Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 03-13-2006, 10:42 AM   #21
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

I had bought High Heat I think in September of 2002, and I had liked previous versions of High Heat because of the stats and career play. But in that 2002 version I was playing and the double play numbers were really really screwed up. The stats were so freaking off in that way I couldn't stand it.

I did some searching on the net in hopes of finding a sim with decent statistical output, but I'm also thinking that someone over at the civfanatics forums mentioned playing OOTP when not playing Civ3, which I was into bigtime at the time. I came over to the OOTP4 website and looked at the screenshots, and the player stats, and was like, "Wow, this looks good." It also mentioned that you could replay history using Lahman's and that was enough to make me go for it.

From there on in, I was hooked.
Gastric ReFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #22
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Markus was a talented utility program writer for Diamond Mind Baseball, so when he finally wrote his own game I automatically bought it.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statfreak View Post
MD has disciples.
Malleus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #23
jgross68
All Star Reserve

I played Strat-O-Matic and most of the Avalon Hill Statis Pro titles as a kid (Title Bout was one of my favorites too). A few years ago, a fellow sports nerd and I were talking at work about how we wished we could find a computer game that replicated the realism of those tabletop games of our youth. That got me to do some searching online which led me first to a demo of Strat-O-Matic and then to PureSim. From the PureSim forums, I saw all the chatter about OOTP and decided to buy OOTP3 - not too long before v4 came out as I remember. I've been hooked ever since, and OOTP turned out to be something of a gateway drug that led me to the heroin of sports sims, Football Manager.

Leagues: OTBL | ABC | OCHO | Off The Wall (Coming Soon!)
Blogs: The Legacy of Tony Womack | How We Got Enron! ...the musical (Now even less frequently updated!)

Topical quote for any occasion: "Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth."
~Henrik Ibsen, "An Enemy of the People"
jgross68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #24
jgross68
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus Dei
Markus was a talented utility program writer for Diamond Mind Baseball, so when he finally wrote his own game I automatically bought it.
This I did not know. I'm fairly new to DMB - backwards as usual. Are any of Markus' utilities still in use for DMB9?

Blogs: The Legacy of Tony Womack | How We Got Enron! ...the musical (Now even less frequently updated!)

Topical quote for any occasion: "Never wear your best trousers when you go out to fight for freedom and truth."
Old 03-13-2006, 12:42 PM   #25
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

I went from playing games I made with baseball cards and computer games like Hardball to FPS Baseball to High Heat. After High Heat died off, I went on a binge of trying a bunch of games to replace it. All the graphical ones were terrible so I went to the text games. I found OOTP and it was pretty much exactly what I wanted.

OOTP Grand League Champion 2015
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:42 PM   #26
thomasthomas
All Star Reserve

I think it popped up in a web search. Can't really remember as this was in 2001, I think. I guess OOTP 3 was my first experience.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:50 PM   #27
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgross68
This I did not know. I'm fairly new to DMB - backwards as usual. Are any of Markus' utilities still in use for DMB9?
IIRC, not since DMB 7.

If you're playing pre-1947 American baseball, then the All-American Mod (a namefiles/ethnicites/nation/cities file pack) is for you.

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #28
phenom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I played Strat-O-Matic and most of the Avalon Hill Statis Pro titles as a kid (Title Bout was one of my favorites too). A few years ago, a fellow sports nerd and I were talking at work about how we wished we could find a computer game that replicated the realism of those tabletop games of our youth. That got me to do some searching online which led me first to a demo of Strat-O-Matic and then to PureSim. From the PureSim forums, I saw all the chatter about OOTP and decided to buy OOTP3 - not too long before v4 came out as I remember. I've been hooked ever since, and OOTP turned out to be something of a gateway drug that led me to the heroin of sports sims, Football Manager.
Avalon Hill and I go way back.
phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #29
CalvinHobbes
Major Leagues

Like some of the others, I was looking for a replacement for FPS:BB98. I found a copy of Season Ticket Baseball in an EB store close to my house. It was a toss up b/n that and Mogul, and since ST allowed you to actually play games, I bought it. Got my brother hooked too.

Now we are habitual users.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:53 PM   #30
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

I came across STB at the public library, of all places. I discovered STB's "true nature" soon afterwards, and here I am - jumped right from STB to OOTP5, in fact.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:59 PM   #31
Malleus Dei
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've been hooked ever since, and OOTP turned out to be something of a gateway drug that led me to the heroin of sports sims, Football Manager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinHobbes
Got my brother hooked too. Now we are habitual users.
!

Quote:
MD has disciples.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:44 PM   #32
jgross68
All Star Reserve

It's not too late CalvinHobbes. If you take nothing else from this thread let my example serve as a cautionary tale for you and your brother. Friends don't let friends play addictive sports sims.

Old 03-14-2006, 01:00 AM   #33
The Great Demo
Major Leagues

i'd been playing high heat since around the sammy sosa cover days and i couldnt find too many updated roster sets at the 3do site. someone directed me to BBSC (back when it was baseball simcentral) and the place had mods galore... i then joined a high heat league and met the community there. then i found out most of this community had more active leagues but they used this software called OOTP. I joined a league without ever having touched the software (you couldnt play custom league files in the demo). curiousity got the best of me one day and i spent an entire weekend downloading ootp (i only had 56k at the time) and ended up playing ootp for as long as i was allowed. I even recall formatting my computer to play it even more. a week later i shelled out the money and purchased the full version.

ive been hooked since and am now in like 213414 leagues.

Future Forties League

NL President and owner of Los Angeles Dodgers: 31-31, defending NL West champs

Owner of:
BBSC's Current League Los Angeles Dodgers: 100-62, 2010 Wild Card
BBSC's Reagan League Los Angeles Dodgers: 51-36, We took Bulldog's old team and made it better!
Alma Mater League's USC Trojans: 32-28
BBSC's Victory League's SouthCentral Saints of San Fernando Valley: 10-19 in our expansion year.
The Great Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:57 AM   #34
kingpin1976
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Demo
I even recall formatting my computer to play it even more. a week later i shelled out the money and purchased the full version.

ive been hooked since and am now in like 213414 leagues.
You must of really been hooked from the start to go through all the trouble of reformating lol
kingpin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 AM   #35
Boozie1580
All Star Starter

I was playing the Baseball Mogul demo and saw OOTP4 mentioned somewhere.
Boozie1580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:22 AM   #36
The Great Demo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1976
You must of really been hooked from the start to go through all the trouble of reformating lol
windows ME came with recovery CDs that didn't need full formatting. just a recovery of the essentials.

Future Forties League

Owner of:
BBSC's Reagan League Los Angeles Dodgers: 51-36, We took Bulldog's old team and made it better!
BBSC's Victory League's SouthCentral Saints of San Fernando Valley: 10-19 in our expansion year.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:59 PM   #37
kingpin1976
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Demo
windows ME came with recovery CDs that didn't need full formatting. just a recovery of the essentials.
Hmm last time I did a recovery instead of full format my registry or something kept all my info on shareware I tried but didnt buy
kingpin1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:06 PM   #38
The Great Demo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin1976
Hmm last time I did a recovery instead of full format my registry or something kept all my info on shareware I tried but didnt buy
did the canadiens made your computer?

Future Forties League

Owner of:
Old 03-14-2006, 07:13 PM   #39
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

The only essential thing about Windows ME is getting rid of Windows ME.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:20 PM   #40
The Great Demo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe
The only essential thing about Windows ME is getting rid of Windows ME.
you're telling me...

Future Forties League

Owner of: