Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:08 AM   #1
Tater
Bat Boy

OOTP 2007 Vs. Baseball Mogul 2008

I am considering purchasing either Baseball Mogul 2008 or OOTP 2007. I am looking to get input on both games (and figure that I will get more OOTP info here and more Mogul info on that site -- at least of a positive nature!).

I am a DMB veteran of some 7-8 years and thoroughly enjoy that game. I am not looking for a replacement for Diamond Mind, but rather a different game to play in addition to it.

The more input/information I can get about both Baseball Mogul 2008 as well as OOTP 2007, the more informed decision I should be able to make.

One final note...of those who play in DMB leagues I am in and who commented on the two games I am considering purchasing, most seemed to suggest that BM 2008 is really little more than Out of the Park 2007 lite. Is that a fair assessment of the two games?

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who can offer me some useful information that will help me make the right choice.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:23 AM   #2
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

OOTP is a nice change of pace from DMB. Those are the only two baseball games I play these days, and I try them all. The fun thing is that the games have contrasting strengths and weaknesses. DMB has the best gameplay and the best play by play in the business, but you have to pay a fortune for season disks, and there's no career play or customization. IMO, OOTP is the greatest game in the world until the game starts. It's incredibly deep, allows a ton of visual customization that adds a lot to the game, and has a terrific community that takes advantage of the customization. The gameplay and play by play have improved a lot in the last year, but still could use more work. And there aren't any season disks to buy with OOTP, meaning you have only one investment to make to replay any season from 1901 to 2006.

OOTP also allows you to be a general manager and handle team rosters in a way DMB doesn't. It can get a bit overwhelming, but there are plenty of good people around who are happy to answer questions. I didn't buy Mogul 2008, but I've bought previous versions, and it's hard to imagine that the game could have improved enough to deliver anywhere close to the experience OOTP provides.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 AM   #3
rdklein
All Star Reserve

I never played BM... you can't go wrong with ootp, though. It's solid.

A good 2007 roster set is what ootp currently lacks... you can play with a few 2007 sets, but they are works in progress.

I was disappointed I didn't have an 2007 set when the season started (I prefer playing with current rosters), but there is so much to this game as far as both fictional and historic replays that have kept me from shelving it until a roster comes out.

ootp is a badass game... I don't regret buying it at all.
rdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:35 AM   #4
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdklein View Post
I never played BM... you can't go wrong with ootp, though. It's solid.

A good 2007 roster set is what ootp currently lacks... you can play with a few 2007 sets, but they are works in progress.

I was disappointed I didn't have an 2007 set when the season started (I prefer playing with current rosters), but there is so much to this game as far as both fictional and historic replays that have kept me from shelving it until a roster comes out.

ootp is a badass game... I don't regret buying it at all.
While I don't care worth about 2007 rosters (fictional after 1 season, blah blah blah), I agree 100% with the bold.
magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:18 AM   #5
DougWyatt
All Star Starter

While I've never played BM, I did consider it once. About a month ago, I got a buzz on and read something on here bashing BMs engine, but praising it's "look". So, I decided to do a little investigating. I looked at some screenies, did a little reading, and posted on their forum.

I was very unimpressed.

Especially with my post. I went onto "their turf", and basically said .. "Hey, potential customer here, I play OOTP, and thought about BM too, is this game good ?" --- I got 3 responces. 1 was some cat pushing his "skin", the other 2 said .. "OOTP & BM are good games, get 'em both". Here is said thread.

That said. I HIGHLY recommend OOTP. It is amazing. You are in complete control of any world you want. You can basically set up any kind of baseball you want to. A small college league, a massive world universe with leagues in multiple countries ... and everything in between. You can go the "real" route as well. Current rosters - check. Teams/rosters from ANY year (post 1900) - check (with amazing accuracy).

It is an awesome game.
DougWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 AM   #6
cochrane
Minors (Double A)

I've played both Baseball Mogul and OOTP and hands down, I love OOTP way better. The ability to really dive into the stats coupled with a superior interface puts OOTP above the competition. I own multiple licenses for OOTP so I can play it on every computer I own. I've played BM for years and this year I had a choice: I could buy both BM and OOTP or 2 licenses for OOTP... I went with the 2 licenses because I just got more out of OOTP.

