certain Overall rating, etc?
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks. I've deleted everything below AA level. I don't see any foreign leagues. The only thing I can't figure out is how to delete FAs. Do I have to delete all, or can I delete select ones, like those over a certain age, or those under a certain Overall rating, etc?
Yes, use a custom filter to get the list you want then use mass select to delete them.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 PM   #10
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Keep your draft no bigger than 15 rounds. If it's bigger than that, you have a ton of extra players generated. Also, keep ghost players on. No reason to generate legions of guys who'll never, ever see the big leagues just to fill a roster.

If you do what others suggested as far as deleting, etc., then go from there you should be fine. Do a mass draft, let everyone worthwhile get drafted and maybe delete the leftovers. That could be a way to get it done somewhat quickly.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

Well, now I've done it

I figured out why I couldn't delete the free agents -- I wasn't in Commissioner Mode. I went into options, made myself Commissioner, and deleted most of the players. I began my new season, and at the end of April, the game Autosaved (it does it every month) and crashed, giving me the Windows "We must close this program, sorry for any inconvenience."

Of course, attempting to reload the league is failing -- I get to 57% "Links and Bookmarks" and it just stays there.

Do I just cry now, or should I wait a while?
Old 05-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I figured out why I couldn't delete the free agents -- I wasn't in Commissioner Mode. I went into options, made myself Commissioner, and deleted most of the players. I began my new season, and at the end of April, the game Autosaved (it does it every month) and crashed, giving me the Windows "We must close this program, sorry for any inconvenience."

Of course, attempting to reload the league is failing -- I get to 57% "Links and Bookmarks" and it just stays there.

Do I just cry now, or should I wait a while?

Backup? if not then

RichW

Old 05-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #13
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Given the issues you were having, maybe it's for the best that you're able to start over fresh and try it again the right way from the start. The backup option works pretty well though and I learned this recently after my own fairly extensive league crashed on me. It's good to maintain one and update it regularly, because it works fairly well and it doesn't take up that much time even if you only auto-save annually (As I do.)
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
Given the issues you were having, maybe it's for the best that you're able to start over fresh and try it again the right way from the start. The backup option works pretty well though and I learned this recently after my own fairly extensive league crashed on me. It's good to maintain one and update it regularly, because it works fairly well and it doesn't take up that much time even if you only auto-save annually (As I do.)

I auto save once a week and sometimes think it's not enough.

RichW

Old 06-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #15
Jamee999
All Star Reserve

I play out every game and autosave daily.
Jamee999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #16
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamee999 View Post
I play out every game and autosave daily.
I autosave every 108 minutes whether I'm playing or not. This also helps prevent the world from ending.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #17
phenom
Hall Of Famer

I think with the 11.1.8 patch you can go all the way to 114 minutes.

phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #18
SteveP

Quote:
Delete the page_links folder in the saved game folder for your league. Then try starting up your league again. The game will recreate that folder.

For some reason, the files in that folder have a tendency to get corrupted during crashes.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckstein 4 Prez View Post
I autosave every 108 minutes whether I'm playing or not. This also helps prevent the world from ending.
It's just an illusion. The world was already dead.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:09 PM   #20
Goody
Hall Of Famer

I see you mentioned that you deleted minor leagues from your league to help with this problem. You shouldn't have to do that. If anything, the minor league teams are giving the players somewhere to reside other than the free agent pool.