Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 04-24-2006, 04:35 PM   #21
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
Well, it's the same linkage you have today. What linkage is there between MLB and the Japanese league? None, other than that free agents can sign with the other leagues, which is doable here.

(And yes, you can control multiple manager identities, and you can play as a minor league manager...)

I understand. I guess I come at this from different perspective than just about everyone else. I realize it's a sim and people want to duplicate reality. I guess my preference would be to create an alternative reality.

But it certainly makes sense for you to stick to what most people want. The fact that you will now have pitch-by-pitch game management available is probably enough for me to give it a try.
theobscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:45 PM   #22
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theobscure
I guess my preference would be to create an alternative reality.
Uhh, then why are you trying to replicate MLB?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. If anything, OOTPB caters MORE to the people who want to create entirely fictional worlds than to players who want to imitate MLB precisely. Plenty of raging wars on the forum on that very topic. I'd advise you to stay away, tho', some of those guys bite.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:00 PM   #23
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Uhh, then why are you trying to replicate MLB?

Sorry, just couldn't resist. If anything, OOTPB caters MORE to the people who want to create entirely fictional worlds than to players who want to imitate MLB precisely. Plenty of raging wars on the forum on that very topic. I'd advise you to stay away, tho', some of those guys bite.
Actually I stated why I downloaded those rosters. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut to begin with.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:27 PM   #24
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually I stated why I downloaded those rosters. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut to begin with.
Oh, don't go away mad, I was just teasing.

Anyway, I think you'll have a lot of fun options with the new version of the game. Let us know if you have any more questions!
Old 04-24-2006, 10:21 PM   #25
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Actually, theobscure, you're in good company in that about 50% of those who play OOTP use real players, or at least prefer to start that way. The majority have come to grasp the fact that OOTP does not replicate or duplicate performances. Instead it gives you several ways in which to affect your "alternate reality". Just the fact that you are controlling the league/universe adds a new dynamic to the mix, not to mention the coaches, scouts, A.I. and all the multitude of settings available to you in the game. While the game imports players from a database resulting in ratings which govern his ability and potential, anything can and does happen in the world of your OOTP with all of those dynamics in play. If you want to be sure that Barry Bonds hits 73 homeruns in 2001, you may be better off with other games which are made to re-create stats within a certain margin of error.

OOTP gives so much more than those games and is why I prefer to play historical leagues with it. I don't want to repeat history and OOTP actually is a game that frees me from those constraints.

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:27 PM   #26
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.montoya
. If you want to be sure that Barry Bonds hits 73 homeruns in 2001, you may be better off with other games which are made to re-create stats within a certain margin of error.

OOTP gives so much more than those games and is why I prefer to play historical leagues with it. I don't want to repeat history and OOTP actually is a game that frees me from those constraints.
Actually I would prefer if Barry Bonds had never hit a major league homerun and that goes for Sosa, McGuire and the rest of the exploding forehead gang.

I guess I'll just mess around with it and find the best way that works for me. The thing I'm looking forward to most is being able to manage pitch-by pitch. I've been waiting for that.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #27
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually I would prefer if Barry Bonds had never hit a major league homerun.
I agree. Totally. That guy has disgraced the game and it makes me sick to think that this guy has not been suspended for life while Buck Weaver and Joe Jackson are kept from the hall.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 10:38 PM   #28
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Actually I would prefer if Barry Bonds had never hit a major league homerun and that goes for Sosa, McGuire and the rest of the exploding forehead gang.
AMEN, brother!

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #29
Killing Time
All Star Starter

Just say no to drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
In my best imitation of KT, "I don't know. Would? May? This could have been better. I'm a bit disappointed."
Please don't beat the dead graphics horse.
Killing Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 PM   #30
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

theobscure,

I think this game should be right up your alley, given what you've shared thus far.

[broken record]Enjoy v.5 for free and get yourself immersed. v.6 is much better and there's no doubt 2006 will be even better[/broken record]

Also, if you want to see the scope of what kind of fictional leagues can be created and enjoyed, you might want to check out some online leagues as well.

I'd recommend browsing around in the alternate realities of the following:

The Kabalian Baseball Leagues
Corporate League Baseball
The Western Hemisphere Baseball League

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."
enuttage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:03 PM   #31
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

well, I'm more than 1/2 way through a first season with OOTP5 and I'm pretty impressed. The only thing that really stands out as disappointing to me is the trade AI. Hopefully, that has been fixed or much improved since then.

I decided to go ahead for now with the major league rosters and teams from total minors because I can get through a few seasons relatively quickly and then leave it behind when the new version comes out. If I were to invest in a fictional league and learning about all the players I wouldn't get very far by May 31 and it wouldn't be as easy to just scrap it and move on to the new version and possibilities.

I've just been simulating day-by-day. Since, I don't find the idea of managing games batter by batter very appealing. Again, looking forward to really being able to manage a game with the new version's pitch by pitch capabilities.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:41 PM   #32
battists
Hall Of Famer

Congrats, you're hooked.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:40 AM   #33
Boozie1580
All Star Starter

Quote:
Congrats, you're hooked.
Yeah, it's all over. Nothing he can do at this point.

Boozie1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #34
kagnew35
All Star Starter

druggies

Am planning a 100 year replay league for the new version and will just delete ALL the drug convicted players form my universe. They will never appear in my league.

http://www.soxxcountry.com/ site with FaceGen Central and Duffys Tavern Live OOTP Chat Room
kagnew35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:57 PM   #35
Twelvefield
All Star Starter

OOTPB V's trading abilities are low compared to 6, and I presume 6.5. I had to apply "house rules" to make the trades fair. So the challenge to making good trades does increase as the versions and patches are added on since V. Nobody has really mentioned much about how the new OOTPB handles trades, but we assume that it will be good. Traditionally, though, the trade AI has been a difficult one for Murkus to program, so that if it's kind of weak on realease, he patches it to make it better.
Twelvefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #36
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kagnew35
Am planning a 100 year replay league for the new version and will just delete ALL the drug convicted players form my universe. They will never appear in my league.

That's a good idea. Time to wrap tape measures around player's foreheads to figure out who is in and who is out. It would be interesting to see how the recent history of baseball would be different. One things for sure, it would be better.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #37
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twelvefield
OOTPB V's trading abilities are low compared to 6, and I presume 6.5. I had to apply "house rules" to make the trades fair. So the challenge to making good trades does increase as the versions and patches are added on since V. Nobody has really mentioned much about how the new OOTPB handles trades, but we assume that it will be good. Traditionally, though, the trade AI has been a difficult one for Murkus to program, so that if it's kind of weak on realease, he patches it to make it better.

Yes. It definitely stands out to me as the major weakness of version 5. Teams seem to do the opposite of what they should be doing. Losing teams seem to be obsessed with dumping their young, bargain priced, good to serviceable players in favor of taking on huge contracts for overpriced and/or fading stars.

I'm still having fun with it. I just avoid looking at the transaction wire and go out of the way to make sure I don't take advantage of this shortcoming. In fact, I've been going in the direction of trade self-immolation to try and level things out.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:55 PM   #38
Boozie1580
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yes. It definitely stands out to me as the major weakness of version 5. Teams seem to do the opposite of what they should be doing. Losing teams seem to be obsessed with dumping their young, bargain priced, good to serviceable players in favor of taking on huge contracts for overpriced and/or fading stars.

I'm still having fun with it. I just avoid looking at the transaction wire and go out of the way to make sure I don't take advantage of this shortcoming. In fact, I've been going in the direction of trade self-immolation to try and level things out.
In v6.5, there is a setting in the team info screen where a team's focus is either "win now," "neutral," or "rebuild." For CPU teams these options are appropriately selected based on what the team should probably be doing, and this setting impacts where the CPU will be trying to trade prospects for vets or vice versa (it also impacts things like re-signing veterans, etc.)

Boozie1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #39
theobscure
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozie1580
In v6.5, there is a setting in the team info screen where a team's focus is either "win now," "neutral," or "rebuild." For CPU teams these options are appropriately selected based on what the team should probably be doing, and this setting impacts where the CPU will be trying to trade prospects for vets or vice versa (it also impacts things like re-signing veterans, etc.)

That sounds very good. I'm assuming then that something like that or even better will be part of the upcoming version; which, in and of itself, would seem to markedly improve the trade AI.