-- ZC
Hope Station Giants (2130, Science-Fiction) [Defunct]

Online Leagues
I'm retired from online leagues. Sorry.

cochrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:58 AM   #7
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

With OOTP2007 I have a universe that includes the real majors, the real minors, most of the real indy leagues, the Mexican League, the Japanese Leagues, the Korean and Taiwan Leagues, several European Leagues, a fictional third major league (The Continental League), several fictional affiliated minors, a handful of fictional indy leagues, a league on the islands of Sao Tome and Principe, and several real and fictional winter leagues. They all interact, they all are part of the same simulation, and they all have access to the same free agent pool. They have finances similar to what they'd be in the real world, with big major league teams having payrolls over $100M, and small indy league teams with average salaries under $1k.

When the mood strikes me, I can go look up the height, weight, facial characteristics, and batting average against lefties with runners in scoring position and two outs for the backup second baseman on the Alert Desolation of the Greenland Winter Ice Baseball League. Then in a couple of clicks I can trade him to the Cleveland Indians for Casey Blake, freeing up space to put the Indians' new Rule 5 draftee on the roster.

There's no other game or sim in the history of either baseball or computers that lets you do 1/10th of that, and my example is just one tiny fraction of what's possible in OOTP.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
asaintsfan
All Star Reserve

nice writeup - makes me wanna play righthere at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBL-Commish View Post
With OOTP2007 I have a universe that includes the real majors, the real minors, most of the real indy leagues, the Mexican League, the Japanese Leagues, the Korean and Taiwan Leagues, several European Leagues, a fictional third major league (The Continental League), several fictional affiliated minors, a handful of fictional indy leagues, a league on the islands of Sao Tome and Principe, and several real and fictional winter leagues. They all interact, they all are part of the same simulation, and they all have access to the same free agent pool. They have finances similar to what they'd be in the real world, with big major league teams having payrolls over $100M, and small indy league teams with average salaries under $1k.

When the mood strikes me, I can go look up the height, weight, facial characteristics, and batting average against lefties with runners in scoring position and two outs for the backup second baseman on the Alert Desolation of the Greenland Winter Ice Baseball League. Then in a couple of clicks I can trade him to the Cleveland Indians for Casey Blake, freeing up space to put the Indians' new Rule 5 draftee on the roster.

There's no other game or sim in the history of either baseball or computers that lets you do 1/10th of that, and my example is just one tiny fraction of what's possible in OOTP.

asaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
texasmame
All Star Starter

I tried OOTP 2007 and BM 2008 as replacements for my much beloved but now defunct Baseball for Windows. OOTP won pretty easily.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #10
Essekks
Minors (Single A)

Considered Both

2 weeks ago, I was asking myself the same question. I had played previous versions of Baseball Mogul and kind of grew tired of it. Because of the free 21 day trial of OOTB, I figured I'd try it out and see how into it I got. Needless to say, I am purchasing OOTB without giving Mogul a 2nd thought.

My recomendation is to do the same: Download the trial of OOTB (it is full-featured), get the historical database and a few MODS and play around with it. You can skim the 500+ page manual as you try things out and be sure to take advantage of all the info posted on these forums. You will know in a few days if this game is for you.
Essekks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #11
Babrook
Minors (Single A)

You should atleast try both, they are different games-

OOTP- Heavy on detail, sometimes too detailed.
BM- Very simple, sometimes too simple.

I tend to have more fun with BM08, but OOTP is still a blast. Get both, IMO.
Babrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:39 PM   #12
George Vedros
Bat Boy

I didn't buy OOTP because I could never edit players. I tried the demo and Johnny Bench was rated a slightly above average defensive catcher in 1972. That doesn't work for me.
George Vedros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #13
canadiancreed
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougWyatt View Post
While I've never played BM, I did consider it once. About a month ago, I got a buzz on and read something on here bashing BMs engine, but praising it's "look". So, I decided to do a little investigating. I looked at some screenies, did a little reading, and posted on their forum.

I was very unimpressed.

Especially with my post. I went onto "their turf", and basically said .. "Hey, potential customer here, I play OOTP, and thought about BM too, is this game good ?" --- I got 3 responces. 1 was some cat pushing his "skin", the other 2 said .. "OOTP & BM are good games, get 'em both". Here is said thread.

That said. I HIGHLY recommend OOTP. It is amazing. You are in complete control of any world you want. You can basically set up any kind of baseball you want to. A small college league, a massive world universe with leagues in multiple countries ... and everything in between. You can go the "real" route as well. Current rosters - check. Teams/rosters from ANY year (post 1900) - check (with amazing accuracy).

