Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:51 AM   #41
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto
This may not be the right thread to bring this up in, but...I was just editing some players, and I noticed that editing their strikeout abilities had no effect on their predicted stats. That is interesting because aren't we all in general agreement that players with higher strikeout totals have a statistically significant depression in BA? It makes me nervous that we could be generating players who can hit .380 but strike out 199 times in 550 PA. And I thought we dealt with this problem like years ago.

But maybe this is the exact right thread for this question, because if I'm way off base, no one will really care that much.
Ugh... this is the one thing I wanted fixed above all else from the last version. For a game engine that's supposed to be based off the principles of DIPS, this is very, very bad.
Luis_Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #42
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

...and here's a link to the thread I started back in December that sums up what I wanted done basically:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=107934
Old 06-05-2006, 01:18 PM   #43
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
First column is AB, second is hits, third is SO, fourth is BA, fifth is AB-SO, and the last column is BA on non-SO ABs (including HR).
Sixto 06 is awesome.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:43 PM   #44
Hammer755
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagrims
Sixto:BM is awesome.
Fixed!
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #45
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Oh jesus... I just noticed that in not reading very thoroughly the first bunch of posts before I saw the chart and freaked out, that I missed how Sixto included HR in his calculation of BABIP. So, is everything actually fixed with regards to this??

Last edited by Luis_Rivera; 06-05-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:48 PM   #46
Dagrims
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer755
Fixed!
I was actually looking at the last line of his attached chart. I like your edit, though.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #47
mlyons
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis_Rivera
Oh jesus... I just noticed that in not reading very thoroughly the first bunch of posts before I saw the chart and freaked out, that I missed how Sixto included HR in his calculation of BABIP. So, is everything actually fixed with regards to this??
I just finished running a twenty-five year test league and am now slowly going through retired players to check variabilities and distributions and other things of that nature. Hopefully, I'll have some sort of tentative data at some point later this week on that and other things.

Long answer: I don't know.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #48
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyons
I just finished running a twenty-five year test league and am now slowly going through retired players to check variabilities and distributions and other things of that nature. Hopefully, I'll have some sort of tentative data at some point later this week on that and other things.

Long answer: I don't know.
Good man... keep us posted on what you find!!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:54 PM   #49
BoSox Rule
Bat Boy

Quote:
This is far from an exhaustive list, but whether you attack the problem from high average or high strikeouts, there are obviously limits to how many hits a man can get in ABs where he does not strike out. Andres Galarraga probably is the ultimate testament to what we're talking about here. He could not have won his batting title striking out like he did early in his career.

First column is AB, second is hits, third is SO, fourth is BA, fifth is AB-SO, and the last column is BA on non-SO ABs (including HR).
Jim Thome's 2001 BABIP was .356. I'd imagine all those numbers aren't right.

The formula for BABIP is (H-HR)/(AB-HR-SO).
BoSox Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #50
sixto
Hall Of Famer

It was my mistake to call the column BABIP. It should be more like BANSO (batting average no strikeouts).

I apologize though for those who were confused by the fact that those were real-life stats, not simmed stats, in the attached Excel image.

The idea behind BABIP was to determine fielding-independent statistics. HR were included with BB and SO was because HR do not depend on the fielders. That is the only reason they were included - to determine the effect fielders have on statistics.

If you want to determine how a batter was at getting hits when he was at the mercy of fielders, then BABIP will obviously help you get there. However, I don't believe that a player's propensity to strike out has any bearing on that. It was my mistake using the term BABIP. That is not what that column signifies.

Taking HR out of the stats may 'narrow the band' but if anything I wanted to show that no matter how good a player could possibly be at getting hits on balls in play, he could not possibly hit .833 or whatever you would have to do to hit .380 in 550 PA with 199 SO. Whether you take the HR out or not, there is still a virtual cap on how well a player can perform on balls in play.

Last edited by sixto; 06-05-2006 at 05:34 PM.
sixto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #51
jgross68.5
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastric ReFlux
jgross68PA = GPA * player's age

edit cuz my typing skillz totally suk today
Interesting.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:23 PM   #52
jgross68.5
Bat Boy

Quote:
It was my mistake to call the column BABIP. It should be more like BANSO (batting average no strikeouts).
No, no, NO! It's BACON!!!! (Batting Average on CONtact)

Last edited by jgross68.5; 06-05-2006 at 06:24 PM.
jgross68.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #53
Hammer755
Hall Of Famer

Thsi Thred Iz Usless!!! 6tos Tabul Sux!!!
Hammer755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #54
Luis_Rivera
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Whether you take the HR out or not, there is still a virtual cap on how well a player can perform on balls in play.
Yep... well, taking homers out of the equation results in less noise for your purposes, as HR correlate positively with strikeouts, and thus causes more extreme BACON numbers like Thome's '01.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #55
BoSox Rule
Bat Boy

By the way, I think the best stat you could use in OOTP2006 is VORP/PA.
BoSox Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:08 PM   #56
kroney37
Minors (Double A)

If anyone's interested, this is a link to some interesting research regarding players who reach base on errors much more than average.

http://www.retrosheet.org/Research/RuaneT/error_art.htm
kroney37 is offline   Reply With Quote