Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-27-2024, 01:03 PM   #81
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
So the Kings went to Denver and promptly fell behind 3-0, leading to Talbot being pulled after one period.

But then David Rittich came in and Fiala scored and the Kings…eventually lost 5-1. (What, you expected drama?) 2-8-5, 9 points out of a possible 30. Fading fast.

(Quinton Byfield missed the game with an illness. I'm feeling fairly sick, myself, Q.)
Amazin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 07:43 PM   #82
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Byfield was still sick yesterday, and so missed the Kings' game in St. Louis, which saw LA survive taking a pile of penalties (STL is the least-penalized team in the League), squander leads of 1-0 and 2-1, fight back to tie it at 3-3, hold on to reach overtime…

…and let in the winning goal only 64 seconds in, picking up their Pity Point and moving on to Nashville.

Kings are now 2-0-10 in extra time (worst in the NHL) and 2-8-6 since December 27, finding only 10 points of a possible 32 under the tree. With the Blues passing them by, they are no longer even nominally a playoff team.

After Nashville, the Kings have 9 days off, as they have their bye week after the ASG. So, obviously, Todd McLellan will be fired.

("He's never the problem…but he's never the solution, either.")

So, thinking about whom to hire, and noticing that St. Louis is prospering post-Craig Berube, I ask…why not Craig Berube? He may have failed to build on the success of 2019, but he succeeded in a rather similar situation.

Going through my 2019 Blues vids [always such a joy] and I see applicable phrases there…like "Lazy plays that you don't think are lazy", or from Mike Yeo's final press conference, when he didn't know that Cal Peterson and the Kings had gotten him fired—

(Peterson was the Kings' #3 goalie as they rebuilt at that point, behind JQ32 and Jack Campbell. The 2-0 shutout he posted over the Blues in St. Louis was the first of what the Kings thought would be a long career.)

Quote:
Let's quit playing ****ty hockey and let's start playing real hockey.…It's correctable. And it's just a question of [our] figuring out how long we want it to take before we decide if we want to be a good team, or if we want to be a team that [defeated hand gesture] plays the game without…
Berube did not let that team stay defeated. Perhaps he can do the same for these Kings. Because somebody needs to.

Quoting a preseason post of mine:

Quote:
Heck of a 3rd line, though. Two guys on 8-by-8 deals.
And of course, Fiala and DuBois are two of the major problems. They reunited on the 3rd line last night (Jared Anderson-Dolan centered) and I started to wonder if once Byfield is healthy, they should become HIS problems. McLellan thought briefly that QB was ready to quarterback a line (in the "new line scheme that lasts exactly five periods" as Jim Fox chirped) before Kopi and Kempe apparently asked why they had to deal with P-LD, so perhaps Byfield being a hungry 20-year-old can motivate the Overpaid Babies into living up those big contracts, in ways the 36-year-old Kopitar can't summon the fire for, nowadays? (Kopi has never been a yeller, anyhow.)

Let Kopitar help LaFerriere elevate his game as Kopi has undeniably helped Byfield, let Trevor Lewis slot into the Stable Second Line alongside Trevor Moore and Philippe Danault (perhaps Danault can change his name to "Trevor" too, just to troll visiting broadcasters?) and let the Wonder Child handle the Problem Children? Just a thought.

Sorry, Todd. If we do end up singing Laura Branigan songs, I'll remember that the first notes were yours. But so it goes.

Last edited by Amazin69; 02-04-2024 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:22 PM   #83
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Kings fire McLellan - https://www.nhl.com/news/todd-mclell...by-los-angeles
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:36 PM   #84
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Yep. Took until Friday, but they did it.

One win wasn't enough to save him, given that it was against a flailing Nashville squad. (In their previous game [I was scouting]. the Preds took a 3-0 lead at Ottawa…prompting the Senators to pull the goalie and bring in Korpisalo, who shut the door and the Senators came back to win 4-3.)

Kings also only got offense from the 4th line. I'm happy to see Grundstrom snap his skid, and even Alex Turcotte (who is on the roster out of desperation, now) got his first NHL goal, but you won‘t turn anything around relying on them.

But the new coach is not in fact Craig Berube, since the Kings promoted assistant Jim Hiller on an interim basis. A pity, since TNT had "Chief" Berube as a guest studio analyst for the Nashville game, and while nobody said anything about McLellan's job being in jeopardy and Berube was never asked if he was interested in the job, he was clearly auditioning, as he had detailed and specific critiques about their play at both intermissions.

(According to Chief, the Kings too often throw the puck to the middle when they should be putting it in the zone and going after it. They need to get a second fore-checker on the puck instead of allowing for easy clears. And Pierre-Luc DuBois needs to "put some skin" on players skating through his defensive zone, instead of just standing there.

Yeah, good luck with that last one, Chief. We should start calling #80 "P-L uBois", because he don't play no D.)

Helene Elliott in the Los Angeles Times criticized GM Rob Blake for making the trade in the first place, given that PL No-D had asked out of Columbus and refused to commit to the 'Peg. I'm sure that Luc Robitaille doesn't WANT to fire Blakey (the Kings have been accused of being a "boys' club" front office, dominated by ex-players), but I think Rob might be in danger of being "promoted" to Senior VP in Charge of Snacks, or the like.

In which case, perhaps HE should have taken the "interim" spot, if the club wasn't bringing in anybody fresh? Blake may never have coached before, but that's what assistants are for, right? You dealt these cards…play them!

That said, good luck, Jim Hiller. You'll need it.

Last edited by Amazin69; 02-09-2024 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:05 PM   #85
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Up North here we mostly refer to him as Prima Luc Donna - he's all about himself.

There are plenty of times when he gives new meaning to the term lazy.

I was elated when he didn't come to Montreal as most rumors suggested he was before going to LA.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 02-04-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:32 PM   #86
reds1
Hall Of Famer

Not to pile on, but I view PLD as standing for Pretty Lousy Deal (for LA).

The Jets acquired C Sean Monahan from the Canadiens a couple of days ago, and while giving up a first round pick (2024 draft) and a conditional 3rd round pick (2027 draft) for him may seem a little steep, its far from being outrageous.

Most important to me, the Jets did not trade away any of their prospects, especially RW Rutger McGroarty, who after serving as captain of Team USA at the recent World Juniors (where they won gold), he continues to tear up the NCAA (10 G, 25 A, 35 P in 21 G).

Monahan will immediately fill a need on the second line providing depth at center (which was exposed when Mark Scheifele went down to injury). Hopefully he will provide a boost to wingers Nikolaj Ehlers and Cole Perfetti as well as on the power play, which has been one of the few glaring weaknesses on this club.

Last edited by reds1; 02-04-2024 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
reds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:52 PM   #87
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds1 View Post
the Jets did not trade away any of their prospects, especially RW Rutger McGroarty, who after serving as captain of Team USA at the recent World Juniors (where they won gold), he continues to tear up the NCAA (10 G, 25 A, 35 P in 21 G).
I have no idea how good a wing that kid will be…but that's an All-Star name, for sure.
Old 02-08-2024, 10:37 PM   #88
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Weird one in Raleigh tonight...........

Martin Necas started it out w/a natural hat trick in the 1st. Then the Avs got w/in 1 before the period ended thank to a goal where Kochetkov looked like he was still dazed from his concussion a few weeks back. Coach Rod benched him for Raanta who shutout the Avs in the 2nd only to, you guessed it, injure himself again. So back came Pytor in the 3rd & he kept Colorado scoreless. Carolina's 5th & final goal never made it into the net. Set Jarvis drew a penalty on a breakaway toward an empty net & was awarded the goal.

After the break, Carolina's GT is still a work in progress. Check that. A work in stasis. Cause really nothing has changed. Pytor has to regain his groove after concussion protocol. Raanta is still injury prone. And Anderssen is cleared to practice after blood clots but still not playing.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:51 PM   #89
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Is what's-his-name (the kid who finished up against the Kings) going to be given the backup slot while Raanta and Freddie heal?
Old 02-09-2024, 06:36 AM   #90
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazin69 View Post
Is what's-his-name (the kid who finished up against the Kings) going to be given the backup slot while Raanta and Freddie heal?
Not likely, but who knows? I think everything is on the table right now. Ideally, IMO they want Pytor to take over. He's the younger one. He's the one they invested into. But none have shown they can be relied on skill wise or health wise. So the Canes are open to any scenario as long as it improves from worse in the league.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-10-2024, 08:12 PM   #91
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

McDirty and his teammates lost on Tuesday at VGK, ending their Canadian-record 16-game winning streak. But they bounced back at Anaheim last night, overcoming three 1-goal deficits to win, 5-3. (Evander Kane, another sweetie, had a hat trick.)

This means that Edmonton is now a ridiculous 25-4 in recent games.

Guess whom Jim Hiller gets to make his coaching debut against tonight? Oy.

It's the second half of the first Hockey Night in Canada since the ASG, following an all-Ontario opener. The studio team spoke highly of Hiller, saying he's a big brain who likes computers and chess and such. They also note that he has brought in D.J. Smith as an assistant, even though D.J, was checkmated out of Ottawa earlier this season. Huh.

(Viktor Arvidsson is still not expected to be healthy, but Rob Blake says he'll be on the road trip that starts on Tuesday. Of course, they could just fly Arvo around, uncertain if he can dress, as yet.

No news on Blake Lizotte returning from IR, either. Apparently that was quite a shot Orlov put on him back in Carolina. I'd ask if Orlov has been taking lessons from Tony D, but apparently Lizotte still has all his limbs, so I guess not.)
Old 02-10-2024, 09:46 PM   #92
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

If the Canes can get Kochetkov to play thru the spring like he did tonight, we got us a true Cup contender. Thru the Canes resurgence it has been rare to say the goalie stole them one. Tonight, Pytor stole them one. They needed a shutout & he got them one.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-11-2024, 01:00 AM   #93
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Sports "unwritten rules" irritate the heck outta me. Today I learned you can't score an empty net goal w/a slap shot.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-11-2024, 11:34 AM   #94
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Sports "unwritten rules" irritate the heck outta me. Today I learned you can't score an empty net goal w/a slap shot.
Maybe you meant this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW1pqSHmMzY

That has nothing to do with unwritten rules, it just plain taunting.

What Grieg did was wrong, there's no need at all to rip that shot into an empty net, it's plain and simple taunting in the Battle of Ontario.

What Rielly did deserves a suspension. There's no need to cross check the guy in the side of the head. I get you're pissed about the taunting, but it doesn't warrant head hunting.

jmo.
Old 02-11-2024, 01:38 PM   #95
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

At least the Kings won the late game. I switched from HNiC to the Kings-cast for that one, so I don't know if the Canadian studio team had a 1st intermission report like Jim Fox being cheerfully "well, at least PLD didn't suck too bad!" (as DuBois had taken a shot on goal, thrown a check and tried to throw a couple of others), but it all worked out as DuBois actually scored in the 2nd, and then Byfield and Rittich took over the rest of the way, with the Kings surviving taking one stupid penalty for too many men and one bad call for the same infraction.

(Byfield was really, really good. I almost wish I'd said more bad things about him earlier on, so that I had more to take back now. Fortunately, I still have Alex Turcotte to kick around, but still.)

PLD got the postgame interview, even though he was only the #3 star. He sounded in good spirits and Nick Nickson and Fox wondered if Jim Hiller had done well by giving him the most ice time of any forward in the first period, and thus showing confidence in him.

And so off to Buffalo, Jersey and an excruciating Boston/Pittsburgh btb next weekend. Let's see what you've got, boys!
Old 02-11-2024, 05:32 PM   #96
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Maybe you meant this one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW1pqSHmMzY

That has nothing to do with unwritten rules, it just plain taunting.

What Grieg did was wrong, there's no need at all to rip that shot into an empty net, it's plain and simple taunting in the Battle of Ontario.

What Rielly did deserves a suspension. There's no need to cross check the guy in the side of the head. I get you're pissed about the taunting, but it doesn't warrant head hunting.

jmo.
Screw that. This is like getting mad someone dunked to clinch the game instead of making a layup. Bunch of immature, crybaby tantrum throwing over nothing. They need to grow up.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-14-2024, 10:31 PM   #97
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Antitrust lawsuit vs the NHL & junior leagues.

This should be interesting.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-16-2024, 03:01 AM   #98
Amazin69
Hall Of Famer

Hey, remember how last season the Kings got blasted 6-0 at Buffalo (all goals in the last period), but Pheonix Copley bounced back to beat the Invinci-Bruins in Boston and that's when the team got hot?

Well, the team's terrible history at Buffalo got worse on Tuesday (Sabres are now 18-3-1 at home in the last 22 meetings versus LA) as the Kings were sliced and diced, 7-0. Kopitar was a -6, the worst game of his career. Rittich got pulled and Talbot came in and was just as bad. (And to top it off, Carl Grundstrom got hurt, and gets to go on LTIR with Lizotte.)

So, with Grundstrom hurt and Arvidsson (finally) back, Jim Hiller shook things up. (He had kept the lines and the D-pairs the same after the Edmonton win, on the "why mess?" theory, but that was out the window after Buffalo) Did it work? Well, the Kings ground out a 2-1 win in New Jersey, but all the scoring came on special teams (a nice short-hand goal by Kopi and Kempe, a PPG by Tyler Toffoli, and a 3rd period power play where Brandt Clarke threw it at the goal and the deflected puck fell to Byfield's feet and he put it in), so who knows how things will work going forward? We'll find out Saturday afternoon in Boston, I suppose.

Byfield continues to grow into a full-fledged threat. (Well, he's 2nd on the team in goals, one ahead of Kopitar and Kempe, so…duh.) On the Satan-cast, Ken Daneyko summed up the loss by saying that QB took the game over in the 3rd, so…well done, Beast. Well done.

(Even Alex Turcotte has a secure job for the moment. Mostly because all of the alternatives are hurt, but why be picky?)

Last edited by Amazin69; 02-16-2024 at 03:03 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:47 AM   #99
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Canes got their 4th point on a short 3 game western trip. Waiver pickup got his 2nd start in goal for Carolina & got the 3-1 win. He is now 2-0 w/Carolina w/wins over the defending champs & Boston (who til yesterday was the NHL pts leader) Not too shabby. Andrei Svechnikov got his 1st goal since returning from his 2nd stint on the scratch list because of injury. And Seth Jarvis had his fingerprints all over the win.

On the goalie front.....Raanta is still out a week or so. Andersson has started practicing. Pytor though looks like he is finally ready to make it his net, not just the caretaker. He has climbed to 8th in GAA but only 25th in sv%. I'd like to see more of Martin to know if he can be a solid backup.

From the trade rumor side, there are whispers the Canes are judging the availability of Juuse Saros from Nashville. While I know the Canes have serious question marks about depth, Saros' sv% is actually lower then Pytor's right now. If the Canes are going to trade a top prospect, their 1st rd pick & a player, I want them to go for a real stopper. Someone who will get them over the hump & carry the defense. Not someone to patch things up.

Canes are also rumored to be looking for a forward to center their 3rd line.

Currently, Carolina is in 2nd 4pts behind the Rangers in the Metro. 4th place in the East. This week they have a 3 game home stand w/the red hot Panthers in the middle on Thursday. This will be their 1st visit since the ousted the Canes in the Cup semis last season.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM   #100
reds1
Hall Of Famer

The Jets went into Vancouver last night against the best team in the NHL, scoring two power play goals and leaving B.C. with two points.

The 4-2 win saw a four-point night from Mark Scheifele (1 G, 3 A), a two-goal effort from Gabriel Vilardi while Sean Monahan scored his first goal as a Jet.

A very physical, playoff-type game with questionable officiating especially in the second period. The difference however, was that the Jets did not get sidetracked with retaliating hard hits or whining. They sucked it up and broke out of their scoring slump. Having the best goalie in the NHL doesn't hurt either, as Connor Hellebuyck was sensational, stopping 35 of 37 shots.