It is an awesome game.
Guess you havent' read the thread lately. I never understood why if someone posts on two forums for competitors their instantly a "plant". Ah well, what can you do.

Basically this post sums it up best IMO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babrook View Post
You should atleast try both, they are different games-

OOTP- Heavy on detail, sometimes too detailed.
BM- Very simple, sometimes too simple.

I tend to have more fun with BM08, but OOTP is still a blast. Get both, IMO.
Two games for two market segments. It just depens on what your after. My first baseball SIM was MOgul back in the early 2000's, but for me I foudn it limiting. Others find OOTP too much. That's the beauty of it, you have a selection for what you're after.

PT22

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #14
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vedros View Post
I didn't buy OOTP because I could never edit players. I tried the demo and Johnny Bench was rated a slightly above average defensive catcher in 1972. That doesn't work for me.
You can edit these ratings. It's a snap if you are in commish mode. Click the edit tab.

In 1972, Bench's defensive stats were slightly better than league average according to his baseball-reference stats. Of course, you have to dig a little bit deeper to see Bench eliminated the running game, tossing out 60% of would be thieves.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:01 AM   #15
George Vedros
Bat Boy

I was and it didn't edit.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:48 AM   #16
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

The OP probably already bought one of the 2 games by now but here is my take on Baseball mogul and OOTP 2007. Its short and to the point IMO

Baseball mogul is easier out of the two. Thats good and bad. Its good because if your new to this type of game then BM will be easy to understand. Also BM is faster and can sim more seasons.

Now the reason OOTP is good. The amount of features is well all I can say is "Holy Cow". There are so many things you can do with this game is unbelievable.

Now the bad:

BM is a tiny game compared to OOTP. You can't do no where near as much with BM as you can with OOTP. To me its made for fans that want to hurry up and play a season. Plus there are less stats to follow so not as much info. I also don't think there is as much to do as far as being a GM then just simming.

OOTP is challenging to even OOTP veterans. There are so many things in this game to do and at times it can be overwhelming. OOTP Veterans will say the best OOTP game is OOTP 6.51. I might agree with them because to me OOTP 6.51 a heck of a lot simplier. OOTP 2007 IMO is not for the new fan, unless you have played the other SI games.

Final Verdict:

I first played Season Ticket baseball and then went to BM. I played BM for about 3 years and then I tried OOTP 6. Once I tried OOTP 6 I could never go back to BM just because it lacked a lot of the features I had in OOTP 6. Both games have there advantages over the others. BM is faster but OOTP 2007 is more indepth. BM is easier and OOTP is Harder. I say download the demos of both and judge for yourself. But I honestly think OOTP is better. I still think OOTP 6.51 is one of the best games ever but the new OOTP is coming along great and I have high hopes for it.

Also the creatures of both games are very helpfull and listen to there fans so as far as support for both games go, they both get an A+.

Hope this helps
AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:06 PM   #17
magnet
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was and it didn't edit.
You were in commish mode and you couldn't edit ratings? Was there an Editor tab?
magnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:25 PM   #18
DougWyatt
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiancreed View Post
Guess you havent' read the thread lately. I never understood why if someone posts on two forums for competitors their instantly a "plant". Ah well, what can you do.

Basically this post sums it up best IMO:

Two games for two market segments. It just depens on what your after. My first baseball SIM was MOgul back in the early 2000's, but for me I foudn it limiting. Others find OOTP too much. That's the beauty of it, you have a selection for what you're after.
A plant ? That's kinda funny.

I was nothing but honest, I even started the post saying I was a faithful, longtime OOTPer & was considering trying BM.
DougWyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #19
George Vedros
Bat Boy

You were in commish mode and you couldn't edit ratings? Was there an Editor tab?

Yes, there was an editor's tab. I don't have the demo anymore. Someone said the scouting option had to be turned off to edit. Is that correct?

Thanks...
Old 05-29-2007, 02:57 AM   #20
Curtis
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Someone said the scouting option had to be turned off to edit. Is that correct?
I can't speak specifically for historical universes, but that's not true for fictional, and I can't think of a reason why the two should be different.

I think you've probably gotten as much help in this thread as you're likely to. I suggest you try summarizing your part of this, the responses you've gotten (and your responses to the responses), and start a thread of your own down in the Technical Support section of the forum. They may be better equiped to help you down there.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote